Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Ah yes, Disney. Their involvement would definitely calm down the kind of insane Nazis who would be committing these acts of terror.

Yeah, but the median person still loves them (disregarding the fact that the OP meant the general strategy, not any specific firm). If you could get Disney to explicitly support some policy measure and turn their PR resources towards supporting it, you could probably secure supermajority social consensus (for better or worse). Like, if you trigger civil unrest with a 75% vs. 25% distribution of the population, it's a curbstomp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

cr0y posted:

I've been on these forums for nearly 20 years and I still don't know what this emoji means.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure the emoji is nowhere near 20 years old.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cr0y posted:

I've been on these forums for nearly 20 years and I still don't know what this emoji means.

I think its used to say you agree, but not in the way they expect. Like if someone says doing X will lead to horrible consequence Y, and you think "actually Y sounds good to me".

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

cr0y posted:

You don't have to admit embarrassing facts just to get help

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, but the median person still loves them (disregarding the fact that the OP meant the general strategy, not any specific firm). If you could get Disney to explicitly support some policy measure and turn their PR resources towards supporting it, you could probably secure supermajority social consensus (for better or worse). Like, if you trigger civil unrest with a 75% vs. 25% distribution of the population, it's a curbstomp.

Correct. Disney was just the dumb joke I threw in at the end because I trusted the audience to understand I am talking about using all the tools available to the state because this is important.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

mdemone posted:

For example, I don't believe either NY or GA will indict him before the DOJ does. And I believe that once the DOJ does, the other entities will follow quickly along.
Is such coordination even (legally) possible? Grand juries operate independently and recommend charges as the information comes to bear, and the grand jury doesn't dissolve until it has finished working through the evidence. That information becomes public at that point (grand jury recommends charge of X on grounds of sufficient evidence), which is enough for the media and public to start assigning guilt. As to literal indictment, yes some prosecutor needs to file the paperwork, and they might wait until there are more charges.

Sorry, I should have phrased all that as a question. ianal, this was my interpretation of things. :ohdear: I guess I have some reading to do.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Now if they'd suspend the other hate speech accounts... https://news.yahoo.com/gop-candidate-florida-house-booted-050149750.html "Under my plan, all Floridians will have permission to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF and all other feds on sight! Let freedom ring!"

Are they gonna do something about domestic terrorists or not?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Now if they'd suspend the other hate speech accounts... https://news.yahoo.com/gop-candidate-florida-house-booted-050149750.html "Under my plan, all Floridians will have permission to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF and all other feds on sight! Let freedom ring!"

Are they gonna do something about domestic terrorists or not?

I suppose Florida got off too lightly the last time they seceded.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

2. If reincarnated today, the White Rose would stand against everything the GOP champions, and Paul would be among the loudest voices calling for them to be labelled domestic terrorists.

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to compare White Rose with BLM and see what Paul has to say about that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

I suppose Florida got off too lightly the last time they seceded.

This time it'll be easier. Just let them either drown or move back toward the continent.

Jacksonville will probably get worse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cimber posted:

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to compare White Rose with BLM and see what Paul has to say about that.

He's very slightly more subtle than his father, so he probably wouldn't immediately start dogwhistling about the fleet-footed youths. Probably.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mdemone posted:

This time it'll be easier. Just let them either drown or move back toward the continent.

Jacksonville will probably get worse.

I can assure you that St. Augustine (45 miles south and far more white) is getting noticeably worse. Jacksonville is surprisingly about 50/50 blue to red but they have a large black population. It's still an ugly, stupid, violent and disgusting town in ways that can't be categorized along racial lines though. The whole city is loving lost and filled with absolute abject loving morons that transcend race, no matter how they vote, and the democrats we elect there loving suck hard.

St. Augustine is another matter entirely but becoming just as dumb, ugly and mean. I used to love living here. Even though there were a lot of rednecks and good ole boys they mostly leaned into the Jimmy Buffet style of things (if that makes sense) and, even though they were largely conservative, they weren't quite such...assholes about it. They just listened to country music, drank beer and went fishing and poo poo. It was kind of laid back. Now? They're up in people's faces all the time. It's kind of hard to explain but the (bad) shift in mood and just the general overall tone is getting uglier, louder and more confrontational. The shift is palpable and it aint good.

Everyone is angry, sad, resigned or some combination of the three. Everyone is broke; even the people with money. The angry ones are wearing it on their sleeves, looking for a fight and none of them are adopting that stance and attitude to push back against the likes of DeSantis, Trump or out of control cops. They seem to be hungering for more fascism.

That's my report from the ground in the 904 anyway.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BiggerBoat posted:

St. Augustine is another matter entirely but becoming just as dumb, ugly and mean.

Now? They're up in people's faces all the time. It's kind of hard to explain but the (bad) shift in mood and just the general overall tone is getting uglier, louder and more confrontational. The shift is palpable and it aint good.

