Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I have a 3 GB limit now, so I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Edit: *in extremely hacker voice* I'm in

Edit 2: I'm not in, apparently there's a technical issue and they'll call me back tomorrow. But either way, turns out you can just ask for the $45 20GB plan and they'll give it to you.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Wonderful. Since your last plan was an outright archaic amount of data for what I presume to be somewhere near close to your new rate, your current carrier will want you back and may contact you in a few days after your port your number for a hopeful $45/25GB winback retention plan. If they do, demand a $300 new device credit if they don't offer that as well. That's the current best average carrier winback plan.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Finally a plan that was the same cost as my legacy 6GB/$40 (now $45) with koodo. Easy to sign up online with the chat, but a touch slow (~35 person queue) and then the chat disconnected right at the end before confirmation, but the guy called me direct to make sure it went through. Those reps are just raking in the commissions on this deal.

If anyone cares, you get a temp/new number and when you get the sim in the mail you call in to port your old phone number over.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Odd, Rogers sent me in the mail today a sim card and offer sheet for $55/20GB to get me back, but I dont ever remember having Rogers or Fido for cell service. I didn't chat with fido, and only have home internet with them, until Sunday so they couldn't have mailed it following that failed request for better than $60/mo service.

Strange. Their offer targeting AI mainframe must be pretty good to know i'm sick of their poo poo and to blow the speculative cost of a sim on postage on 'getting back' a low ARPU leech like myself. I've only ever had the bottom rate low non ERP cell service. poo poo I once spent a year of my life living off $15 worth of 711 speak out wireless pre-paid just so I could get sms 2 factor codes. I'm the lowest of the low value customer.

And i don't own any crypto or Steam inventory TF2 white earbuds so its not some spearfishing thing.

Ah wait, i was on Chatr and then Rogers postpaid a lifetime ago, while living at a different address. Took them this long to track me down. Bastards.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 23, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Gonna try for that plan, thanks SPOA. Thoa.

Edit: of course I could just check my work's EPP plans too 😅

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 23, 2022

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
What do we recommend for roaming in the US these days? Rogers can go gently caress themselves at $12 a day per device.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Lexicon posted:

What do we recommend for roaming in the US these days? Rogers can go gently caress themselves at $12 a day per device.

The T-Mobile tourist SIM and a vacation voice-mail answering message on your Canadian line.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Any network or hardware reason that my data is all of a sudden hot garbage since Telus deployed more 5G in PEI? Like it’s shockingly slow when I’m on 5G and it bumps down to 3G more than it has in years. Started maybe a month ago?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Happening in BC and AB as well.

More often than not I’m shutting off 5g to hang onto the old lte protocols for better stability.

Seems to be a real problem on highways when there’s poor 5g it can’t make that transition smoothly to lte so you’ll end up with no data for longer than if you turn off the 5g all together.

Could be something in the protocol maybe? Towers not designed around the higher sensitivity leading to dead zones.

It’s becoming a real issue though for people outside of major cities.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 3, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Welp, the cell industry is as much of a racket as I suspected but it's great to confirm

Much as I hate Rogers, I'll have to hang onto my Goldilocks plan as nothing else comes close to what I'm getting for $56/mo, even if 6GB of data doesn't seem like much, it's fine. Only used 9 since June 2021 anyway lol.

Like all new 4G plans are throttled to hell, no major even mentions/includes text & messaging outside Canada.

Whatever.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

6gb for $56 is a ripoff

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m paying $60 for 20gb, two data only SIMs and a watch. They’ll have to pry this plan from my cold dead hands.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you are not locked in, there's a bunch of back to school byod 20gb/$45 deals going around from various providers - although you have to slog through retentions and stuff. Check out RedFlagDeals where they're generally posted.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lexicon posted:

esims!! No fiddling with stupid simcards and poo poo.

I went with Airalo last time I was down south and it was fantastic and so easy to use. Gonna use it again when I go to NY next month.

https://www.airalo.com/

You don't get to phone people but whatever. It's data only.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Welll looks like esim only will be the standard for all apple-competitive phone manufacturers in a years time. Goodbye SIM cards and their minting and shipping fees. Welcome exhaustive Canadian carrier eSim fees for having to change a single line in a database.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Canadian Cellular: E-sim is only seven dollars now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I fully expect esim will come to Public Mobile never.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

I fully expect esim will come to Public Mobile never.

They brought back LTE options! There's hope!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Called Koodo to ask about an esim since I inexplicably can't get one online. Apparently the only way to get one is to drive to a Koodo store and pay then 20 bucks then scan a qr code.

The Future, baby!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

E-sim: 20 bucks to scan a qr code.

New thread title already, drat

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Please hurry up and have it changed before its raised $21.95 and we look like chumps

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lol it probably doesn't include hst anyway, so yeah, 23 bucks or whatever

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mister Facetious posted:

New thread title already, drat

Not empty quote: the new Canadian model iPhones still have a physical SIM card slot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evis posted:

Not empty quote: the new Canadian model iPhones still have a physical SIM card slot.

Oh thank god

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Given that literally any time you want to move your eSIM you need to pay Rogers for the privilege of scanning a physical QR code (which you conveniently need to pay Rogers $20 for), I would have imagined they would loudly lobby Apple to ditch the SIM slot. Filthy freeloading communists moving their service between devices at will for FREE :|

I remember when I was upgrading phones and I decided to do it after work (and coincidentally after the rogers stores were shut for the day) and after I restored my backup to a new phone I was stuck without Cell/SMS until I could hoof it over to the local kiosk the next morning. It's a loving QR code my dude, just take my twenty dollars and show or email me a jpeg I can scan online at rogers dot ca, don't mail me a loving card.

