Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's important to get the patient's consent before you murder them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whatever you do don't look into actual history and what maternal mortality %'s showcase

((hell if you are in America right now don't look into the current percentages))

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can someone explain why "suddenly" they were killing each other during the tournament? Or were they supposed to?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vintersorg posted:

Can someone explain why "suddenly" they were killing each other during the tournament? Or were they supposed to?

it's always been a fight to the death but honor and yielding are a thing and sometimes these nerds just don't do that honor/yield part so it defaults back to the original plan (to the death)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It was very good, in my opinion. I kinda hated all the actors in the trailers but I really grew to like them when they got more time. Rhaenyra's actress especially. Poor Viserys too, all he wants is everyone in his hosed up family to get along. He has no idea what is coming to his way :(

As for all the violence and sex, I expected it, HBO and the Targaryen dynasty at its peak? That's a blood orgy made in hell.

Also, hated secret prophecy poo poo. Show writers stop adding major plot points, you fail in it every time.

Vintersorg posted:

Melees and tourneys in ASOIAF constantly result in death. It's nothing out of the ordinary in the setting. You can totally kill whoever you want in them but it is seen as dishonorable if you do it by not fighting the same way as your opponent - e.g. what Daemon did. They didn't bat an eye at Daemon doing something like that because "dishonorable" is his middle name and he is a prince.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 22, 2022

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I liked how the crowd were stunned into horrified silence when the horsey fell over but were cheering and encouraging little kids to watch a man have his brain pummelled to pulp.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I was just thrown off as the first one the guy just won and they moved on. Then the next time they are ripping a guys face off. :lol:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vintersorg posted:

I think I was just thrown off as the first one the guy just won and they moved on. Then the next time they are ripping a guys face off. :lol:

you'll notice during the big set piece that the moment a person is knocked off the horse it's considered "done", you've "won" the bout and everybody can cheer and have happiness

but if you choose to also dismount then that's it ya'll fighting to the death unless somebody yields (when the Doctor does this you hear the announcer person going "Has chosen to continue combat!" to the roar of the crowd)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also gonna depend on the relative rank of the combatants. Ser Common Born isn't about to kill the Targaryen heir if he doesn't yield.

I imagine it rarely devolved into wanton combat at irl medieval tourneys, but people did die a lot. Henry II of France died when he caught a massive chunk of splintered lance in the lists. For "realistic" irl medieval tourney combat, watch The Last Duel, which features a showstopper of a finale, and can be reasonably said to represent judicial combat of the era, as it was well documented by contemporary witnesses.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

zoux posted:

Also gonna depend on the relative rank of the combatants. Ser Common Born isn't about to kill the Targaryen heir if he doesn't yield.

I imagine it rarely devolved into wanton combat at irl medieval tourneys, but people did die a lot. Henry II of France died when he caught a massive chunk of splintered lance in the lists. For "realistic" irl medieval tourney combat, watch The Last Duel, which features a showstopper of a finale, and can be reasonably said to represent judicial combat of the era, as it was well documented by contemporary witnesses.

Even that has the invented half face jousting helmet which would have been a terrible idea for actual jousting if you didn't want to be killed with a lance to the face.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gresh posted:

lol jesus how do these guys not have 3 arms yet

Hey, the Ptolemies did it and Cleopatra was presumably pretty hot

(books)one of the Targaryens did have two heads. Also once in a while someone gives birth to a really hosed up baby. I'm talking no eyes, no limbs, that kind of poo poo.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 22, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Max posted:

Even that has the invented half face jousting helmet which would have been a terrible idea for actual jousting if you didn't want to be killed with a lance to the face.

Yeah but you have to see the actors faces or Middle Aged Suburban People get confused and angry

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fuligin posted:

that's funny, i think he's great channeling his Prince Philip massive dickwad energy
Yeah. Apparently he's supposed to be a badass (?), but so far I'm pretty happy with him being more of a dickwad than a fighter. Dickwads are what makes the setting, not great fighters.

DarkCrawler posted:

Hey, the Ptolemies did it and Cleopatra was presumably pretty hot
Cleopatra wasn't hot, she was charming.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Being the only one voting for a Queen at all succession party, which is easy for them because all the north already allows female succession so having a female ruler wouldn't cause succession troubles in his region while supporting male only succession may encourage troubles.
Also brutally decapitating people.

I've been watching some Preston Jacobs videos about Fire & Blood, and apparently, the Targs also allowed female succession until very recently (in relation to the current story). He goes through the succession rules, and the Queen Who Wasn't (Rhaenys) got super-robbed by that vote at Harrenhall that's briefly mentioned at the beginning. By all right she should have been named queen, but she got out-politicked, and the huge Harrenhall Council made up a "no girls allowed" rule on the spot. Before that, circumstance was the only reason they'd just never had a Targ queen.

