Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Fun fact, Halo 2 is about as old as Doom 3, which technically makes it a retro FPS by this point.
Funner fact, while Halo 2 only supports 2 player co-op, did you know you can play it in 4 player splitscreen co-op if you try really, really hard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4NTmMQMNy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looks surprisingly playable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Halo 2, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2 all came out within a few weeks of each other. 2004 was a helluva year

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And also Unreal Tournament 2004!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

haveblue posted:

Halo 2, Doom 3, and Half-Life 2 all came out within a few weeks of each other. 2004 was a helluva year

I think that's what makes RTCW feel so dated, coming out before that seismic shift.

Also, it was in March 2004, but Far Cry also made a huge splash and made stuff like rtcw feel ancient.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks surprisingly playable.

I remember playing Golden Eye and Mario Kart 4 player split screen when ever we would go over to a mates place after school. I've looked back at screenshots of that at original resolution and thinking about the size of my mates tv, I have no idea how we could even remotely see what we were doing most of the time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
same except halo 3, and I can remember clearly enough to know that I basically couldn't see a lot of the time and was just relying on context clues and aim assist

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Happened on this collection of Game related texts on the always-reliable Archive.org

https://archive.org/download/RetroGamingBooksFiction

including several DOOM novelizations to entertain while you wait for the next FPS to be released :o: Also a couple of Dark Forces books if you lean that way.

Thanks for this! I remember enjoying the Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, Metal Gear, and Castlevania 2 Worlds of Power books. The Doom novelizations from the 90s are kind of terrible...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That review of Fashion Police Squad is completely accurate, but I still would play a sequel since they'd probably sort this stuff out (make it so certain weapons are bonus rather than the only way to do damage) and we really need more non-violent FPS games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Barudak posted:

we really need more non-violent FPS games.

not ribbing you, this is legitimately funny

(even funnier when I think about slime rancher being a model for capitalist industrial animal enslavement)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm making my way through Back To Saturn X 2 and just finished map06, "Useless Inventions". It feels like somebody finally fulfilled the promise of the original "Downtown" map from Doom 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9-tSFHV8ow

Final part was pretty ridiculous though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Final part was pretty ridiculous though.

Hey a Decino video! Watched his play through of a few .wads that sounded like they had something really interesting about them but there was no way on hell i'd be able to get through the fist level. Seems like a most chill youtube.

I'd like to get skilled enough to actually play them, but I so just don't have the time alas. :(

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 21, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that's what makes RTCW feel so dated, coming out before that seismic shift.

Also, it was in March 2004, but Far Cry also made a huge splash and made stuff like rtcw feel ancient.

Yeah, the first half of that year was the year of Far Cry. Technically advanced, pretty setting, if it had come out half a year earlier it would have probably been a solid GotY contender but then the second half of the year hit and welp.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IIRC the RTCW code was the base for Call of Duty 1. There’s still at least one developer keybind CFG file in the COD1 files that still has a “Generated by RTCW, do not modify” header.

From such humble seeds…

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

Tiny nitpick: Doom 3 was in in the middle of the summer, Half-Life 2 was in November - I only remember this because I bought both Doom 3 and Half-Life 1 on the day Doom 3 came out. I ended up spending way more time with HL1 than I did with Doom 3, which is what made me start getting hyped up about HL2, a game I had completely ignored up until that point. Doom 3, UT2K4, and (for me) Half-Life 1: possibly the greatest summer of gaming I will ever know.

(edit: Even though I didn't have an Xbox and thus didn't really give a poo poo about Halo 2, I also remember following the ilovebees ARG that turned out to be about Halo 2, so throw Halo 2 on the pile too I guess, in a weird way.)

Volte fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 21, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

IIRC the RTCW code was the base for Call of Duty 1. There’s still at least one developer keybind CFG file in the COD1 files that still has a “Generated by RTCW, do not modify” header.

From such humble seeds…

This makes a ton of sense because there were multiple times where I wondered if there were infinite enemies like Call of Duty and I needed to move forward to stop them spawning. Now I get why there was that weird overlap feel.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

This makes a ton of sense because there were multiple times where I wondered if there were infinite enemies like Call of Duty and I needed to move forward to stop them spawning. Now I get why there was that weird overlap feel.
It also makes sense on a technical level: Quake 3 didn’t have single player necessities like monster AI or savegames. RTCW was just a better base than the vanilla Q3 engine.

