Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just noticed this bit of your post clothes dryers are 5% of all us residential energy reminds me I have an American friend who lives in Cairo. Despite the fact you hang your washing out on the balcony and it is bone dry within half an hour, and as little as 10 minutes on the hottest days, she insisted on using a tumble dryer not putting stuff to air dry.

excuse me do you expect me to stand there and clip my clothes myself

wiki posted:

The British Rail Class 322 are electric multiple unit passenger trains which were built by British Rail Engineering Limited in 1990 for the Stansted Express service from London Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport. After becoming surplus to requirements on this route, the fleet saw further use with a number of other operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The worst part of winter is it being too damp and cold to dry outside.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

WhatEvil posted:

So loving glad I got out of the UK. My last place there I had 2 cunts by me, one next door and one directly across the street. Just absolute aggro Tory shitheads. One was a divorced dad and the other I heard him and his wife arguing and just being nasty as gently caress to each other, so at least I can take solace in knowing that they're miserable.

E: Couple on the other side of me were lovely, though.

Where'd you go? And would you say the national character is different/better? Completely subjective of course.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Dehumidifiers are great during winter because they release more heat than they use from all the latent heat of condensation.

Dehumidifiers are poo poo during summer because of the same reason.

I've been using secretive 'big fan' technology to move all the air up the chimney to dry clothes during the heatwave (or even more secretive 'outdoors' technology for big sheets and towels) but it will be back to the dehumidifier for winter.

I'm curious whether those personal heater/coolers that promise some degree of changing body temperature more directly work.

goddamnedtwisto recommended silk biker underglove gloves and I can confirm that they're fine to type in but may make you feel like some kind of regency pervert.

I built an advanced solar powered clothes dryer last week

Too bad about all the rain tho.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol and furthermore lmao

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1561626716333801477?t=0ekUGmciCGbO9fFzhocI9g

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My American partner cannot stand how clothes feel if you dry them in the sun and refers to my clothes rack as the "hell machine" as it is noisy and rattles. She just hates it so much, its honestly bizzare.

Our nearby neigbours are all lovely at least despite living on the estate that is perpetually afraid of "youths". I spent this weekend gardening and just giving away shitloads of produce to anyone that wanted it. Harvested drat near 25kg of rhubarb, apples, herbs, plums, chillis and strawberries, pumpkins, potatoes etc. Had loads of folk coming round to grab things for their elderly relatives or to take to church or just to cook for themselves or friends and honestly it felt really good. Nothing wasted.

Except for the rosemary! I've spent the weekend making rosemary and sage salt, rosemary jelly, rosemary and chilli butter, ice cube trays full of it, air drying bunches of it and i just can't use it all as nobody else seems to want it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mediaphage posted:

the humidity level drops low in cold weather helping moisture either evaporate or sublimate

Which bit of the US were you in? Because this is true of say Michigan because it's all locked up in the snow but v much not guaranteed with UK definitions of cold weather (and humidity).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

My American partner cannot stand how clothes feel if you dry them in the sun and refers to my clothes rack as the "hell machine" as it is noisy and rattles. She just hates it so much, its honestly bizzare.

I am the opposite, I hate dryer clothes, feels like someone else already wore them, like putting on dirty clothes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

It took me like a decade to convert my American missus to the True Path. Now she looks wistfully out at a sunny day and mutters "there's some good drying out there today"

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Mebh posted:

Our nearby neigbours are all lovely at least despite living on the estate that is perpetually afraid of "youths". I spent this weekend gardening and just giving away shitloads of produce to anyone that wanted it. Harvested drat near 25kg of rhubarb, apples, herbs, plums, chillis and strawberries, pumpkins, potatoes etc. Had loads of folk coming round to grab things for their elderly relatives or to take to church or just to cook for themselves or friends and honestly it felt really good. Nothing wasted.

Except for the rosemary! I've spent the weekend making rosemary and sage salt, rosemary jelly, rosemary and chilli butter, ice cube trays full of it, air drying bunches of it and i just can't use it all as nobody else seems to want it.

For me it’s courgettes! Can’t get rid of the bastard things. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peas and beans all gone as soon as I offered them. My pumpkins and gourds are staying on because they’re for carving, not eating.