Obviously Rhaenys and Rhaenyra's similar names are intentional, but this is really and Osha/Asha situation you gotta name one of them something else guys.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It was fine, I liked it. It wasn't as good as early GoT but it was much better than the last couple seasons. I definitely plan to keep watching it every Sunday.

I also didn't have a problem with the actor playing Daemon but I've never watched anything else he's in so there's no past performance affecting my opinion there. I thought his helmet in the tournament was stupid and impractical but I realize it's for TV and they want to show his face.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cleopatra wasn't hot, she was charming.

Even better, you'd think the court language of Alexandria was inbred screeching at that point. But she was super smart too!

Toplowtech posted:

Being the only one voting for a Queen at all succession party, which is easy for them because all the north already allows female succession so having a female ruler wouldn't cause succession troubles in his region while supporting male only succession may encourage troubles.
Also brutally decapitating people.

Unless this is sarcasm and I missed it

The North doesn't allow female succession unless all the males are dead. That's Dorne. Dorne isn't part of the Seven Kingdoms during the show. ​The show basically doesn't think about the lords at all and just tosses names around because the show fans don't care.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 22, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Why would I do that though? As someone who hasn't/won't read the books I am going to let the show tell me what happens.

This is a good point. Would some mod please mark one of these threads as spoilers? There are two in this forum.

e: here is the other one, which has a lot less traffic

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001588&perpage=40&noseen=1

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 22, 2022

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PostNouveau posted:

Obviously Rhaenys and Rhaenyra's similar names are intentional, but this is really and Osha/Asha situation you gotta name one of them something else guys.

Is this also sarcasm

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

Is this also sarcasm

I mean, I know what GRRM is going for here. The Targs make themselves seem otherworldly and godlike by having like 4 names and riffing little variations on them so there is never gonna be an Otto Targaryen or a Dickon Targaryen. It works fine on the page but just causes too much confusion in a TV show.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Martin is great with names overall IMO… until it comes to the Targ repetition. And there’s some historical precedent for what the Targs do, but it can only confuse people in a TV show.

It isn’t just those two characters named in the quoted post, it’s Aegon I, II, III, etc

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The targ naming scheme reminds me of the elf naming scheme from LOTR a bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

runaway dog posted:

The targ naming scheme reminds me of the elf naming scheme from LOTR a bit.

Oh, so they're all Welsh

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, I know what GRRM is going for here. The Targs make themselves seem otherworldly and godlike by having like 4 names and riffing little variations on them so there is never gonna be an Otto Targaryen or a Dickon Targaryen. It works fine on the page but just causes too much confusion in a TV show.

I read that he modelled it after European monarchies. Like the UK has been ruled pretty much by a William, George, Henry, Charles, Edward or Elizabeth for the best part of 1000 years.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

runaway dog posted:

The targ naming scheme reminds me of the elf naming scheme from LOTR

It kind of does. Only for me, I was never sure how to pronounce a lot of elf names from the books. The ones we don’t hear onscreen I’m still not sure about a lot of them.

I can pretty much figure out the Targ ones because they seem to have two basic-sounding names.

You’ve got the Rae names and the -rys names, and various combinations of both.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I like how Viserys is just a massive amiable nerd, reading history books and retreating to the comfort of his Legos when the unfortunate thing happened. He should get some cushions and arm rests put on that throne, mind, he clearly needs them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PostNouveau posted:

I mean they have tons of names, though many are variations, sure. Rhaenys and Rhaenyra have a different number of syllables though so I don't personally get the confusion. Also there are tons of shows about Romans and British royalty and those guys weren't exactly innovative about their names either.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 22, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He kinda fell into the same naming scheme with the big players in Elden Ring.

Godwyn the Golden son of Godfrey the first Elden lord. Father to Godrick and Godefroy the Grafted.

Morgott/Margit, the Omen King brother to Mohg, Lord of Blood. Son of Queen Marika.

https://www.vg247.com/elden-ring-boss-demigod-names-george-r-r-martin-initials

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I read that he modelled it after European monarchies. Like the UK has been ruled pretty much by a William, George, Henry, Charles, Edward or Elizabeth for the best part of 1000 years.
Yeah, royal houses often end up just reusing names. Denmark had 500 years of alternating Christians and Fredericks, only ended by our current queen ascending to the throne. And that naming convention just started right back up again with her son and grandson, basically just pretending like she was a man named Christian.