Hell, Ritual were actively selling their SP-centric engine mods from Elite Force 2 to other Q3A licensees. Uber Tech, I think they called it? Interesting moment in history through the lens of modern asset stores and such…

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo playing Quake 4 for first time since 360 was hot n fresh and got completely stonewalled in how to progress, looked up and all videos are people also getting stuck there. Teeeeeny tiny jump baby

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

Hell, Ritual were actively selling their SP-centric engine mods from Elite Force 2 to other Q3A licensees. Uber Tech, I think they called it? Interesting moment in history through the lens of modern asset stores and such…

Oh yeah how about that. I think I remember seeing something about Ubertools in the FAKK2 demo. I guess Everything or Nothing was the last game to use it (great game) and also had EA-GL slapped over the top

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Kins posted:

I really wanna know what those were like now. Were they ever released into the wild or is this a proprietary code addon that probably nobody has anymore?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dr_rat posted:

Hey a Decino video! Watched his play through of a few .wads that sounded like they had something really interesting about them but there was no way on hell i'd be able to get through the fist level. Seems like a most chill youtube.

His videos about the internal workings of the Doom engine's mechanics and quirks are absolutely top tier, I would highly recommend watching all of them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arach posted:

The tourists are just bad, there's no wind up to the flash so you just get random chip damage. Maybe they need a "SAY CHEESE" with sound priority given in time to make an escape -- or getting too far or too close puts you out of focus with a new vocal prompt. In practice they're just a case of throwing 2 gnomes and hoping they don't take a flash before the first is attached.

The tourists are singlehandedly wrecking my enjoyment, about a third of the way through the game. A cheap hitscan attack that does way, way too much damage. and can only be countered with a slow to throw projectile.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
RealRTCW got a big update earlier this month and

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That gets the same sideeye as people who care way too much about getting to play the Nazis in sniper elite multi

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

The tourists are singlehandedly wrecking my enjoyment, about a third of the way through the game. A cheap hitscan attack that does way, way too much damage. and can only be countered with a slow to throw projectile.

Good news it never really gets better. Basically every other foe gets an alternate method to deal with it but the tourist is just welp, Wardrobe launcher.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Any Build Engine mappers in here?
https://twitter.com/BloodDeathWish/status/1561123049235152896

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I love this game because it has now caused a serious sentence containing "gnome bonk the dubstep girls".

GNOME BONK THE DUBSTEP GIRLS *explodes into yellow goo*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A post in two parts

1) I'm almost done with Quake 4 and its really, really bland. Like congrats, you made body horror sci-fi fps really bland. Here is a gross, beating heart medal

2) Severed Steel added a bunch of new single player content maps. Be warned if you turn on RTX cause these things are big and use that to its fullest.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Kins posted:

From such humble seeds…

I believe it was specifically the Xbox port of Tides of War. Might've been Call of Duty 2, though, since they were wanting to get it running on consoles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

forgive me father thoughts (note, i am in the early part of act 2):

unlike fashion police squad which was fun from the jump, this one started a little underwhelming with a wimpy sounding pistol with a low fire rate. luckily it gets a lot better in a hurry, but the gunplay is definitely inconsistent from weapon to weapon. the shotgun is nice and boomy, but the mp18 has a weak rat-tat-tat. this is mitigated by a pretty interesting skill tree that allows you to upgrade weapons along two separate paths to suit your particular playstyle. you can make the mp18 a grenade launcher for example, though it will then use explosive ammo rather than share ammo with your revolver. you can turn your knife into a throwing knife, or you can beef up its damage and make it look like a fleshy monstrosity. i turned one automatic weapon into an energy beam that works really well at zapping enemies in high up areas. so the sound design could be better but depending on how you modify your weapons you should end up with a loadout you're pretty happy with (you also get a free additional complete respec after each boss if you want)

both fashion police squad and forgive me father have very linear level layouts that are more along the lines of a 2000s shooter than 90s, so I get if that's a turnoff to people, but it doesn't bother me personally. i like the mazey games like project warlock and amid evil and I also like games that are more a set path, as long as that path is interesting, and so far that's been the case. they make a large effort to keep the visual variety interesting. it's one of the few games i've played where enemy reskins are not for the purpose of corner cutting or palette swapping but just for fun. there's a hospital level where some enemies are now wearing doctor scrubs, for example. you'll encounter a fisherman in flannel and you'll encounter a fisherman with a raincoat on, just because you're now out in the gloomy misty graveyard. even the most basic enemy type, since they're the civilians of the town, can look like various people. despite the acts keeping to a theme, they are trying to give you the sense that you're proper travelling because one level you'll be going through backyards, one level you'll be on rooftops, one level you're in a hospital, etc. so i'm not experiencing visual fatigue, which tends to be the thing that makes me sleepiest with games. there are keycard doors, but the keys are never far away so, again, not really a maze game.