This makes me really sad. I spent a lot of time bodyboarding, skimming and fishing around St Augustine (and particularly Vilano) from college and into early adulthood. Always loved my time there.

It always had a Big Truck Shitkicker feel in the background but never in a malevolent way.

gently caress.

I’m sorry it’s gotten lovely.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I can assure you that St. Augustine (45 miles south and far more white) is getting noticeably worse. Jacksonville is surprisingly about 50/50 blue to red but they have a large black population. It's still an ugly, stupid, violent and disgusting town in ways that can't be categorized along racial lines though. The whole city is loving lost and filled with absolute abject loving morons that transcend race, no matter how they vote, and the democrats we elect there loving suck hard.

St. Augustine is another matter entirely but becoming just as dumb, ugly and mean. I used to love living here. Even though there were a lot of rednecks and good ole boys they mostly leaned into the Jimmy Buffet style of things (if that makes sense) and, even though they were largely conservative, they weren't quite such...assholes about it. They just listened to country music, drank beer and went fishing and poo poo. It was kind of laid back. Now? They're up in people's faces all the time. It's kind of hard to explain but the (bad) shift in mood and just the general overall tone is getting uglier, louder and more confrontational. The shift is palpable and it aint good.

Everyone is angry, sad, resigned or some combination of the three. Everyone is broke; even the people with money. The angry ones are wearing it on their sleeves, looking for a fight and none of them are adopting that stance and attitude to push back against the likes of DeSantis, Trump or out of control cops. They seem to be hungering for more fascism.

I believe it. ITs the same all over. They have been enboldened to be assholes to people who don't believe the same thing politically. All the 'if you vote democract you hate america' stuff over and over and over and over eventually sinks in.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BiggerBoat posted:

A great intro to this video!

https://twitter.com/TheNoahGoldberg/status/1561167035819769857

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

There’s really no way to fight in bleachers without looking absolutely ridiculous and more than a little bit like a Royal Rumble.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Smeef posted:

There’s really no way to fight in bleachers without looking absolutely ridiculous and more than a little bit like a Royal Rumble.
Two minutes later people are still purposefully going toward the fighting, being held back physically, because... why? They really think they'll get in there and actually be able to identify "that one guy wearing an XYZ tshirt"? What were they fighting about? The fact that it's too damned hot outside?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Two minutes later people are still purposefully going toward the fighting, being held back physically, because... why? They really think they'll get in there and actually be able to identify "that one guy wearing an XYZ tshirt"? What were they fighting about? The fact that it's too damned hot outside?

due to the event and amount of people, emotions are running high. Add in alcohol and there's always a reason. It's also why sports bars tend to get a lot of fights on big game days.

Banning alcohol from events like these (especially sports) has been pretty effective in preventing violence.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cranappleberry posted:

due to the event and amount of people, emotions are running high. Add in alcohol and there's always a reason. It's also why sports bars tend to get a lot of fights on big game days.

Banning alcohol from events like these (especially sports) has been pretty effective in preventing violence.

True, but if you banned alcohol sales in any NFL stadium, you'd see some violence right quick.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Preseason football between Jax and the Steelers is the most nothing of anything that matters

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

As someone who sold beer at NFL games in college you would do a lot just to crack down on overconsumption. When you trot out 20 year olds kids in front of violently drunk assholes not a single one of them will stop serving. Especially since if they decide to steal from you when you say no (which I’ve seen) it comes out of your pocket. I once saw someone get served who had clearly just vomited in a trash can.

DUI is another problem, more than once I saw assholes I had served driving out of the parking lot.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

kronix posted:

As someone who sold beer at NFL games in college you would do a lot just to crack down on overconsumption. When you trot out 20 year olds kids in front of violently drunk assholes not a single one of them will stop serving. Especially since if they decide to steal from you when you say no (which I’ve seen) it comes out of your pocket. I once saw someone get served who had clearly just vomited in a trash can.

DUI is another problem, more than once I saw assholes I had served driving out of the parking lot.

They oughta just stop selling in the stands, make those drunk assholes climb some stairs if they can, and then the concession workers have a much better shot at identifying and refusing.

loving sucks that they'd steal from a vendor in the stands. Oughta get banned from the stadium.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Banning beer is never gonna happen. The league makes too much money from sales and sponsorships.

I've been sitting here thinking about the high price of the piss water that stadiums sell and my first instinct is that charging $14 for a loving Bid Light should, in theory, cut down on consumption. But when I consider it more, I realize that often what winds up happening is that fans get super hosed outside even before the kickoff to avoid getting gouged. So you're dealing with tens of thousands of already poo poo faced people in a tight space at like 1pm. Or, worse, if it's a 4pm kickoff or a night game, then they've been drinking all loving day and it's even worse.

