Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nessus posted:

I have heard this said a bunch of times but it feels really dubious to me, given that One Piece is way more loud and proud about demonstrating "the government loving SUCKS" while also featuring literal criminals as the protagonists, explicitly against the slave-holding tyranny of the World Government. And they run in the same magazine.

I mean one piece also is set in a fantasy pirate seaplanet, whereas the Japanese government in MHA is basically just “the Japanese government from real life, but with superheroes”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Perhaps this is unreasonably conspiratorial of me but it honestly feels like hori had much more interesting ideas he wanted to explore and someone from editorial stopped in to tell him hey there bucko, you should tamp down that lightweight ideological questioning, we don’t want the 12 year olds in the audience to get any ideas here

I think the simpler idea would be that Hori was giving all this lip service to set up that he had big ideas for where to take his characters, but in the end he couldn't figure out a satisfying follow-through, so he just gave up and started falling back on old ideas. AFO being the villain now feels like a cop to the audience pressure of "get rid of the nonthreatening but dynamic villain for the actually threatening but unsophisticated villain", not really an editorial demand, since editorial would be more along the vein of everything involving Bakugo, Hawks and Dabi.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I mean one piece also is set in a fantasy pirate seaplanet, whereas the Japanese government in MHA is basically just “the Japanese government from real life, but with superheroes”
While true it's also a really generalized, 'the fictional institution of heroes exists, and sometimes people fall through the cracks' kind of criticism. They were also willing to show a sympathetic figure get assassinated by a government agent, and that same government agent is still on the team.

Like everything we've seen suggests to me more that Horikoshi was told "Hey wrap it up in 100 chapters. If you really need it we can make that 125?" when his plans would have probably gone a lot longer than that. Maybe it's going to be like Battle Angel and there's going to be My Hero Academia: Leg Day in a few years, that goes for 20 volumes and lets Mirko say "gently caress."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or Hori is dying like most mangaka and is trying to survive to the end.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 22, 2022

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remembing those incredibly unfinished chapters and I wouldn't be surprised...

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, It was much more interesting when AfO was seen as this relic of an older world, more or less accepting his defeat until he realizes he has a final chance to deliver a final gently caress you.

If he was actually a sort of twisted selfless mentor to shiggy in the same way All might was to deku hed be much more interesting than discount Madara.

Hell he could taunt all might about being a better mentor

That would be way better. Hell, the final battle could've been set up with AFO passing on the true actual AFO quirk to Shiggy.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

The Japanese government in chainsaw man, which is "the Japanese government from real life, but with demons" has made a contract that literally kills its own citizens to maintain its place in the global demon arms race. If there's editorial interference, it's significantly more likely to have compressed timelines than changed content for political reasons. Also there's nothing to suggest this isn't just the story Hori wanted to tell, and he's just not that artful at it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nessus posted:

I have heard this said a bunch of times but it feels really dubious to me, given that One Piece is way more loud and proud about demonstrating "the government loving SUCKS" while also featuring literal criminals as the protagonists, explicitly against the slave-holding tyranny of the World Government.

What I have heard is that Shonen Jump doesn't want any more ultra-super-long manga series,

Feeling like these two things might have something to do with each other.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Woozie66 posted:

That would be way better. Hell, the final battle could've been set up with AFO passing on the true actual AFO quirk to Shiggy.

The dumbest part is that he did give Shiggy the original AFO quirk (before Kamino), the one that AFO has now is an artificial copy.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Staltran posted:

The dumbest part is that he did give Shiggy the original AFO quirk (before Kamino), the one that AFO has now is an artificial copy.

Oh god I forgot

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That reveal that Shiggy has the original AFO was such a good character beat too. Then we find out that it was just so AFO could steal his body. Bleh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Woozie66 posted:

"Society is filled with fake heroes, and we want to purge all the selfish people who pretend to care about others."

*countless heroes being slaughtered while they fight to protect innocents*

"Ah, well. Nevertheless. We still want to rule over society. For reasons."

