Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I suddenly have tons of snails in my pond, every time I clean out my skimmer box it's filled with dead snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Dead snails are just a way to slowly add calcium to the water as their shells dissolve.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds promising, like a population boom ran out of food and is dying off maybe?

I found a big old ramshorn in a tank I thought was just plants so I moved a couple of friends across for him, he’s been munching algae in there solo for long enough. When they get big they can go surprisingly fast!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I love mystery snails, even if they poop unbelievable amounts. They look majestic and do a good job eating the algae in the tank. Throw in a chunk of cuttlefish bone, the odd vegetable, and add a pinch of baking soda if the water gets acidic and they're pretty much hands off. It's my favourite creature in the aquarium.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Are these the snail eggs you all warned me about?

There's apparently 4 of these little dot blob.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

RodShaft posted:

Are these the snail eggs you all warned me about?

There's apparently 4 of these little dot blob.

Yeppers

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Okay, I'll pull them out. If I miss any it's fine, I'll just have a bunch of extra snails.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's how I manage to keep the duckweed and pond snails under control: overstocking with mystery snails. After letting a single clutch hatch, and attempting to let them grow out in my tank, they scraped all the pond snail eggs off every surface, preventing them from reproducing, and they ate all of my floating plants. I was trying not to over feed too much, but they got real hungry. Eventually I would be scooping handfuls of snails out, just to make room for the others to grow more.

But yeah, they leave literal mounds of droppings.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Went to feed fish in pond, see a large hawk fly out of the corner of my yard. Fish acting weird. Usually the goldfish sweep up a ton of food immediately, see one fish hiding under the pond pump electric cord. Realize there are no other goldfish. Upon inspection three of four medium sized goldfish have disappeared. Then I noticed the gold fish scales on the rim of the pond

I hope you enjoyed your lunch, hawk :mad:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Time to buy some anti-bird netting. That hawk knows where to find food now.

https://twitter.com/primawesome/status/1178671690261286918?lang=en

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hadlock posted:

Went to feed fish in pond, see a large hawk fly out of the corner of my yard. Fish acting weird. Usually the goldfish sweep up a ton of food immediately, see one fish hiding under the pond pump electric cord. Realize there are no other goldfish. Upon inspection three of four medium sized goldfish have disappeared. Then I noticed the gold fish scales on the rim of the pond

I hope you enjoyed your lunch, hawk :mad:

drat that sucks to lose fish that way :( This is something I always worry about but after a couple years of heron, hawks, cats, and raccoons very actively trying to get them I've managed to not lose a single fish so the setup here seems to be working. My guys have a 4' deep pond, lots of soft cover in the form of plants, and hard cover bunkers in the form of some CMU's and concrete pipes scattered around the bottom. I hope it remains sustainable because I'd hate to have to have an ugly net or something. I never thought I'd get attached to fish but they've really become pets for us.

Here's my setup. It's about 12x16' with a little creek feeding it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's gorgeous

Mine is only 5x6 and plant cover is lacking, new, additional plants arrived yesterday but they're still soaking in my quarantine tub

Pond is only 24" deep on a good day. We're expecting rain so it's 5+ inches more shallow this weekend

What plants are the big green bushy ones, those look like awesome cover

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hadlock posted:

That's gorgeous

Mine is only 5x6 and plant cover is lacking, new, additional plants arrived yesterday but they're still soaking in my quarantine tub

Pond is only 24" deep on a good day. We're expecting rain so it's 5+ inches more shallow this weekend

What plants are the big green bushy ones, those look like awesome cover

I'm not sure what they are, the pond store just sold them as "oxygenating plants". I started with maybe a couple 1' lengths with a little weight clamped to the end so they sunk down. They went 4' down to the bottom where I couldn't see them for a year, then this year it hyper-grew into a huge underwater tangle and came all the way to the surface and bloomed.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Anachris maybe?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Every single plant consumes CO2 and produces oxygen as a byproduct of their metabolism/photosynthesis/etc , as I understand it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Every single plant consumes CO2 and produces oxygen as a byproduct of their metabolism/photosynthesis/etc , as I understand it.

But not every plant grows fast and is OK as an outdoor plant.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't find any concrete examples of true anerobic plants, but according to a bunch of hand wavey stuff, some swamp plants (couldn't find any concrete examples) can sometimes be partially anerobic, but otherwise seems to be exceedingly rare

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Desert Bus posted:

Anachris maybe?

Yeah looks like Anachris/ elodea. We've got some in our pond and it makes those little white flowers on the surface.

Herons/ raccoons/ who knows ate me down to 2 shubunkin this spring but they made babies. Now I've got 2 adults and like 20 young... Waiting to get rid of some until I see if the predators thin things out again.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looks like it could be hydrilla. You may need to trim it back, so it doesn't turn the whole pond into one tangled mass.

Also, Baronjutter, let me bring you some buckets og guppies and mystery snails. I've a big surplus in Courtenay.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Noticed some small possible holes at the base of my serpent star's legs. Did an extra water change today; yesterday I fed the tank some krill, and found a small bit that was missed. So hopefully the water change took care of the nitrate spike. But a day seems a bit fast for damage, so ordered a new nitrate test kit.

I just wish I knew more of the tank's history. My friend died a year ago in April, and I doubt anyone took care of the tank other than feeding and maybe topping off the water.

Star was out and around exploring Friday so I took him to be hungry. Maybe it's time, once I know the water is fine, to add some more scavenger asterina stars or snails or something.

