Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

You should only get an MBA if somebody else pays for it.

Had an engineer friend who had a big company pay for his MBA. The end result was that he moved into management, hated it and ended up quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Guest2553 posted:

If nothing else, the WSB crowd is democratizing the ability to pump and dump without needing to be an established parasite, soooo....progress?

The problem is they haven't figured out the dump part yet.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Dont worry, they've got a crack team on it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

If you are still holding when the price falls then you by definition were not participating in the pump.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

njsykora posted:

Rule #1 of a pump n' dump is "dont get high on your own supply"

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

drk posted:

Dont worry, they've got a crack team on it

Before you read it, just know the conclusion is that BBBY is selling their baby clothes line to Gamestop which will make them both rich.

I wish I was kidding.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ranbo das posted:

Before you read it, just know the conclusion is that BBBY is selling their baby clothes line to Gamestop which will make them both rich.

I wish I was kidding.

Ah yes GameStop. The first choice of new parents buying onesies.

I mean honestly why not it’s not like anyone sane buys games there anymore. At this point It’s basically just a hot topic that also has some overpriced used games.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ah yes GameStop. The first choice of new parents buying onesies.

I mean honestly why not it’s not like anyone sane buys games there anymore. At this point It’s basically just a hot topic that also has some overpriced used games.

They are just securing the pipeline from infant to teens. Once those moon he will buy Target and Amazon to secure the adult market! Truly 5D chess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What even is the expected value of an MBA these days.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Barudak posted:

To the person getting the degree of the school selling it? Because it’s worth a pretty penny to the schools.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Barudak posted:

It’s a fig-leaf for nepotism if your dad pays for it, a career defining promotion if your company pays for it, or the mark of a sucker if you pay for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on what I spotted the average MBA salary is ~100k, so Im going with the MBA is worth gently caress all unless its a top 15 program which youd also only get into if you were the right sort of bastard to get paid more anyway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wish to issue a general request for bwm stories pertaining to warhammer 40k, or 'plastic crack'. the figurines get into the low 4 figures, the hobby is filled with young men, there's some fuckin bwm stories

https://twitter.com/HazelMonforton/status/1561232479368912896

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i wish to issue a general request for bwm stories pertaining to warhammer 40k, or 'plastic crack'. the figurines get into the low 4 figures, the hobby is filled with young men, there's some fuckin bwm stories

Seconded. I would have guessed 3d printers would ruin the value.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

honda whisperer posted:

Much like diamonds or those $500 basic white t-shirts with a brand name, the meaningless excess is the point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

They're just now getting to the point where they don't look like rear end compared to injection molded or cast figures and many people don't want to take on an auxiliary hobby to support another hobby. Sometime before I die I expect that they'll pivot to providing shape files to print yourself locally but that will require additive manufacturing to penetrate society to the point where you can go to any wal-mart and upload a file to their 3-d print shop for $5 + materials.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'd imagine that official tournaments would only allow the real deal too, of course.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

brugroffil posted:

I'd imagine that official tournaments would only allow the real deal too, of course.

GW in particular is notorious for only allowing their product in their stores and official events. They can go gently caress off for a variety of reasons best explored in the Trad Games forum though.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Barudak posted:

For some highly specific industries/companies in the US it's a gatekeepery thing, so if you are dying to work in investment banking or for McKinsey and somehow hosed up your undergrad recruiting then it's the only way to get a second chance into those companies. You have to get into one of the highly ranked MBAs though. The business case for that is pretty good if you succeed in getting one of those jobs (about 250k post MBA salary makes the 150k of MBA debt somewhat acceptable).

Of course this highly specific use case creates a big halo effect and all kinds of other people go and get worthless MBAs and stupid levels of debt.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

As someone in a top 10 MBA program currently they collect all sorts of data on grads and the only people I've seen who have graduated and were making less than $150k starting were doing either charity or government work.

It's basically just nepotism but monetized.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

An affable coworker was uncharacteristically upset when GW released a new version that meant his current army was no longer competitive and he’d have to spent hundreds on new models to be able to play at the same level he’d been at. He threw in the towel which was likely GWL as he has since gotten married and had a baby.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Midjack posted:

GW in particular is notorious for only allowing their product in their stores and official events. They can go gently caress off for a variety of reasons best explored in the Trad Games forum though.

That's what I was guessing + having a magic card with black lotus printed on it would cause nerd mockery.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

An affable coworker was uncharacteristically upset when GW released a new version that meant his current army was no longer competitive and he’d have to spent hundreds on new models to be able to play at the same level he’d been at. He threw in the towel which was likely GWL as he has since gotten married and had a baby.

