Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PancakeTransmission posted:

Love that in 2022, people with sensory issues are still told they are stupid for not liking certain foods or textures. Not even that someone is so picky that they only eat chicken nuggets. They just wanted to avoid pineapple (one the worst fruits)

if you read my original post you'll see the only part that i thought was stupid was her confusing the normal function of pineapple for an allergy. but please tell us about how her not liking Hawaiian pizza is the same as having a sensory issue or whatever the gently caress you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
settle the gently caress down everyone, it’s pineapple

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

teen witch posted:

Pineapple is serious business

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Larry Parrish posted:

it's ok to not like pineapple but lol at thinking tasting the citrus and whatever the pineapple enzyme that wrinkles your mouth and makes it such a good tenderizer is a mild allergic reaction or something

Could just be a regular allergy to fruit. I get a reaction like this to all raw fruit and most nuts.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I thought the digestive enzyme thingy in pineapple is deactivated by cooking? So if the op is getting an itchy mouth from cooked pineapple, it probably does mean they have some kind of allergy going on.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
bob and his rear end in a top hat friends need to get their pizza orders changed to anchovy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pookah posted:

I thought the digestive enzyme thingy in pineapple is deactivated by cooking? So if the op is getting an itchy mouth from cooked pineapple, it probably does mean they have some kind of allergy going on.

ive definitely got it from eating it on pizza before. it takes a lot more though, compared to just one bite of fresh pineapple, or like half a can of the canned stuff. it does leave me with an unpleasant tingly-itchy feel too but it's tasty so whatever

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ilmucche posted:

Ask me about eating 4 kiwis for lunch and regretting my choices

A buddy of mine heard that if you ate pineapple before wisdom teeth surgery it would help with swelling so he ate an entire one in a sitting. So much blood...

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 21, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i bet the bigger issue with pineapple on pizzas is that they used straight up the whole damned pineapple. the core is much worse in terms of having a high concentration of bromelain

but lol at this

quote:

The core has high concentration of Bromelain as compared to the fruit and hence is more beneficial. It is also a great source of Vitamin C, just like the fruit, and boosts your immunity. Bromelain also improves heart health and helps in thinning of the mucus in conditions like asthma, for easy breathing.

lmao yeah im gonna bleed out my mouth to help my asthma tia

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The best pizza is sausage, pineapple, and jalapeno; salty, sweet, and spicy in every bite.

It is known.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pineapple is an abomination before God and man, and in a just world a Holy Crusade would have rid the world of the yellow menace long ago.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

mediaphage posted:

i bet the bigger issue with pineapple on pizzas is that they used straight up the whole damned pineapple. the core is much worse in terms of having a high concentration of bromelain

but lol at this

lmao yeah im gonna bleed out my mouth to help my asthma tia

bromelain sounds like the brain chemical that gets released when you high five somebody

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for buying my son a dog bed to sleep in?

quote:

So me (31M) and my wife (35F) have two kids (10M, 4F) and a large dog, her name is Margo and she’s 9. About a year ago someone stole her, it took a lot of searching but we found her, during the time she was gone our son was distraught. And when we got her back he refused to leave her side for about a week. And this included sleeping in the dog bed with her.

Things are better now, but it’s not unusual to find him sleeping in the dog bed or just sitting on it and relaxing. I’ve asked him about it and he’s just says it’s more comfortable and relaxing than a normal chair. I don’t really have an issue with it but my wife doesn’t like it, she told me it’s dirty for him to sleep in the same bed as the dog.

I thought I had come up with an idea to kind of solve things. I brought a large dog bed, very similar to margo’s but it was specifically for our son, to have in his room or to bring out into the front room. I got it in his favourite colour, yellow and gave it to him while my wife was out (not intentional at all, it just arrived while she was out) and he loved it. He put it in the corner of his room and we actually rearranged and decorated his room a little bit.

After my wife got home while I was cooking dinner he dragged it out from his room to the front room to watch something. My wife asked him what that was and he excitedly told her about it. She was clearly unhappy but waited till he went to bed to say anything.

She blew up at me asking why the hell I brought him a dog bed. I knew he found it comforting and I knew she didn’t like it when he’s in Margo’s bed so I thought this was a good solution. She accused me of treating our son like a pet and refused to hear any explanation from me. She wants me to take it form him because she doesn’t want to be the bad guy. I refused, knowing how upset he would be. She’s now making comments heavily insinuating she will get rid of it. I didn’t really think this would be a big deal but now I’m not sure, have I missed something, AITA?

