Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

I agree; I've read all the books (including Fire & Blood though it was like 9 years ago when it was first published as a short story in another collection) and I don't remember them ever saying that the purpose of a joust or melee in this kingdom was to fight to the death. Sure, deaths would happen sometimes (like the guy The Mountain kills in S1 of GoT) but they were unfortunate accidents, not a forgone conclusion of the tilt. Especially since the participants are usually lords and knights of powerful houses, aka people that "count" in this world, not like the dehumanized citizens of Kings Landing you see in the City Watch raid.

Yeah, they don't give you anything about the guy Daemon killed, but it's wild to go crazy on someone like that when a lot of the combatants are related to the most powerful people in the realm. Make yourself enemies for life with an entire house by killing one of their sons or cousins. Good character-building for Daemon, really helps see why the small council is so afraid of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They should have COMPLIED (yielded)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, they don't give you anything about the guy Daemon killed, but it's wild to go crazy on someone like that when a lot of the combatants are related to the most powerful people in the realm. Make yourself enemies for life with an entire house by killing one of their sons or cousins. Good character-building for Daemon, really helps see why the small council is so afraid of him.
Don't think Daemon killed anyone? He blatantly cheated against the Hand's son but that guy lived (and Daemon should've been DQ'd and had the victory handed to that kid), and he lost his other match. The murder melee was two other dudes, I'm pretty sure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Don't think Daemon killed anyone? He blatantly cheated against the Hand's son but that guy lived (and Daemon should've been DQ'd and had the victory handed to that kid), and he lost his other match. The murder melee was two other dudes, I'm pretty sure.

Oh I guess I'm just bad at watching TV. I thought he was the dude who got super pissed off and went ham on someone.

It seemed like it led to a montage of deaths as well? It was cut confusingly.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

CapnAndy posted:

I've read two separate reviews now saying that Viserys chooses between the lives of his wife and child in the birth scene, and... jesus, why is watching TV shows and listening to the words that people say out loud apparently too hard for some TV reviewers? The maesters flat out loving tell him that Aemma is dead no matter what and his choices are to either consent to them killing Aemma and saving the baby, or to pray for a miracle because right now they're both gonna die.

Like, it doesn't take anything away from the shittiness of the situation or how badly Viserys handles it (a braver man would have told his loving wife what the situation was, which is of course the point) to report accurately, guys.

This show is going to get a ton of bullshit astroturfed “thinkpieces” pushing/projecting their ideologies onto the show. Best to just ignore it

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

PostNouveau posted:

It seemed like it led to a montage of deaths as well? It was cut confusingly.
It was. I think that there was just one death where the two dudes were loving brutalizing each other with their tourney weapons (unsharpened hunks of steel are still hunks of steel), followed by the Daemon/Criston Cole match.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

CapnAndy posted:

he killed that one dude's future theoretical children.

or not, I think he just ordered it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, Matt Smith is so unintimidating. :lol:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress, Matt Smith is so unintimidating. :lol:

That armor owns what are you smoking

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

MLSM posted:

The armor is scary bad guy armor, but Matt Smith is not a convincing scary bad guy. I don't think he's a bad actor, per se, but the issue is that he was cast in the wrong sort of role.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MLSM posted:

Winners don't use drugs.

Also the armor is great - did you look at the face inside though?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't know, I think he plays unhinged pretty loving well.

He certainly sold it with that street massacre.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Matt Smith is weird-looking in photos but in motion he's loving great at just radiating malevolence.

runaway dog posted:

he killed that one dude's future theoretical children.
If years of playing Crusader Kings has taught me anything, it's that dudes without last names don't matter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Its dumb to have a explicitly lethal tourneys where yr eldest heirs can potentially be killed but i didnt really mind it because the theme seems to be that the people and the lords are hungry for blood in this relatively peaceful time. Cheers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CapnAndy posted:

I've read two separate reviews now saying that Viserys chooses between the lives of his wife and child in the birth scene, and... jesus, why is watching TV shows and listening to the words that people say out loud apparently too hard for some TV reviewers? The maesters flat out loving tell him that Aemma is dead no matter what and his choices are to either consent to them killing Aemma and saving the baby, or to pray for a miracle because right now they're both gonna die.

