Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ditocoaf posted:

He definitely reads this thread, since every time Prequel is mentioned, this exact line of discussion always leads to him chiming in to defend himself from this exact allegation. To poor results.

...man I just wanted to enjoy dumb elder scrolls nonsense. Shame to hear about the author.

Still, gonna be interesting when we manifest them in the thread once again, after their long slumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
chilis gift card

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Well that was a disappointing thing to learn about a comic I got into a few months ago, yeesh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
lol I feel like this exact same conversation happens every 3 months or so in this thread

"Hey Prequel updated"
"Wasn't the author a creep?"
"Yes he was"
<2 to 3 posts about creep poo poo>
"oh...."
<Kazerad posts>
<goons dog pile on for like a page>
then maybe someone gets probated for 6 hours and the thread moves on until the dance restarts.

it's the new QC derail.

edit: I forgot a crucial part of the cycle currently in play

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 22, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ditocoaf posted:

He definitely reads this thread, since every time Prequel is mentioned, this exact line of discussion always leads to him chiming in to defend himself from this exact allegation. To poor results.

He's obsessed with people talking about him or his comic. He set up google alerts and poo poo to help notify him whenever either his online handle or his comic are mentioned anywhere online.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This continues to be the General Webcomics Thread for Liking Webcomics in and not the Highly-Specific Webcomics Thread for Attempting to Summon Webcomic Artists For Public Mockery.

Let's not be weird.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
y'all hosed up the Summon Weirdo ritual and got me instead

read MDA

probably Blood is Mine first because MDA is getting real meta insider baseball here lately

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's obsessed with people talking about him or his comic. He set up google alerts and poo poo to help notify him whenever either his online handle or his comic are mentioned anywhere online.

I don't think that's obsession, I think it's just part of making something! The whole reason services like Google Alerts exist is so companies and creators can track discussions about their work. It's a really good source of feedback and good way to find communities interested in your stuff - or critical of it, which can be just as important.

Tracking discussions is very common practice for businesses, but still kind of stigmatized for artists, so I feel obligated to speak up in defense of it when it's criticized. It's hard enough for self-employed artists to make a living, and I don't think there's any reason to make it harder by stigmatizing the tools and tactics used by non-art businesses - especially tools and tactics specifically designed for finding and connecting with an audience. And I know that sometimes talking about these things makes me the villain (e.g. saying that it's okay for artists to work for low pay), but I also think these are ideas that should be given a degree of defense (e.g. nearly every webcomic in this thread got its start as someone doing artwork for no pay other than exposure. It was a conscious, tactical choice that we made rather than working for someone who would pay us a livable wage outright).

I swear I'm not trying to be a nuisance or poo poo up the thread, I just feel like sometimes I get mythologized into an inaccessible evil figure, and I want to stress that pretty much all my writing is readily available online (including my 8 year old Tumblr, where you can read my 8-year-ago takes on things), and I am very easy to get in contact with (a@foxmage.com, Kazerad#3286). If I say something that is factually inaccurate or morally wrong, I do want to know, and I'm not averse to correcting or reneging on things I said ten years ago. I make no claims of being 100% correct, or particularly eloquent, but I would like to work toward both of those as a goal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Though he know's it's confirmation,
Still he shows no hesitation;
Posting he's not weird or mad:
Kazerad, Kazerad, Kazerad!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 22, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rand Brittain posted:

This continues to be the General Webcomics Thread for Liking Webcomics in and not the Highly-Specific Webcomics Thread for Attempting to Summon Webcomic Artists For Public Mockery.

Let's not be weird.

Are you sure

Are you really really sure

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Oh my god hahaha, here we go

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

before everyone piles on the namesearching is sort of weird but ultimately harmless, it was the gamergate stuff that really made people go "oh no" so I'm just checking in re: your thoughts on that as of tyool 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its actually that hes an overt misogynist that makes it evident in his work

fun hater
May 24, 2009

shut up bitch

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On a completely different note, Ben Fleuter, creator of Sword Interval, has started a new comic!

The opening page is very strong.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kazerad posted:

Tracking discussions is very common practice for businesses, but still kind of stigmatized for artists, so I feel obligated to speak up in defense of it when it's criticized. It's hard enough for self-employed artists to make a living, and I don't think there's any reason to make it harder by stigmatizing the tools and tactics used by non-art businesses - especially tools and tactics specifically designed for finding and connecting with an audience.

Tools to track audience reception to poo poo isn't there for you to interject into every conversation because you're a self-obsessed creep. gently caress back off to the chan boards you love so much that you'd lie down and justify gamergate for them. I don't think you're some Always Chaotic Evil demon. Being a pathetic weirdo who's desperate for attention and acclaim is too mundane for that.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

read MDA

probably Blood is Mine first because MDA is getting real meta insider baseball here lately

Today's comic was amazing by the way. Thank you for the work you put into it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Unintentional double-post.

Kazerad posted:

Stuff about analytics

The Thread posted:

Violence

Okay, sorry I brought it up.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Kazerad, I read your comic back when it was on the MSPA forums. I think I even got a user command in. I lost track of it at some point, but I'm saying this as someone who was a real fan for a while: There's no point in defending yourself in this thread anymore. The people in this thread just generally do not like you, for reasons they're very eager to tell you about. I've seen you pop into this thread to defend something or another for years now. You haven't seemed to convince anyone of anything, and as you can see above, your appearances have just become a running joke at this point.

Given that you're not going to convince anyone here arguing, and you're not likely to change based on people here's complaints, I would really recommend you just stop worrying about this thread entirely.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Tenebrais posted:

On a completely different note, Ben Fleuter, creator of Sword Interval, has started a new comic!

