Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Danhenge posted:

A lot of tradesmen don't, presumably they believe they are too tough for PPE.

I had this actual exchange recently:

Me: 'Hey, I've got a pair of safety glasses right here, don't you want to use them?'
Carpenter sawing through a new wooden door threshold: 'I don't need it, I'm Turkish'

Also, this is a guy that was out of commission for a few weeks because a screw he pulled out of the wall slipped out of his plyers and flew into his eye. Not in my house, fortunately.

lol what a lovely snipe. I enjoy not having a 2cm gap below my front door, though!

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tangy yet delightful posted:

I just hang mine on the spinny bit that adjusts the water, the control knob I guess it's called.

Flick mixer.

How do you hang something off it when there's an escutcheon in the way?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

I just hang mine on the spinny bit that adjusts the water, the control knob I guess it's called.

yeah it doesn't really fit on there, but at the same time for me (I'm a design snob) that would look kind of ugly

I think the hook is fine, and then that can be hidden next to the shower curtain so it's not visible

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if someone were to express concern with how i i store my loofah thingy, i would simply ask that person to not be in my bathroom.

hang it on the knob thingy gang represent

~Coxy posted:

Flick mixer.

knob thingy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Deviant posted:

if someone were to express concern with how i i store my loofah thingy, i would simply ask that person to not be in my bathroom.

hang it on the knob thingy gang represent

knob thingy.

yeah you can't hang it on there because the lever faces downward unfortunately

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Don't hang it on the lever itself, hang it around the neck that comes out of the wall

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Don't hang it on the lever itself, hang it around the neck that comes out of the wall

you can bring it over the lever, but the hanger thing isn't wide enough to get around the part that sticks out. but even if i could get it on there it would look terrible and cover up what is a really nice looking valve trim

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 21, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Magnetic purse hangar in super bling. Or this: https://www.amazon.com/MHDMAG-Magnetic-Neodymium-Workplace-Traveling/dp/B07N4JNGHR/ which came up on the first page of "magnetic purse hangar".

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

EricBauman posted:

I had this actual exchange recently:

Me: 'Hey, I've got a pair of safety glasses right here, don't you want to use them?'
Carpenter sawing through a new wooden door threshold: 'I don't need it, I'm Turkish'

Also, this is a guy that was out of commission for a few weeks because a screw he pulled out of the wall slipped out of his plyers and flew into his eye. Not in my house, fortunately.

lol what a lovely snipe. I enjoy not having a 2cm gap below my front door, though!

My FIL was an industrial union painter for years. He likes to talk about the guy who'd clean his arms, hands and face off at the end of every shift with undiluted MEK.

My FIL also likes to cut bricks with a wet saw without eye protection so bit of pot calling the kettle black.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I mixed varnish in with my shampoo when I had an exterior painting job.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shower hanging chat: get some small suction cup hanger hooks.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Danhenge posted:

A lot of tradesmen don't, presumably they believe they are too tough for PPE.

I know someone that got to finger rettachment #3 before he decided that maybe a table saw blade guard and a push stick was a good idea

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
About a month of prep work and it's finally time to paint. In total, I caulked over a half mile worth of seams in my wood siding. Filled a bunch of holes, removed two defunct spigots and filled the holes. I scraped and sanded a lot. I knew it was going to be a big job but took way longer than I thought. The painting seems like it will go relatively quick compared to the prep.

I got a coat of primer on today. It was my first time spraying and it took some getting used to. I used a masking gun but the underside of my eaves has to be done by hand which took a while. Also masking my foundation took a bit. Moving things from one side of the house to the other also took a long time.

I'm planning to put two coats of paint on this week.

I was covered in overspray so I'm glad I wore a mask and glasses but maybe I'll wear a hood. Whatever the price next time, it's worth it for someone else to do it. It's an asinine amount of work.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 22, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Verman posted:

The painting seems like it will go relatively quick compared to the prep.

It has always been thus.

Verman posted:

I'm planning to put two coats of paint on this week.

Excellent prep work! You spraying?

No matter how you’re doing it- if you can, apply 3-topcoats; it should last at least 20-years.

Nice fuckin’ job by you! And a gorgeous home.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I have a request, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I grew up in an apartment building, and we had a superintendent that would fix stuff when it broke. My wife and I bought a house 4 years ago, and there’s just so much stuff I’m clueless about. I pick it up here and there and try to do some research whenever a crisis pops up, but I feel like I’m missing some basic education.