Like, it doesn't take anything away from the shittiness of the situation or how badly Viserys handles it (a braver man would have told his loving wife what the situation was, which is of course the point) to report accurately, guys.
Reviewers are near-universally the dumbest people on the planet, so it makes sense.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Deakul posted:

I don't know, I think he plays unhinged pretty loving well.

He certainly sold it with that street massacre.

Yeah i dont get the people saying smith can’t play an unhinged psycho

I guess its just weird internet poo poo

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I feel like not having seen Matt Smith in anything else (esp. Doctor Who) is serving me well because I honestly thought he did very well as whatshisface.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I never saw Dr. Who, I thought he was fine and the critical reaction to his performance has been very good. He really really does sound like Ramsay Bolton though.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 22, 2022

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah for playing an unhinged incest baby, he really fits the part.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dongicus posted:

Its dumb to have a explicitly lethal tourneys where yr eldest heirs can potentially be killed but i didnt really mind it because the theme seems to be that the people and the lords are hungry for blood in this relatively peaceful time. Cheers.

I also think a bunch of blood and death being spilled on a pussy shaped arena may symbolise something but it's impossible to tell without watching 5 separate youtube essayists

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lightningproof posted:

I feel like not having seen Matt Smith in anything else (esp. Doctor Who) is serving me well because I honestly thought he did very well as whatshisface.

Yep, I've never heard of him before and I don't watch Doctor Who so he seems perfectly fine to me. One of the stronger actors in the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dongicus posted:

What's even crazier is that they did this all the time irl from the 12th-16th centuries, and lots of heirs and lords died.

this show is probably gonna do numbers
https://twitter.com/Bkillinit/status/1561530122934657024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dongicus posted:

They're not supposed to be killed -- they fight with lances designed to break and blunt weapons, you're not supposed to be trying to kill the other guy, and you're definitely supposed to lay off as the guy's rank increases. But accidents happen and sometimes dudes get mad.

Dudes still risk their literal lives for entertainment even today, and the jousters are competing for huge amounts of not only money, but also glory, in a time when that matters to an insane degree. If nobody knows your name, distinguishing yourself in the lists is the only reliable way to get it known. If you're a big shot (or heir to same) with vassals under you and leading significant military forces and you don't show yourself to be both brave and capable in combat, all those vassals and soldiers are gonna start asking themselves just why exactly they're taking orders from you.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Not reading all of that but the tourneys in universe are fought with breakable lances/ dulled swords and axes. Its a shock and outrage when sir hugh dies in agot. Again it doesnt matter at all because the logic of it isnt interesting

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Folks Rhaenys says exactly why the tourney knights are openly killing eachother, they're all bloodthirsty morons who have never seen actual war and their society loves this gore at every level

Also please stop saying "but in the medieval period!" People actually believed in God then too, this isn't a window

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Mameluke posted:

Folks Rhaenys says exactly why the tourney knights are openly killing eachother, they're all bloodthirsty morons who have never seen actual war and their society loves this gore at every level

This

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't think this is the case. There have been one or two deaths in melees and each time, it's presented as a shock / accident / tragedy. This melee featured multiple purposeful killings which seemed very weird and not in keeping with the "they use blunted weapons to avoid hurting one another" vibe that is present in the books.

There are plenty of melees beyond the few ones shown in the books, most of those during peacetime. Fire and Blood had one where like dozens died. Only people who have gripes with this are not just familiar enough with lore.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The armor is scary bad guy armor, but Matt Smith is not a convincing scary bad guy. I don't think he's a bad actor, per se, but the issue is that he was cast in the wrong sort of role.

He can definitely pull off the scheming petulant, vengeful rear end in a top hat side of Daemon but yeah, I don't buy him as "blindingly handsome super-warrior who makes people poo poo their pants".

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 22, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it was pretty good? The c-section scene was pretty brutal. Loved Hightower just calmly pimping his daughter out immediately when he could.

One thing that I didn't realize at first was that the girl Daemon was banging first and the one at the end were supposed to be the same? I thought he was in some random brothel and then just flew home to his wife whom they referred to earlier. Never read Fire & Blood though, although I've been reading up bits and pieces, from World of Ice & Fire also.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think you're nuts, Matt Smith is an insanely creepy villain. He's not hugely intimidating in a physical way, but he's got that same look Ramsay Bolton's actor had that makes him seem like a total sociopath who would have you gutted for the most minor, accidental slight to his ego.

