Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Actual artists think.

Yeah, this.

For example, let's think about what a story actually is. When you tell a story you take symbols representing various traits (characters) and put them into a situation or give them a problem to solve. You follow them until they solve the problem (or fail to) and from the way they do so we can derive meaning and observations about the real world. In other words, a story is a lot like an opinion essay but instead of just saying "greed is bad and in this essay I will explain why" you ~show~ people why this is the case by seeing the consequences of a character's actions. It's a pretty powerful tool, actually.

AI isn't doing any of this. Instead it reads a few hundred stories that have already been written by humans and then reassembles random pieces of those stories based patterns it finds without actually knowing anything about what it's working with. In addition to this process making it VERY difficult to create consistent characters or plots it's also completely impossible to do any sort of authentic exploration of themes or make any sort of commentary on the real world. Because the AI isn't observing the real world, it's observing other people's stories. And the same is true for other mediums as well like visual art or music. There's more that goes into a painting than a random assortment of observed elements. Artists deconstruct the things they observe and ask what they mean and then communicate that meaning through everything from the subjects chosen to the composition and lighting choices.

AI can sometimes mimic art to make something interesting by chance, true, but it can't do so consistently or authentically which is what makes the idea of an AI filled art world so repulsive to many. It promises a world filled with images and sounds that are pleasing on the surface but are ultimately completely meaningless. Fortunately I think people are actually willing to pay for that human element so I don't think artists and real art are going extinct just yet.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I agree that we are a long way from AI being able to write even half-way decent scripts. At best, it could generate general story ideas that a human could use for inspiration. I'm more talking about using it for visual art/voice acting with the near future technology. Its not like somebody is going to be able to press a button and produce a creative work with a coherent narrative. Even if its just generating images, a person is going to need to be involved with the creation of the prompt, and curating the best images. I see it as a potentially powerful tool, but we are nowhere close to removing the human element. There is going to be a thinking human behind AI art.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I do think companies are going to try it and it will be terrible. We're going to enter a dark age, but maybe people learning to use them as a tool for a base image and then modify on top of them leads to a new golden age.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

From my memory of how this stuff has been playing out for a few years, yeah, it's a really weird 180 from what seemed to be happening.

Basically, Cartoon Network has been in a transitional state for a few years since traditional TV is dying off and kids sitting around watching reruns just isn't as much of a thing. So they were pushing kids to their ad-supported streaming app. Shows would get binge-dropped on there and they'd eventually play on TV at some point in the next month or so. This was also when they switched to the binge format of running 5 or 10 episodes in a week and then having months of silence. It was rough on serial shows and made it hard for some new shows to build an audience.

And yeah, for awhile they were just the Teen Titans Go! channel. If kids wanted something else they could go to the app. It seems like it's gotten a little better over the last year or so and they still make some decent kids shows even if I'm not really going to watch them as an adult. It'd be a bummer to lose them and be down to just Nick and Disney. Netflix also slashed its animation department so unless they reverse course it's going to be rough.

And all this was seemingly true for Adult Swim and even TBS' attempt at a cartoon block. For a while it seemed like there was a push/pull over new content. Teens and adults staying up late to watch weird cartoons just isn't as much of a thing anymore either and there was a sense that Adult Swim would exist to funnel stuff into HBO Max. Which they've been doing well enough for now. But now they're getting gutted too and there's this weird question of what's even going to be left.

So the whole thing is just really strange since for years the old plan was to move animation to HBO Max to unify the library...and now new merger so gently caress a years long strategy, apparently.

Hopefully they just sell it off rather than kill it. I'd have to assume someone would be willing to pay for that catalog. I thought the latest rumors was the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim had managed to survive the little Discovery civil war and stay on top, but who knows now.

i suspect adult swim or at least alot of the better stuff on it will continue to survive for a while since it makes ton of money and clicks. like rick and morty and smiling friends will survive probably for a while at least as will some of the legacy adult swim shows possibly.

i think alot of animations are gonna try to go indie on youtube or other places and hope for the best for now until poo poo settles down.

