Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TV Zombie posted:

What’s the name of the podcast so we can listen to previous works?

Blowback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/1540024316607307776?s=20&t=zxFRlex2qggHOb5VDGPeyw

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Blowback is really good.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Anyone familiar with this podcast? Yay/Nay?

https://literatureandhistory.com/

quote:

Thanks for visiting Literature and History, a podcast covering Anglophone literature and its roots, from ancient times to the present! Each episode covers an influential work of world literature, featuring summaries of the texts, historical analysis of the cultures that produced them, and some original music and goofiness thrown in to keep you entertained.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

RandolphCarter posted:

The lack of folders/categories in Overcast is a giant bummer.

Pocket Casts just released an update that added folders. Not sure if they'll do what you're hoping but I immediately thought of this thread when I saw the update.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Azathoth posted:

Blowback is really good.

Seconding this assessment. It's really very entertaining and I have enjoyed it a bunch

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Not American, but this podcast about a Residential School in Canada is full of hosed up poo poo that happened to Indigenous children.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/kuper-island/id1623248767

important bit of additional information. Nobody should make the mistake of thinking these horrors were confined to the 60s and 70s. The last residential school closed in the 1990's.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RandolphCarter posted:

No, that’s pretty helpful. I’m just being grumpy about change.

I don't blame you, podcasts players are a mega personal thing I've learned over the years. Believe it or not you could have done all of this stuff by syncing over a smart itunes playlist over to the stock podcast app like 8 years ago but someone had a different vision I guess.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It seems that it's driven by how major podcast players lack really basic and what appear on the surface to be easily implemented functions. Just basic poo poo like "folders" not being present until very recently is a good example, or how Spotify lacked any way to notify someone about a new episode in a podcast until recently, etc.

Like, I've gotten very used to Podcast Addict where I can set it up to automatically check for new episodes and download them before I wake up, so I don't have to think about prepping anything for my commute. I can just fire up the app once I'm in my car and boom content. If another app didn't have that stuff specifically I could never switch, but at the same time I can understand how that isn't something that most, or even many, people would need when picking out a podcast app.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

All I want is more slow speed options than a ridiculous 50%. Overcast has eight stages of faster speed but only one slower and it sounds like poo poo :argh:

People are trying to take naps to podcasts here, wtf. We’re not all racing to hear every episode of everything

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Podcast Addict can go down to 0.4x speed in 0.1x increments.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

YggiDee posted:

Podcast Addict can go down to 0.4x speed in 0.1x increments.

Ooh interesting, thanks. I haven’t tried that one yet

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowy posted:

Ooh interesting, thanks. I haven’t tried that one yet

It's Android only, and I'm assuming you have an iPhone since you're using Overcast

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

101 posted:

It's Android only, and I'm assuming you have an iPhone since you're using Overcast

:( well yeah

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Listened to the first episode of season 3 of Blowback and I am kinda blown away of its portrayal of Kim IL Sung and General MacArthur in that I didn’t know they were like that.

Is the third season only accessible through signing up on their website or will it eventually be free once the season is over?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

TV Zombie posted:

Listened to the first episode of season 3 of Blowback and I am kinda blown away of its portrayal of Kim IL Sung and General MacArthur in that I didn’t know they were like that.

Is the third season only accessible through signing up on their website or will it eventually be free once the season is over?

I’m a few episodes in to season 1 and loving it! Thanks for the recommendation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
They'll release them all yea, paying gets you everything at once and bonus episodes like interviews and all

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Just started Blowback and am enjoying it, thanks for recommending. Was not expecting Bob Belcher as Saddam to kick things off. Had a chuckle with how the podcast jams in ads with no breaks so an explanation of Qusay Hussein's crimes was interrupted by an ad mid-sentence.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Had a chuckle with how the podcast jams in ads with no breaks so an explanation of Qusay Hussein's crimes was interrupted by an ad mid-sentence.

Is it one of those dynamically inserted deals, or is it planned like that?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

"...and that's when they waterboarding started. Speaking of waterboarding, hydration is important to your health and that's why we support VitaMix the only electrolyte packet guaranteed to keep you hydrated at work, on the go, wherever you go, bring a pack of VitaMix! You know who could have used some VitaMix? Muammar Gaddafi. Sources say that while he was being chased by rebels, a leg cramp..."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

101 posted:

Is it one of those dynamically inserted deals, or is it planned like that?

definitely dynamically inserted. tiny quibble, show is great and that hasn't happened so far in the next episode, might have just been a hiccup with their first ep

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Azathoth posted:

"...and that's when they waterboarding started. Speaking of waterboarding, hydration is important to your health and that's why we support VitaMix the only electrolyte packet guaranteed to keep you hydrated at work, on the go, wherever you go, bring a pack of VitaMix! You know who could have used some VitaMix? Muammar Gaddafi. Sources say that while he was being chased by rebels, a leg cramp..."

