Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

How could you forget the batt insulated stairs

I didn't forget them, but they're just kind of weirdly pointless instead of objectively terrible.

Unlike this:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

- Zero attention to aesthetics, just plopped down a gigantic box tumor on the side of a regular house
- Couldn't get an inspector willing to sign off on it, so instead he got licensed as an inspector and then signed off on his own work
- Put a window at floor level at the staircase landing, right where someone (e.g. a child) falling down the stairs would crash through them
- Put the thermostat where it will get direct sunlight
- Load-bearing drywall

That's the main stuff I remember. I'm sure there's more but I don't really care to refresh my memory.

Outlets in the floor. Outlets in the ceiling. Just way, way too many outlets on each circuit.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Honestly I like outlets a lot. That complaint never jived with me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scarodactyl posted:

I kinda agree. If there aren't enough outlets people just add power bars wall warts anyway, so I'm not sure a 'too many outlets' house is more likely to overload a circuit. And if (big if) it is wired properly, wiring inside the walls is probably safer than power bars and extension cords of the floor.

My dream home would have twice as many outlets as is standard, and they would all be at waist height.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

I kinda agree. If there aren't enough outlets people just add power bars wall warts anyway, so I'm not sure a 'too many outlets' house is more likely to overload a circuit. And if (big if) it is wired properly, wiring inside the walls is probably safer than power bars and extension cords of the floor.

My dream home would have twice as many outlets as is standard, and they would all be at waist height.

I can only imagine some guy getting his jimmies all jammied "by accident" with that kind of setup.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Scarodactyl posted:

I'm not arguing that having lots of outlets is a bad thing, I'm arguing that his implementation was super dumb just like everything else. I think that it was one of the reasons he couldn't get the worked signed off. How often do you think to yourself "it sure would be awesome if there were outlets in the ceiling over my cabinets"? He used wall outlets in the floor rather than buy code compliant floor outlets that are covered when not in use.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
How many of those outlets go to the same fuse in the breaker box? How likely is it that people will plug enough poo poo into those outlets and use them at the same time to cause the breaker to switch off?
My uncle installed about 120 outlets in a house ending up at around 1 outlet per 1½ meter. His explanation was that he got a discount on them when buying them in bulk and he might as well use them. Plus that meant he could plug his power tools in anywhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

koshmar posted:

So it's got 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a spacious kitchen and direct access to a large cave system.

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1557394243894886402?s=20&t=J1L527Xp0A3v7cToX8Fkdg

Something about cottagecore Batman.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Slugworth posted:

Your grandpa had no clue what the hell he was doing.

You pull them out with a pair of channel locks.

A retail store I used to work at had several ancient vacuum cleaners for our miles of carpet, and one of them was missing a ground pin. I eventually found it.. still stuck in the outlet. Amazingly, it broke off flush with the plug and didn't protrude from the outlet at all so nobody else had ever noticed or cared.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

- Zero attention to aesthetics, just plopped down a gigantic box tumor on the side of a regular house
- Couldn't get an inspector willing to sign off on it, so instead he got licensed as an inspector and then signed off on his own work
- Put a window at floor level at the staircase landing, right where someone (e.g. a child) falling down the stairs would crash through them
- Put the thermostat where it will get direct sunlight
- Load-bearing drywall

That's the main stuff I remember. I'm sure there's more but I don't really care to refresh my memory.

- Insulated stairs
- Wall that bowed out
- Slab was not level
- Inadequate plumbing because "what are the chances two people ever take a dump at once"
- Shed that goes toot :grovertoot:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a podcast did an episode on it, the main dude is a goon. as far as i remember there's a bunch of house lore that is regularly shared that is outright incorrect, such as the inspection - i think they said the municipality did the inspection and signed off on it.

It was a patreon ep for the "Well there's your problem" podcast... there's a preview but it doesn't have anything except them cracking jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJU-Q9gw_sg

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
iirc he joked about getting a permit to do his own inspections but out of context it looks like a serious plan

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

iirc he joked about getting a permit to do his own inspections but out of context it looks like a serious plan

I don't think it was about doing his own inspections. As I recall the permit/inspector required stamped engineering drawings (a totally normal requirement for a project of that size/scale/cost) and of course the place would have to be actually built to those drawings as stamped to close out the permit. Since no one would stamp that trainwreck he got whatever additional certs (already being some type of engineer - electrical I think) he needed to sign off on the building/mechanical portions of the plan himself.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's okay, Grover claimed to be "the civilian equivalent of an Admiral" so why NOT sign off on your own work, it's not like there's a massive set of gotchas and industry best practices that require specialized knowledge and experience to not just perform serviceable work, but good work

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He claimed to be O5 equivalent, not admiral.

It was the same excuse he used to be a gip mod.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

my mistake, stealing far too much valor on behalf of a combination aircraft carrier mechanic / computer janitor

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Iirc he was some contracts manager or some poo poo. He didn't do poo poo besides shuffle papers. He wasn't a mechanic or a computer janitor.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Motronic posted:

Since no one would stamp that trainwreck he got whatever additional certs (already being some type of engineer - electrical I think) he needed to sign off on the building/mechanical portions of the plan himself.

well, poo poo. maybe this got goon-telephoned into the inspection story or maybe the call is coming from inside my memory.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They so clearly made exactly what they intended to make and it's so overwhelmingly weird that I kinda like it.

