Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Escobarbarian posted:

Watch The Leftovers or Atlanta or Succession or Better Call Saul or Fleabag or Patriot

i know you enjoy your tv and movies esco so i won't sound too disparaging here but i barely have enough time to play all the videogames i want to play never mind adding tv shows into the mix too

heck i've watched one movie this year and that was Hairspray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

The dragon is probably from the game of thrones thing that started this week

Gotta remind people it exists since every fan of the franchise was Thanos snapped off the face of the planet the second the finale ended.

I watched the whole show because of my (now ex) wife and I have to admit that the meltdown caused by the last season made it worth watching. I kind of understand that the new seriesnis watched as if they announced Brink 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

Watch The Leftovers or Atlanta or Succession or Better Call Saul or Fleabag or Patriot

lmao no

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

have you ever even tried, you sick sick man?? :colbert:

The only thing I'll stick in a book is my nose

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Or maybe a bookmark

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Aipsh posted:

Honestly the fact that the Quake 3 engine was the number one engine for pretty much every FPS or FPS adjacent game for like over a decade held so much back tbh. It was weird starting a new game and just being able to tell what engine it was by the visible seams and knowing what bugs/glitches you could make use of immediately.

Well, the same could be said about the current situation with the Unreal engine, imo. The availability of the Quake 3 engine at least gave us a lot of good games, imo. It‘s sad that the following two engines from id turned out to be incredibly hard to work with. Doom 3 engine gave some cool games, especially the modified version for Quake 4., I don‘t even know if there were any Rage engine games outside of id‘s own making/Raven etc.

I find it interesting how they turned from trying to make the best looking engine to making one of the most efficient ones with 2016 and Eternal (Carmack beeing on the way out might be a reason for this). Seeing Eternal running on a Nintendo Switch is pretty nuts.

I hope more games would use the Decima engine. Even though HFW might be a bit too vibrant for me, the engine itself seems to be really good for great looking open world games. Death Stranding had so many breathtaking moments the art team could realize with it….

e: speaking of Carmack, what the gently caress does he do on a Joe Rogan show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJPn3FSFmM&t=5s

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 22, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

The only thing I'll stick in a book is my nose

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

1. video game
  2. book
  3. film
  4. tv

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm on yet another training course and it's so loving boring so I'm just gonna post nonstop while were on a little break

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Video games own

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

We watched rush hour and rush hour 2 to test out my new sub cuz it was the first actiony type thing i could find on fridgelinas netflix and boy those films are a bit cringe

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:allears:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Like it's kinda amazing how bad most films are. I remember being a big jackie chan fan back in the day but this era of his work is just garbage

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

1. video game
  2. book
  3. film

4. tv

ftfy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Like it's kinda amazing how bad most films are. I remember being a big jackie chan fan back in the day but this era of his work is just garbage

Police Story 1 and 2 are stone cold classics. His best stuff was not with the Hollywood system (though I am very fond of Rumble in the Bronx despite it having a few tonal whiplash moments) but his stuff from the 70s and 80s. Armour of God and Operation Condor, Project A parts 1 and 2, Legend of Drunken Master 1 and 2, Wheels on Meals...

I am a huge classic Jackie Chan fan. Watched almost all of his stuff up to Rush Hour. :3:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I somehow watched more of his racing team than his movies.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sakurazuka posted:

Quake 1 owns but also I played it when it first came out

Well re-releases aren’t for people who already played the game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jackie Chan is one of the most amazing performers this world has ever known.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the police story movies are pretty good

the gba jackie chan adventures game is not

quake is one of those games you should probably replay every 4-8 years tbh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jackie Chan is one of the most amazing performers this world has ever known.

My very first Jackie Chan film was Police Story 2. What an introduction. When Eureka released the special limited edition Blu-Ray of 1&2 together I had to get them. Coincidentally Police Story 3 super cop was my introduction to Michelle Yeoh :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Coincidentally Police Story 3 super cop was my introduction to Michelle Yeoh :)

Same!

