Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

woah, your boss can only be a dude in the original saints row 1

It’s pretty funny finding that out and realizing that you can be a different gender entirely in 2 and people from 1 are just “hey did you change your hair or something?” when they see the Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
also keith david right from the start

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

also keith david right from the start

That’s Julius Little, Keith David isn’t in the series till Saint’s Row 4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Took this gap in new game releases to recreate my old trapsin in Diablo II Resurrected. Capped things off by putting together an Enigma. Only took me about a month and a two-week bout with covid!

So far in 2022 I have completed:

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5)
Windjammers 2
Nobody Saves the World
Returnal
Horizon Forbidden West
Elden Ring
Demon's Souls (2020)
Dark Souls 2
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
Stray
Diablo II Resurrected

Up Next: Who knows!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Last Celebration posted:

It’s pretty funny finding that out and realizing that you can be a different gender entirely in 2 and people from 1 are just “hey did you change your hair or something?” when they see the Boss.

Also that every female Boss is canonically trans.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just picked up Dragon Crown for the Vita. I love old beat em ups so this is right up my alley.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rinkles posted:

yeaaah saints row one was very much a different game compared to the sequel. Your character pretty much being sorta like Claude but has maybe three lines in the game. Its funny how your MCs last words were can we hurry this up i wanna go yo freckle bitches and bam boat blows up. Ah man the arguments back then people saying they either died or they survived and not knowing if it would get a sequel.

Also to add to wafflespoint. People going oh new saints row is woke and im like did you forget 3 and 4 with the romance options. I think 3 russian female boss had a thing for Pierce.

lol yeah i do like 4 pokes the fun about Jules and Keith David sound the same.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 21, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Also to add to wafflespoint. People going oh new saints row is woke and im like did you forget 3 and 4 with the romance options. I think 3 russian female boss had a thing for Pierce.

Yeah, Russian Boss is basically thirsty on main for Pierce. It’s a really cool Saint’s Row feature in general that choosing a voice is basically choosing an entirely different protagonist for your campaign, because all the the “proper” cutscene dialogue is the same no matter what but most of the in-mission stuff (like 20% of 2’s dialogue, 80% of 3/4 iirc) changes based on the voice.

Also, was a weird choice for them to have “Nolan North” as a voice option in Saints Row 4, the game that had Troy Baker as White Guy Voice 1. Idk if they saw the irony.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Also that every female Boss is canonically trans.

yeah it owns

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, Russian Boss is basically thirsty on main for Pierce. It’s a really cool Saint’s Row feature in general that choosing a voice is basically choosing an entirely different protagonist for your campaign, because all the the “proper” cutscene dialogue is the same no matter what but most of the in-mission stuff (like 20% of 2’s dialogue, 80% of 3/4 iirc) changes based on the voice.

Also, was a weird choice for them to have “Nolan North” as a voice option in Saints Row 4, the game that had Troy Baker as White Guy Voice 1. Idk if they saw the irony.

I wanna say they put him cuz at the time every game had Nolan North so they said ah gently caress it put him in as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shindragon posted:

I wanna say they put him cuz at the time every game had Nolan North so they said ah gently caress it put him in as well.

Yeah that was the joke. Nolan North was in everything at the time--Baker had a similar moment only a few years later I think.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

In SR1 you're The Playa, not The Boss

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of, wow the new one is almost out. Snuck up on me.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Apparently new Saints Row has no cockney voice? Very troubling

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of, wow the new one is almost out. Snuck up on me.

Is there a thread for it or the boss creator?

I'd love to see goon creations and share some of my own!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Saints Row this week, Splatoon in 2 weeks, games should stop coming out so close.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Baller Time posted:

aww no Robin Atkin Downes then.

So much for the Travis Touchdown Boss. Rip 3/4 you had a good run.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Baller Time posted:

Mr. Sheffield hasn't done a voice since 2 :(

And he's said he would if they asked!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Baller Time posted:

I can’t help but be underwhelmed since they didn’t get The Nanny guy back after 2, Cockney Travis Touchdown was okay but still.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Mr. Sheffield hasn't done a voice since 2 :(

And he's said he would if they asked!

I kinda get the impression 3/4 were on a tight budget since a chunk of the boss voices were people who were best known for doing anime/anime games compared to the celebrity pulls they had in 2 in general.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So far Saint's Row 1 is feeling like the worst bits of the series, with only hints of the good stuff. Plus the side activities are mandatory.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, most people agree the series came into its own in 2

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Once they ditched trying to be an exact GTA clone, it did wonders. Like yes the other games are GTA clonish (except 4, that felt more like crackdown), but SR1 was very much GTA as hell.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Shindragon posted:

Once they ditched trying to be an exact GTA clone, it did wonders. Like yes the other games are GTA clonish (except 4, that felt more like crackdown), but SR1 was very much GTA as hell.

