Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

and then Deku's dick will pop out and everyone will point and laugh

Final panel is Kota punching him in the dick one last time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Anyways I fully believe Shiragaki will overthrow AFO's control at the cost of his life thanks to Deku's speech, and then Shiragaki will develop a time travel quirk but be unable to use it because he's dying, so he'll teach it to Deku (who can learn it because he has OFA), and Deku will use the quirk to travel back in time and punch AFO and Shiragaki, undoing the deaths of Bakugo + all the other supporting cast and instantly defeating the main villains.

Hmmmm :thunk:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

Remembering when Bakugo was a tactical genius who had incredible awareness of his surroundings and in the last fight he just had guns that shot more explosions and now the two major villains and the main character all have a dozen different quirks each that are ill defined enough they could do absolutely anything and it's the least creative fighting in the series so far

The weird thing is that Bakugo's tactical awareness was just emphasized last chapter... and then he apparently died without accomplishing anything.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

He was going too fast I guess

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like at this point I can only look back and see something like this in my mind:

"This is the story of how I become the greatest hero."

*story proceeds*

Actually he seems like kind of a lovely hero. All Might was way better.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

He was going too fast I guess

gotta go fast

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

y'know, at first look here, "haha brother, I instantly mastered your special technique due to my long training and exceptional skill" is somehow way lamer than the "completely unexplained phoenix quirk" idea that was floated

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mulva posted:

Actually he seems like kind of a lovely hero. All Might was way better.

I liked his character arc before he got vestigial Quirks, but that might just be because of the quality nosedive around then. That was the Joint Training arc after all.

I was interested again during the vigilante Deku arc but that didn't really go anywhere. Great for Bakugo's arc but well

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Maybe pinning all our hopes on one single figure to solve all our problems is a bad thing, and we should all take responsibility and stand up as a group."

*society collapses*

"Actually maybe we are all poo poo and things were better when All Might was around.".

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Mulva posted:

"Maybe pinning all our hopes on one single figure to solve all our problems is a bad thing, and we should all take responsibility and stand up as a group."

*society collapses*

"Actually maybe we are all poo poo and things were better when All Might was around.".

"Society is filled with fake heroes, and we want to purge all the selfish people who pretend to care about others."

*countless heroes being slaughtered while they fight to protect innocents*

"Ah, well. Nevertheless. We still want to rule over society. For reasons."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Woozie66 posted:

"Society is filled with fake heroes, and we want to purge all the selfish people who pretend to care about others."

To be honest, that's very realistic

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mulva posted:

*society collapses*

"Pinning all of our hopes on one superpowered demigod to solve all of our problems was hosed up and wrong, we should be working together to fill All Might's shoes."

*multiple villains appear that are individually more powerful than the combined efforts of an entire army of heroes coordinating together with time to prep the terrain*

"I sure hope our superpowered demigod shows up soon."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The fight continues to escalate till Shigaraki becomes a Demon Lord and the Goddess must intervene to create a sword that humanity can wield that can strike him down.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Palutena will send Pit to come flying and bumbling in to accidentally save the day

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kanos posted:

"Pinning all of our hopes on one superpowered demigod to solve all of our problems was hosed up and wrong, we should be working together to fill All Might's shoes."

*multiple villains appear that are individually more powerful than the combined efforts of an entire army of heroes coordinating together with time to prep the terrain*

They're kind of at the point where I think they would have had a good shot at beating All Might in his prime and certainly once he was failing, although presumably All Might would have found something. Given that Bakugo went beyond his limits and, well, you know, it seems that what would be internally consistent is for Deku to show up and fail and everyone to either die or flee, ending the manga with villainy triumphant.

There is yet time to pull the twist of course, but if it is JUST "and then Deku punched **REALLY** fuckin hard", well, failure at the finish line isn't unique.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nessus posted:

They're kind of at the point where I think they would have had a good shot at beating All Might in his prime and certainly once he was failing, although presumably All Might would have found something. Given that Bakugo went beyond his limits and, well, you know, it seems that what would be internally consistent is for Deku to show up and fail and everyone to either die or flee, ending the manga with villainy triumphant.

