Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Kingtheninja posted:

I am just bopping about in chapter 3,exploring every inch of the map trying to find routes to various map icons. I'm having a blast. Can you find hero's in the wild? Or are they all story related like Ethel

Magnifying glasses on the map that when you point to them will say "quest related event" usually lead to Hero(yellow name) quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm kind of torn about gems, it's great that you don't have to farm the mats for each rank and can skip ahead, but on the other hand it makes me feel like I'm "wasting" mats on unnecessary lower ranks. Like oh I can save ether cylinders if I skip rank II and hold out to rank III. I know it's just a me thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh gently caress you can skip ranks can’t you. :negative: So I don’t need to farm mats for the lower level gems…

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I'm kind of torn about gems, it's great that you don't have to farm the mats for each rank and can skip ahead, but on the other hand it makes me feel like I'm "wasting" mats on unnecessary lower ranks. Like oh I can save ether cylinders if I skip rank II and hold out to rank III. I know it's just a me thing.

I doubt any non-trivial portion of people playing the game had trouble with ether cylinders (or gems).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Buffteen would have been better. Really lean into it and hit the weights.

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished it and the ending confused me. I thought Origin was meant to be a way of merging the words without anything being destroyed but Moebius were still worried about the consequences/thought it wouldn't work and that's why they stopped time but why did the worlds split again then? Did I just completely misinterpret an earlier cutscene?

Play from your cleared save file. You may get further answers from someone you weren't able to interact with before.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

did they really just dangle the lost vanguard class in front of me and then not give me the hero quest until an indeterminate later point in time?

yes, yes they did. extremely rude

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Don't worry Poke around the City as soon as you can

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any particular rhyme or reason to hunting down gem mats? I’m missing poo poo like Krammit Device Fragments and Gooey Upa Eggs and the game doesn’t tell you where they are. Where do I get those?
Krammits and Upas. Good loving luck. (I mean they show up intermittently but that's really all you get)

can I kill any Quarmu for these Acid-Resistant Quarmu whatevers for the Yumsmith hero quest?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Don't worry Poke around the City as soon as you can
i have! at several points in the story progression, even (i just got the boat)! ain't nothing here yet besides a couple of side quests

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Amppelix posted:

i have! at several points in the story progression, even (i just got the boat)! ain't nothing here yet besides a couple of side quests

You must've missed a quest somewhere. I had the class before unlocking the ship. I'm pretty sure....

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

Go right back to where she first left

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Midgame spoilers.

Mio punching the everliving poo poo out of the pontificating Moebius cemented her as one of my favorite JRPG characters ever for that simple act alone.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was a loving king hit, too

Fun fact I just discovered (post-game spoilers): Every character that uses Martial Artist as a class uses Ghondor's Blade. However, by putting them in the outfit of one of the post-game classes, you can use their bare fists instead. So Mio is currently bareknuckle boxing everything as I grind.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

poe meater posted:

You must've missed a quest somewhere.
if i have, at the very least it's not showing up as a ? on the map. guess i'll try some more though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the quest guide I'm following says that "you man need [class inheritor] at level 10" before ascension quests appear. is that actually true? the "may" is making me anxious

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

the quest guide I'm following says that "you man need [class inheritor] at level 10" before ascension quests appear. is that actually true? the "may" is making me anxious

All ascension quests require rank 10

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Countblanc posted:

The wording just means someone needs to be at rank 10 for the class and you need to clear all other prerequisite quests

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Is it anyone or specifically the inheritor? Pretty likely your inheritor is at lvl 10 if any party member is since they get it 1st and level faster, but that could be an issue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Midgame spoilers.

Mio punching the everliving poo poo out of the pontificating Moebius cemented her as one of my favorite JRPG characters ever for that simple act alone.

That whole scene was great; they interrupt the fused Moebius in the middle of its monologue and then just make sure it explodes away from them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edit: sorry for the two separate posts; 0osting on my phone where it's more awkward to deal with copy/pasting.