And full circle.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/AmosPosner/status/1552096078308249601

World's Most Beautiful - Did Horses Write This?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
No, it was Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ranbo das posted:

As someone in a top 10 MBA program currently they collect all sorts of data on grads and the only people I've seen who have graduated and were making less than $150k starting were doing either charity or government work.

It's basically just nepotism but monetized.
I am very skeptical of: the schools reporting accurately, the recent grads accurately reporting their salaries, and any number that comes from someone with an MBA.

Also, referencing the salaries of top 10 MBA program grads in the discussion of the value of an MBA is the wrong thing to discuss. Those students are overwhelmingly more likely to be privileged to begin with.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 22, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The only people I see with MBA in their email signature are one-up-from-entry level clinical research associates who obviously believe the sales pitch from the business schools. Total waste of money for them.

I doubt there's any seniority level in pharma where a MBA makes sense. Looking at the C-levels for my company only the CFO has a MBA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

quote:

The feral worlder led the Sisters into the temple. Sister Superior Helena was relieved to see it was in relatively good condition- however backwards this planet might be, at least it had kept up its worship. Admirable, really, in a world that had not been contacted by the Imperium since the Salamanders had made a stop shortly after the Horus Heresy. Whatever her thoughts on the Astartes, they'd at least managed to impress these savages with the creed.

"Here," the feral worlder said, pointing at a series of crude paintings inside the temple. Or perhaps crude was the wrong word- primitive, yes, but obvious effort had been put into them. They would not compare with the stained glass or sacred paintings of an Imperial convent, but their bright colors and symbols were certainly eye-catching.

"Tells all the story. Known it since I was a babe." The feral worlder seemed proud, or else simply eager for the approval of the strange women with fire-spitting wands.

"Tell us, then," prompted Sister Helena. The feral worlder nodded, grinning, and pointed to the largest picture. It showed a man dressed in animal hides made of gold, sitting upon a chair that towered over a tiny village painted in the background.

"Emp-Rar," she explained.

"Emp-Rar?"

"King Emp-Rar, of the village Terra. Powerful magician, made himself god."

"Magician?" explained Sister Isabella, her face contorted with fury. "That's heres-"

Sister Helena cut her off with a look. She might normally have agreed with Isabella's assessment, but the feral worlder hadn't seemed to mean anything chaos-related by the word. Besides, until their rescue ship arrived, they were stuck on this barbaric little rock and would have to save their ammunition for true emergencies.

"Go on."

The feral worlder pointed to another picture.

"Betrayed by his son, the Horse."

The Sisters looked at the picture, which indeed showed a very evil looking horse. Trying not to laugh, they silently noted that it did have lots of spiky bits painted on it.

"Other sons fight the Horse, even though-" her voice dropped to a frightened hush- "the Gill Man came to take away their manhood with the Coat of Stars!"

Any confusion on the part of the Sisters was answered by the painting of the Gill Man, a large, scaly monster dressed in a starry coat with scissors on the end. Or rather, it was answered by the fact that the scales on his chest were blue and displayed the Ultramarines symbol.

"Yes," whispered Sister Rosalind, "this story was definitely told by the Salamanders."

The feral worlder moved on to the next series of paintings, each with a symbol that suggested a different Primarch.

"The Great Green One," she said reverently. "Knew the secrets of Fire and Steel. Refused to let the Gill-Man take his manhood."

Sister Rosalind suppressed a giggle, deciding that the next time she saw the Salamanders she would call them Great Green Ones. They'd kill her for it, but it would be worth it.

"The Angel," came the feral worlder's voice, pointing at the next painting. "Emp-Rar's beautiful daughter." Indeed, the golden-haired woman in the painting was remarkably beautiful, her body barely covered by a sheer piece of cloth, her blue eyes large and sad as she wept tears of blood.

"Was there a female Primarch?" Sister Ophelia hissed excitedly. "I never learned about her!"

"Don't ask," replied Sister Helena. With any luck, the Blood Angels would never end up visiting this planet.

"One son was a wall."

"You mean, built a wall?"

"Was a wall. Emp-Rar's concubines gave birth to a great wall to protect him. Wall called Dorn."

"I'm really pretty sure this is heresy..." groaned Sister Isabella.

The feral worlder looked at them suspiciously. "Priestesses of Emp-Rar should know the story. Why so many questions?"

Sister Helena smiled, doing her best to convey smug superiority. "We merely wish to see how well you know your history. Memorized speeches are all well and good, but it doesn't mean much if you can't explain in detail."

