Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I figured the burrs may have a slight size difference or something and just kinda used all the parts in the kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nwin posted:

What shim assembly are you talking about? If I just replaced the burrs I shouldn’t have to do any of that, right? The instructions didn’t mention it at least.

Edit: oh just the washers…I guess I don’t see a reason to add or subtract any.

It's the placement of them along the shaft that determines initial proximity of the burrs. This is from the manual:

The cone burr/drive gear assembly uses washers in two places:
-Beneath the cone burr
-Inside the gearbox
Washers beneath the cone burr modify grind range. More washers = finer grinding.
Washers inside the gearbox modify vertical play in the assembly. More washers=less play

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
After several years of roasting my own beans and making cold brew I wondered if I was faffing about for nothing

Then I got some grocery roasted beans from my mom and made cold brew

Now I’m glad I roast my own beans

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Steve Yun posted:

After several years of roasting my own beans and making cold brew I wondered if I was faffing about for nothing

Then I got some grocery roasted beans from my mom and made cold brew

Now I’m glad I roast my own beans

absolutely. Home roasting loving rocks and I'll never stop. Hope my kaffelogic lives up to the hype.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should add the beans were probably old too

I’m sure there are some good grocery beans that make it to your coffee mug in two weeks

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I know you can't really do many brew techniques right after roasting, are there any? I feel like it'd be an experience worth trying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe a silly question, but is there a more mid-range/cheaper recommendation for a drip machine then the brand in the OP? When I looked that one up it was something like 200$ Canadian - a lot more then I want to spend. Like are there any features I want to keep an eye out for, or are most going to be fairly samey outside of getting a real pricey one?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe a silly question, but is there a more mid-range/cheaper recommendation for a drip machine then the brand in the OP? When I looked that one up it was something like 200$ Canadian - a lot more then I want to spend. Like are there any features I want to keep an eye out for, or are most going to be fairly samey outside of getting a real pricey one?

Cheap brewers all have a couple anti-features in common: they’re too cool at the start of the brew and they have badly designed showerheads. Unfortunately those are the two things a brewer really needs to do right to get a well extracted coffee, since extraction depends on temperature, time, and flow. Otherwise cheap brewers are basically all the same and it doesn’t matter if you get a mr coffee, bunn, whatever. A programmable start time is a nice feature, as is a thermal carafe instead of a hotplate.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

I know you can't really do many brew techniques right after roasting, are there any? I feel like it'd be an experience worth trying.

you can do whatever you want, the coffee just won't have as much flavor until it rests for at least a day. I've rosated beans and made coffee immediately because I ran out an embarrasing number of times

Oxyclean posted:

the good drip brewers: https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

If a manufacturer is on there you can count on most of their machines being good because I think the SCA makes you pay to have each model certified. I have a behmor brazen and it appears to have dropped off that list because they did a revision to add bluetooth functionality to it or something and changed the model number. There's only a few Bonavitas listed but I think most of their machines have the same innards.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 18, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Clark Nova posted:

you can do whatever you want, the coffee just won't have as much flavor until it rests for at least a day. I've rosated beans and made coffee immediately because I ran out an embarrasing number of times

Confirmed. I've done that too just because it smells so hella good.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Oxyclean posted:

I've done a bunch of research on this lately and, especially up here, there's basically a desert between the $100 nice non-sca ones and the lower end of the SCA ones which, on sale, seem to start at like $220.

Basically, unless you wanna splurge, just grab a machine with a thermal carafe and whatever programmable options you want. I got a breville brewsense for like $100 and it's good enough that I need to up my bean game before I care about something pricier.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Confirmed. I've done that too just because it smells so hella good.

it's one of those weirdass things no one understands. some dudes have won major world championships with coffee they roasted mere hours ahead of them and the ikawa/kaffelogic people claim that air roasts are Just Different and ready sooner, but there is not any science or real data to support it (which is frankly a trend with coffee roasting, the basic science that's been done on it is extremely primitive)

i've tried enough fresh coffee to know that you can still tell if you hosed up basically immediately. but if you did a good job, it's hard to know how good the coffee will be at that point

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Have you considered trying pourovers?

Setups are very inexpensive and tend to come out much better than a dripper. Obviously a lot more effort though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

to elaborate I just roasted some sulawesi beans into the second crack (much darker than I usually prefer, but hey, I can't have ethiopian beans every single time) and it tasted pretty damned scorched on the day of roasting, but the flavor caught up and balanced it out on day two and beyond

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Yeah based on my experience I only brew with less than 1 day rest if I forgot to roast for the week. I will try one of those ready to drink profiles with the kaffelogic when I get it, though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I have a Clever Dripper that my dad got me in an attempt to get me into his coffee hobby. It very much worked and is why I'm following this thread now. I think it may be even simpler than a normal pour over (I guess it's technically immersion).