There is yet time to pull the twist of course, but if it is JUST "and then Deku punched **REALLY** fuckin hard", well, failure at the finish line isn't unique.

Ah, but you see, Deku doesn't have to just punch really hard to win, because he has a secret deus ex machina power that has been foreshadowed as a "break glass in case everything is hosed" power but otherwise not elaborated on.

There's a 0% chance of "and then the villains won" because the manga's storytelling conceit is that it's being told in the past tense by Deku - hence the "and that's how i became the greatest hero" opener - because presumably in a setting where the villains won Deku would be too dead to tell that story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Woozie66 posted:

The war made most of the fake heroes quit, which is a success but leave the good ones which you uh- also kill. But that was Stain's goal, not AFO or Tomura's which were "Take over and be a demon lord" and "Destroy all heroes, period".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Literally, during the USJ attack, they try to pull the "Well hero society is corrupt and" and when Aizawa/All Might shut it down they just go "Yeah it's an excuse to fuckin' do it." They don't even bother denying it. The villains don't have high-minded ideals, they're just assholes in it for power or destruction at the top, using people at the bottom who may have legitimate grievances but they don't care about because they're tools. AFO's big way of manipulating people in his reign of terror was to make them think he was their friend, by helping them and giving them what they wanted. He didn't actually care, he was using them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onmi posted:

Literally, during the USJ attack, they try to pull the "Well hero society is corrupt and" and when Aizawa/All Might shut it down they just go "Yeah it's an excuse to fuckin' do it." They don't even bother denying it. The villains don't have high-minded ideals, they're just assholes in it for power or destruction at the top, using people at the bottom who may have legitimate grievances but they don't care about because they're tools. AFO's big way of manipulating people in his reign of terror was to make them think he was their friend, by helping them and giving them what they wanted. He didn't actually care, he was using them.

Pretty much yeah, Shigaraki is just hurting people to hurt people during USJ. Stain truly wants to fix hero society, but Shigaraki mostly learnt to care about his friends whilst wanting to still destroy absolutely everything.

He's got a shonen protagonist-esque journey, just applied to a villainous motivation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm not actually convinced Shigaraki actually learned to care about his friends, at least not in a way that the story seems to give a gently caress about. He had My Villain Academia and the brief period where he was using his influence with the Re-Destro cultists to give them positions of authority and sushi meals as his "wow, Shigaraki learned friendship, how nice" bits, but everything since has had him completely neglect them and not really give a gently caress about what happened to them. When Mirio roasted him for not having any friends, Shigaraki's response was to reference the dog he accidentally killed as a child instead of his much more recent friends who helped him through the low point of his villain career, two of which effectively sacrificed their lives for his current cause(Twice dying and Compress compressing his own rear end).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, the whole "All for One is body snatching me" thing happened during both of said sacrifices and it's not even clear if he's been brought up to date on them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

To be fair, the whole "All for One is body snatching me" thing happened during both of said sacrifices and it's not even clear if he's been brought up to date on them.

Also AfO is still influencing him at times and absolutely does not care about anyone but himself.

I will concede Shigaraki may not have actually learnt the power of friendship, but that he's not currently aware of it doesn't mean he didn't learn it then.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kanos posted:

I'm not actually convinced Shigaraki actually learned to care about his friends, at least not in a way that the story seems to give a gently caress about.

He didn't.

Just like AfO never intended to actually make him a successor. I'm still not sure how anyone got convinced of either of those things.

After Stain, Shigaraki practically looks at the audience and says, "I will manipulate and use these idiots to eventually destroy the world"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheKingslayer posted:

He didn't.

Just like AfO never intended to actually make him a successor. I'm still not sure how anyone got convinced of either of those things.

