Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Even if everyone gets in the belly (everyone can't as eventually Cerberus will be sated), everyone will come out of it with plenty of time for someone who was in there to grab a chain if necessary.

Yeah the thing that bothers me most about Adds Belly Chains is that those last two mechanics don’t even happen at the same time! There’s no reason to divide it by group!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vermain posted:

Hell, Reawkening's long enough that the optimal strat is for one person to hold their chain for as long as possible (re: able to apply it before the carry buff runs out) just so you can beat on Cerberus more without dealing with mechanics.

I hate when people do this because I never know whether they're doing it or whether they don't know how to attach the chain

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I haven't gotten Relict in awhile in the roo, does everyone still return after killing the big lava guy or is that over?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HackensackBackpack posted:

I haven't gotten Relict in awhile in the roo, does everyone still return after killing the big lava guy or is that over?

There was literally never a reason to because somebody has to wait at the end anyway or the boss door won't open. So either you wait there, or waste Recall and wait at the boss (or blow Recall and rush into the boss room before the whole party is there, so the boss takes longer to kill).

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I was very recently in a WoD where I was the only person who went in the belly. I was a tank, so it was a slow death which led to a wipe.

Always go in the belly. Don't assume other people know how to do it.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Qwertycoatl posted:

I hate when people do this because I never know whether they're doing it or whether they don't know how to attach the chain

I hate because people who try it almost always overestimate how long they can hold on the chain before the chain zips back. so by the time someone else grabs it, reawakening already popped and we wipe.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I have done WoD probably two dozen times over the last two years.

I do not know how the chains mechanic works. I have always gone into the belly.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always go in too. I've never done the chains. I assume it's interact with thing, run to dog, interact with thing? idk getting eaten is more interesting

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr posted:

There was literally never a reason to because somebody has to wait at the end anyway or the boss door won't open. So either you wait there, or waste Recall and wait at the boss (or blow Recall and rush into the boss room before the whole party is there, so the boss takes longer to kill).

I know, but it became such a *thing* when it was in Expert. One time I was in a group where all three but me hit it the second the guy died, so I returned as well just to show 'em and everyone was very annoyed.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i think the last time i saw chains fail was back in stormblood

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Thundarr posted:

Having 3 people start killing the boss at T=0s with the healer or tank popping in at T=15s is going to make the boss die earlier than having everyone pull the boss at T=15s, even if the actual boss takes longer. Pulling without everyone present is never going to delay the kill, it just means that 1-23 people do some damage during the waiting period instead of standing around. It's the same reason pull timers are a suboptimization when not facing an enrage if your goal is real time speed: sure, you'll do more dps, but you wont hasten the end of the fight by as much as you delayed the start of it.

Is that 12s-ish potential gain worth it, especially given how angry some players get if you pull bosses without them and they get the arena teleport? Well, that's up to you. I will say the one Relict run where I pulled the boss on WHM and then had to healer-tank the entire fight while the DRK sulked in a corner was not a gain in clear time.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

DemoneeHo posted:

I hate because people who try it almost always overestimate how long they can hold on the chain before the chain zips back. so by the time someone else grabs it, reawakening already popped and we wipe.

It'd be nice if the "I am holding a chain" buff didn't last just about 5 seconds shorter than the remaining Reawaken castbar at the time, i.e. too long for many people to notice that it will expire and exactly the length that it will expire with no chance to pick it up again

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the only wipes i have had on cerberus in the last year (at least) have been when people hold the chain for "free dps"

there are no circumstances where it is a good idea even if you are confident in the chain timers.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1561670749441519616?t=V7_wvIMeAIjCaqSmlH54dg&s=19

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've been setting up a Steam Deck and I'm looking forward to getting FFXIV working on it. Comfy portable MMO time... anyone else playing the game like that, and if so, any secret tips that the youtube tutorials won't tell me?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For the release of the Primals video of To The Edge, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1jkevEv-Rw

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

RME posted:

i think the last time i saw chains fail was back in stormblood

I saw a group greed the chains and wipe to Cerberus just a few weeks ago.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Do you think Soken makes that joke every time the workday's over

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Alxprit posted:

I've been setting up a Steam Deck and I'm looking forward to getting FFXIV working on it. Comfy portable MMO time... anyone else playing the game like that, and if so, any secret tips that the youtube tutorials won't tell me?

You won't even need a YouTube tutorial unless you just work that much better with videos than with written guides. I followed this guide and it worked out well for me. To clarify the first paragraph:

1. If you license FFXIV via Steam, go ahead and just install that first.
2. If you license FFXIV via Square Enix, you will at least need the Steam FFXIV Free Trial installed because for some reason it still needs something in Steam to make this go super smooth.