The intro pages for this are loving sick as hell and are what I was hoping this thread was discussing when I saw there were a bunch of new posts, cus honestly it deserves your time.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Today's comic was amazing by the way. Thank you for the work you put into it.

I want you to know this means a lot, I have been sweating about this entire loving arc lmao

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kojiro posted:

The intro pages for this are loving sick as hell and are what I was hoping this thread was discussing when I saw there were a bunch of new posts, cus honestly it deserves your time.

Man, Ben Fleuter can set a fuckin' mood when he wants to. Someone who actually knows how to use an endless scroll to his advantage, too.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
dammit who gave the sea lion a google alerts account?

ANYWAY does anyone here read Christopher Baldwin's Spacetrawler? I like it, but it always seems to me to be kind of...off in its dialogue, like the author doesn't speak English as a first language. It's always seemed to be a bit wonky, but I can't put my finger on it.

If you like comics with a long LONG back catalog and worldbuilding though you might want to check it out.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Neophyte posted:

ANYWAY does anyone here read Christopher Baldwin's Spacetrawler? I like it, but it always seems to me to be kind of...off in its dialogue, like the author doesn't speak English as a first language. It's always seemed to be a bit wonky, but I can't put my finger on it.

If you like comics with a long LONG back catalog and worldbuilding though you might want to check it out.
It's quite good! It's very Thorsbyesque in how it spins a bunch of bigger ideas out of smaller ideas and honestly I find the dialogue kind of charming. I thought maybe it was just supposed to be how the universal translator would construct sentences to be understandable by everyone but IDK he still just wrote it that way. I'm waiting for book 3 to wrap up before I go back there in force but I do like how Baldwin knows that he doesn't have to have people from the first two books stand around and just remind people they're important, they're allowed to change for better or worse now that "their" adventure is done. Also he is very willing to let his characters make some big loving mistakes which I appreciate because it keeps things interesting.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
It definitely reaffirmed my love of cake!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Huh. Thought all the talk about spacetrawler was about a re-release. But this is a whole new series. Egg on my face for sure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Splicer posted:

Though he know's it's confirmation,
Still he shows no hesitation;
Posting he's not weird or mad:
Kazerad, Kazerad, Kazerad!
Is this supposed to be to the tune of the Beetlejuice theme or the Freakazoid theme?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Spacetrawler got posted in one of these threads not that long ago. Quite the ride, I liked it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Now THAT'S a motherfuckin' infinite'd canvas! Also (I'm pretty sure), a riding gastropod, armoured for war.

Osmosisch posted:

I'm pretty sure Spacetrawler got posted in one of these threads not that long ago. Quite the ride, I liked it.
I know for a fact it got posted in the BYOB Webcomics Thread in a year or two ago.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

On the one hand it is good that he's self-hosting, but the comic template he's using generates all the pages client side using JavaScript and can't support an RSS feed so this comic might as well not exist.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's crossposted to tumblr which does have rss feed support, for those of us oldheads who use rss feeds

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

flatluigi posted:

it's crossposted to tumblr which does have rss feed support, for those of us oldheads who use rss feeds

Oh poo poo, I was gonna ask because I'm one of those oldheads.

Sword Interval was dope as hell, even with the truncated ending due to real life ecological catastrophe.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

read MDA

I got to > SCREAM AND DRAW BLOOD and I'm hooked, definitely going to read the rest of Blood is Mine.

disposablewords posted:

Man, Ben Fleuter can set a fuckin' mood when he wants to. Someone who actually knows how to use an endless scroll to his advantage, too.
Yeah, I have complained at length about vertical-scroll comics and "the webtoons format" ITT but this is a comic that actually puts the format to good use and is sick as hell as a result.

This has bumped Sword Interval way up on my to-read list, too.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 23, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

girl dick energy posted:

Is this supposed to be to the tune of the Beetlejuice theme or the Freakazoid theme?
Whatever brings you joy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Splicer posted:

Whatever brings you joy
They're both apt in their own ways.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

ToxicFrog posted:

I got to > SCREAM AND DRAW BLOOD and I'm hooked, definitely going to read the rest of Blood is Mine.

Yeah, I have complained at length about vertical-scroll comics and "the webtoons format" ITT but this is a comic that actually puts the format to good use and is sick as hell as a result.

This has bumped Sword Interval way up on my to-read list, too.

Sword Interval sadly doesn’t get to do that much of this kind of thing, because it’s on webtoons, but you can tell Fleuter was straining against the webtoons format. I’m super glad he moved to his own hosting and then immediately started playing with the space and style he has available. It’s a very good sign that this is going to be an even better comic than SI.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Sword Interval was dope as hell, even with the truncated ending due to real life ecological catastrophe.
A comic about looming global catastrophe ending abruptly due to irl looming global catastrophe is in some hosed-up ways even better than it ending fully realized.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Very excited to read this. First page is crazy

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh poo poo, I was gonna ask because I'm one of those oldheads.

read this and it would be much much better if roughly 10% of the updates weren't "i'm so sorry, no update this week". overall it comes across as much much too ambitious for the (admittedly incredible) design, drafting and general art level skills on display. occasional issues with composition and plotting. it doesn't seem like he could ever output the comic he wanted and it comes out in the text a lot, in particular with the ending where he clearly wants to include what this and that are a metaphor for and as such gets insanely on the nose about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the ending was truncated because the author’s house burned down

probably wanted to finish the thing while they still had the stamina for it