Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is the first 1/1 flying haste for 1 ever printed, never mind the other abilities.

I think it's pretty solid. Not amazing, but it's a small amount of extra value if you can keep it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Very nice one mana cards in Dom U so far. Less excited about anything that's 3+ mana at the moment.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Koirhor posted:

Can you tell me which one is the real card?

a new player is not going to buy proxies and I think it's lovely to use proxies to fool other players like you're suggesting

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Shortest Path posted:

This is the first 1/1 flying haste for 1 ever printed, never mind the other abilities.

I think it's pretty solid. Not amazing, but it's a small amount of extra value if you can keep it coming.

CAW CAW MOTHERFUCKERS!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like how did we even get to that point from 'new players can just print off images on printer paper to learn the game and don't need precons.' did you just want to show off that people can fake the holographic sticker now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

I wish it was a zombie, but if it was it would probably also be non-zombie on the return condition and I'd never be able to activate it
on the other hand, HELL YEAH SKELETON WARRIORS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like to be clear, I'm fine with proxies and I think you can do some real fun stuff w/ it like using custom art and frames. plus, as someone who is generally priced out of playing paper magic, it'd be cool to play with a deck more expensive than my net worth in real life against other people

but I think there's a line where you're seeking not to play the game for cheap but to actually fool/defraud other players and I think replicating the whole thing down to the holographic sticker is well over that line. maybe that wasn't the intent when it was posted in response to me saying 'eventually new players are going to have to buy actual cards' but idk how else to treat that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Invictus posted:

on the other hand, HELL YEAH SKELETON WARRIORS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

When was the last time Drudge Skeleton was reprinted anyway?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

flatluigi posted:

like to be clear, I'm fine with proxies and I think you can do some real fun stuff w/ it like using custom art and frames. plus, as someone who is generally priced out of playing paper magic, it'd be cool to play with a deck more expensive than my net worth in real life against other people

but I think there's a line where you're seeking not to play the game for cheap but to actually fool/defraud other players and I think replicating the whole thing down to the holographic sticker is well over that line. maybe that wasn't the intent when it was posted in response to me saying 'eventually new players are going to have to buy actual cards' but idk how else to treat that

Agreed

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can we all just, for the love of god, agree to probate literally anyone who comes in the thread to complain about Aragorn being black?

Tia.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just to defend my posting honor, those cards are for me to play with my playgroup, I would never even think to pass them off as real or anything like that.

We agreed we wanted to have modern/legacy/pioneer nights occasionally instead of just casual commander.

Are other people buying these and doing some shady poo poo? Absolutely because they are shockingly good quality and I will probably buy from another vendor in the future that puts a different backing on the cards so I can’t accidentally forget whats real and whats not in my collection. But ya I mean gently caress wotc tho.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can we all just, for the love of god, agree to probate literally anyone who comes in the thread to complain about Aragorn being black?

Tia.

Sure, but he's not going to be on a card for like 9 more months

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Koirhor posted:

Just to defend my posting honor, those cards are for me to play with my playgroup, I would never even think to pass them off as real or anything like that.

We agreed we wanted to have modern/legacy/pioneer nights occasionally instead of just casual commander.

Are other people buying these and doing some shady poo poo? Absolutely because they are shockingly good quality and I will probably buy from another vendor in the future that puts a different backing on the cards so I can’t accidentally forget whats real and whats not in my collection. But ya I mean gently caress wotc tho.

should probably mark them in some way so you don't forget

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Tia.

Is this in some of the art they showed or something? Idk, I'm not a huge LotR fan but that seems fine to me?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah it's fine but the usual host of shitbags mad at ~white erasure~ and other racist concepts like that are up in arms. i would've waited to bring it up in here until someone actually decided to be that sort of rear end in a top hat publicly in this thread, but w/e

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arivia posted:

Is this in some of the art they showed or something? Idk, I'm not a huge LotR fan but that seems fine to me?

They posted a huge piece that will end up being split into the art of like 16 cards.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They posted a huge piece that will end up being split into the art of like 16 cards.

Anyone got a link? The only LotR art I've seen was Gandalf and his fireworks at Bilbo's birthday party months ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://www.cbr.com/magic-the-gathering-lotr-tales-of-middle-earth-set-wizards-presents/

It's in the little 4 image gallery there.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wait hang on. Is this card actually good? A 1 drop pretty much guaranteed to get in for 2-3, not a total blank once the ground gets gummed up, comes back from the dead on an alpha strike when you're out of gas.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

humor me, what's wrong with printing proxies that are as close to the real thing as possible. Take it as a given that you're intentionally not passing them off as the real thing for the purpose of selling/trading them. is there a scenario where it's morally (ignore legally) objectionable.

the reason I ask is that I have a deep moral objection to proxy limits in tournaments. If it weren't illegal to do so, I don't see any reason why I should respect the wishes of gatekeeping organizers. the person with the most skill should win, not the most money.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

humor me, what's wrong with printing proxies that are as close to the real thing as possible. Take it as a given that you're intentionally not passing them off as the real thing for the purpose of selling/trading them. is there a scenario where it's morally (ignore legally) objectionable.

the reason I ask is that I have a deep moral objection to proxy limits in tournaments. If it weren't illegal to do so, I don't see any reason why I should respect the wishes of gatekeeping organizers. the person with the most skill should win, not the most money.