Edit: spelling

Edit 2: just because I'm seeing some confusion and assumptions, he still sleep in his actual bed, just sometimes during the day or when he gets nightmares or just sometimes because why not he'll opt for the dog bed.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

IT BURNS posted:

The best pizza is sausage, pineapple, and jalapeno; salty, sweet, and spicy in every bite.

It is known.
Add anchovies, seriously, that’s the best combo.

But don’t add anchovies if the pizza place doesn’t sell a lot of them, because week-old anchovies are legit bad, and maybe why so many people don’t like them. My BIL’s sister would bring a jar of anchovies when coming over for pizza, because she loved them and the places nearby didn’t sell a lot so the quality was suspect. This was in St Louis so I think that’s why, this is not a St Louis Pizza Derail.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Remulak posted:

Add anchovies, seriously, that’s the best combo.

But don’t add anchovies if the pizza place doesn’t sell a lot of them, because week-old anchovies are legit bad, and maybe why so many people don’t like them. My BIL’s sister would bring a jar of anchovies when coming over for pizza, because she loved them and the places nearby didn’t sell a lot so the quality was suspect. This was in St Louis so I think that’s why, this is not a St Louis Pizza Derail.

If you ask for anchovies on the side, they'll often just give you an unopened can or two, then you also have the anchovy oil to dip the crust into!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i live in the loving sticks and the only pizza place that delivers is pizza hut and they don't have anchovies :negative:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

IT BURNS posted:

It is known.

Pepperoni instead of Italian sausage. It's on the menu of a few pizza places in Seattle, and they use fresh pineapple.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
The best taco trick I picked up in Mexico was slivered fresh pineapple over a properly spicy taco.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress anchovy likers, there's just enough of you that my pizza place carrys them but not enough to actually go through an open can before it gets even more vile than normal. And then I have to smell it until your happy rear end comes and picks it up. I don't know why we still stock them honestly cuz we throw away like more than half of every can and we can't find them any smaller. Lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Piell posted:

WTF how can this possibly be a problem? Why do so many people get so weird about things that don't matter even slightly?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

teen witch posted:

Forget it Jake, it’s Pinea Town.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HopperUK posted:

WTF how can this possibly be a problem? Why do so many people get so weird about things that don't matter even slightly?

Sounds like he's using like a beanbag chair or something. He's ten, let the kid be a kid and take a picture of him sleeping to ambush him with at his wedding if he ever gets married

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

The best taco trick I picked up in Mexico was slivered fresh pineapple over a properly spicy taco.

so much depends on a spicy taco, topped with pineapple, beside the white gringos

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are seen and appreciated.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Larry Parrish posted:

gently caress anchovy likers, there's just enough of you that my pizza place carrys them but not enough to actually go through an open can before it gets even more vile than normal. And then I have to smell it until your happy rear end comes and picks it up. I don't know why we still stock them honestly cuz we throw away like more than half of every can and we can't find them any smaller. Lol
I always just put the whole tin on the pizza to avoid this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was in a games club at Uni where we would do a bulk order of 20 pizza every week and ended up adding anchovies to my pizza because everyone was doing some variation of pepperoni, spicey beef and something and so there would always be an amount of pizza swapping as someone took a bite and realised they had picked up one with BBQ sauce.

Ain't nobody accidentally picking up the pizza with anchovies on it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pookah posted:

It's barely cooked on a pizza though, for a few minutes at high heat. It's not like you're boiling it down.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for refusing to follow the cleaning schedule

quote:

I (21m) live in a shared apartment with John (23m) and Jenny (26f). Jenny is the person who has moved in most recently and has been here for a bit over a month. A few days ago while we were eating dinner (just Jenny and I, John is currently travelling) she mentioned that she was planning to introduce a cleaning schedule when John is back at the apartment. Apparently she feels like she's doing 90% of the cleaning currently (which is true I guess) so she wants to introduce a weekly rotation of one person cleaning the bathroom, one person the kitchen and one person taking out the trash and recycling.