Tender Bender posted:

One issue I have with both the gems and collectopaedia cards is that there's no good way to know how much of each material you'll need for other things. And in the case of the cards, it also doesn't tell you how any of each material you already have (this is the worst, since I think these are necessary to max out at least some of the colonies; it'd be good if I could easily find which ones I can turn in a zillion times).

I've been resorting to opening a notepad file where I list all my "abundant" collectables/materials.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Shyfted One posted:

Is it anyone or specifically the inheritor? Pretty likely your inheritor is at lvl 10 if any party member is since they get it 1st and level faster, but that could be an issue.

It's anyone, the inheritor is just most likely/easiest to hit rank 10 first with between them having instant access and S rank aptitude meaning they get the most possible CP from enemies. I do know this since a few classes I had non-inheritors reach 10 first and still unlocked the ascension quest.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also this requirement isn't like hidden or anything, it's listed in the hero roster where it says how to ascend that class if you haven't got anyone at rank 10 yet

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Postgame notes. Nia's battle theme is a Drifting Souls remix, not what I expected but very nice. More of this please. I like how the additional story details are shaping up so far. Also abusing Noah's lucky seven talent art to one-shot enemies 20 levels over my party... insane, and it works on elites too. Honestly can't believe the game hands you an ability like that during the main story and makes it so abusable with the cross fencer skill.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: sorry for the two separate posts; 0osting on my phone where it's more awkward to deal with copy/pasting.

One issue I have with both the gems and collectopaedia cards is that there's no good way to know how much of each material you'll need for other things. And in the case of the cards, it also doesn't tell you how any of each material you already have (this is the worst, since I think these are necessary to max out at least some of the colonies; it'd be good if I could easily find which ones I can turn in a zillion times).

I've been resorting to opening a notepad file where I list all my "abundant" collectables/materials.

Do any gems require the same materials as collectopaedia cards? There are probably quests that do but I think collectopaedia cards are mostly found items and gems are enemy drops.

I’m annoyed by that quest in Colony 4 that requires a shitload of Legendary drops from Agnes levnises. All the Agnes enemies are like lv 57 now I can’t even kill them. And each one only give like 5% completion. I still need like 7 more items.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Krammits and Upas. Good loving luck. (I mean they show up intermittently but that's really all you get)

can I kill any Quarmu for these Acid-Resistant Quarmu whatevers for the Yumsmith hero quest?

Seems that way. There's one section of lake near Lambda that has them.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

The gem requirements start getting ridiculous around tier VIII, and it reminds me of XBX. I'm not convinced you need high tier gems at any point, unless there's eventually a challenge mode on par with 2. Also wonder if it's faster to repeatedly burst UMs to farm coins instead of materials. The drops from burst seem to pull from the same table as the regular drops.

In the main game I never farmed gem materials, and often skipped tiers because I had to. I don't think it made a big difference.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mea Tulpa posted:

The gem requirements start getting ridiculous around tier VIII, and it reminds me of XBX. I'm not convinced you need high tier gems at any point, unless there's eventually a challenge mode on par with 2. Also wonder if it's faster to repeatedly burst UMs to farm coins instead of materials. The drops from burst seem to pull from the same table as the regular drops.

In the main game I never farmed gem materials, and often skipped tiers because I had to. I don't think it made a big difference.

There's a basically post-game area with large mobs of level 92-100 demi-human monsters and UM boss duo that summon more. Mechanical spoiler: You are unable to interlink in this area.

I would probably need a good gem setup for those two since I'm only level 93. It's the one area where you really need good mob control.

Edit: I'm glad that barely came up in the main game.

