Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

singateco posted:

Another Reddit pandering. They added a redditor to the game

fwiw I'm pretty sure it's someone doing the human equivalent of the horses neighing gag from Young Frankenstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This league became cursed for breaking the league naming scheme.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Another 2 friends I persuaded to give PoE a try promptly quit half way through act 1. That's 7 or 8 now who have peaced out due to that dumb as poo poo act 1 buff to everything.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tai posted:

Another 2 friends I persuaded to give PoE a try promptly quit half way through act 1. That's 7 or 8 now who have peaced out due to that dumb as poo poo act 1 buff to everything.

How will they ever learn to enjoy the game unless they get a taste of the endgame, where survival is more of a quantum physics experiment?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The reflection of paradise tile gives insane exp at higher difficulties. Got almost 2 levels from a difficulty 8 one, and that was with the lake being 10 levels below me (82 to 84, lake was 72)

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Something is definitely off with loot drops in general, I wonder if this is some side effect of the adjustment to rare monster numbers? Whether it was intended or not it feels really bad.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can reliably do Gauntlets and get to the endgame on my very first character and I've practiced Brutus and Merveil on 1 HP characters so much I can do it on my sleep and I still dread the idea of encountering anything with +cold damage in regular Submerged Passage post buff just because of how you can get frozen and stunlocked in a way that doesn't resemble anything of the entire game.

I don't even care about the Mud Flats in particular because I'm good at dodging Rhoas and I dread The Coast slightly more on Gauntlets for some reason, but the entire Act 1 is deeply ill tuned right now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

I can reliably do Gauntlets and get to the endgame on my very first character and I've practiced Brutus and Merveil on 1 HP characters so much I can do it on my sleep and I still dread the idea of encountering anything with +cold damage in regular Submerged Passage post buff just because of how you can get frozen and stunlocked in a way that doesn't resemble anything of the entire game.

i think i spent more time frozen in an a1 cold lake tile than i have in the previous like 6 years of poe combined

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

i think i spent more time frozen in an a1 cold lake tile than i have in the previous like 6 years of poe combined

It's inane because there's like, no real way to counter it depending on what happens. I played Glacial Hammer this league because I wanted to feel like what happens if you just keep the Templar Starter skill and there were many situations where I couldn't have any reaction before being annihilated by Frostweaver mobs. I'm sure it would have been the same regardless of melee skills but the fact the map is tuned so that can happen is just bad and resemble nothing in the game, even for someone who plays extremely low-HP builds prone to being stunned or suffer ailments.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 21, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

It's inane because there's like, no real way to counter it. I played Glacial Hammer this league because I wanted to feel like what happens if you just keep the Templar Starter skill and there were many situations where I couldn't have any reaction before being annihilated by Frostweaver mobs.

you're supposed to use your 3 trans orbs on your 1 ilvl 2 quicksilver and trade 1:1 for an unfreeze flask with someone who wants your piece of poo poo block recovery flask. duh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sometimes I think poe's design has absolutely nothing to do with 'hardcore' and Diablo and everything to do with Chris and friends really wishing it was 1999 again and they had no idea how to play any game really because all their previous experience was mario and contra or something. a lot of the stuff they want us to do more of like orb crafting is just a waste of your time and isn't fun at all. i feel like they have some dream that everyone will wake up one day and just go wow i ex slammed isn't that cool??? and that's the end of the thought

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

was archnem the league semi-recently where they said we were crazy for thinking it was unrewarding and we didn't know what we were talking about. and then like a week later they buffed the drop rates by like 2x. maybe it was scourge

I'm pretty sure they said that about archnem mobs in Sentinel.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Larry Parrish posted:

I checked my filter 5 times and thought it was just filtering chromatic items but I got one today with the proper highlighting and realized that nope, I just somehow didn't get a single chromatic item until A5.

I went the whole campaign without a Quicksilver dropping :negative:

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
I got the raining blood health potion MTX and it turns out it does nothing on a seething flask. I feel like I got pranked by GGG.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Elentor posted:

It's inane because there's like, no real way to counter it depending on what happens. I played Glacial Hammer this league because I wanted to feel like what happens if you just keep the Templar Starter skill and there were many situations where I couldn't have any reaction before being annihilated by Frostweaver mobs. I'm sure it would have been the same regardless of melee skills but the fact the map is tuned so that can happen is just bad and resemble nothing in the game, even for someone who plays extremely low-HP builds prone to being stunned or suffer ailments.
See it's weird because I was just about to come in here and ask if they hosed up lightning damage or Shock (which given the new skills is plausible) for enemies. Things that would normally give me no trouble (like the various orb-spamming bosses, AN rares, etc.) just eat me alive, with near-capped lightning res in like...act 9. And this isn't even getting into the "lightning runners spawn on top of you and then explode half a second later, and everything that can spams the ever-loving poo poo out of that move" that people have mentioned already.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im in a7 and honestly it feels like the first week of sentinel all over again lol. like they just reverted all of the changes. less rares my rear end, it feels like the same number and they're generally stronger now. but one 3-mod boy dropped 60 whetstones so im supposed to be happy about that I guess.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I ran into a scourge/beyond boss in a t6 map, and it seemed incredibly tanky and almost one shot me. is that the normal experience with them?

