Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Resort is getting into the meat of its story now. It has some mystery box stuff but I'm confident they can wrap it up in one season. I don't see how it could be anything but a one off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mcmagic posted:

She-Hulk has fun moments but it does take the whole Whedon-esque soy banter to another level of cringe.

lol

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit
When you lost the culture war

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You're a very foolish person if you think anyone ever "wins" or "loses" the culture war.

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit
People just need to try a little harder

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ozmunkeh posted:

By “slowly” do you mean “since Iron Man”?

I don't know about that. If Iron Man and Love and Thunder were played back-to-back, I doubt that anyone would really be remarking on the consistent tone between them. I'd argue the first Iron Man shares much more tonally with the first Spiderman than it does with most of the MCU. Neither of them undercut their dramatic moments in service of a joke (Iron Man's closest is maybe the tank scene?), nor are they ever really afraid to treat the source material seriously.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BisterdDave posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Reservation Dogs! Just finished the first season and it was much better than I was anticipating.

Show consistently has me teary, maybe because i'm familiar with that type of grief that suffuses the whole thing. Pretty heavy while still managing to keep it light. Kinda an invigorating watch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're a very foolish person if you think anyone ever "wins" or "loses" the culture war.

culture war...culture war never changes

mystes
May 31, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It was like an alt right term like 5 years ago. It's been co opted and is just internet speak now. I'm not alt right lol.
Consider that literally the entire point of the "alt right" is to take gross far right stuff and try to make it sound mainstream so it will percolate into normal discourse

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Shageletic posted:

Show consistently has me teary, maybe because i'm familiar with that type of grief that suffuses the whole thing. Pretty heavy while still managing to keep it light. Kinda an invigorating watch.

I was surprised to see how heavy it got later on, but man is it still very good! Like you said, it does a great job of making you laugh through the tears.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mystes posted:

Consider that literally the entire point of the "alt right" is to take gross far right stuff and try to make it sound mainstream so it will percolate into normal discourse
Another thing they like to do is coopt stuff like "drinking milk" or "liking Taylor Swift" so they can get ordinary liberal people to argue about it and make liberal sensibilities look ridiculous.

That said, I wish there was a better term for a certain type of person I think we're all familiar with, whose entire existence revolves around milequetoast pop culture fandom.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Reservation Dogs looks like it's right up my alley - in Canada I haven't seen many ads (and I guess online i'm not considered the right demo) for Disney+ shows, and the ones I do see are Marvel-centric.

Apart from Severance, which is on my list to watch, are other apple shows good? It's almost a complete blind spot for me. I know about Ted Lasso (which is saccharine but has that Scrubs vibe) but that's kind of it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

forest spirit posted:

Apart from Severance, which is on my list to watch, are other apple shows good? It's almost a complete blind spot for me. I know about Ted Lasso (which is saccharine but has that Scrubs vibe) but that's kind of it.

I thought the first season of For All Mankind was great, but the show felt very different in the second season. I'd still recommend it if you're looking for something on Apple+.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

:agreed:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Reservation Dogs! Just finished the first season and it was much better than I was anticipating.

Res Dogs and This Fool are pretty loving good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/animationonmax/status/1561791661444841477?s=21&t=xBfWo7ZVmkbwtq7MVooq3A

I didn’t know this was even happening and now I’m bummed

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean I get needing to cost cut. Most streamers are WAY WAY out over their skis in terms of what they're paying per household to produce content.

I do.

But I feel like WBDHBO has just handled it in the worst way possible. I mean they were basically raising to the top of quality streamers and are just... self-immolating at a rapid pace.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The AV Club noted that it was crossing the point from cold-hearted corporate planning to just downright cruel. Thought that about nailed it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why would any up-and-coming creator ever choose to work with WB/HBO after this poo poo? You’re kneecapping your future creative slate by loving over all these projects just to save a few bucks in the short term.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would any up-and-coming creator ever choose to work with WB/HBO after this poo poo? You’re kneecapping your future creative slate by loving over all these projects just to save a few bucks in the short term.