The feral worlder seemed a bit embarrassed at that. Her head bowed, she pointed to three smaller paintings.

"Other sons, Great Green Ones say are not important, but we put them up here anyway. Important to know history. The Raven-" she pointed to a painting of a large black bird, his wings spread, giving what looked like a murderous glare to the other paintings- '"The Man with the White Scar-" this painting showed what appeared to be a man riding a horse made of steel, a primitive attempt at understanding the concept of an attack bike- "and Bad Angel. Great Green Ones not talk about Bad Angel, though. They say he brings bad luck to those who knew too much."

"They would," commented Sister Mariana. "And I think the Great Green Ones seem to have been a little bitter over Guilliman's backers. Are there any they did say were important?"

The feral worlder beamed at her.

"Wolf-Man. Along with Great Green One, refused to lose his manhood to the Gill-Man's coat of stars." With that, she pointed to the final painting on the temple walls.

The painting showed a huge barbarian, naked from the waist up. Over one shoulder was slung a woman, who looked as if she wasn't quite sure whether or not to be upset by her impending ravishment. In the other hand, he wielded a giant tanker of mead, using it to crush his opponents while taking a healthy drink from it himself.

"Well," said Sister Helena after a moment's pause, "at least they got one right."

And there's the horse.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
There was actually a somewhat interesting article about the economy of fantasy miniatures in Patrick McKenzie's newsletter a while ago:

https://bam.kalzumeus.com/archive/payments-and-plastic-in-the-fantasy-supply-chain/

It's usually about payments stuff, but he's a big enough nerd to also write about this too

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

The only people I see with MBA in their email signature are one-up-from-entry level clinical research associates who obviously believe the sales pitch from the business schools. Total waste of money for them.

I doubt there's any seniority level in pharma where a MBA makes sense. Looking at the C-levels for my company only the CFO has a MBA.

I have a MBA from a good but not absolute top tier school, and absolute LMFAO at any moron who puts that "credential" in an email signature.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This weekend I hung out with my friend and his MBA wife, a partner at a PE firm.

His wife’s MBA was extremely GWM for him.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you put your degrees of any kind in your email signature that is pretty sad imo

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I’m a senior level CRA and had debated doing an MBA because I was bored, had almost no work to do during the pandemic was efficient enough that the work I did have to do was easily and quickly completed and my current big pharma job would pay for it. Then I thought I’d do a MPH.

Instead, I just did what I needed to do then hosed off and watched tv/played games all day.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you put your degrees of any kind in your email signature that is pretty sad imo

Someone in my office has this in their email signature and it has driven me crazy for years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

75% of nurses just felt a moment of rage and don’t know why.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone in my office has this in their email signature and it has driven me crazy for years.

lol that's the hardest tryingest tryhard email sig I've seen in a long time. I bet that's a fun person to interact with.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel like Doctorate is where it might be okay to list education in your email sig. Even then I'd probably just do it: Dr. Wilder T. Mild Ph.D. I think there are basically 0 other situations I can think of where I'd list it. Even then it would be because I spent so loving long in school that people will know I am a Ph.D doctor so I get SOMETHING for it. But fuckin LOL at listing the BA even the MBA there.

I've worked with a lot of people who literally get a million certs and list them all in their signature. One place I worked at this person who was one step above entry level had a signature like:

Buzzie Killington, MSDC
LCRM, TYLR, SR LNR, CESM, TESC, LON, NDOE, TYNM

These aren't the real abbreviations, but you get the idea. It was like a loving barcode. Like it was her hobby to burn money on these dumb cert courses to keep adding to her signature.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arnold J Rimmer, bsc ssc

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

EricBauman posted:

There was actually a somewhat interesting article about the economy of fantasy miniatures in Patrick McKenzie's newsletter a while ago:

https://bam.kalzumeus.com/archive/payments-and-plastic-in-the-fantasy-supply-chain/

It's usually about payments stuff, but he's a big enough nerd to also write about this too

holy poo poo I didn't know about resin printers, that's wild.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I will make an exception for Germans because they love that Prof Dr Ing poo poo more than life itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I tried a theme of picking non-finance subs to search a specific keyword and it seems to confirm that this word is used almost exclusively in BWM contexts.

quote:

Does anyone on this sub or the general Orlando area want to co-sign on a boat loan with me? The boat would be mine, but you can come over and go out with me any time or use it unrestricted when I am out of town. I will make all the payments so no cost to you.

quote:

AITA for deciding my mother-in-law is not fit to take care of my kids this summer? Thus I quit my job and we can’t afford my husbands boat?