also, I too am not finding the archnem changes fun or cool. I don't like have tons gargantuans in my map

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only archnemisis enemies that I hate dealing with are when they show up in expedition or grove. Grove rares are disproportionally tanky and expeditions have a chance of bricking if a tanky one pops up enhanced by the other modifiers.

Im going to disable grove so it aint that bad. But I love expedition

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

This is the guy (Ben_ in the chat) that won the previous two leagues' boss race challenges. He is generally extremely positive of the direction of the game, even when the general public sentiment is not. Not a very good sign.

InventorOfTrees fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 21, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Clocks posted:

I only play every other league nowadays (sometimes I even skip 2 leagues in a row!) because leveling through the campaign is like pulling teeth. So I didn't play Sentinel and decided to play now, for some reason, despite the fact that the only thing that's happened since then is more nerfs.

Well, I made it to maps and I'm definitely struggling a bit. Mostly it's the AN rares that literally take me more effort to kill than any map boss. The economy is also extra wonky, and to top it off the lake has been particularly anemic.

I just wish I could understand what GGG is going for.

I also tend to play every-other league because I noticed a pattern of good league bad league good league bad league, likely because they put all their effort into a expansion and then something simple between those, I think you probably started during the "bad league" cycle from the general atmosphere I'm picking up around PoE right now, though it seems like even the good leagues aren't that good lately due to most of their effort going towards PoE2 and it's not a good sign that anything they "beta test" for PoE2 on the PoE leagues is largely hated or rolled back and early promises of things the playerbase actually wants like gigantic piles of crap loot being replaced with well rolled drops and orbs of fusing removed from the game is pushed back until PoE2, if even then.

Elentor posted:

I felt like with the trapper the rares were whatever but getting to Delve 600 with Boneshatter was a real puzzle and I'm sad this dumb video came out wrong because it had me doing some of the poo poo that befuddled me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRszggHzf4

Anytime a Droughtbringer and an Executioner shows up I have to play the game at glacial rhythm not to kill myself, and when your build gets to doing half your life in damage and relying on endurance charges for sustain, both of those mean that leveling was a completely insane task. Going from 94 to 95 was very hard, even tossing in an extra 50k armor on top of everything I had (Indomitable Resolve, Unbreakable, Arctic Armor, blabla) I was always one rare mob away from death on right click.

So then I got to "monsters steal charges" which I think shouldn't be like an instant way to lose every charge you have and now suddenly I went from 500 max stacks to ~40 with immortal call and during that descent I had that coupled with two executioners. All I could think is why, why is this here. I managed to do it but it wasn't fun even for the standards of emergent difficulty I'm used to encounter with my whacky builds, it just felt something that should not be there.

For Sim30 I gave up on the Boneshatterer and did with Traps because, again, it was impossible to do it with Droughtbringers and Executioners spawning.

That's exactly what I dislike about the new AN mods, there shouldn't be any random enemies that completely brick a playstyle or build if you randomly run into them or are locked into a part of the game where you can't bypass them, it's ok if map mods can brick builds because you control them and know what you are getting yourself into for increased rewards and worst case scenario you sell your ultra death map to someone with a build that can run it or throw it into a harvest recipe to change it, but if the only way to play the game was running 8 mod unidentified maps than the only builds anyone would play would be builds that can run every mod and anything else would be a liability to play as.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 21, 2022

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

InventorOfTrees posted:

This is the guy (Ben_ in the chat) that won the previous two leagues' boss race challenges. He is generally extremely positive of the direction of the game, even when the general public sentiment is not. Not a very good sign.

Poggers

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

3.13 with the current atlas tree. Gimme a private league with this and I'd play 20 hours a day.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm really interested to see if POE2 ends up being any more approachable to new players than POE1 is right now, or if they just double down on being impenetrable or even borderline hostile to new players like this game feels right now. The act 1 buff is one of the most bizarre decisions I can think of.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

queeb posted:

3.13 with the current atlas tree. Gimme a private league with this and I'd play 20 hours a day.