HBO mostly waits for creators to establish themselves elsewhere before bringing them in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm sure established creators are also happy to have their projects suddenly cancelled mid-way through due to dumb corporate politics

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah Paul Dini of all people got his Scooby Doo movie cancelled when he was almost done

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mystes posted:

I'm sure established creators are also happy to have their projects suddenly cancelled mid-way through due to dumb corporate politics

Has that happened to anyone yet?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

live with fruit posted:

Has that happened to anyone yet?

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah Paul Dini of all people got his Scooby Doo movie cancelled when he was almost done

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
No offense to Paul Dini but the 500th Scooby Doo animated movie doesn't really count.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like it's the sort of thing where it can't be that much of a loss to put it out instead of taking a tax write off if it keeps the guy that created one of your most popular film leads happy.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Man gently caress this. Easiest layup in the world and you cancel it to make like Hoarder House Hunters or whatever the gently caress

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/batman-caped-crusader-jj-abrams-hbo-max-cancel-1235347652/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

live with fruit posted:

No offense to Paul Dini but the 500th Scooby Doo animated movie doesn't really count.

Batgirl?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Batgirl?

I mean more like Nathan Fielder and Adam McKay, who built up a certain level of clout before HBO threw money at them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’d mulch a thousand HBO animated series for a second of Nathan Fielder

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tim Whatley posted:

Man gently caress this. Easiest layup in the world and you cancel it to make like Hoarder House Hunters or whatever the gently caress

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/batman-caped-crusader-jj-abrams-hbo-max-cancel-1235347652/

JJ Abrams Batman cancelled is a favor to us

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Upsidads posted:

Wondering what it would’ve been like is the ultimate mystery box

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’d mulch a thousand HBO animated series for a second of Nathan Fielder

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't care about the specific things they've canceled so far, but I really like the service they've had so far. A fair number of good shows and a great library of movies outside I'd the usual hbo crap like the TCM catalog, Studio Ghibli, and a pretty incredible Sesame Street archive that my kids love and I think it's dumb that they're burning the whole thing down with bad decision after bad decision.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doing this in such a public way rather than just slowing down on new shows in the future seems like asking for investors to blame the new management when they lose streaming subscribers over the next year.

Even if it's actually a rational business decision because costs are so out if control it just seems dumb to do it like this and attract negative press.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

live with fruit posted:

Yeah but it's Paul Dini so it's going to have that unique Dini charm. By being super thirty for Velma.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Upsidads posted:

Caped Crusader only had Abrams' name on it for PR reasons and because he has an overall production deal with HBO. Bruce Timm and to a lesser extent Matt Reeves were going to be running it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Brocktoon posted:

I declare Sandman to be “fine”, which is exactly my feeling about the comic. The height of the season is definitely Hob’s story in the second half of episode 6, which makes sense since that’s one of the best issues of the comic.

If anything, it suffers for staying TOO close to the source material, because all my issues with the show regarding unevenness and characterization are issues I already had with the comic.

I've ended up in the same place. I always thought the comic was great (or had great parts) but also had its faults that were rarely spoken of (like a lot of entries in the comic canon). The show does a creditable job and makes changes but still feels a bit like an illustration of the comic.

Something that irritates me, perhaps overly, is sticking with Dream being imprisoned in 1917, which introduces distracting problems when we reach the present day, i.e. 2021. There's a lot of century-old people rolling around the story ...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Does Outer Range end in a satisfying way? I was intrigued in the start, and while there has been a lot of personal drama, there has been very little by way of the mystery/scifi elements, and I'm getting a little tired of Imogen Poots constant knowing more than she is willing to reveal. I was in the middle of episode 7 I think, and Imogen gave another one of her smirks, and I just turned it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

has anyone watched the new game of thrones lol