No, the reasoning would go like this: "The good heroes, by protecting the bad heroes, are misguidedly protecting the system that produces those bad heroes. So even if they might be individually noble, they must still be defeated."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The only bad heroes are Hawks and Nagant tho. (Endeavor is a bad person, but a good hero)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stain's definition of a "good hero" is a person who spends 23 hours a day fighting crime and the remaining hour sitting naked on top of a pillar.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Funky Valentine posted:

Stain's definition of a "good hero" is a person who spends 23 hours a day fighting crime and the remaining hour sitting naked on top of a pillar.

or Bakugo as of current chapters

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Bakugo had a lot of heart.

Too bad he lost it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

"Pinning all of our hopes on one superpowered demigod to solve all of our problems was hosed up and wrong, we should be working together to fill All Might's shoes."

*multiple villains appear that are individually more powerful than the combined efforts of an entire army of heroes coordinating together with time to prep the terrain*

"I sure hope our superpowered demigod shows up soon."

Sucks that there's no character with the morals of J Jonah Jameson in here. We need someone seeing this still going 'Man, gently caress heroes I hope AFO wins.'

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FireWorksWell posted:

Bakugo had a lot of heart.

Too bad he lost it.

He could be a little annoying at times, but I kind of like how he wore his heart on his sleeve.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Can't help but feel like something like Jujutsu Kaisen has a pretty strong inherent advantage when it comes to villains. They're just loving evil, so of course they do evil poo poo, and the heroes don't really need to worry about the ethics of fighting them to the death. A series with human villains like MHA has the potential to be more interesting, but it's much harder to write.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Curses in jjk are literally ontologically compelled to be evil and some of them have still had more pathos than whatever the hell is going on with AFOgaraki lately

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
fair enough.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 24, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Can we not do spoilers for other manga in this thread?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I suggest posting Naruto spoilers instead. No one cares about those.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The longer this goes on the more appreciation I have for Naruto's last arcs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

The longer this goes on the more appreciation I have for Naruto's last arcs

I doubt this poo poo is going to go for like five years, but on the other hand there were at least cool/funny parts like Night Guy and the other dead zombie kages largely being weirdo goofballs.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It was all downhill after the Clamkage

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

This is one of the moments I had in mind. Poor Bakugo couldn't even come close and Shigaraki's not using any Quirks yet. Despite the mutation thing

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I doubt this poo poo is going to go for like five years, but on the other hand there were at least cool/funny parts like Night Guy and the other dead zombie kages largely being weirdo goofballs.

I like the one guy telling everyone what attacks he's using so they can dodge and being angry that they still can't see through his complicated skills.

Also Night Guy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I like the one guy telling everyone what attacks he's using so they can dodge and being angry that they still can't see through his complicated skills.

Also Night Guy.

Honestly I was thinking specifically of that guy when I said “funny” parts, I can’t remember which Kage he was but he made me appreciate how Kishimoto can just design some funny goofballs on a whim when he really wants to.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I was thinking specifically of that guy when I said “funny” parts, I can’t remember which Kage he was but he made me appreciate how Kishimoto can just design some funny goofballs on a whim when he really wants to.

Clamkage as mentioned earlier. I'm pretty sure he was a Mizukage. Some fantastic eyebrows.

Oh yeah speaking of funny, wasn't there a quick panel that showed Tenten knocked herself unconscious after trying those powerful chakra tools from the brothers?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FireWorksWell posted:

Clamkage as mentioned earlier. I'm pretty sure he was a Mizukage. Some fantastic eyebrows.

Oh yeah speaking of funny, wasn't there a quick panel that showed Tenten knocked herself unconscious after trying those powerful chakra tools from the brothers?

She was just about to contribute to the plot with one of the Sage's weapons when the Infinite Tsukiyomi hit, yes

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

gently caress

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

oh jay posted:

Remember when Madara said "Limbo" and instantly defeated all nine Tailed Beasts? And remember how that was later explained by saying he created an invisible clone of himself that punched out all the Tailed Beasts?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Seeing some vague spoilers on Twitter and I just want to say that if they're true, this is the funniest thing that's ever happened in this manga.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh jay posted:

lmao

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Seeing some vague spoilers on Twitter and I just want to say that if they're true, this is the funniest thing that's ever happened in this manga.

The leaks usually are out by Thursday, including pictures, so you're probably getting accurate info.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I second this opinion

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

:stoked:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I just looked and yeah it's actually seriously stupid