Like, I wouldn't build it or buy it, but if my neighbor started converting his place into that, I'd be ok with it once it was finished. I'd spend the construction process peering through my blinds with gradually mounting unease, but mostly for fear my neighbor might be a Lovecraftian protagonist.

I had a cubicle with a view of the Stata Center at MIT being built, and boy was that concerning until we realized an Architect was involved. (Say what you will about the outcome, but the initial construction was wildly entertaining to watch.)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

`Nemesis posted:

a podcast did an episode on it, the main dude is a goon. as far as i remember there's a bunch of house lore that is regularly shared that is outright incorrect, such as the inspection - i think they said the municipality did the inspection and signed off on it.

Grover was a GOON? :pirate: This is shocking news.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Grover was a GOON? :pirate: This is shocking news.

Grover was also a mod and kept probing people that gave him poo poo about the house.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Grover was also a mod and kept probing people that gave him poo poo about the house.

It wasn't just Grover.

The house kicked off a whole "mod sass" panic that led to people getting probed all over the forum for discussing the house - even up to probing people who posted gifs of Grover the muppet.

The reaction is the biggest reason it's an internet legend and not an obscure bit of SA trivia.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He also made eerily accurate predictions about the course of the Iraq War. And by eerily accurate I mean completely innacurate.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Grover was a very petty mod. He probated a few people over the Katy Perry elmo shirt bouncing gif. In the gip drunk thread over a decade ago.

Someone pull up his Iraq invasion predictions.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

It was a patreon ep for the "Well there's your problem" podcast... there's a preview but it doesn't have anything except them cracking jokes.

There’s a link to the full episode if you dig a little.

Donoteat shared it with the fine people of C-SPAM.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

I don't think it was about doing his own inspections. As I recall the permit/inspector required stamped engineering drawings (a totally normal requirement for a project of that size/scale/cost) and of course the place would have to be actually built to those drawings as stamped to close out the permit. Since no one would stamp that trainwreck he got whatever additional certs (already being some type of engineer - electrical I think) he needed to sign off on the building/mechanical portions of the plan himself.

Yeah, he got his Professional Engineer license to stamp his own drawings. The PE test is pretty brutal and requires serious study, so good for him for getting it I guess.

At the end of the day, the AHJ still had to sign off on the permits and inspections.

e: few states separate PE by discipline beyond sectioning off structural engineering. If you're a PE, you can stamp any discipline, but you're assuming civil and potentially criminal liability.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 22, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

At the end of the day, the AHJ still had to sign off on the permits and inspections.

As a former AHJ I would absolutely require stamped drawings for something like that, but stamping drawings don't make things in the drawings that aren't to code acceptable.

I'm guessing nothing was blatant enough or the inspector wasn't really paying attention (or just wanted to be done dealing with him) but the place was full of obvious code violations, mostly related to quality and workmanship.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Weembles posted:

It wasn't just Grover.

The house kicked off a whole "mod sass" panic that led to people getting probed all over the forum for discussing the house - even up to probing people who posted gifs of Grover the muppet.

The reaction is the biggest reason it's an internet legend and not an obscure bit of SA trivia.

I've been banned for posting a photo of groverhaus. I regret nothing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

As a former AHJ I would absolutely require stamped drawings for something like that, but stamping drawings don't make things in the drawings that aren't to code acceptable.

I'm guessing nothing was blatant enough or the inspector wasn't really paying attention (or just wanted to be done dealing with him) but the place was full of obvious code violations, mostly related to quality and workmanship.

Wasn't he also having major groundwater problems? I seem to recall him spending a great deal of time & energy addressing hydrostatic pressure issues.

It's a miracle he didn't come across any Civil War dead or first nations burials. That would have been a poo poo-show.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 23, 2022

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Wasn't he also having major groundwater problems? I seem to recall him spending a great deal of time & energy addressing hydrostatic pressure issues.

It's a miracle he didn't come across any Civil War dead or first nations burials. That would have been a poo poo-show.

Being built on a native American burial ground is really just the cherry on top.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Honestly i can't blame them, that side of the house faces a very busy street

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For rent: 1 room deficiency apartment

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The thing that gets me about it is that if they'd actually walled in that space properly, then probably people would think a combination of "the ceiling in the stairwell is a little low" and "oh! a bed nook, neat!" It'd still be a weird apartment, but it wouldn't be an indefensibly weird one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
  1. Replace railing with wall.
  2. Install murphy bed in wall.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

The thing that gets me about it is that if they'd actually walled in that space properly, then probably people would think a combination of "the ceiling in the stairwell is a little low" and "oh! a bed nook, neat!" It'd still be a weird apartment, but it wouldn't be an indefensibly weird one.

At the bare minimum, they could have added some storage solution under the bed where there is just wasted space now. Some deep drawers or something.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
that ceiling shelf owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

How did you get a photo of the ducting in my roof?