Of course with all Reddit posts, there’s a ton of background here and I will try to make this brief. I know family related posts can get intense so I created a throwaway. I have a good marriage with normal ups and downs. My desire in life is to be a stay at home parent, my kids are my passion and I get more joy out of being with them and watching them grow and learn than I could any job. I do however do bookkeeping from home so I have a decent income(think I make as much as a new school teacher). However my husband confessed to me early this year that he’s tired of feeling like we don’t have the material things his friends do. He said he talked with his mom and she would be happy to watch the kids for free as a test run this summer.

I reluctantly agreed and asked my work for a full time position while I study for the CPA. I’ve had major issues with my MIL, when it comes to food (worst example: she allowed my kids to eat nothing but marshmallows for an entire weekend), politics+religion (won’t get into it but we don’t agree and she always says things like “xxxxx is evil but don’t tell your mom I said that”) and safety (she flaunts the kids not wearing bike helmets and again tells the kids not to tell me).

I was also exceptionally taken aback because before I got my first full time check my husband had taken out a loan at line 9% APR for a wakeboarding boat. I know he’s wanted this for a long time but the unilateral decision really, really bothered me.

We are a month in and it’s not gone well to up to Yesterday. The kids have been repeatedly sick so I’m pretty sure she’s not following my food rules, they have had almost zero active time and she parks them in front of phones to watch unsupervised YouTube literally all day long. I brought both up with her and told her that when I was home with them we cooked together, we did play groups, we went to the zoo and did art camps. She head-nodded me to death and then when I left she apparently called my husband because when I saw him next he told me I needed to go easier on her because she’s why we can afford so many nice things now. Poor choice of words dude.

Then yesterday she had two separate trips to the ER for 2 of the 3 kids. One severe sprain and one burn because my 6 year old was hungry for something besides candy and tried to make a pizza. Both will be fine but in addition to kids being hurt, she took them to exact ER I told her NOT to take them to and now we are going to have months long battle to try to get insurance to cover the bills.

Edit: an exceptionally ignorant and argumentative commenter below is taking exemption to the ER thing. To be clear, I would have handled the burns and bruises at home. My MIL in panicked and took both kids to the ER. And she drove past the one I told her to go to in order to take them to one she was “more familiar” with. So it’s out of network meaning we are at least in for a months long battle trying to get insurance to cover and there’s a good chance we may be out thousands of dollars for these Er trips. We couldn’t potentially afford the goddamned boat (that had already needed extensive work not in warranty) BECAUSE of these ER trips.

Id had it and told my work in going back to part time. I told my husband the boat is being sold and that was that. He is furious with me so is MIL.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

quote:

i took a personal loan secured against my Silverton 41 boat to buy bitcoin at 20k. I am up about 5% which is a little less than the loan interest. But, it has only been a few months so at this rate I will easily be making back 3-4x the interest rate on the loan and be ready for another moonshot.

"Guys, I have two boats, but need a third boat with some room to sleep on. I can't afford a third boat outright, for some reason, though."

quote:

Question about boat loans

Unsure if this is the right place, sorry if it’s not. Anyways, I have two boats that I just bought outright a while ago but my girlfriend and I are looking for something that we can live on for part of the year. The problem is we don’t have the capital to buy one outright so we’d need a loan/financing. I guess my questions are mainly is it similar to applying for a mortgage? What are the differences? If you get your potential boat surveyed do lenders still typically put age restrictions on vessels? And info would be great! Thanks!

Someone suggests mortgaging your house for a third boat.

quote:

quote:

I financed ($80k) mine through my bank with a mortgage. No survey required. 1.9% rate. That was in 2018, and I was up front that I was taking out the mortgage for a boat. I also have home mortgage insurance on it in case something happened to me, in addition to regular marine insurance. The boat was 11 years old when I bought it.

Ok, awesome! I’m going to talk to my bank/mortgage lender too and see what they have to say! Thanks!

quote:

Boat loan Approval questions

Like the title says I’m looking for a boat loan. Stats: $142k last year 745 credit 775 Fico $3800 mortgage 12 mo old $450 car payment 3 yr old Seeking 60k loan for 15-20 years, do I have a shot at the loan or should I use my Xmas bonus in December to pay my truck off and free up some DTI. Anyone with experience in this area, please help me out.

quote:

quote:

We went with a local credit union. The interest rate is crappy, and we wish we should have shopped better (I think it is 10%). We plan to probably trade in for a different boat and a new rate in the next year.

Did I read correctly that you're trying to finance a 60k boat for 15-20 years?!?!?!?!?