I know very little about coffee, but it's dead simple to make a great tasting cup with the Clever. I should probably branch out into trying some other methods, but I'm lazy and this just works.

Edit: this was in response to the pour over vs inexpensive drip brewer suggestion.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, the only thing a drip brewer has over the clever coffee dripper in terms of ease of use is not having to time the immersion yourself. Are there any clever dripper clones that are worth checking out now that the original is like forty goddamn dollars and still plastic?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, the only thing a drip brewer has over the clever coffee dripper in terms of ease of use is not having to time the immersion yourself. Are there any clever dripper clones that are worth checking out now that the original is like forty goddamn dollars and still plastic?

Hario Switch. It needs a filter of some kind (Paper, metal, cloth, etc) and has a bunch a different 'recipes' depending on the grind size and filter used. But I always end up back with Hoffman's Sibarist setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIvN8mlK9Y

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

.Z. posted:

Hario Switch. It needs a filter of some kind (Paper, metal, cloth, etc) and has a bunch a different 'recipes' depending on the grind size and filter used. But I always end up back with Hoffman's Sibarist setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIvN8mlK9Y

Hario needs to make the switch look more like V60 and then I’m on it

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

eke out posted:

it's one of those weirdass things no one understands. some dudes have won major world championships with coffee they roasted mere hours ahead of them and the ikawa/kaffelogic people claim that air roasts are Just Different and ready sooner, but there is not any science or real data to support it (which is frankly a trend with coffee roasting, the basic science that's been done on it is extremely primitive)

i've tried enough fresh coffee to know that you can still tell if you hosed up basically immediately. but if you did a good job, it's hard to know how good the coffee will be at that point

I just finished most of an article touting air roasting which claims that its main advantage over drum roasting is regular chaff removal as you go through first crack and on. So it tastes better sans chaff.. Behmor has a chaff tray and does that too?

Okay, air roasting seems to take a third to a quarter of the time and they say that is beneficial to retaining "true flavor"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I use a motorized whirlypop and one of those bean coolers from Amazon. I rub the beans around against the mesh of the bean cooler to remove as much chaff as possible. I've also started just sharply blowing out the chaff after grinding. Works well. chaff definitely affects flavor ime.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

I just finished most of an article touting air roasting which claims that its main advantage over drum roasting is regular chaff removal as you go through first crack and on. So it tastes better sans chaff.. Behmor has a chaff tray and does that too?

Okay, air roasting seems to take a third to a quarter of the time and they say that is beneficial to retaining "true flavor"

chaff comes off in drums just fine, i don't think i've ever heard anyone suggest that's an actual issue (outside of marketing like that)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

hypnophant posted:

Cheap brewers all have a couple anti-features in common: they’re too cool at the start of the brew and they have badly designed showerheads. Unfortunately those are the two things a brewer really needs to do right to get a well extracted coffee, since extraction depends on temperature, time, and flow. Otherwise cheap brewers are basically all the same and it doesn’t matter if you get a mr coffee, bunn, whatever. A programmable start time is a nice feature, as is a thermal carafe instead of a hotplate.

I like mr. coffee solely based on the name out of all the cheap brewers out there

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Technology Connections just did a video on the history and innards of Mr Coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp9H0MO-qS8

Note: Alec is very much not "into" coffee like we are - as he explicitly mentions in the video. I'm totally with him on not having the brain space to be obsessive about everything!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bobstar posted:

Note: Alec is very much not "into" coffee like we are - as he explicitly mentions in the video. I'm totally with him on not having the brain space to be obsessive about everything!

Hames Joffmann also isn't that into coffee
https://youtu.be/KWH6LUBzlW8

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

People recommend using filtered water for the best coffee experience. Does that still apply to a Moka pot where water is evaporated, which is a form of filtering water?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No, it brews with liquid water. The grounds holder has a dip tube that extends low into the water reservoir. When the water boils, it fills the air space, then pressurizes. That pressure pushes the water down and then up the dip tube!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

That's right! Thanks!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

People recommend using filtered water for the best coffee experience. Does that still apply to a Moka pot where water is evaporated, which is a form of filtering water?

filtered water is almost entirely for taste and if your water tastes good out of the tap, you don’t necessarily need to filter it. i’m in nyc and never filter, or descale, anything

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
What's the current hottnes for electric grinders, when I mostly use it for filtered and french press? I'm due for a change.
I currently got a Baratza 270 that's now a few years old and honestly the noise is getting to me. The grind is also quite uneven and taking it apart, cleaning everything, and putting it back together didn't really fix it.
I've got a Comandante at work and I really would love to get a similar grind at home without the need to manually grind it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Helios Grime posted:

What's the current hottnes for electric grinders, when I mostly use it for filtered and french press? I'm due for a change.
I currently got a Baratza 270 that's now a few years old and honestly the noise is getting to me. The grind is also quite uneven and taking it apart, cleaning everything, and putting it back together didn't really fix it.
I've got a Comandante at work and I really would love to get a similar grind at home without the need to manually grind it.