The feather worms that have covered a rock remain fine. But from what I've read, they tolerate a poo poo load more bad poo poo than starfish.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I think I finally cracked the algae problem in my 75G. During my last filter change about 2 weeks ago I swapped out the purigen bag for a bag of Fritz MaxOut the LFS suggested. Within a week I've got every patch of green algae on the rocks and driftwood looking terribly pockmarked as my algae eaters pick away at it (which has never been the case previously, they picked at it but weren't making much headway) and seemingly not growing back.

It's kinda weird because I've used phosphate absorbing media before in combination with purigen and didn't see any major impact like this. I didn't even gravel vac, so I can't think of any other factor that couldn't played into this pretty sudden change. Really curious exactly what this stuff added to the equation and kinda concerned about using it too long as whatever it's nuking to wipe out the algae may impact the plants at some point.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 22, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm getting an interesting look with pothos roots becoming coated in black beard algae at the upper back part of my 29long. Makes for good shelter for the fry, and waves nicely in the bit of current near the surface (put in a small pump & filter / spray bar).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

B33rChiller posted:

Looks like it could be hydrilla. You may need to trim it back, so it doesn't turn the whole pond into one tangled mass.

Also, Baronjutter, let me bring you some buckets og guppies and mystery snails. I've a big surplus in Courtenay.

That's quite a drive! Would guppies get along ok with goldfish?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

That's quite a drive! Would guppies get along ok with goldfish?

nah, it would be a horrible idea to put them together. You're going to need a big indoor pond for the gupps. Don't worry, you'll be up to your ears in them, and looking for a place to dump them in no time! (just like me)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

I'm getting an interesting look with pothos roots becoming coated in black beard algae at the upper back part of my 29long. Makes for good shelter for the fry, and waves nicely in the bit of current near the surface (put in a small pump & filter / spray bar).

On that note I did finally exterminate all BBA in my tank months back. Ended up being a combination of hitting the tank with Seachem Excel at 10ml/10G for a week after boiling the driftwood it kept coming back on for a solid 20 minutes.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I inherited a 55 gallon tank and stand, so I set up a grow out tank for my CPDs. I also have been interested in trying out soil substrates but didn't want to dedicate a tank to it, so I'm trying it in pots.

I have a lot of tanks...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/jrHSRbv.mp4

My nerite is ridiculous and yes I will clean my lid glass

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jrHSRbv.mp4

Hey, where you going?
On an ADVENTURE!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

No one looks at the aquarium through the lid anyway :shrug:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wallet posted:

No one looks at the aquarium through the lid anyway :shrug:

If I cleaned my lid my aquarium would have a LOT more light.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well today loving sucks. Got home from work and found that a breaker tripped in my fish room sometime after I was in there yesterday afternoon. My freshwater tanks were all ok, but my saltwater tank completely crashed. Purple tang and red head solon fairy wrasse that I've had for 5+ years both dead, big maxima clam covered in ricordea is probably dead, 30 heads of frogspawn look like they are toast, blue tuxedo urchin is a goner, couldn't find my blenny. Most of the other coral is in pretty rough shape, dunno if any will recover. Only thing I know is still alive is a pair of engineer gobies and an aiptasia eating filefish. Mixing some fresh saltwater now for a big water change, but I'm not hopeful about any of this. Really leaning towards tearing it all down and selling off what I can, but I'm gonna sleep on it at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Saw two goldfish swimming today, so I guess the hawk only brutally murdered two fish, not three; one fish is just much better at hiding from predators, than the one that thinks a power cord is good cover

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

That really loving sucks Enos, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a garbage situation to end up in.

Definitely agree with waiting on making the decision on what to do next, worst case you aren't make a decision you will later regret.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress dude I am so so sorry. I am always terrified of the power going out and killing my tanks. One main reason I rehomed my axolotls; if the AC went out, they'd probably cook in an hour or less in the summer.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Holy gently caress dude I am so so sorry. I am always terrified of the power going out and killing my tanks. One main reason I rehomed my axolotls; if the AC went out, they'd probably cook in an hour or less in the summer.

I eventually put mine on a UPS after feeling too nervous a bunch of times during a storm and idiot driver related power outages, but even that's gonna only be a few hours of life for the pump.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Although it's surely difficult, I appreciate folks sharing their hardships in the hobby. I haven't thought about it much, but we do have fairly unstable electric supply around here, and that's a consideration I should start thinking about.

Sorry to hear that Enos, but thank you for sharing.

Hadlock, it sound like you're past the first steps in breeding hawk resistant goldfish (aiming at a bit of humorous silver lining here). Glad to hear you have more survivors than previously thought.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah of note, I had two "fancy" decorative fantail goldfish, which are designed/bred for aquarium (indoor) use, and I had two Shubunkin style* goldfish that were specifically bred for being viewed from above in a pond (outdoor)

Unsuprisingly, the fat, wobbly, slow fancy fantails got eaten, the lithe, long, fast pond-specific-bred fish both survived

Like if you put two :btroll: goons and two olympic marathon runners :slick: at everest basecamp, who would likely die of exposure

* not my pond, my fish are about half that size, but general idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leFTc_9h2es

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 23, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

trick question. I'd assume the long distance runners to be drastically less insulated. But, also less likely to be picked off by aerial predators ?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

double trick question

:byobear: hello basecamp
:btroll: why are you tying your shoes this bear is gonna eat us
:slick: i just have to outrun you

later

:slick: wears :btroll:s warm comfy winter clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My goldfish keep chasing each other and rubbing up against each other in circles. They fuckin? This where the constant flood of babies is coming from?? I've got probably 30 drat fish in here now!