I remember at the time loving SR 2 way more than GTA 4

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I remember at the time loving SR 2 way more than GTA 4

thats because GTA 4 is a bad game while SR 2 is a good game

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 21, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SR2 is the only one i really liked. i guess messing around in SR4 was kind of fun but SR2 actually could get at least semi-serious at some points and had really good cutscenes while by the time it hit SR4 it was wacky fun times all the way

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i tried to play a couple saints rows a few times but there is way way way too much shooting.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SR2 is the only one i really liked. i guess messing around in SR4 was kind of fun but SR2 actually could get at least semi-serious at some points and had really good cutscenes while by the time it hit SR4 it was wacky fun times all the way

Yeah, I liked loving around with superpowers in 4 a lot, but I still would really, really like a remaster of 2 that has the controls from 3/4 but the same gameplay otherwise.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SR2 is the only one i really liked. i guess messing around in SR4 was kind of fun but SR2 actually could get at least semi-serious at some points

Carlos :smith:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I loved Gangster Saints and Puckish Rogue Saints.

I will say the gang was what I loved the most, so that's the hurdle the new game has to jump with me. No Shaundi or Pierce makes me worried.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I like that the one dude in the new saints looks like a young Brother Mouzone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the new SR seems like going for a less stupid wacky tone like SR4+ which i kind of appreciate but it also looks kind of characterless

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah the new characters look ehhh but the game does look fun.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

When they first said new direction I thought they meant mixing the dark and light moments like 2 again. This whole new crew thing...I'm hopeful it won't be middling and kill the series, that's all. I want to see the old guard again one day

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I finished the main story again of Sony's Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man (on PS5, though the talk of the PC version got me to pick it back up).

Still my favorite open world game, but what struck me this time is how much I actually enjoy the combat. Peter's got a variety of tools, aerial abilities, and web attacks to make it interesting, and there is usually some incentive to keep your combo up and experiment with your skills. It also looks cool as hell.

The ending got me misty eyed again, and I'm excited for next year's (hopefully) sequel because of the teases about the villain. Harry will be Venom. I'd be surprised if Insomniac doesn't tone down the cop poo poo 100% in the sequel. I wonder if they'll make a cheeky reference to it. Given that I felt like the Miles game huffed its own farts a bit about how woke it was, I think they won't be able to help themselves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's fun to swing around

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Khanstant posted:

it's fun to swing around

I like chucking dudes off roofs and into the ocean

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The difficulty on the hardest setting is nice too, easy to die if you're just not even trying but you still feel super if you are dodging the spider sense alerts and taking care of the annoying stuff. Nothing beats chucking people off skyscrapers, especially once the city is overrun with annoying snipers and rocket freaks.

I also really like how people with a gun or a shield are so obsessed with it if you remove it, they will do nothing but try and pick it back up. I just keep stealing it from them. The last mook alive also gets a special treatment of just the lightest punch every few seconds to keep him interuppted. Like, run away dude what're gonna do.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV:
Yeah standard complaints apply, see previous posts

My heart goes out to the writers who have to keep coming up with story arcs for the crafting quests, they’re working very hard but there’s only so much they can do, it seems like they’ve been asked that every single one has to end with the happiest ending possible, no exceptions. So every villain will end up admitting that they were in the wrong, every hero will forgive them, there will be at least five exchanges of heartfelt thank yous between every character, and in the end, everyone will agree that being nice is good. It’s very exhausting when you complete the different crafters’ final quests back-to-back, as I have. I felt some Joker bubbling up inside me, so much so that I tallied up how many words one of these quests might have: 2000 words!! I could’ve read like a third of a fall of a house of usher in that time!!

Anyway I finished the main Stormblood quest, the last few hours were really fun: the last big 8-man boss fight was exciting / cool, the main villain had a poignant line of dialogue, though now I’m dreading having to unlock all of the optional level 70 dungeons, because I know each one is gonna be guarded by at least a few hundred words of fluff. Current mood: what if I skipped all the cutscenes and just skimmed the summary they put in your journal after each quest objective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

For the optional dungeons? There's really not too much fluff around them aside from a very short justification for why you're going in there, but yeah honestly, you'd probably be fine.