the game accommodates both the methodical player and the run & gunner by virtue of its dual protagonists, whose special abilities are geared to one or the other. the reporter, who i chose, has a magic sword that heals on kills, a voodoo doll that destroys everything in a small radius around you, and a camera that stuns enemies. you replenish uses of these abilities simply by dealing lots of consistent damage which increases your madness meter, basically a combo system i guess but without the combo terminology. it's a lot of fun to run around and blast enemies, get up in their face with the knife or magic sword, and get out of trouble with the voodoo doll if you get overrun. idk what the priest character's deal is since I didn't choose them but hopefully they're cool too.

the biggest drawbacks besides the inconsistent weapon quality... the game has you 'load from checkpoint' on death, but there's not really checkpoints at all. there's a save point in levels, where you can make a "quick save" or open up a save menu to make a proper save. but... i don't see any difference? they're like, the same. it honestly shouldn't be called a quick save. it should just be called "i don't feel like making a permanent save so i'll just make a checkpoint here". quick save has a specific connotation and this ain't it. otherwise, if there isn't a save point or you haven't gotten to one yet, you just start at the beginning of the level on death. idk, it's just kind of weird. no level is larger than like 10 minutes long i guess, so far, but if you die a couple of times ending back at the start of the level it can get very frustrating. it's also the old school saving/restart where, your XP has reset and any collectibles (in this game it's story prompts and secrets) have to be re-collected. so, not a fan of that.

the voice acting also is.. really something else. the reporter has this valley girl voice that sounds bizarrely inappropriate for the tone, time period, and character role. the voice actress also butchers half the lines, which I blame on vocal direction more than anything. there are also some oddly constructed sentences like "it looks like they mess with my head again!" so I think this is a localization issue too.

now the real question going forward is how well the variety will hold up as i near the back half of the game. i've got I think 5 of the 8 total weapons, and presumably there are also more enemy types to come. will the theming and the different locales hold up and maintain novelty? will the new weapons be good or awful? that's gonna ultimately decide how i feel about the game. in fashion police squad's favor, the game is still throwing new things at you right until the end, such as a very arcadey car shootout, and a sudden tony hawk pro skater minigame. obviously FMF isn't going to do anything like that, so it's more about, will the levels start to feel samey and the enemies repeat too much, or will they keep adding new types and remixing? i'll play more tonight

e: oh yeah, one other positive thing is that even with all the ammo capacity upgrades you still can't hoard too much ammo so you'll be rotating through weapons frequently which I generally think is a positive thing in shooters.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 21, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if anyone else like me has a sudden urge to replay bioshock, bioshock and bioshock 2 are both 75% off for around 20 more hours on steam currently

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I had fun with Forgive Me Father for the first... about two and half episodes? It very quickly becomes a slog afterwards.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ytisomauq posted:

Thanks for this! I remember enjoying the Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, Metal Gear, and Castlevania 2 Worlds of Power books. The Doom novelizations from the 90s are kind of terrible...

Hah, I originally went digging on archive.org after seeing this and being incredibly curious

I've put the DOOM & Dark Forces books onto my Kindle for next time I have some downtime :o:

edit: just realized - swords are fine, but we can't have a knife on the cover of this kid's book! :prepop:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 21, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I definitely read the first two Doom books. I remember the first one vaguely follows the plot of the game but there's some weird inexplicable horniness. The second one was about fighting demons on Earth, but the marine teamed up with a few other people to do it.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Baron von Eevl posted:

I definitely read the first two Doom books. I remember the first one vaguely follows the plot of the game but there's some weird inexplicable horniness. The second one was about fighting demons on Earth, but the marine teamed up with a few other people to do it.

IIRC, Flynn and company team up with a Mormon holdout in the ruins of Salt Lake City, who are awaiting an attack by the IRS' military arm. Which was insane enough for me to notice, even at the young age I read those books.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I want to say Flynn’s female counterpart was named Arlene, and the main Mormon counterpart was Albert(?) and Albert would fantasize about Arlene’s stout baby-bearing hips.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

was it always this loving huge. holy poo poo

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Texas Red just started hyperventilating and he doesn't know why :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sucks that that archive copy of Doom has some lame reprint cover instead of og one with the game box art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

was it always this loving huge. holy poo poo

is a man not entitled to an enormous pistol?