Haha yeah that would be way worse.

The ads are dynamic for sure as I get ads for the company I work for who is not US based. Also our customers would not be listening to Blowback…

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I have always been fond of gunfondler42069's ad transitions just giving no shits " you know who probably won't set a new high bar for awful behavior, like the topic of our show? The products and services that pay for us! Ads!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/e1podcast/status/1557805804090269698?s=21&t=UJ-Ed_pQQ8XQWeYHabO8kw

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Podcaster Shall Off Me?!?
I knew those guys were up to no good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is going to be amazing

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/status/1559950089040396288?s=20&t=LVM9LUjAT9J4ySffig3kHQ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I can't wait for James to put his hands in his pockets and walk away after shooting a man and burning him like a dog on the street

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Any of you guys listening to car podcasts? I've subbed to Past Gas and Highside/Lowside (about bikes but whatever), and am looking for more.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Does anyone know what happened to Adventure They Wrote? I assume it’s dead since it hasn’t updated in a year and a half, but I can’t find any statement whatsoever about it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

busalover posted:

Any of you guys listening to car podcasts? I've subbed to Past Gas and Highside/Lowside (about bikes but whatever), and am looking for more.

I didn't have much success when I looked. CarStuff had its moments but it's been dead since 2020.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

busalover posted:

I just checked and Regular Car Reviews has a podcast. Never listened but their YouTube channel is great.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Good pods about music/music history? I listen to (some) Song Exploder already. I'm interested in the context of bands, scenes, genres, etc.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Dissect will go deep into albums.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The ongoing history of new music is a radio show that has been going strong for decades which mostly explores bands and genres.

Right now they're doing a 15 part series on the origins of alt rock. Some other recent shows have been things like the history of female rock drummers, or the history of vinyl recording.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Okua posted:

Good pods about music/music history? I listen to (some) Song Exploder already. I'm interested in the context of bands, scenes, genres, etc.

And Introducing is exactly this.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I did a bit of researching re: car podcasts, and Chris Harris has his own podcast called Collecting Cars, but the latest episode was earlier this year, as was his latest tweet, so I'm guessing he's on an Internet break. But the couple episodes on there are good, interview with the head of F1 Williams, dude designed BMW M's as well as other production sports cars, not bad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

evilpicard posted:

The ongoing history of new music is a radio show that has been going strong for decades which mostly explores bands and genres.

Right now they're doing a 15 part series on the origins of alt rock. Some other recent shows have been things like the history of female rock drummers, or the history of vinyl recording.

Seconding Ongoing History. It's excellent. Also 60 Songs that Explain the 90s (which is on its 70 something song) is excellent and the host is a great story teller if you like a lot of rambling.
Broken Record (not the Rick Rubin podcast but the one by two Englishmen who host the Riot Act podcast) is a fun podcast where they try find the worst album ever made

I am interested in finding a true crime podcast but I don't want to grisly murders. Are there any good podcasts that cover quirky weird true crime?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

secretly best girl posted:

I was hesitant to self-plug, but since nobody else is responding, I'm one of the hosts on an anime podcast that, until this last season, had at least one host ignorant of the series until we watched it at all times. We covered Eva, Ideon, Cyborg 009, and Monster all with 1-2 hosts unaware and usually me as the only pre-aware person. It's called Boku no Stop and we're about to go from Flip Flappers (a non-standard yuri anime with excellent animation) to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and I believe my cohost hasn't watched in full. I know he hasn't seen the OVAs.

Sorry, a little late to respond but thanks for the rec! No offense, you guys take a bit to get a good rapport imo but after a while it's real good!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
We are in a real weird period right now because Chris bounced to do other shows after getting real mad over and over so we're slotting in alternate thirds. I think the cohost we have on Fujiko Mine is gonna last for a bit, he's more chill but also comes from a different sphere of weeb than the other two of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

secretly best girl posted:

We are in a real weird period right now because Chris bounced to do other shows after getting real mad over and over so we're slotting in alternate thirds. I think the cohost we have on Fujiko Mine is gonna last for a bit, he's more chill but also comes from a different sphere of weeb than the other two of us.

Sorry to pry, but is Chris leaving all the shows or just Boku no Stop?