While Jenny does do 90% of the cleaning I think she's definitely putting in more effort than necessary. For example she mops the bathroom and kitchen floors weekly (which is overkill imo), or cleans the glass doors of the shower stall which is purely for aesthetic reasons in my opinion. Before she moved in we sorta just cleaned after ourselves (occasionally wiping the counters for example) and only did more involved cleaning once things got visibly dirty.

So I told her that I don't think a schedule is necessary and I'm pretty sure that John would agree with me. Three people in one apartment isn't that much so you don't need to deep clean all common rooms weekly. We did fine without one previously and if she has higher cleanliness standards then she has to put in more work. She seemed annoyed and said living in shared apartments is about compromises and she's already doing us a favour with this schedule since all the less frequent tasks (cleaning windows, deep cleaning the oven etc.) would likely fall on her anyways. She was silent for the rest of the dinner.

I'm pretty confident in my opinion since John and I are in the majority with our cleaning approach but her continuing to be annoyed makes me a bit doubtful. We also did clean the apartment before she was here for the showing so maybe we created false expectations. So AITA for refusing the schedule?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just think the amount of work she's asking is unreasonable when we're perfectly happy to live in a sty, occasionally wiping the counters when the crust gets to be a bit much

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think the only thing that disgusts me more than this letter is Prudence's answer:

quote:

Dear What About Amy,

Thank God you still have a way to contact Amy. What happened with the furniture and decor you bought for her is so unfair and cruel. You can’t do much about what goes on in that house (unless of course you see things escalating from unfair to abusive), but please remember that it’s not material things that will make or break her emotional wellbeing during her last two teenage years. That means your job is simple: Talk to her, talk to her, talk to her. Listen to her, listen to her, listen to her. Always remind her that you’re there for her. Tell her how much you wish you could change her living situation and how much she’s worthy of better treatment. Keep having these conversations (along with lighter ones about her everyday life and interests). Help her to dream about a life after high school and a future in which she has her own space and only people who respect and value her are allowed into it. Don’t underestimate the power of unconditional love and reminding a kid in a bad situation that it’s not a reflection of her and that she deserves more.

I mean, okay sure, maybe Prudence cannot outright say "KICK DOWN THE DOORS AND GET AMY OUT OF THERE NOW", but it still pisses me off. Would it be kidnapping if the OP did somethibg along those lines? Like maybe pick Amy up after school? Clear things up with the cops beforehand?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

CommissarMega posted:

I think the only thing that disgusts me more than this letter is Prudence's answer:

I mean, okay sure, maybe Prudence cannot outright say "KICK DOWN THE DOORS AND GET AMY OUT OF THERE NOW", but it still pisses me off. Would it be kidnapping if the OP did somethibg along those lines? Like maybe pick Amy up after school? Clear things up with the cops beforehand?

It 100% would be kidnapping even if done with the best intentions.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Piell posted:

She wants me to take it form him because she doesn’t want to be the bad guy

loving lol. I love it when someone wants something horrible to be done but wants someone else to do it so they don't face the consequences. Especially when its a parent throwing the other parent under the bus. This story doesn't get bonus points though because a step parent isn't involved.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommissarMega posted:

Like, Prudence is being very generous with poo poo they stole from OP. At the very least she can start by demanding they reimburse her for what she gave Amy and they misappropriated, and then look into adoption for the two remaining years Amy has as a minor.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for kicking my SIL out of my wedding because of what she wore?

wait does red mean i hosed the groom? i wore a maroon tux to both my sisters weddings =O

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

moonmazed posted:

i live in the loving sticks and the only pizza place that delivers is pizza hut and they don't have anchovies :negative:

not that sticks if someone delivers to you lol

Larry Parrish posted:

especially oil packed will last forever in the freezer. just freeze them in useful amounts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

snergle posted:

wait does red mean i hosed the groom? i wore a maroon tux to both my sisters weddings =O

wouldn’t be the first time this happened ime

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The most interesting thing about that post to me is that OP seems to have stumbled on a Hawaiian pizza cult and not whatever all this is about pineapple

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

AITA for insisting my niece is co-flower girl with my fiancé’s niece?

quote:

My fiancé and I are planning our wedding. She comes from a large family. She has 5 sisters, most of them have kids. 4 of her sisters are her bridesmaids, one is serving as maid of honor. I come from a smaller family: just my parents, my sister and my niece, Brynn. Brynn is 3 years old and pretty much my best pal. I’m her godfather,I love her to bits.

