Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So I figured that I'd sate my unbearable lust for Immortal Empires by playing a bit of Troy. Didn't work, it just made me wish I was playing Warhammer 10x more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dramicus posted:

So I figured that I'd sate my unbearable lust for Immortal Empires by playing a bit of Troy. Didn't work, it just made me wish I was playing Warhammer 10x more.

Same but 3 Kingdoms.

Cao Cao as a vampire count fighting orcs when?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They posted the release time for IE on the official Twitter. Spoiler: it's 3pm BST (10am Eastern/7am Pacific, for those of us trapped in Naggaroth).

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

I hate weekends. Tuesdays are always the best day of the week. I've always loved Tuesday more than any other day. Specifically Tuesday from 10:00 to 12:00, roughly.

Absolutely prophetic.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Lol. I will be chilling in my Dark Fortress (aka, my room) within 5 minutes of finishing work on Tuesday afternoon.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

Lol. I will be chilling in my Dark Fortress (aka, my room) within 5 minutes of finishing work on Tuesday afternoon.

Huh, that's odd. All my meetings after 10:00 am on Tuesday have been suddenly postponed or canceled. Strange.

Edit: even weirder, My Wednesday has been cut in half and Thursday is completely empty now. Odd, just odd.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 21, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I still have 31 unused vacation days and all my plans got destroyed by plague and war…

…guess this'll be my life in the coming days.

I haven't played a single campaign to conclusion since my original Vortex HE campaign. Guess it's finally time.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Loremaster giving some hope to the friends of the Dawi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDVRTE_x3_Y

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Antigravitas posted:

I still have 31 unused vacation days and all my plans got destroyed by plague and war…

…guess this'll be my life in the coming days.

I haven't played a single campaign to conclusion since my original Vortex HE campaign. Guess it's finally time.

If you want a completeable campaign then all of the DLC factions (including Brettonia) typically have a non-conquer the world victory condition. Which still involves a lot of fighting, sure, but less "kill these dudes then control this land."

Norsca, Brettonia, Tomb Kings, Vampirates, etc.

That said the variable invasion game setting also is an ultimate campaign victory if you defeat it, so it depends how much you like hell fights.

Or, at least, they did all have different victory conditions. Admittedly the new IE update might have changed their short/longs around, but I would assume the campaign mechanic squad still rolls with their mechanics.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I picked a bad week for my golf trip.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I requested Wednesday and Thursday as my days off ages ago. And due to a sudden bout of COVID in our company, I'm working the early shift on Tuesday instead of the late shift. Which is a very happy coincidence for me, not so happy for my coworkers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

If you want a completeable campaign then all of the DLC factions (including Brettonia) typically have a non-conquer the world victory condition. Which still involves a lot of fighting, sure, but less "kill these dudes then control this land."

I know, I have played a lot of campaigns, I just get bored when my main army is kitted out and I get extremely bored if I have to hold more than 2 regions.

Drycha was fun, but the gimmick wore off too fast. I severely dislike everything about Bretonnia (and not just because they are French).

…I do wonder how Dawi play if they get access to some Empire cavalry.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
May have been stated before but the Slaanesh Chosen with hellscoruges have 0 AP damage, less than zombies and peasants. As such, they cannot beat anything with armor as they simply don't do any damage, even when they hit. I hope CA does something to make hellscourges more unique and useful.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcC6aUvWNnI&t=1328s

@ 22:08 Zhao Ming returns to his people.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ralepozozaxe posted:

May have been stated before but the Slaanesh Chosen with hellscoruges have 0 AP damage, less than zombies and peasants. As such, they cannot beat anything with armor as they simply don't do any damage, even when they hit. I hope CA does something to make hellscourges more unique and useful.

That's not how armor works. Every time a model takes a hit they roll a number between half their armor value and their full armor value and reduce incoming non-ap damage by that %. Slaanesh Chosen will nearly always deal some amount of damage with each hit until enemy armor gets to around 120.

The problem is vastly overstated but 1 ap would also be nice.

edit: Even at 120 armor Slaanesh Chosen will deal some amount of damage 66% of the time. And it doesn't matter if it was 0 so long as they can hold the line unless your tactics stop at smashing front lines together until one side loses

edit 2: Don't forget that people were complaining about Slaanesh being a straight upgrade compared to Nurgle (who also has tradeoffs) before we saw the ap values.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

KPC_Mammon posted:

That's not how armor works. Every time a model takes a hit they roll a number between half their armor value and their full armor value and reduce incoming non-ap damage by that %. Slaanesh Chosen will nearly always deal some amount of damage with each hit until enemy armor gets to around 120.

The problem is vastly overstated but 1 ap would also be nice.

edit: Even at 120 armor Slaanesh Chosen will deal some amount of damage 66% of the time. And it doesn't matter if it was 0 so long as they can hold the line unless your tactics stop at smashing front lines together until one side loses

edit 2: Don't forget that people were complaining about Slaanesh being a straight upgrade compared to Nurgle (who also has tradeoffs) before we saw the ap values.

nit pick here

min damage is always 1 so they will always deal damage, just some times a minor amount

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
From what I've heard so far, the voice acting for the Champions of Chaos is really good, especially Azazel and Festus

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Good. More units should do 0 AP. It's really weird how everything does SOME degree of AP damage. Make armor more useful and make "AP" an actual valuable thing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I awoke today and realized it was not Tuesday and that continues to be BULLSHIT. :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Antigravitas posted:

I know, I have played a lot of campaigns, I just get bored when my main army is kitted out and I get extremely bored if I have to hold more than 2 regions.