Is there a YouTube channel that anyone recommends for really basic home maintenance stuff that I could put on while folding laundry or something? My goal is to build up a general layer of comfort about maintaining and cleaning a house, our deck, our lawn and garden. All I could find was at too specialized a level (i.e. a channel for carpentry or a channel on gardening for people who already have a pretty high baseline knowledge). I’m not much of a YouTube user though, so maybe I don’t really know where to look.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My storm runoff (downspouts) goes through an underground pipe to the street, where there is a little 12x12 catch basin. I think the system is designed to flow out of the catch basin and into the street where it goes to the city catch basin.

Problem is that city basin is 100% full of impacted dirt. It does not drain. I’ve notified them several times but LOL New Orleans drainage infrastructure.

So what happens is the road floods, water ponds over the road and my little catch basin, and mud fills the pipe, blocking my gutter/downspout drainage so it just backs up and gushes out of the downspout clean out, flooding around my house too.

Anyone have any idea how to address this other than getting the stupid city basin fixed? We had a service come and flush the backed up pipe, but that cost like $250 and it’s already filling back up with mud two weeks later.

Am I right about how this system is supposed to be working? Can I put some kind of wall around the little catch basin cover to keep mud out?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Me, Homeowner:: I would appreciate it if you closed the garage door
Garage Door: I would appreciate it if you respected my creative process

:sigh:

I hope it's just the electric eye sensors, but they're definitely not blocked, so i may throw in the towel on this one after hitting all the moving parts with some 3-in-1. It gets about halfway down, stops, and retracts, but not always at the same spot.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My storm runoff (downspouts) goes through an underground pipe to the street, where there is a little 12x12 catch basin. I think the system is designed to flow out of the catch basin and into the street where it goes to the city catch basin.

Problem is that city basin is 100% full of impacted dirt. It does not drain. I’ve notified them several times but LOL New Orleans drainage infrastructure.

So what happens is the road floods, water ponds over the road and my little catch basin, and mud fills the pipe, blocking my gutter/downspout drainage so it just backs up and gushes out of the downspout clean out, flooding around my house too.

Anyone have any idea how to address this other than getting the stupid city basin fixed? We had a service come and flush the backed up pipe, but that cost like $250 and it’s already filling back up with mud two weeks later.

Am I right about how this system is supposed to be working? Can I put some kind of wall around the little catch basin cover to keep mud out?

Get a catch basin silt sack like one of these: https://www.ensafeco.com/stormwater-management/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl4DNpeLa-QIV8waICR1JgwgAEAAYAiAAEgKXVfD_BwE

A landscaping supply store should sell them if you want to buy local. You have to clean them out periodically and they can get heavy if you wait too long. You could also install a filter sock around the perimeter of the catch basin. I would say do that in addition to the bag filter instead of in place of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Phil Moscowitz posted:

All my friends in New Orleans just had to end up creating little neighborhood groups to clean out the city storm drains themselves. Sucks but the city was never doing it and they were having the same problems you do.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Related; also in New Orleans; folks parking in the grass just off the street have made it a muddy rutty mess; is there any quick tips on what I need to do to properly backfill and level up to the drop off from the street?

It can’t be as simple as dirt and gravel or is it?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Deviant posted:

I hope it's just the electric eye sensors, but they're definitely not blocked, so i may throw in the towel on this one after hitting all the moving parts with some 3-in-1. It gets about halfway down, stops, and retracts, but not always at the same spot.

Make sure the connections for the electric eyes are tight and that the door is not binding and thinking that it's crashed into the ground or an object and thus reversing and check any limit switches also.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Phil Moscowitz posted:

At least in the 'poor city drainage and that all full of live oak leaves' gulf coast swamp I grew up in, digging out the city storm sewer at our curb that our drainage pipes ran into with my dad was a yearly ritual.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The garage seems to be behaving better after i noticed the chain had slack and tightened it.

I think it was scraping on the carriage and hitting the 'object resistance' sensors

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Deviant posted:

The garage seems to be behaving better after i noticed the chain had slack and tightened it.

I think it was scraping on the carriage and hitting the 'object resistance' sensors

Another thing that can happen is that the tracks may flex a bit as the door moves down them, especially if there's a wheel dragging or binding. If the electric eye units are attached to the tracks (and most are) this flex can be enough to knock them out of alignment. Normally there's enough allowance in the eye for this flexing to not be an issue, but if one of the eyes got smacked by a garbage can or somesuch where it's barely making a connection to its twin in a normal state, it may lose connection and trigger the pet/small child under the door reversal when the track flexes.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Garage door chat is timely for me. Ours sometimes binds, catches, then reverses when going down. I'm 95% certain that it's the bolt/clamp thing at the end of the cable attached to the wheel in the track. The bolt thing rotates slowly with time and sometimes catches the track that it's next to (not sure if that all makes sense).