After Stain, Shigaraki practically looks at the audience and says, "I will manipulate and use these idiots to eventually destroy the world"

And later on directly states that the loss of Magne was worth more than the loss the Mafia had of their followers, and in general past that point grows to actually like the rest of the villains on screen. Almost like he's having a character arc and growth or something.

I'd also like an actual example of him doing that, because I was trying for a while today to find proof either way, and ultimately Shigaraki outright says "I will make exceptions for my friends" after a bunch of emotionally charged stuff.

Yes, he might have been faking it the entire time, but faked character growth is a really boring idea.

I was never convinced of AfO intending him to be a successor, because AfO is a lovely selfish person to the bone and obviously so. He plays up the "mentor" thing because he knows how stories work and how people thing. But Shigaraki seems to on screen develop over time from indifference to care for his allies, trusting them and accepting them.

Edit: It's the entire point of his victory over Chisaki. Chisaki treats all his followers as tools, bullets in his gun, they do what he says when he says it or he discards them. Shigaraki specifically trusts Twice and Toga to do what he wants without having to tell them to do it (which gets them past the lie detection/truth-telling quirk).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 22, 2022

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm not convinced Shigaraki trusting Toga and Twice to gently caress things up for Overhaul is a sign of his friendship with them or caring about them in any way. It's really just a sign that he's started paying enough attention to understand them and he knows that they're angry about Magne's death so sending them to work for Overhaul is like letting two pyromaniacs loose in a fireworks factory.

I'd buy the friendship thing more if, as mentioned, Tomura didn't jump to his childhood dog before someone like say, Spinner, who appears to be the only person in the entire manga that genuinely likes Shigaraki as a person.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly after Shigaraki came out of the incubator, I'm not sure anything he has done or said really reflects any of his character development prior. We don't know if it's him, OFA, or his subconscious child self that's doing or saying whatever.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
What's important is that Shigaraki being a villainous shonen protagonist was so much more fun than AfO-Shigaraki's total absence of character motivation and total lack of personal philosophy for the heroes to refute. Like, I think this is genuinely a change in direction for Shigaraki, not a coherent throughline of motives/arcs — partly driven by Horikoshi... really, really wanting to be done with this series, and not having the time or energy or editorial leeway to make him a real character any more.

Like, it's shonen, fights as clashes of ideology are the bread and butter of this genre, but AfO-Shiggy doesn't really have any kind of coherent motivation besides "gently caress YOUUUU [plays ten counterspells, no-sells everything]" and it's a lot more tiresome than Shigaraki's "I care about the people who no one wanted to save, just like me, and I'm going to destroy the world that drove them down this path and blamed them for it," which Deku/the heroes could actually engage with.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Fabricated posted:

The war made most of the fake heroes quit, which is a success but leave the good ones which you uh- also kill. But that was Stain's goal, not AFO or Tomura's which were "Take over and be a demon lord" and "Destroy all heroes, period".

Oh absolutely. I just meant that Stain was used to create the first rallying cry for the villains. Hell, a couple of the current active villains were pulled in because of Stain. Which, also, wasn't even part of AFOs plan. Stain just did that.

And then those inspired villains have just completely given up on that ideal. Including the one who literally cosplayed as Stain.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AFO is basically eating away at Tomura and all that's left is Tenko is the way I took it. AFO possesses Tomura's memories, Tenko has their own. They're two discrete entities now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Poltergrift posted:

What's important is that Shigaraki being a villainous shonen protagonist was so much more fun than AfO-Shigaraki's total absence of character motivation and total lack of personal philosophy for the heroes to refute. Like, I think this is genuinely a change in direction for Shigaraki, not a coherent throughline of motives/arcs — partly driven by Horikoshi... really, really wanting to be done with this series, and not having the time or energy or editorial leeway to make him a real character any more.

Like, it's shonen, fights as clashes of ideology are the bread and butter of this genre, but AfO-Shiggy doesn't really have any kind of coherent motivation besides "gently caress YOUUUU [plays ten counterspells, no-sells everything]" and it's a lot more tiresome than Shigaraki's "I care about the people who no one wanted to save, just like me, and I'm going to destroy the world that drove them down this path and blamed them for it," which Deku/the heroes could actually engage with.