Dubbed version, in theaters, 1996 :blastu:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fridge corn posted:

Do you know what's a good film? Love Exposure. A four hour Japanese epic about cults, Catholic guilt and upskirt photography.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

tv is almost always average crap. 99% of the time it's lower quality entertainment than videogames or movies. 100% of the time it's worse than just reading a book.

i see you are unfamiliar with the ouevre of kevin j anderson

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

i see you are unfamiliar with the ouevre of kevin j anderson

no i def factored him in to my calculations

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

my new favorite video talkin bout hallways (silent hill 3, the silver case, yakuza 7, stray, mirror's edge, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-D_p_kft7g

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I beat Quakes 1 and 2 like 15 years ago - never played 1 multiplayer, but plenty of 2 against friends when I was in high school, until we moved to HL mods. 2's single player was pretty good (stroggification section was loving creepy), and the railgun remains one of my favorite weapons of all time

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Escobarbarian posted:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i know you enjoy your tv and movies esco so i won't sound too disparaging here but i barely have enough time to play all the videogames i want to play never mind adding tv shows into the mix too

heck i've watched one movie this year and that was Hairspray

Esco is right though, these are all brilliant. Particularly Atlanta. Also add Barry to the list.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

curried lamb of God posted:

I beat Quakes 1 and 2 like 15 years ago - never played 1 multiplayer, but plenty of 2 against friends when I was in high school, until we moved to HL mods. 2's single player was pretty good (stroggification section was loving creepy), and the railgun remains one of my favorite weapons of all time

Stroggification is 4, but i fully agree on the railgun. Such an awesome weapon. Q2dm1 might be my favourite dm map. Diving for the railgun owned.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

my new favorite video talkin bout hallways (silent hill 3, the silver case, yakuza 7, stray, mirror's edge, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-D_p_kft7g

thor high heels is s tier youtube

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

tuo posted:

Q2dm1 might be my favourite dm map. Diving for the railgun owned.

Oh that brings me back, I was working on a remake of that map in unreal but I fell off it at some point and then lost the data.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

caldrax posted:

Esco is right though, these are all brilliant. Particularly Atlanta. Also add Barry to the list.

idc how great the next big tv show everyone is hot on for a week is, games are better

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Theres not a single game that has the dramatic weight of when appa gets stolen by azula imo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Better call saul is a masterpiece in its last few seasons but lol yeah. Bring back the movies!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
You know whats better and more engaging than the rest of those tv shows (cept better call saul) ????

Final fantasy xiv on ps5 :cool: even has a bad first season.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Better Call Saul is anime so I can’t recommend it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

The dragon is probably from the game of thrones thing that started this week

Yeah that clip is taken from a larger HBO promo montage. I guess someone wanted both the TLOU stuff and the final logo and when they saw there was one shot of a dragon in between they just said "ehhh gently caress it the music would sound weird if I tried to fix this"

e: whoa, a lot more posts than I thought

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

You know whats better and more engaging than the rest of those tv shows (cept better call saul) ????

Final fantasy xiv on ps5 :cool: even has a bad first season.

Hell yeah :cool:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

tuo posted:

Stroggification is 4, but i fully agree on the railgun. Such an awesome weapon. Q2dm1 might be my favourite dm map. Diving for the railgun owned.

It happens to the player in 4, but there's a section of 2 (iirc, it's been a long time) where you see it happen to other marines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

Bugblatter posted:

So I got a PS5 last week and it's pretty cool, but is it normal for the download times to be waaaay slower than a PS4? Also, is there no way to have more than one download running at a time?

I can have at least a couple of games pulled down simultaneously on my PS4 Pro and a large 30-40GB title generally takes about 30 minutes, but no matter what I do the PS5 will only run one download at a time at it takes nearly an hour just for the "playable" point of the download to finish, longer for the full game.

If you are using wifi go to your registered network and hit the options button. Set wifi frequency bands to 5ghz instead of automatic. That made everything download way faster for me.