I have zero idea where to start, except to be scared of messing with garage door cables under tension. I hate to pay someone big dollars to come out if it's actually an easy fix like tightening something.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

JackBandit posted:

I have a request, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I grew up in an apartment building, and we had a superintendent that would fix stuff when it broke. My wife and I bought a house 4 years ago, and there’s just so much stuff I’m clueless about. I pick it up here and there and try to do some research whenever a crisis pops up, but I feel like I’m missing some basic education.

Is there a YouTube channel that anyone recommends for really basic home maintenance stuff that I could put on while folding laundry or something? My goal is to build up a general layer of comfort about maintaining and cleaning a house, our deck, our lawn and garden. All I could find was at too specialized a level (i.e. a channel for carpentry or a channel on gardening for people who already have a pretty high baseline knowledge). I’m not much of a YouTube user though, so maybe I don’t really know where to look.

I like DIY Renovision for a pretty wide range of stuff. Some of it may be on the advanced side, but he has a ton of content that is also pretty basic. This Old House has a solid YouTube backlog as well, though some of it is oddly specific to the East Coast market.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Yooper posted:

I like DIY Renovision for a pretty wide range of stuff. Some of it may be on the advanced side, but he has a ton of content that is also pretty basic. This Old House has a solid YouTube backlog as well, though some of it is oddly specific to the East Coast market.

Came in here to post literally those two channels.

DIY renovation is great. That guy can do everything and his attitude is very matter of fact. He's got a little bit of natural humor that he'll object but nothing over the top of annoying. He has long videos that show the whole process of things but he's to the point. He doesn't add a lot of unnecessary fluff.

For instance, Idaho painter is great paint info but he goes way to deep at times. He'll have a video titled "back rolling after airless spraying" which should only be a few minutes to explain and show the process but somehow it will be 45 minutes of him talking way too deep.

This old house is fantastic. That's how I know I've crossed over the geriatric bridge when it's one of my favorite things to watch. As a kid, I remember it coming on Sunday morning TV and cut off the cartoons. I hated it. The thought of watching little fix old houses was shockingly dull. I think my dad would watch it and it was excruciating but I love it so much now especially as a home owner. Their advice is solid and their tradesmen are the real deal. It's been around so long that they've got a lot of material and thankfully they've embraced YouTube.

PainterofCrap posted:

It has always been thus.

Excellent prep work! You spraying?

No matter how you’re doing it- if you can, apply 3-topcoats; it should last at least 20-years.

Nice fuckin’ job by you! And a gorgeous home.

Thanks! I chose to spray. I thought spraying would look better and maybe go quicker. When you factor in setting up the sprayer, adjusting settings, masking everything, moving the sprayer and paint around the house, then cleaning up and flushing the sprayer/parts, I think I could've rolled and brushed it quicker. I'm planning to back roll at least the first paint coat. I bought enough paint theoretically for two coats. I figured it was already painted, so one coat of primer and two of self priming paint should do the trick but we'll see. I guessed too short on primer. I bought and used 5 gallons and still have one long side of the house to get which probably needs another 2. I really hope the 10 gallons of paint is enough for two full coats and 2 gallons for the beams and trim.

Verman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 22, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/c/HouseImprovements

gonna go ahead and guess this guy's canadian lol

edit: drain cover is in, that's a wrap! they gave me a tool to remove it monthly and take out the little strainer that traps all the gross stuff

edit2: i was thinking there's no way that's the chrome one, gotta be brushed stainless steel, they confirmed they made a mistake so I guess it's not over :p

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 22, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

At least in the 'poor city drainage and that all full of live oak leaves' gulf coast swamp I grew up in, digging out the city storm sewer at our curb that our drainage pipes ran into with my dad was a yearly ritual.

Yeah I tried this but after two hours digging with a spade and like 3 wheelbarrows full I maybe got it about 1/3 of the way cleaned.

BigFactory posted:

Get a catch basin silt sack like one of these: https://www.ensafeco.com/stormwater-management/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl4DNpeLa-QIV8waICR1JgwgAEAAYAiAAEgKXVfD_BwE

A landscaping supply store should sell them if you want to buy local. You have to clean them out periodically and they can get heavy if you wait too long. You could also install a filter sock around the perimeter of the catch basin. I would say do that in addition to the bag filter instead of in place of it.

Thanks!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Verman posted:

About a month of prep work and it's finally time to paint. . . .

Home Zone: Whatever the price next time, it's worth it for someone else to do it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cyrano4747 posted:

Home Zone: Whatever the price next time, it's worth it for someone else to do it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Deviant posted:

If 'that same point' is when the bottom edge of the door is passing the sensors, then (in addition to what has already been posted re: mechanical issues) you may have leaf matter/cobwebs/both hitting the beam.