I really quickly realized how many of my services were set up for SMS 2FA the second it was inaccessible :haw:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Telus are at least considering it according to their forums.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Ideas/eSIM-Transfer-Support/idi-p/113628

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'd hardly call "Thanks for the feedback, we will forward this to our device/sim card teams! " considering.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

*presses "send" on a frozen app window Windows error report and patiently waits for Microsoft to get back to me with a fix and an apology*

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

If I port a voip number to a mobile provider, will the number still forever be flagged as a voip number by websites that care about that sort of thing?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm looking to switch from Rogers to something on the Bell network. Outage aside, the real reason is that the area within a 20 minute walk of my house is really really hit or miss for reliability. I'll walk outside, have half bars, and data/voice still refuse to work reliably.

Anecdotally, my friends on Bell don't seem to have this issue so I have to presume there's some tower location stuff going on, which feels weird since I would imagine they'd all be in the same high spots.

Anyway, long story short, I'm already a Bell internet customer and that's been good so I'm OK to give them a try.

Current plan:

Rogers Infinite 20: ~$91 after tax
Tablet Plan: ~$30 after tax
Total bill: ~$120/mo

Total bill: ~$120

I'm currently looking at:

Bell Essentials 25gb: $96 after tax
Tablet add-on: $12 after tax
Total est: ~$108/mo, but could come down if there's a bundle discount for my other services (iptv/internet)

Two things about Bell that are irking me:

- Essentials plan is limited to SD streaming? How? Has to be some kind of QoS fuckery because presumably they don't have introspection to manipulate an encrypted stream to my content source, right? If I ask youtube for a 1080 or 4k video, unless they're doing some ssl decryption they're not going to tell YT that "oh no, he really actually just wanted the 480p version lol". Is this enforced in practice? Presumably this is only a ploy to get people to say "i'm not going to pay them $5 to unlock HD streaming, I'll just pay them $10 to go to the next 45gb package" right?

- Tablet add-on for "unlimited" plans says that it's limited to 512kbps?? What the poo poo? Is this for real? I keep the tablet plan around as a holdover from when my phone was dead after a long day and I wanted to podcast or browse the web on the train commute home so I can probably give this one the axe. Not to be uncle moneybags here, but $10 isn't a lot of money to me so I would probably keep it around if it wasn't crippled, but honestly I can't see the value if it's actually capped at 512kbps.

Thoughts? The tablet thing isn't really make or break, I can always add it later if I really miss it and am commuting again, otherwise I can tether from my phone. The weird streaming limitation does feel like a make or break thing, though either way I would come out cheaper or same price as Rogers and still fix my overarching coverage issue.

If it's all worst-case answers, I may just get the 45gb plan, no tablet, and live with that for a while, all the while pondering how it's 2022 and visual voicemail is still a paid add-on.

e: Phone is BYOP on an old iPhone XS so no phone purchase.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 28, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wow, talk about some proper bullshit there.

Do you even get a discount for combining your phone and internet bundles?

No, of course not you idiot, you moron. :wotwot:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 28, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The thing that frustrates me about visual voicemail is that it would be incredible as an accessibility thing for me due to anxiety issues but nope costs extra and requires you to be on a premier brand because it's seen as a luxury. gently caress capitalism.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm looking to switch from Rogers to something on the Bell network.

Bell Essentials 25gb: $96 after tax
Tablet add-on: $12 after tax
Total est: ~$108/mo, but could come down if there's a bundle discount for my other services (iptv/internet)

Phone is BYOP on an old iPhone XS so no phone purchase.

Just clicking three buttons on the Virgin Plus website gets me offered up a $60 20 gb plan plus $22.17 a pre-owned iphone 12 pro 128gb with zero down payment. Why would you go with Bell Corp itself for no phone and more money? Bell and Rogers proper are only advantageous over their "fighter" brands for people in huge corporations/governments that have solid EPP deals because they are negotiated on behalf of 20,000+ users.

edit: wait a sec, by simply not clicking they sweetened the deal:

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 28, 2022

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So still in the middle of this cluster (Freedom somehow lost my phone number in the shuffle I have the winback plan but need to do a final port back to Telus to get my original number), but switching from Telus EPP back to Telus following this Red flag deals Telus winback offer troublesome but it is worth it. $50/30GB Unlimited (2 lines give a $7.50 discount which is why it shows $42.50)

I tried for the $45/25GB winback plan offered here but never got a call back so I just called into Loyalty and settled for the $50/30GB plan which is still better than my Telus EPP plan $70/20GB.

Still you have to pay a bunch of money up front:

1. Getting a Telus consumer account
2. Getting a different carrier sim and plan

I've tallied up spending $120 so far to get this new plan (and you might not even need to spend that much), and going from $70/month to $50/month still is a net savings after a year.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 28, 2022

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I can't tell if that's a parody... or real. :ohdear:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bell is the worst company in Canada by actually being evil, Rogers is just grossly incompetent (and still evil but not quite as bad)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That IS a great deal, but the only reason that I'm staying clear of Virgin right now has nothing to do with Virgin itself, but the fact that the plan isn't unlimited.

I checked my data usage across my phone and tablet and I'm over 20gb combined for the month (I like to work outside the house, not gonna lie) so if I'm going to kill the tablet plan and tether off my phone I will pretty easily see months where I run into overages on Virgin :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

The thing that frustrates me about visual voicemail is that it would be incredible as an accessibility thing for me due to anxiety issues but nope costs extra and requires you to be on a premier brand because it's seen as a luxury. gently caress capitalism.
VVM owns so hard. Should really be mandatory for all carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure the only time I ever even THINK about voicemail is when I'm expecting a call from the doctor or dentist or whatever else entity is still unable to send me a text message in the year 2022. And I hate it.

Otherwise it's just wading through a sea of 40 second silent recordings or "NIHAO!"