Sentinel Red posted:

I like how Viserys is just a massive amiable nerd, reading history books and retreating to the comfort of his Legos when the unfortunate thing happened. He should get some cushions and arm rests put on that throne, mind, he clearly needs them.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious why they would prefer him on the throne.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Do I have to be very familiar with the lore to watch and enjoy this? It has some actors I really like in it!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Sentinel Red posted:

It's great to see how he's clearly not a good king, but not in a way that's often shown in the series. He's not violent or crazy, he just doesn't want to upset anyone and hates confrontation (Considine did a great job acting in the throne room scene. He looked so uncomfortable surrounded by the trappings of Targaryen power).

He's the gooniest Targaryen king, even if Aegon IV was gooniest-looking.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 22, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

Melees and tourneys in ASOIAF constantly result in death. It's nothing out of the ordinary in the setting. You can totally kill whoever you want in them but it is seen as dishonorable if you do it by not fighting the same way as your opponent - e.g. what Daemon did. They didn't bat an eye at Daemon doing something like that because "dishonorable" is his middle name and he is a prince.

I don't think this is the case. There have been one or two deaths in melees and each time, it's presented as a shock / accident / tragedy. This melee featured multiple purposeful killings which seemed very weird and not in keeping with the "they use blunted weapons to avoid hurting one another" vibe that is present in the books.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Confusedslight posted:

Do I have to be very familiar with the lore to watch and enjoy this? It has some actors I really like in it!

Not really. It's a prequel, and they focus on a lot fewer characters (at least for now) than GoT did. I don't know who any of these people are in the lore and I didn't read the book it's based on, and I found it enjoyable.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Confusedslight posted:

Not sure cuz I'm a big huge lore nerd, but maybe watch something like this first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdkx2OEcghw

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

No, it is a prequel. They flat out explain or spoon feed lore that's necessary so far, or I assume will eventually (the iron throne, what's up with the dragons, Valaria, etc)

Some stuff like "why does that tree have a bleeding face" and "why did the first scene take place in a collapsed castle" might require watching GoT but is really probably not important to the plot of this particular show

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

runaway dog posted:

Not sure cuz I'm a big huge lore nerd, but maybe watch something like this first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdkx2OEcghw
I really don't see a reason to watch any "lore video". Like, just enjoy the show on its own, they literally spell out every conflict and power dynamic relevant to the episode and I'm sure they'll keep doing that. The idea that you should do homework for this, or any show really, just seems silly to me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't think this is the case. There have been one or two deaths in melees and each time, it's presented as a shock / accident / tragedy. This melee featured multiple purposeful killings which seemed very weird and not in keeping with the "they use blunted weapons to avoid hurting one another" vibe that is present in the books.

I agree; I've read all the books (including Fire & Blood though it was like 9 years ago when it was first published as a short story in another collection) and I don't remember them ever saying that the purpose of a joust or melee in this kingdom was to fight to the death. Sure, deaths would happen sometimes (like the guy The Mountain kills in S1 of GoT) but they were unfortunate accidents, not a forgone conclusion of the tilt. Especially since the participants are usually lords and knights of powerful houses, aka people that "count" in this world, not like the dehumanized citizens of Kings Landing you see in the City Watch raid.

So yeah, that struck me as odd as well. My guess is that they just wanted/needed to make sure they hit their violence quota (which is ridiculous considering how much we got outside of the tourney scenes). But overall I really liked this and I'm excited to watch more. I keep going back and forth on whether I should refresh myself on the events to come by rereading Fire and Blood, looking at wikis, or re-reading the relevant parts of World of Ice and Fire vs. resisting that impulse and just enjoying the show as it comes.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

resisting that impulse and just enjoying the show as it comes.

I'm choosing this path, as much as I can manage.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I really don't see a reason to watch any "lore video". Like, just enjoy the show on its own, they literally spell out every conflict and power dynamic relevant to the episode and I'm sure they'll keep doing that. The idea that you should do homework for this, or any show really, just seems silly to me.

Yeah I mean you don't have to, I doubt you'd be that lost.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've read two separate reviews now saying that Viserys chooses between the lives of his wife and child in the birth scene, and... jesus, why is watching TV shows and listening to the words that people say out loud apparently too hard for some TV reviewers? The maesters flat out loving tell him that Aemma is dead no matter what and his choices are to either consent to them killing Aemma and saving the baby, or to pray for a miracle because right now they're both gonna die.

Like, it doesn't take anything away from the shittiness of the situation or how badly Viserys handles it (a braver man would have told his loving wife what the situation was, which is of course the point) to report accurately, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The reason it's called a caesarian is because Julius Caesar was (apocryphally) delivered in that manner. So it's certainly something women have been subjected to throughout history. It was almost never survivable. (In fact it still had an 85% mortality rate as late as the mid 19th century)

Big ups for anesthesia, the best thing we ever invented!