Similarly Compress had this whole backstory written out where he was the son of this famous thief/villain. He reveals it then compresses his own rear end out of the story immediately. Twice also had his big moment and then was disgarded with little layoff. Like for whatever reason Horikoshi clearly wants this over and speed running the plot points he's had laid out long ago. It's weird to me that people are still really invested in it when the author's lack of real interest is oozing from the pages.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

On the subject of "author's done with this poo poo" I really like how a chapter ends revealing there really was a traitor, and then next chapter Deku is strolling through the woods at just the right time to overhear Aoyamas parents yelling about him being the traitor.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if we're going to cut to Aoyama's fight at some point, because it seemed like that might be the case. But that was also so many chapters ago that I don't even remember when it was.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The bizarre thing about how this comic is blasting through every bullet point is that these bullet points are happening. Like the traitor thing was basically forgotten about but he felt the need to resolve it. Similarly Compress's meaningless backstory. I'm guessing Bakugo's sacrifice was also supposed to be more of a moment instead of "oops exploding my heart was a bad idea" but everything is super rushed and rather than alter stuff or just exclude it entirely it's all getting thrown in and moved past before it can have any actually emotional impact. It's really the worst of both words.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think it's a little less Hori being sick of the manga and a little bit more him going "Holy god I'm going to be writing this for another 8 years" and trying to wrap everything up but without arbitrarily cutting out plot beats from the story. Obviously the execution is lacking.

If he does another manga I imagine it'll be a lot more focused and constrained.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TheKingslayer posted:

He didn't.

People thought AFO really wanted Shiggy top be his successor because of his internal monologue at the end of Kamino. Plus it would have been much more interesting, so most people didn't really question if Hori was going to later reveal it was bullshit and make AFO far more boring than before.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Perhaps this is unreasonably conspiratorial of me but it honestly feels like hori had much more interesting ideas he wanted to explore and someone from editorial stopped in to tell him hey there bucko, you should tamp down that lightweight ideological questioning, we don’t want the 12 year olds in the audience to get any ideas here

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AFO was cool as this dark father figure that warped a kid and made him a super villain half out of wanting an heir to his legacy and half just to screw with his hated enemy on a personal level. The league of villains was fine with the motley crew of criminals and societal outcasts and didn't need him coming back to hands on be an unstoppable threat.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kanos posted:

the real lesson is they should've saved all might for the really big threats instead of exhausting him with petty crimes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Perhaps this is unreasonably conspiratorial of me but it honestly feels like hori had much more interesting ideas he wanted to explore and someone from editorial stopped in to tell him hey there bucko, you should tamp down that lightweight ideological questioning, we don’t want the 12 year olds in the audience to get any ideas here
I have heard this said a bunch of times but it feels really dubious to me, given that One Piece is way more loud and proud about demonstrating "the government loving SUCKS" while also featuring literal criminals as the protagonists, explicitly against the slave-holding tyranny of the World Government. And they run in the same magazine.

What I have heard is that Shonen Jump doesn't want any more ultra-super-long manga series, which seems like a more compelling reason; this policy may be a lot more recent than Horikoshi's story plan was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eggplant Squire posted:

AFO was cool as this dark father figure that warped a kid and made him a super villain half out of wanting an heir to his legacy and half just to screw with his hated enemy on a personal level. The league of villains was fine with the motley crew of criminals and societal outcasts and didn't need him coming back to hands on be an unstoppable threat.

Yeah, It was much more interesting when AfO was seen as this relic of an older world, more or less accepting his defeat until he realizes he has a final chance to deliver a final gently caress you.

If he was actually a sort of twisted selfless mentor to shiggy in the same way All might was to deku hed be much more interesting than discount Madara.

Hell he could taunt all might about being a better mentor

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 22, 2022