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1560380194518552576

sounds like hazbin and obviously helluva boss will survive but i doubt she and other studios/artists are gonna trust big corpos with their arts now since WB was the big safe place until dipshit CEO decided to get everything.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i suspect adult swim or at least alot of the better stuff on it will continue to survive for a while since it makes ton of money and clicks. like rick and morty and smiling friends will survive probably for a while at least as will some of the legacy adult swim shows possibly.

Do you remember how Rick and Morty fans reacted to the dipping sauce being out of stock? those people would form some kind of fat ISIS and start a terror campaign if WB tried this poo poo with R&M.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 22, 2022

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

readingatwork posted:

It may not replace human artists but what it can do is replace a bunch of existing jobs (for example the Atlantic is already using it for filler illustrations) and in doing so shrink the pool or corporate money many artists need to live.

hold up, that's not true:

The Atlantic guy posted:

[Inside-baseball alert: As my pieces are primarily email posts with a web component, they’re a part of a different editorial workflow and do not go through the magazine’s art department. Instead, it is my job to illustrate the post using a Getty Images account provided to me by the magazine.] TL;DR: The Jones post was never a candidate for a commissioned illustration.

that was One dude using it on his newsletter, which never had editorial illustration on it—before using midjourney to illustrate that article, he used stockphotos

this is a scary time for illustrators and your post voices a lot of the things on people's minds nowadays but we're not At That Point just yet

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

sliami posted:

hold up, that's not true:

that was One dude using it on his newsletter, which never had editorial illustration on it—before using midjourney to illustrate that article, he used stockphotos

this is a scary time for illustrators and your post voices a lot of the things on people's minds nowadays but we're not At That Point just yet

Fair enough I suppose.

AI is still going to be used like that eventually though. It's too profitable not to be.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

readingatwork posted:

Do you remember how Rick and Morty fans reacted to the dipping sauce being out of stock? those people would form some kind of fat ISIS and start a terror campaign if WB tried this poo poo with R&M.

Now you got me hoping that happens

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

readingatwork posted:

yeah. i think adult swim is still mostly a good money generated. maybe poo poo like "my momma called me sheriff" catches a bullet but alot of the stuff have big enough money or views/clicks that it will hopefully survive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Adult Swim has always, since its inception, lead with its heavy duty money makers and used that ad revenue and merchandising to subsidize stuff like Tom goes to the Mayor//Drinky Crow

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think alot of animations are gonna try to go indie on youtube or other places and hope for the best for now until poo poo settles down.
i don't really know where people can go. Youtube revenue is a complete nonstarter for anyone not producing very frequent content, and even those who do make far more on Patreon. and you'll need to at least pull in what vivienne medrano does on Patreon if you want to pay a team, but you probably want to bring in more than that honestly, way more. and idk how someone does that without the unique pull that Vivienne has, or Chapo, or whatever.

(also you'd probably need to produce a pilot that gets a lot of visibility and popularity before you even get an audience to consider 'investing' so to speak... so that's a lot of upfront out of pocket cost)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

readingatwork posted:

Even though R&M isn't a reality show, the producer has the right message that Discovery won't screw around with it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think adult swim is still mostly a good money generated. maybe poo poo like "my momma called me sheriff" catches a bullet but alot of the stuff have big enough money or views/clicks that it will hopefully survive.

Mr. Pickles/Momma Named me Sheriff getting tossed into the vault and never seeing the light of day again would be like the one upside to all of this bullshit, I feel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vandar posted:

Mr. Pickles/Momma Named me Sheriff getting tossed into the vault and never seeing the light of day again would be like the one upside to all of this bullshit, I feel.

I loving hope so. Mister pickles just isn’t funny and then it desperately tries to hard. It’s sad that they made a spin off off the least funny character.

Craptacular! posted:

Even though R&M isn't a reality show, the producer has the right message that Discovery won't screw around with it.

