Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Metal Gear: Snake Yeeter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let me clarify which one of us is in charge.

https://i.imgur.com/VRZV29B.mp4

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let me clarify which one of us is in charge.

https://i.imgur.com/VRZV29B.mp4

You really don't want to look at a gorilla, especially at that distance, unless you're sporting one of these

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rolling my eyes at the gorilla, really stickign it to what I think about his troop

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Sergei Eisenstein sitting on the Russian Imperial Throne (1927).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rascar Capac posted:

This is my office and my Bolshevik laboratory, okay? This is the one rule of the house. Don't ever, ever, ever touch my long shots.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

https://twitter.com/TheNasher61/status/1561185595774345216?t=yNFUICITv9f8drwTj2R1XA&s=19

This was in sudden death overtime of the gold medal game (world junior championship).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rascar Capac posted:

And we all know his grandson - the Allstate Mayhem guy.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Rascar Capac posted:

I think we know now why people were getting disappeared from photos....

Behold - Eraserhead....

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rascar Capac posted:

At first I thought that was Bruce Willis with hair.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/NASAExoplanets/status/1561442514078314496

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
yeah thats the sound of the damned

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

yeah thats the sound of the damned

So rad

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just gotta say listening to it I was pretty much :hmmyes:

Never thought much about what a black hole would sound like, but hearing that, it was very much. Oh yeah, that seems like something a black hole would sound like.

I'm so glad it wasn't something really weird like just sporadic lintermittent bell dinging noises or something, as i'd be thinking about that for weeks trying to figure out what was up with that. This soundsed very, oh yeah there is just a bunch of large and epic things happening here, which very much fits a black hole.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
yeah sorry to burst your bubble but that's not "what a black hole sounds like". the phrase "amplified and mixed with other data" is doing a lot of heavy lifting. If nothing else, it's pitch-shifted up 58 octaves lmao

it's still cool as heck, don't get me wrong, but I don't like the way that tweet frames it in the clickbaitiest, most deceptive way possible.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

DontMockMySmock posted:

yeah sorry to burst your bubble but that's not "what a black hole sounds like". the phrase "amplified and mixed with other data" is doing a lot of heavy lifting. If nothing else, it's pitch-shifted up 58 octaves lmao

it's still cool as heck, don't get me wrong, but I don't like the way that tweet frames it in the clickbaitiest, most deceptive way possible.

Anything 50 octaves below the human hearing range can hardly be described as "sounding like" anything. That's barely technically sound at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One may as well interpret the peaks and valleys of the Himalayas as “sound”.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
someone throw the milky way on the galactic record player.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mds2 posted:

someone throw the milky way on the galactic record player.
Surprise! Sounds like Nickelback.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Platystemon posted:

One may as well interpret the peaks and valleys of the Himalayas as “sound”.

Ok but that would be rad tho

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Turns out no one can hear you scream in space because space is already screaming.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

DontMockMySmock posted:

"amplified and mixed with other data" is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Yeah but you don't wanna listen to it at normal speed, unless you're keen on listening to a galactic soundtrack of the most sucking hole in the universe.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think the interesting takeaway from the 'sound in space' geekbait is that they found a medium of gas in an interstellar object, presumably dense enough to experience oscillating compression/rarefaction that could be called 'sound'.

Obviously it's transduced or straight-up pulled from observing a simulation of the gas cloud; we couldn't point a huge parabolic microphone at it because it's still very true that interstellar space between us is very much empty.

I think they've done similar things 'listening to' gas giants in our solar system. I remember reading about those a few years back and thinking "something's not right."

They've already elucidated that it's extrapolated from something other than 'sound' and pitched up eight octaves to even be audible. But I'm curious how loud it is. How dense is the gas medium compared to our atmosphere, and can we even measure its 'loudness' in any practical or traditional way (i.e: would the Decibel scale even apply)? I asked this on the twitter thread and nobody's responded yet.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It's singing the Halo main theme back to us but in Uuu instead of Ooo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DandyLion posted:

Yeah but you don't wanna listen to it at normal speed, unless you're keen on listening to a galactic soundtrack of the most sucking hole in the universe.

How is your mother, by the way?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

iwentdoodie posted:

How is your mother, by the way?