Fellow Ode with SSP burrs if you do lighter roasts.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Echoing the Fellow Ode with SSP burrs. That’s the setup I have and it’s really great. I went from Comandante as well and it’s clearly, at the least, even with it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Checking my options to buy it locally, the ssp burrs run almost at the same price point as the Ode.

lol

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, it’s a big cost, but also worthwhile for lighter roasts. I wouldn’t use an Ode without them. The stock burrs aren’t really good for light roasts, you can’t grind fine enough.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Helios Grime posted:

Checking my options to buy it locally, the ssp burrs run almost at the same price point as the Ode.

lol

The ode is good with the standard burrs. You can buy the ssp burrs separately down the road if you feel inclined to upgrade.

The lagom mini also looks good at that price point. It has conical instead of flat burrs, which are different but not necessarily better or worse. The common wisdom is you get more texture with conical burrs and more clarity with flat. Your comandante and baratza both have conical burr sets. The ode or the df64 are the cheapest ways to get into flat burrs, I think, if you're interested in trying the difference for yourself. The niche is another conical burr set grinder that's great at both filter and espresso, if you might ever want to dip your toes, but it's more expensive than the lagom or ode.

If you're in europe, the wilfa uniform is also well regarded. It has flat burrs like the ode.

Gunder posted:

Yeah, it’s a big cost, but also worthwhile for lighter roasts. I wouldn’t use an Ode without them. The stock burrs aren’t really good for light roasts, you can’t grind fine enough.

I thought they'd tweaked that on the newer manufactured models. I know there were complaints about that when it was first released, but it was supposed to have been revised.

fake edit: google answered my question. The revised standard burrs are going out to kickstarter backers now, so units in retail channels will probably have the old set for a while. Thread about it on HB:

quote:

Wanted to answer a few questions:

1) Pricing will be released once Kickstarter is taken care of. We have to do this in phases. Kickstarter first, Ode owners next, then new production.

2) I designed these burrs specifically for Odes motor. You can grind the lightest filter roasts at Setting 1, one click off of burr touch and the motor will not stall. I designed many sets of burrs that struggled with this; which is one of the reasons why this took so long.

3) The Gen 2 burrs have a totally different flavor profile than the SSP MPs. My goal was to design something that would make as many people happy as possible. The SSP MPs are supremely clear with a lighter body; precise flavor separation. The Gen 2 burrs are more of an "all around" unimodal burr with a spread. There is some flavor blending with higher body with enough clarity to respect the coffee.

4) These will not grind fine enough for espresso at all. I did that intentionally. You can get a particle size of around 250 microns or so. If you align the burrs and season them, you can probably pull a sprover.

5) I have seen people start to say "these burrs look like X". While they may appear visually similar at first glance, no 64mm set like this exists. Every angle of attack and piece of this burr was agonized over for over a year. Specifically designed for Ode and specifically designed to not do espresso and have a specific flavor profile.

When they come out I hope people enjoy them. I've been brewing with them for the past 4 months straight and I don't think I could have done better at the price point.

Nick

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hypnophant posted:

The common wisdom is you get more texture with conical burrs and more clarity with flat.

People always talk about these as if they're mutually exclusive, is that because fines cause texture but also muddiness / fractional over extraction?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

People always talk about these as if they're mutually exclusive, is that because fines cause texture but also muddiness / fractional over extraction?

that seems to be the trade off, yes. but it’s not a directly linear relationship, more of a frontier - like you can have a muddy tasting coffee that doesn’t have great texture. also this is all really really subjective stuff so who knows how much of it is nerds just neurolinguistically programming themselves.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I think Fellow released a “v1.1” version of their original burrs to deal with not grinding fine enough which is what currently comes in the grinder. I think reviews still say these don’t grind fine enough for light roast coffee.

I saw that they put up a page for their “v2” burrs which is supposed to further address the issue but they’re not fully released to the public yet. There was a link on Reddit and one of the Fellow employees commented that the page wasn’t supposed to be available to the general public.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mes posted:

I think Fellow released a “v1.1” version of their original burrs to deal with not grinding fine enough which is what currently comes in the grinder. I think reviews still say these don’t grind fine enough for light roast coffee.

This has been my experience as well, they still can't grind fine enough. With the SSP burrs though, they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I picked up the pressure gauge kit for my Flair Neo and it immediately made for a huge improvement in the quality of my shots. At this point I wish I'd just started with the Signature, since the bottomless filter basket and PGK were basically essential to getting great espresso and now I'm all out of upgrades to the machine.

Next on my list is a good grinder, since I'm still using the Timemore C2. I like the look of the Eureka Mignon grinders. Am I missing out on better coffee around the same price if I go with the Notte?