Jesus. Never knew he was that much of a prick. I always assumed it was mostly Harmon who was the lovely one.

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't really know where people can go. Youtube revenue is a complete nonstarter for anyone not producing very frequent content, and even those who do make far more on Patreon. and you'll need to at least pull in what vivienne medrano does on Patreon if you want to pay a team, but you probably want to bring in more than that honestly, way more. and idk how someone does that without the unique pull that Vivienne has, or Chapo, or whatever.

(also you'd probably need to produce a pilot that gets a lot of visibility and popularity before you even get an audience to consider 'investing' so to speak... so that's a lot of upfront out of pocket cost)

Yeah. I wanted to add that. It’s basically luck and your art/idea hitting at the right time and right place. I think the the double punch of the hazbin pilot getting picked up by a24 and helluva boss being the big animated youtube show that made it big(for the Internet) probably keep them from getting hosed over like alot of studios. They also have merch train out and other ways to bring in funds. Which a lot of artists obviously don’t have.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I never realized Dan Harmon looked so much like Slowbeef

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone seen them in the same room at the same time?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i hope when ai art starts being used commercially they never figure out how to stop it from trying to copy artist signatures from the training data used

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

The 7th Guest posted:

Having made my own pilot for my web animated series last year (currently producing episode #3 now) and relying on Patreon to get any sort of monetary funding, yeah basically. Having a very tiny fraction of Vivzie's audience, getting people to watch your stuff can be tricky.

I get around it by both being a relatively fast artist (that 18 minute cartoon, of which I did 90% of the animation, took about 6 months to finish, which is pretty fast all things considered), using 1960s style limited animation, and having friends help out whenever possible. Most of the money is spent on things I truly can't do, like voice acting and backgrounds (for larger projects). I also largely use royalty-free music for soundtrack, although as of late I try to use Kevin MacLeod less and less in favor of other composers that's not used as much (my most recent animation is a mix of original composition and stock music).

I would love to have a proper staff work on it, though, but I have to be picky on exactly what I need to hire out and for what.

EDIT: with that in mind, I highly recommend checking out "Sublo and Tangy Mustard". It's made by Aaron Long, director of "Bojack Horseman" and "Tuca and Bertie" (he does the series on the side from studio work), and it's great. He does pretty much everything himself, except most of the voices. He's currently working on new episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZyCdiGKgPM

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 22, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/1561669582921801728?s=21&t=hKcr98fOM1AYHRkZps_WWw

I wonder how this keeps getting seasons when every other animation series is getting got

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/1561669582921801728?s=21&t=hKcr98fOM1AYHRkZps_WWw

I wonder how this keeps getting seasons when every other animation series is getting got

Probably because it’s anthologies wrapped up in quick packages.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

WB isn't making it that's how

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Probably because it’s anthologies wrapped up in quick packages.

Also that

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

my wild guess as a 2d comper is that maybe those shadow masks were drawn as opposed to procedural and were intended to be blurred to poo poo but got applied basically vanilla? I can see how that could happen shipping it out but not sure why you wouldn't ask them to fix it.

edit: nevermind, its in the key art. I have no goddamn clue why you'd do it this way given how expensive the rest of the animation looks. Just wild.

Vishass fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 22, 2022

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I think like 2/3 of the shorts come from countries with arts funding so netflix gets a discount

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/peebgardt/status/1560435903767597056

That seems bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe we'll one good episode out of this season, too.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jesus. Never knew he was that much of a prick. I always assumed it was mostly Harmon who was the lovely one.

I think it was 50/50 of which of the two would get the show canceled until the 90-odd episode order came in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so does Paramount+ make you wait until 3am for new episodes on release day? Because Lower Decks. :allears:

EDIT: Yes, they do make you wait until 3am. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 25, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

LD is still fun as hell. Glad to see it’s still delivering. Did the back half of Harley Quinn get any better? I’m three episodes in and having to force my way through.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Warbird posted:

LD is still fun as hell. Glad to see it’s still delivering. Did the back half of Harley Quinn get any better? I’m three episodes in and having to force my way through.