Drycha was fun, but the gimmick wore off too fast. I severely dislike everything about Bretonnia (and not just because they are French).

…I do wonder how Dawi play if they get access to some Empire cavalry.

Not a fan of cav?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Randarkman posted:

True and those are specifically a weapon crew. I still don't expect them to just completely abandon and redo the existing design characteristics of the Chaos Dwarfs. They probably will look alot like that.

i think you're right that they will be a similar style to the weapon crew, albeit with bigger hats. the weapon crew chorfs on the train artillery look like the ones in the hellcannon crew in-game, with smaller/no hats and the like metal aprons

(i couldnt find an officially painted one in a decent resolution)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

IE drops Tuesday, CA pulls a pro gamer move and drops hints about Chorfs on Thursday to keep the hype train rolling. It won't happen, but I wish it would.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not a fan of cav?

They are best enjoyed in moderation imo.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Am I missing something with Khorne's Skullcannon? I'm just messing around with vs AI mode and this unit just seems awful. It's an anti-infantry artillery that runs out of ammo very quickly, misses most infantry units, and has a bad firing arc?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

They are best enjoyed in moderation imo.

Fair enough.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Am I missing something with Khorne's Skullcannon? I'm just messing around with vs AI mode and this unit just seems awful. It's an anti-infantry artillery that runs out of ammo very quickly, misses most infantry units, and has a bad firing arc?

They can fire while moving and replenish ammo in melee, so use ranged attacks to shoot enemy units in the flanks/rear and then order them to melee to get more ammo back. Skullcannons are more of a close-range fire support than an artillery peice.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

I haven't played with it but I believe it gets its ammo back if it kills stuff in melee and it's faster than most artillery, so maybe it's supposed to flank, fire into the backs of enemies quick at closer range than most artillery and then charge into a nearly breaking unit? Might also just be poo poo though, very possible.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

It has fire on the move and regenerates ammo in melee, as well as having decent melee stats. It's for pestering closely packed high-value infantry while it charges in for flanking attacks while still giving you SOME ranged capability if you need it. Also good for moving to the flanks and getting good angled shots down an engaged line and then charging in.

That said, I never really found its fussiness to justify over another unit of exalted bloodletters but it is better than it seems at first glance. Honestly I would have used them more if they were faster to recruit: I couldn't justify the momentum lost by recruiting them.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

I'll stick with the Blood Shrine!

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I think the lore appropriate response is:

Cardboard Fox posted:

Am I missing something with Khorne's Skullcannon?

YES.

IT'S A KHORNATE WEAPON. USE IT AS KHORNE COMMANDS. IT'S A MOTORCYCLE WITH SPIKES AND ROLLERS AND BLOODLETERS ON TOP, USE IT TO POP WHEELIES ON FOOLS, SLICE AND DICE. SPILL ALL THE BLOOD.

GRIND FOOLS
EAT THEIR SKULLS
SHOOT THEM OUT THE CANNON

But yeah what everyone else said too. It's a chariot with ranged capability really and it reloads in melee (via eating skulls). Don't really know how optimal it is really for MP/campaign but that's the gimmick.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

99pct of germs posted:

Loremaster giving some hope to the friends of the Dawi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDVRTE_x3_Y

Dawi don't need monstrous infantry gently caress off with the rune golem concept or just give them cav with dawi riding rams/boars. You wouldn't need slayers if you gave them hybrid infantry because they could just shoot then melee anyone threatening the back line. Double down on the ranged aspect and give dawi more hybrid units and give them giant flying war machines. When the chorfs come out then start thinking about unique master engineer ordinatus stuff like a super steam tank or crazy artillery pieces.

I want a steam tank that has an organ gun in the turret.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arghy posted:

Dawi don't need monstrous infantry gently caress off with the rune golem concept or just give them cav with dawi riding rams/boars. You wouldn't need slayers if you gave them hybrid infantry because they could just shoot then melee anyone threatening the back line. Double down on the ranged aspect and give dawi more hybrid units and give them giant flying war machines. When the chorfs come out then start thinking about unique master engineer ordinatus stuff like a super steam tank or crazy artillery pieces.

no

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Stunned and shocked that Arghy, the greatest of Dawi players, doesn't already use Quarrelers with Great Weapons or Rangers? I mean you want your Dwarves that shoot and then melee the wazzocks that reach the back line? Bam.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Any new units that might get added to the Dwarfs are irrelevant as they are destined to forever lie dead at the feet of the Chorfs.

The only Dwarf faction that has a chance of lasting longer than turn 10 is Grombrindal, and that's only because he's on the other side of the planet.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Arghy posted:

You wouldn't need slayers if you gave them hybrid infantry because they could just shoot then melee anyone threatening the back line.

Man, it would be scary if the dwarves could shoot then melee anyone threatening the back line.

Arghy posted:

You're right, the Empire would love this.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Janet's Franz campaign just triggered the vampire endgame scenario at turn 66, gonna be interesting next episode.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Janet's Franz campaign just triggered the vampire endgame scenario at turn 66, gonna be interesting next episode.

Oh, nice. I'll have to start following that one.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is there a master list of new mechanics for Immortal Empires or are we still waiting till Tuesday for that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Stunned and shocked that Arghy, the greatest of Dawi players, doesn't already use Quarrelers with Great Weapons or Rangers? I mean you want your Dwarves that shoot and then melee the wazzocks that reach the back line? Bam.

no not like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Has CA said definitively what you need the “old” Warriors of Chaos DLC for if you buy the new pack? I’m guessing to have access to the LLs from it but you still get the factions if you only buy the new pack?