But what about the balance?! This game that is fundamentally a singleplayer experience needs to be balanced around what other people do, even though the game itself does everything it can do have you not play with or interact with others

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm still having fun in acts! I put an essence tile at difficulty 5 on the lake and couldn't kill two of the essences so I kited them forward into a harby zone and the constant on death explosions from obliteration helped take one down but the final essence mob was just too rippy and I had to nope out. I had a lot of fun with the tense play to stay alive there. I get the impression that most people here would have absolutely hated that. I haven't had much time to play, but today I have more so I'll kill kitava this morning and try to blast through white maps and see how my perspective changes.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So as I mentioned a few pages back I came back for this league from being away for 2 or 3 years. Basically gone since pandemic.
I’ve gotten myself to act 7 but I think I’m done. Game is more difficult than I remember and loot sucks.
I’m having a difficult time even following the guide because the gear it says to get isn’t dropping and I don’t have the material needed to craft it.
I play SSF so maybe that’s just me making stupid decisions.

I think PoE for me is in this weird spot where I *want* to like it’s complexity but I think the complexity has surpassed retarded levels.
I have all these options but I can’t effectively use any of them because nothing valuable ever actually drops. I find myself pining for the loot piñata that is Diablo 3.

I also loathe going through the campaign again every league.
I wish I could just jump in and start doing mapping right away.

I have this gut feeling that GGG balances this game based off of what streamers / no lifers are able to accomplish.
Rather than taking a normal persons experience into account. I can’t play this game 8 to 12 hours a day GGG.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 21, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SSF is more difficult yes .

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Clocks posted:

I just wish I could understand what GGG is going for.

I think they're going for making "hard mode" as much "the only mode" as possible.

Tai posted:

I feel like CW would cheer at knowing this.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

xZAOx posted:

I feel like CW would cheer at knowing this.

Idk where the idea that CW is some sort of ARPG sadist comes from. Things should be hard, challenges should match risk, dying is exciting, ex orb slamming should be exciting... all things Chris has said a bunch. I want new players to bounce off... not a thing the rich man has said.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
He actually has said he's okay with people bouncing off act 1 because it means they probably wouldn't stick with the game anyways.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
ive had a lot more fun adopting the position that its okay if i skip a couple of stupid rares in each map

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Archnemesis mobs need their health cut in half. No changes to their spawning behavior, no changes to their risk v. reward, just cut their goddamn health in half.

League mechanic common tiles need to be much more rewarding.

League mechanic special tiles need to be much more common.

Mirrors should offer at a minimum 2 sets always, sometimes 3, or very very rarely 4.

Right now it's standard league with a lovely incursion every 10-12 maps. Do not like. I quit Sentinel about a week in because it was standard league but archnemesis mobs ruin everything and it's looking like I'll just do the same for this league.

Oh and per the chatter about leagues/challenges: I have played every league since closed beta to 34, 37, or 40 challenges with the exception of two leagues: Talisman and Sentinel.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

InventorOfTrees posted:

He actually has said he's okay with people bouncing off act 1 because it means they probably wouldn't stick with the game anyways.

this is a misrepresentation of what he said. he said hes okay with players bouncing off act 1 when they look at the passive tree and decide they dont want that kind of complexity. because the game isnt going to get any less complicated from there. this is different from bouncing off the game because of stupid rare implementation

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

they should change the damaging cold ground aoe effect though. its barely possible to see and doesnt look any different from a regular, non damaging chilled ground

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Jinnigan posted:

ive had a lot more fun adopting the position that its okay if i skip a couple of stupid rares in each map

I felt this way until my chests in the Lake became locked behind killing all of those stupid rares and skipping none. So you spend 5 mins fighting one rare monster for a chest of loot that is usually entirely filtered out...

game is pain right now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m hoping that by the time i slog through into mAps something will change even if it’s only my build coming properly online

Also buff lake chests

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Captain Foo posted:

I’m hoping that by the time i slog through into mAps something will change even if it’s only my build coming properly online

Also buff lake chests

Spoiler alert: it gets way worse in maps because loot in maps is absolute garbage. Like, in ten maps I dropped one single alchemy orb levels of garbage.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

I think PoE for me is in this weird spot where I *want* to like it’s complexity but I think the complexity has surpassed retarded levels.
I have all these options but I can’t effectively use any of them because nothing valuable ever actually drops. I find myself pining for the loot piñata that is Diablo 3.

I don't usually bother with leagues but after giving it a try i like the mechanic but the rewards are shite so far (not at maps yet) but even for going through the acts the loot is pretty meh.

If they don't alter the drop rate i'm off to Grim Dawn for a stable piñata experience.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The real ultimate stinker is when you slog through a high difficulty lake setup (because you're a sadist or something) and the final tile has a mob stuck in a pillar and immortal so you can't complete it and you leave with nothing. This has happened to me 3 times so far. Decided to just say gently caress it and I'm just straight up banking all my mirror tablets and ignoring the mechanic for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Wilekat posted:

Decided to just say gently caress it and I'm just straight up banking all my mirror tablets and ignoring the mechanic for now.

I've started doing this, until the mechanic gets patched three times. Surely when I run them all in two weeks I'll be RICH...