I think you guys are too hung up remembering his part on that one show he did. I forget the name, but he was like a corny, low budget, live action version of Rick from Rick and Morty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Given what we know about CTE and TBI, dudes going around whanging each other on the head with 30 lbs of cold iron is going to lead to some serious injuries no matter how armored you were. Doubly so if you are mounted on a 700 lb animal galloping at 25 mph and concentrating all that force into a 2 inch square "dulled" lance tip.

There are modern jousting enthusiasts and I don't know what kind of modern precautions they take but I don't know if anything is sufficient to mitigate the forces at work in medieval style combat.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Am I a massive nerd/idiot for thinking that the whole "we need to name a new successor now" bit seemed a bit rushed/forced? Like even if the king was delusional that his child would both be a boy and survive, it's not like there wasn't already a succession crisis in play. His child not surviving was a very possible outcome (one his council should not be totally surprised by) and I don't get how it actually happening changes the situation. I guess the queen dying means he needs more time to find a new wife or maybe he gains more faith in his daughter and less in his brother, but the whole vibe of the succession becoming super time sensitive felt a bit off.

I acknowledge this is a very stupid thing to be posting about and apologies for not Googling everyone's name.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Look I don't think anyone with their wits about them is going to walk up to the heir to the iron throne who is known for being unhinged and tell him his armor is stupid to his face.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BWV posted:

Am I a massive nerd/idiot for thinking that the whole "we need to name a new successor now" bit seemed a bit rushed/forced? Like even if the king was delusional that his child would both be a boy and survive, it's not like there wasn't already a succession crisis in play. His child not surviving was a very possible outcome (one his council should not be totally surprised by) and I don't get how it actually happening changes the situation. I guess the queen dying means he needs more time to find a new wife or maybe he gains more faith in his daughter and less in his brother, but the whole vibe of the succession becoming super time sensitive felt a bit off.

I acknowledge this is a very stupid thing to be posting about and apologies for not Googling everyone's name.

The implied reasoning with Hightower immediately sending his daughter to go comfort the king is that he is hoping to get an in with the king by making his daughter seem desirable now that the queen has passed. This wasn't a planned thing but he is savvy enough to know when to grab an opportunity when he sees one. Barring that, note that he is the one pushing to name a successor and how very much he does not want it to be Daemon. Dude doesn't like him and is trying to square things away with an heir he isn't threatened by.

Max fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 22, 2022

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

BWV posted:

He has some sort of unknown illness as evidenced by the wounds that won't heal, and he keeps cutting his likely diabetic rear end on the throne. There's a very real possibility he could die soon from it.`

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TeaJay posted:

One thing that I didn't realize at first was that the girl Daemon was banging first and the one at the end were supposed to be the same? I thought he was in some random brothel and then just flew home to his wife whom they referred to earlier. Never read Fire & Blood though, although I've been reading up bits and pieces, from World of Ice & Fire also.
His wife was uglier than a sheep, he wanted to make sure he had someone pretty to spend his time with.

BWV posted:

You have to consider that the king is also a massive nerd/idiot, and people are just taking advantage of the tragedy to get rid of someone they've wanted to get rid of for a while. Or trying to lay a claim on the throne like they have likewise wanted to do since forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Communist Q posted:

He has some sort of unknown illness as evidenced by the wounds that won't heal, and he keeps cutting his likely diabetic rear end on the throne. There's a very real possibility he could die soon from it.`

Looked kind of like greyscale to me, but I assume the maesters were aware of this disease by then?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

MLSM posted:

The armor is great. The way the helmet is sitting is doofy-looking, though.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

zoux posted:

Looked kind of like greyscale to me, but I assume the maesters were aware of this disease by then?

I don't think it's greyscale since that seems like something the maesters would be aware of. Regardless of what it is, open wounds like that would be a death sentence given enough time, considering Westeros's hygiene and medical standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

zoux posted:

They were and it is not greyscale which leaves cracked stone-like skin and not open wounds.