I think it does but I think there's only an episode or two you haven't seen and I haven't caught todays yet. Then again I liked last week's episode a lot even though Harley and Ivy were barely in it. I'm wondering if this is one of the shows that gets better when they srop focusing on the main characters and let the supporting characters and world breathe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I think it was 50/50 of which of the two would get the show canceled until the 90-odd episode order came in.

i like rick and morty enough and roilands weird meandering hosed up comedy well enough. i just think the earlier seasons are very hit and miss and listning to harmon make loving beth and jerry plot lines about his imploding marriage got old fast.

i hated uncle grandpa outside the pilot but thats genuinely sad.

i mean HBO is making GBS threads blood money wise right now so the reality tv man might get the boot hard. i have a feeling alot of adult swim stuff will survive because it makes money and engagement(even to dipshits like ceo fuckface) alot of ceo still view kids animation as either background poo poo OR "buy our merch" poo poo and so artsy kids shows are always on the chopping block. not defending the choice because the dudes clearly a moron but disney and other places do the same poo poo with kids shows constantly.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 25, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

It gets better at Ep6. Ep7 was good/better than Eps 1-5. Season 3, of course.

They wasted too much loving time on the Honeymoon/"men trying to write lesbian relationship fic" poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 25, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean HBO is making GBS threads blood money wise right now so the reality tv man might get the boot hard.

Nothing's likely to happen to that guy. The company likely makes modest profits next year and he's lauded for the ing things around. He's doing exactly what the heads of Universal, Disney, Paramount, and Sony all want to do themselves: taking short term losses to crush one of Hollywood's last powerful unions.

Practically every studio that produces TV wants to render a WGA strike useless since the 2007-08 season, but is afraid the competition will one up them. This guy is saying in earnest that no, he doesn't need writers. The financial costs of burning all these bridges are kind of massive, but this is also partly the last administration's fault for mishandling the movie studio.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Warbird posted:

What's LD? I haven't kept up with cartoons lately aside from Harley.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's LD? I haven't kept up with cartoons lately aside from Harley.

Lower Decks.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It gets better at Ep6. Ep7 was good/better than Eps 1-5. Season 3, of course.

They wasted too much loving time on the Honeymoon/"men trying to write lesbian relationship fic" poo poo.

I think the whole problem is that we spent 2 seasons dealing with Harley maturing and figuring her poo poo out, and we spent the whole end of last season with her working herself up to the point where she could tell Ivy that she loves her. Then...we get 5 bad episodes where Harley's too immature for a relationship and we're back to treading water. It also doesn't help that the hook for the season is so weak compared to the 1st and 2nd. But it looks like maybe they can turn it around in the back half.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do enjoy that the show takes the piss and vinegar out of the Bat Family, though. That's been sorely needed and some of the best early BAS shows were the ones where Batman smiled every once in a while.

Also, fun easter egg: the old lady Harley beats the poo poo out of in this most recent episode resembles "Grandma Harley" from the end of The Return of the Joker.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I really appreciate them making Kite man a decent dude at the end of the day. Like sure it wasn’t going to work out with Ivy for a number of reasons but that doesn’t inherently make them bad people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And giving the Joker more character development and actual personality than DC's done in 80 years.

edit: Joker dad is something I never thought could work, but here we are.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 26, 2022

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah this more nuanced and human Joker is a lot of fun.

It's also so surprising given how he was in season one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

I really appreciate them making Kite man a decent dude at the end of the day. Like sure it wasn’t going to work out with Ivy for a number of reasons but that doesn’t inherently make them bad people.

Yeah, he wasn't right for Ivy but he's still a cool guy and he's able to move on and find a more compatible partner. Hell yeah, way to go Kiteman! He's the master of Kites and emotional maturity.