Edit 2: I'm so glad spike armor is gone.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You might need the higher-tier gems for some of the UMs, I've seen at least one that was above the level cap

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm finding it difficult to progress the main plot past Ch.6 because:

just how much more depressing can it get? A lot, I bet. I'm scared of it, I don't like being sad

Prowler
May 24, 2004

brand engager posted:

You might need the higher-tier gems for some of the UMs, I've seen at least one that was above the level cap

I've beat a level 110 and level 105 at level 91 without any special prep. They're surprisingly easy to take on. It gets hairy when you fight large mobs of high level enemies, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, the Lost Exile class quest might be the best of all of them. :allears:

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I feel like the marginal benefit from an X tier gem over VII can be overcome with a good setup. I'm still going through lots of quests and not taking on the highest level enemies, so I could just be making poo poo up too.

Nyoro posted:

I'm finding it difficult to progress the main plot past Ch.6 because:

just how much more depressing can it get? A lot, I bet. I'm scared of it, I don't like being sad

I'm not gonna spoil any specific events, but still putting this in tags for general lategame discussion imo past the big cutscenes you're really in the denouement of the plot. When I finished chapter 5 it felt like the climax at the time. You've seen the most crushing parts. Granted this is darkest of the Xenoblade games so I won't say it's all rainbows, but from here on probably no worse than what XB2 throws at you.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Gems are more important fighting super bosses on hard, specifically (mechanic) re challenging super bosses at higher and higher levels. One of them can reach 200. They do it on normal too but hard is, well, harder!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The bonus xp system is kinda weird and bad. Feels like a bandaid to a problem (side quests overleveling you) instead of a solution.

Guess the best path is just to never use it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

brand engager posted:

You can definitely beat everything in the game without using gems. Though it goes without saying those fights will take longer. Also I guess without gems you might not be able to use the ultra cheese game breaking strat that becomes available in chapter 6 since I'm not sure if you'll be able to move invincibility from Noah to Mio and have her spread it then permanently freeze it with the troubadour talent art due to slower attack speeds and losing out on the 50% duration buff from a level X buff duration gem.

PantsBandit posted:

The bonus xp system is kinda weird and bad. Feels like a bandaid to a problem (side quests overleveling you) instead of a solution.

Guess the best path is just to never use it?

Never use it unless you want to be super overleveled if you're doing a lot of exploring and sidequests since those will overlevel you to begin with.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Evil Fluffy posted:

Never use it unless you want to be super overleveled if you're doing a lot of exploring and sidequests since those will overlevel you to begin with.

See that's just bizarre. Clearly they put it in as a way to try and stabilize the difficulty curve but it relies on player participation (or lack thereof) to do so. If the player has no idea what the bonus XP system is, of course they're going to use it! It's free levels!

Either explain clearly the purpose of the XP system or find a more elegant solution.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 22, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It is so insane you cannot level down that I feel it must be some sort of mistake

(Since you can in 2)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mea Tulpa posted:

I'm not gonna spoil any specific events, but still putting this in tags for general lategame discussion imo past the big cutscenes you're really in the denouement of the plot. When I finished chapter 5 it felt like the climax at the time. You've seen the most crushing parts. Granted this is darkest of the Xenoblade games so I won't say it's all rainbows, but from here on probably no worse than what XB2 throws at you.

Oh yeah I getcha. I myself was like (Ch.6) how the gently caress is this not the end of the game but I guess in a way it maybe kinda was.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

lol that (post-game) they made Melia/her class even worse for the AI to control

Also she kept her dropkick after all these years :allears:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Thanks to the people who answered my combat questions. One more..it indicates that you’re supposed to be able to cancel attack from arts to fusion arts and back, but doesn’t really seem to work?how many chains of cancel stacks can you realistically do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levitate posted:

Thanks to the people who answered my combat questions. One more..it indicates that you’re supposed to be able to cancel attack from arts to fusion arts and back, but doesn’t really seem to work?how many chains of cancel stacks can you realistically do?

You can't chain back until later in the game. By default you can go Regular -> Fusion -> Talent Art, later on you get the ability to chain cancel all moves together.