I didn’t care when my fiancé didn’t choose my sister to be a bridesmaid and likewise my sister was cool with it. I did feel some sort of way because I have all 4 of my fiancé’s brother-in-laws in my wedding party (at fiancé’s request) but ultimately, it’s her side of the party, she can do what she wants.

Then it came time to pick the younger roles in the wedding. Her older nephews are junior groomsmen, the younger is the ring bearer. She only has one niece, Aubrey, who’s 4. My fiancé wants her to be the flower girl. I said that’s fine, but I also want Brynn to be one. They can walk down the aisle together, it’d be super cute. Brynn loves playing with Aubrey, so they get along.

My fiancé says she wants our wedding to be “traditional” so there can only be one flower girl. I suggested Brynn could hold a sign or something while Aubrey threw flowers. My fiancé said no, she can sit with my sister and parents.

At this point, I insisted and said Brynn would be flower girl. I texted my sister and asked, she agreed. My fiancé got pissed and I said it’s my day too, Brynn means a great deal to me and she’ll be in the wedding. My fiancée and Aubrey’s mom are mad at me, saying I’m stealing Aubrey’s spotlight. AITA?

Update: Okay, wow. Did not expect this to blow up the way it did. Thank you to everyone who reached out.

This morning, my fiancé and I sat down to talk about the wedding in general. I brought up Brynn and Aubrey. My fiancé just kept parroting “it’s tradition, let Aubrey have the spotlight”. She shot down compromise after compromise (Aubrey walks first, Brynn blows bubbles or holds a sign, etc). Finally, my fiancé was honest. She doesn’t want Brynn in our wedding because Brynn has Down Syndrome. She said everyone will be looking at her, taking pity, etc. Turns out it wasn’t about a spotlight on Aubrey, but my loving fiancé. I told her to gently caress herself, called her ableist and said don’t worry, there won’t be a spotlight to steal anymore because there’s no wedding.

I’ve left our apartment, staying at my sister’s and playing with Brynn. My phone has been blowing up with texts and calls from my fiancé. Magically she’s ready to compromise now. I need time but am likely done. Y’all were right.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Acid vat's too good for some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My first thought was a race thing but sometimes one is surprised.

AITA for punishing my son by taking away his phone after he deleted my daughter's Minecraft world?

quote:

I (41f) am married to my husband (42m) and we have two kids: our son (11m) who we will call Zach, and daughter (9f) who we will call Lizzie (not their real names for privacy reasons).

Lizzie LOVES the video game Minecraft, and has played it nearly every day since we bought it for her on Xbox for her 8th birthday. She is a super artsy kid and loves to create extravagant buildings and structures in Minecraft, and she has shown me her amazing creations many times.

Two days ago, she was playing downstairs and Zach asked if he could play with her. Lizzie didn’t let him play even though we have two Xbox controllers, and Zach was very angry for not letting her play. I don’t know why Lizzie didn’t let him play, I was in the kitchen upstairs.

Yesterday, when my husband and I were still sleeping, Lizzie started screaming and crying downstairs. She always wakes up early to play. Her world with all of her creations is gone, and she told us between sobs that she can’t get it back, and she thinks that Zach deleted it last night.

When Zach woke up, I asked him if he deleted Lizzie’s world, and he started laughing and said that she should have let him play with her. I was livid. Lizzie loves that game so much and her creations were beautiful, and now they’re gone forever, not to mention that she is devastated that the world she has spent over a year on is gone forever.

I took my son’s brand new phone away (we had just bought it for him this month for his birthday). My son is acting like this is the end of the world. He says he needs his phone because everybody else at school has one, and he needs to fit in. He is starting middle school this week and claims he doesn’t want to become a social outcast. I told him he can have his phone back in a month, and not having a phone won’t make him an outcast, but he refuses and wants it now.

My husband think his that taking away his phone is going too far, and that Lizzie’s game being gone “isn’t that big of a deal,” but by that logic, isn’t Zach’s phone being gone not that big of a deal either? I don’t know what to do, it’s been over 24 hours and Zach won’t talk to me, and Lizzie is still moody. So Reddit, can I get some advice. AITA?

I think a month is rather lenient. I'd keep the phone as long as it took the other kid to rebuild the Minecraft world.