XIVLauncher will be the thing handling the version of Proton to use and such, you won't need to mess around with selecting custom versions or anything. Honestly they've made it pretty streamlined.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Zomborgon posted:

Do you think Soken makes that joke every time the workday's over

I really hope so

RME
Feb 20, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

dire times we live in
i had a tank single pulling in zot yesterday too. maybe df was a mistake

derra
Dec 29, 2012
My leveling today was a single puller in Qitana Ravel : (

Even the bat packs.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Jabbering Idiot posted:

Borderlands (Secure) has kinda had issues with the game mode taking far longer than the other Frontlines ever since they put in the 20 seconds of invulnerability on leaving your base, because its built around exponentially awarding more points to teams that simultaneously hold more and more nodes, but that rez/return invulnerability makes it all but impossible to hold nodes right in front of adversary spawn points.

I'd MUCH rather have longer matches than have to spend 5-15 minutes being bullied in my own spawn by two teams fighting over the point out front like happened in the bad old days

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Borderlands should be reworked, it was bad before pvp 2.0 and abysmal after. But at least it gives no particular rewards unlike the other frontlines maps, so it's easy to just skip it. My frontlines group just takes borderlands days off

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still have a gold cert from Khloe. Would now be a good time to flip it, or wait until people start looking to buy ornates/the prizes rotate?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Vinigre posted:

You won't even need a YouTube tutorial unless you just work that much better with videos than with written guides. I followed this guide and it worked out well for me. To clarify the first paragraph:

1. If you license FFXIV via Steam, go ahead and just install that first.
2. If you license FFXIV via Square Enix, you will at least need the Steam FFXIV Free Trial installed because for some reason it still needs something in Steam to make this go super smooth.

XIVLauncher will be the thing handling the version of Proton to use and such, you won't need to mess around with selecting custom versions or anything. Honestly they've made it pretty streamlined.

Oh, since it's using a third-party launcher, maybe I should wait a day or two after 6.2 comes out to make sure it won't break compatability or what have you? No need to rush in any case, but it's definitely kind of awkward timing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I still have a gold cert from Khloe. Would now be a good time to flip it, or wait until people start looking to buy ornates/the prizes rotate?

Check what comes out after the patch tonight. If they happen to add a new mount that's an easy 8 figure payday assuming you don't want it for yourself. Otherwise new ornate gear, if there is some.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lot of weird changes this patch that will probably make the world first race go kinda quick this time, despite the fact that they usually aim to make the second tier a little harder than the first

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Pollyanna posted:

Ideally you chat up your local datacenter raiding discord a couple weeks before to set up a trade, but MBing a new ornate piece for 20M+ should be doable the first day or two if you can't arrange a purchase. Prices generally drop fast, and its not clear what the savage delay will do.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, time to hunker down since I won't be able to play FFXIV until next week and the internet is gonna be filled with spoilers this week. Hope you guys have fun with the patch! (And hopefully I can at least rush the raid to get the P8 drop before the weekly reset)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Bind the right touchpad as another DPad and you can use DPad skills while moving.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if it’s actually possible to kill Cerberus before he mauls the raid even if you fail chains

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

MechaX posted:

I wonder if it’s actually possible to kill Cerberus before he mauls the raid even if you fail chains

No chance as the stacking damage up he gets is severe.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MechaX posted:

I think he rapidly gets stacks of gently caress You in that state and it would take a genuinely heroic level of full raid DPS to get him close enough to death before the chains that you could finish him off during the soft enrage. Couldn't hurt to build a PF to see if you could do it though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i bet its possible if you stack tons of smns for rezzes. he can only one shot one person at a time.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If you have a group coordinated enough to do that, they wouldn't fail the mechanic in the first place.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I mean why even wait on the chains in the first place, it's not like the fight is hard enough to warrant trying to eke out every second of easy damage possible. Just chain him up and he'll be dead soon anyways

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Awesome! posted:

the only wipes i have had on cerberus in the last year (at least) have been when people hold the chain for "free dps"

there are no circumstances where it is a good idea even if you are confident in the chain timers.

Who would be so dumb as to hold the chains to maximize dps in a loving crystal tower raid only to cause a wipe

Definitely not me

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its me, the tank who spins the ahriman boss around like a top to try sniping healers :troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You fool, if you keep angry man facing the same way the healers still end up walking into it