If you’ve got a greenhouse don’t neglect the use for drying clothes in the winter. Not as good as a windy day outdoors but better than nowt if it’s raining and you’ve not got the heating on. I can get two clothes racks in mine, and string a load of stuff from the grapevine across the top.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

My American partner cannot stand how clothes feel if you dry them in the sun and refers to my clothes rack as the "hell machine"
Look at her, Miller. Isn't she beautiful?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you're self-employed and work from home then if you DON'T have a dedicated workspace then you can claim something towards utilities subject to how many hours of work you do from home (I used to claim £10 per month for 25h + ). If you have a dedicated workspace then you might be in for Business Rates on that part of your home so you need to check the position VERY carefully.
Last year there was a thing where if you employer asked you to WFH even for just 1 single day you could claim tax relief on £300 - which wasn't contrary to popular belief £300 but that tax on that so IIRC it was something like £65 in a year. And of course, if you did not earn enough to pay tax, you couldn't benefit from that at all if your employer asked you to WFH.

You're only liable for business rates if you have customers coming to your home. Having a home office isn't a problem.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's getting even lmaoier

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1561394977833472000

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well they're in a union.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Heat pump dryers are excellent and use very little power.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dunno anything about money but this seems like it's probably bad.

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status/1561643603780321281?t=n2bYf202VypzvCCL8rj2xQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
gently caress me running, that's a lot of dead people, or revolution, or both

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
People just need to graft 18.6% harder.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/crimescript/status/1561639596819087360

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Which bit of the US were you in? Because this is true of say Michigan because it's all locked up in the snow but v much not guaranteed with UK definitions of cold weather (and humidity).

definitely not true of where i was in the south either lol

but looking at some humidity indices for uk winter it probably varies there too

anyway i find it works indoors in the cold even then with some airflow

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 22, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

It'll be fine, Kieth is on the case

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ho lee

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The number is going up though, I though that meant good times.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Judging by the replies, it'll be a lot of dead people whose last words are "well, nothing is stopping you buying shares in those companies" :smuggo:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Judging by the replies, it'll be a lot of dead people whose last words are "well, nothing is stopping you buying shares in those companies" :smuggo:

drat I certainly hope so

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/thejuicemedia/status/1561642666957611009

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I need some advice

I've been renting a flat since last April, and a few months ago started getting letters from some company down south asking for my tenancy details. No chance thought I, and handed the requests and future letters from that company direct to the estate agents for them to handle, including a few asking for rent to be paid to them.

Couple months later and I leave the flat ready for a day of hijinks and there's a court summons on the door - a notice of possession, with a claim of trespass on unknown persons in the flat (they don't have my details). I've handed this over to the estate agents too, but kept a copy because of course I am going to keep a copy.

The landlord has his name on this summons company, which makes me think they've gone behind the estate agents back and changed agencies. I'm in a rolling contract with my current agents who have given me no notice of any changes to my contract. They've said that I don't need to worry about this, to continue just paying the rent to themselves and they're dealing with this issue but hopefully understandably, I'm more than a little anxious.

Does anybody have any idea on action to take? Should I just start looking elsewhere, attend this court date, burn the place down, anything?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bin men status: hard https://twitter.com/conceptKitty/status/1561168054612017155?t=QBZGVNfTmdoCwTHSzuKJ-g&s=19

This guy status: not hardened, should get a refund imo https://twitter.com/nocontextbrits/status/1561635684481392640?s=21&t=6hnUTUqSuRZmdbagLqbRxA

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

lmao this is a dumb way to get it. Just bribe one of the staff to get it from the dispensary. It's cheap to the pharmacy, I bet someone would, we're paid poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HopperUK posted:

lmao this is a dumb way to get it. Just bribe one of the staff to get it from the dispensary. It's cheap to the pharmacy, I bet someone would, we're paid poo poo.

Do you even need a prescription for dick pills now?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you even need a prescription for dick pills now?

Nah but they're a tenner a box or so, bit spendy for some. And you have to answer some questions from the pharmacist to make sure you don't die and some people are very, very pissy about that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HopperUK posted:

Nah but they're a tenner a box or so, bit spendy for some. And you have to answer some questions from the pharmacist to make sure you don't die and some people are very, very pissy about that.

So you're saying you could bribe a pharmacist less than a tenner for some boner pills? Interesting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They should get their prostate checked before going on ED pills in that case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol I do like Juice Media, and her Brit accent is pretty good but you can hear the Aussie creep in, particularly when she says dickheads.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

They should get their prostate checked before going on ED pills in that case.

:golfclap:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

:tif:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I remember ages ago talking to my brother about how older people were afraid of voting for Corbyn because "when people like him get in, inflation goes up and that's when people end up losing their houses," and that rattles round my head a lot nowadays.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like ransomware group hacked one of the water companies https://twitter.com/malwrhunterteam/status/1559244860636413952

says Thames Water here but later in the thread notices the names match Staffordshire Water who did recently report a cyberattack https://twitter.com/malwrhunterteam/status/1559265895419199497

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hacked by bronies

how humiliating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

hacked by bronies
The underground wing of led by donkeys