You have wounded me deeply with your jape, goon sir

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Surprise! Sounds like Nickelback.

oh no

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mister Speaker posted:

I think the interesting takeaway from the 'sound in space' geekbait is that they found a medium of gas in an interstellar object, presumably dense enough to experience oscillating compression/rarefaction that could be called 'sound'.

That's nothing new, and the medium of gas is still nowhere near dense enough for anything like sound to propagate through. What happens though is that the speed of sound is calculated based on various physical parameters like temperature and density and you can apply those calculations to near-vacuums just as well as you can to the atmosphere or the oceans, although things change a bit when you're talking about plasmas rather than non-charged fluids:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_acoustic_wave

You do need to keep in mind that you're not propagating any wavelengths shorter than the mean free path, and that mean free path is going to be very long indeed (Which is why the "sound" they're talking about there is 50+ octaves lower than anything we could hear), but it's entirely reasonable to refer to this as a "speed of sound" in space, and it's even reasonable to talk about Mach numbers. For example, the termination shock of the heliosphere is the point at which the solar wind slows down from supersonic to subsonic speeds as it encounters the interstellar medium. There's no sound there that you'd hear, but "supersonic" and 'subsonic" are perfectly useful descriptors here.

Mister Speaker posted:

They've already elucidated that it's extrapolated from something other than 'sound' and pitched up eight octaves to even be audible. But I'm curious how loud it is. How dense is the gas medium compared to our atmosphere, and can we even measure its 'loudness' in any practical or traditional way (i.e: would the Decibel scale even apply)? I asked this on the twitter thread and nobody's responded yet.

Threshold of human hearing is 0db/20 micropascals. Standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 100 kPa. 20log10(100kPa/20uPa) = 194 dB, which is the loudest sound you can get short of a shockwave. In an molecular cloud, maybe you've got a pressure of 1E-8 pascals, so 20log10(1E-8 Pa/20uPa) = -66.02 dB. So in other words really, really quiet. In the interstellar medium you're looking at 1E-18 pascals.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 22, 2022

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Phanatic posted:

That's nothing new, and the medium of gas is still nowhere near dense enough for anything like sound to propagate through.

Gases like oxygen nitrogen carbon dioxide....

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

500excf type r posted:

Gases like oxygen nitrogen carbon dioxide....

Meant to put "interstellar" there.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Phanatic posted:

Threshold of human hearing is 0db/20 micropascals. Standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 100 kPa. 20log10(100kPa/20uPa) = 194 dB, which is the loudest sound you can get short of a shockwave. In an molecular cloud, maybe you've got a pressure of 1E-8 pascals, so 20log10(1E-8 Pa/20uPa) = -66.02 dB. So in other words really, really quiet. In the interstellar medium you're looking at 1E-18 pascals.

Right, I was actually thinking about your informative reply in another thread re: my question about explosives underwater and the difference between sounds and shockwaves. Fascinating and helpful as always, thanks! :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

When you scream, you expel gas. You could imagine a suit-less astronaut mouth 1 cm from their unfortunate partner's suit-less ear. I'd imagine the localized gasses emitted would be sufficient to transmit sound, yeah?

So I'd say "in space, only other doomed travellers who are themselves dying in the vacuum can hear you scream" would be a valid aphorism.

If that's correct, then there must be a distance from which the inverse cube law drops your scream below the human hearing threshold mentioned above. A larger lung volume would increase this slightly, and indeed a space explosion which expelled gasses would have its own distance it could be heard from. All this to say, space battles could have audible explosions, but only to those who are impacted by the blast :science:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Obviously it's transduced or straight-up pulled from observing a simulation of the gas cloud; we couldn't point a huge parabolic microphone at it because it's still very true that interstellar space between us is very much empty.

I think they've done similar things 'listening to' gas giants in our solar system. I remember reading about those a few years back and thinking "something's not right."

The gas giant noises I believe are radio emissions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2-P8hG5-E

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The space version of Tesla's spirit radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFxBmEpGIBw

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1562125904574156800?s=20&t=giWvcB4EHjewhErjxPEz8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLYZmPRtnc

koshmar has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Aug 23, 2022

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Or even,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBhxBBa7tE

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That band is too many zooz and they rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7nHX2RLjQ

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Man, it is strange seeing Leo before he became this massive dude with ridiculous muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

null_pointer posted:

Man, it is strange seeing Leo before he became this massive dude with ridiculous muscles.

They were the last concert I saw before covid.

gently caress it was great but drat I've been sad since