I don't know what you do about it and, even though I drink, it's one among several reasons why I don't go to games anymore. The fights I've seen happen were almost always over something stupid. Trash talking or people stumbling around and bumping people or spilling stuff on others seems like the main cause.

Some stadiums stop serving after halftime to temper the issue but, again, that just leads to people buying more before the cut off and drinking more/faster than they normally would. By my estimation, the really out of control fans already entered the stadium drunk and were over the line before the game even started. They're easy to spot.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The only way to make a dent in the problem would be to have a much larger event staff, many of whom are basically policing the stadium for this specific reason. And nobody wants that because that job sucks, and also it impacts "event feel" for the customers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mdemone posted:

True, but if you banned alcohol sales in any NFL stadium, you'd see some violence right quick.

zenguitarman posted:

Preseason football between Jax and the Steelers is the most nothing of anything that matters

Ban the Steelers instead IMO.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, much easier than banning beer, and way more effective.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They don't serve vodka so I don't go. And it would cost like $50 per shot.

Regarding djt, if the standing order was "to declassify documents taken from the wh and placed at MAL" --- it's a load of bull, but hypothetically --- then the documents would be top secret until they reached MAL which means "(still) classified documents were removed". (IE, they should have been declassified before being removed but weren't.) Ergo the laws have still been broken. Checkmate :saddowns:jt.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Silly Burrito posted:

Sir, are you taking about banning America’s team?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Residency Evil posted:

Sir, are you taking about banning America’s team?

I didn't say anything about the Bills.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

They don't serve vodka so I don't go. And it would cost like $50 per shot.

Regarding djt, if the standing order was "to declassify documents taken from the wh and placed at MAL" --- it's a load of bull, but hypothetically --- then the documents would be top secret until they reached MAL which means "(still) classified documents were removed". (IE, they should have been declassified before being removed but weren't.) Ergo the laws have still been broken. Checkmate :saddowns:jt.
They serve vodka at baseball stadiums. At least for concerts.

Couldn't Biden also just say he re-classified them with his mind when he became president?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

AvesPKS posted:

Couldn't Biden also just say he re-classified them with his mind when he became president?

As I understand it, yes.

When arguing with conservatives on social media about whether or not Trump has committed a crime, after they stumble over your question I then ask pointedly who they believe to be POTUS rn.

There is some variety of replies, but pursuing this line definitely seems to frustrate them.

If their replies are patently absurd, start probing them for antisemitic beliefs.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Its more along the lines of asking them "Do you really agree that trump should be allowed to declasify nuclear secrets to get out of trouble', and see how they react to that.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Cimber posted:

Its more along the lines of asking them "Do you really agree that trump should be allowed to declasify nuclear secrets to get out of trouble', and see how they react to that.

Conservatives will respond 'yes.' Remember when Trump tweeted that satellite image of Iran and the image was immediately, automatically declassified and that trump was not charged with any crime for it?

"If the president is doing it, its not against the law" is the position they will defend.

That's when you have to press them on the question of who they believe presently holds the office of the president. At least, I take this tack and it's been fun.

Then, I press the hypothetical - if a candidate you voted for wins an election, legally sells nuclear secrets to Saudi arabia, and then loses the next election - would you withdraw your support for that candidate.

At no point does the argument bear any fruit, of course. It's a futile exercise. But I enjoy it.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 21, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Uglycat posted:

Conservatives will respond 'yes.' Remember when Trump tweeted that satellite image of Iran and the image was immediately, automatically declassified and that trump was not charged with any crime for it?

"If the president is doing it, its not against the law" is the position they will defend.

That's when you have to press them on the question of who they believe presently holds the office of the president. At least, I take this tack and it's been fun.

Ok, so then you ask them "when exactly did Trump declasify those documents that the FBI took from him two weeks ago, can I see them, and did he follow the process to declassify them? Because no one else in the government seemed to know they were declassified."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cimber posted:

Ok, so then you ask them "when exactly did Trump declasify those documents that the FBI took from him two weeks ago, can I see them, and did he follow the process to declassify them? Because no one else in the government seemed to know they were declassified."

Classification is irrelevant to the Espionage Act anyway. It doesn't matter if he declassified them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Silly Burrito posted:

I didn't say anything about the Bills.

What’s more American than blue collar steelworkers and if we’re honest, the other stuff?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Classification is irrelevant to the Espionage Act anyway. It doesn't matter if he declassified them.

And yet that has been the media's thread since the day of the warrant being served.

How could this have happened.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Bleh. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/08/21/lindsey-graham-georgia-subpoena-blocked-appeal/7859963001/

Fine upstanding public servant. :guillotine:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It's a loving grand jury. They can ask them anything they want related tonthe crimes under investigation. If he doesn't want to incriminate himself, he can plead the fifth. Ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My take on was that the original judge just said, "Lol, GTFO" and the appeals judge said, "However vacuous his arguments, you have to address them and explain why they don't apply. Do that and we can proceed."