I have had his happen numerous times, and in some cases I've examined the door edges/bottom & seen nothing but still had to run my hands along the edges (and sometimes around the beam units) before it'll shut completely.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 23, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My house is 12 years old and I recently had to clean/"polish" the tracks with a rag soaked in turps.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

It was the chain. it was dragging against the carriage thing and causing a tension reverse.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
This is a very broad question, but I'm fine with broad (or not) answers.

We're looking at paying someone to do our first big project since buying our first house. We have a side yard off the dining room/kitchen that we'd like to turn into a patio/grass area. Currently it is wood chips, some plants, and a nice little tree (which will stay), but not much fun for a kid to run around on. Size is roughly 39' x 17', and I'm imagining it being half pavers and half grass (pavers by the half near the house exit, changing to grass farther down). The broad idea is an area for a kid to play and kick a ball around, since most of the rest of our yard is sloped and has lots of plants/trees.

I'm kind of overwhelmed on where to begin. I only have the vague concept stated above for what we'd like, but I'm not much of a designer. Browsing pictures of patios online gets my some ideas, but mostly they are palatial expensive looking things far beyond our needs.

I have googled some nearby companies that seem to have good reviews. I suppose the next step is contacting a handful of those and getting quotes? Thankfully we're not in a hurry, we'd just like this done by next spring/summer if possible.

Any tips or advice on hiring a company for a project like this? We're not even quite sure what to look for, ask, consider, etc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

incogneato posted:

This is a very broad question, but I'm fine with broad (or not) answers.

We're looking at paying someone to do our first big project since buying our first house. We have a side yard off the dining room/kitchen that we'd like to turn into a patio/grass area. Currently it is wood chips, some plants, and a nice little tree (which will stay), but not much fun for a kid to run around on. Size is roughly 39' x 17', and I'm imagining it being half pavers and half grass (pavers by the half near the house exit, changing to grass farther down). The broad idea is an area for a kid to play and kick a ball around, since most of the rest of our yard is sloped and has lots of plants/trees.

I'm kind of overwhelmed on where to begin. I only have the vague concept stated above for what we'd like, but I'm not much of a designer. Browsing pictures of patios online gets my some ideas, but mostly they are palatial expensive looking things far beyond our needs.

I have googled some nearby companies that seem to have good reviews. I suppose the next step is contacting a handful of those and getting quotes? Thankfully we're not in a hurry, we'd just like this done by next spring/summer if possible.

Any tips or advice on hiring a company for a project like this? We're not even quite sure what to look for, ask, consider, etc.

I would talk to a landscaper before looking at contractors. Do any of your neighbors use a landscaper for mowing or anything?

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

[Tiling my kitchen]

Broke three tiles pulling the fridge out. Replaced them and finished the entire job including grout. All that's left is getting the fridge back in.
I'm trying to figure out if a dolly with aired tires would suffice or If I should find another strong human and buy this 'forearm forklift':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzpltm1JUI

red: tile leveling system plastic. I think if I wait enough days the mortar will set fully. When I pulled the broken tiles I was surprised to find the mortar still thin enough to scrape off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Chunjee posted:

[Tiling my kitchen]

Broke three tiles pulling the fridge out. Replaced them and finished the entire job including grout. All that's left is getting the fridge back in.
I'm trying to figure out if a dolly with aired tires would suffice or If I should find another strong human and buy this 'forearm forklift':

red: tile leveling system plastic. I think if I wait enough days the mortar will set fully. When I pulled the broken tiles I was surprised to find the mortar still thin enough to scrape off.

Whatever your do, get a couple sheets of lauan and roll the refrigerator over that, it helps distribute the force.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chunjee posted:

[Tiling my kitchen]

I have those straps and have used them, and they work fine for that purpose. When I had a fridge delivered, the guys used a shoulder harnessed version of the same thing to carry it.

Something is going very wrong with the tiling if the weight of an appliance is causing it to crack. I suspect you're not getting sufficient bonding with the thinset. I bet that your subfloor is not perfectly level (they never are) and the amount of thinset that is giving you a good bond on one of the higher spots is not enough thinset to get a good bond when you're in a low spot.

Knock on a tile. If it sounds hollow, that's a thinset problem. Happens when it is applied too wet or too dry and also when there's not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I bought a used dishwasher, it has a standard 3-pronged electrical plug. My dishwasher hole only has a bare wire, so I guess I need to add an outlet at the end of it. I have no trouble buying an outlet from a hardware store and doing it myself, but is there any issue doing so? Is this the kind of work that'll void my insurance if not done by an electrician?