The part you're taking as a given isn't

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Huxley posted:

Wait hang on. Is this card actually good? A 1 drop pretty much guaranteed to get in for 2-3, not a total blank once the ground gets gummed up, comes back from the dead on an alpha strike when you're out of gas.

Yeah I kinda think so. A version of 8-whack that doesn't go all-in on goblins for 12-whack and plays cards like this instead would be fun to try out.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

kalel posted:

What's wrong with having "proxy" down with the artist credit? People already sell fakes so why not add something to the card to ensure that it will never be passed off as one?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Huxley posted:

I definitely think it could see play in standard. Kumano Faces Kakkazan is another good 1-drop for that pairs well with this, maybe RDW will be back in nustandard

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kalel posted:

I wholeheartedly agree with this, and would like to go further and suggest that Wizards/Hasbro deserves it due to the terrible anti-consumer business decisions they've been making for the past half decade or so. If they are going to make a trivially easily-produced product artificially scarce and keep doubling down on milking their consumers then there is no reason in the world why alternative suppliers shouldn't step up to do what they will not.

This applies to a lot more important industries than trading cards but I don't want to go wildly off topic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's OK to talk about proxies here. Like as a generic topic it's not totally off-limits.

It's not OK to point to or describe or tell people how to get proxies that closely resemble the real thing. Also please don't expect mods to research sites you link to or talk about to see if what they're selling is or is not close to the real thing, because we won't bother, that's not our job really. The mods do not actually give one poo poo about ripping off wizards of the coast. What we do care about is protecting jeffrey of yospos from having to deal with C&D letters or whatever, and he told us to keep that poo poo off his forums, so that's what we're doing. If you don't like it, talk to him I guess.

If you want to discuss the ethics of creating things that could be passed off as the real thing, I guess you can, but I'm gonna ask you to please not call anyone who thinks making copies is bad or even violating copyright is bad a filthy liberal and imply they suck the dick of capitalism or whatever. That poo poo can stay in c-spam where it belongs. I'm not sure there's any more to be said beyond that, though. The consensus in this thread has never been people whining that fakes devalue their real card investments so if you're looking to pick that fight with someone, you'll be disappointed.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 22, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I wholeheartedly agree with this, and would like to go further and suggest that Wizards/Hasbro deserves it due to the terrible anti-consumer business decisions they've been making for the past half decade or so. If they are going to make a trivially easily-produced product artificially scarce and keep doubling down on milking their consumers then there is no reason in the world why alternative suppliers shouldn't step up to do what they will not.

This applies to a lot more important industries than trading cards but I don't want to go wildly off topic.

magic the gathering is a non-essential leisure product; jumping through hoops to say wizards deserves it for pricing said product highly is a bit much

edit: had the thread open for a while and didn't see the mod post, sorry

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
the only purpose of having a proxy that is indistinguishable from the real thing is to either use it in a sanctioned event or defraud a trading partner. One is morally neutral while the other is clearly wrong. The latter, to me, is not worth the risk to allow the former

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

the only purpose of having a proxy that is indistinguishable from the real thing is to either use it in a sanctioned event or defraud a trading partner. One is morally neutral while the other is clearly wrong. The latter, to me, is not worth the risk to allow the former

Woah woah I’m defrauding myself :agesilaus:

I will say that the fact that these are getting so good combined with the fiasco over amazon booster boxes supposedly being repacked and returned, poo poo I mean wotc gonna have a legit crisis on their hands probably

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I shop in googley eyes on any cards I print.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kalel posted:

You can't set as your premise that the reason why people don't abide counterfeits doesn't exist if you want a real answer

You might as well ask "take it as a given that tech companies aren't going to brazenly sell your data, what's wrong with giving Facebook, Google, etc all your info for enhanced services?"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

so we shouldn't have things because people might misuse them? welp time to turn off all the power plants and go back to the caves

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kalel posted:

so we shouldn't have things because people might misuse them? welp time to turn off all the power plants and go back to the caves

that's extremely disingenuous

the only reason to make proxies that are unmarked and indistinguishable from genuine cards is to have them indistinguishable from genuine cards, and the only reason to have them indistinguishable from genuine cards is to mislead others that they're real. every other reason to use proxies can be done the exact same way with a card marked as a proxy (either obviously like custom art or with something unobtrusive in the bottom border), and doing such removes the possibly of intentionally or unintentionally defrauding other players in the future

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I learned about the Minsc and Boo plainswalker today watching a legacy match at SCG baltimore. That is a hosed up magic the gathering card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

I learned about the Minsc and Boo plainswalker today watching a legacy match at SCG baltimore. That is a hosed up magic the gathering card.

Not available on mtgo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kalel posted:

Well yes if you're going down this path, generally speaking we weigh the pros and cons of things and decide whether it's best for us to have them freely available. That is what gun laws are, for example.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Not available on mtgo

what is mtgo?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

what is mtgo?

modo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Minsc and Boo is playable in legacy? What kind of deck?