Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jakabite posted:

In the interests of saving money I’m making my own ham again instead of buying it pre-sliced. Should do this all the time really

Along with the fact that 99% of stuff sold as sliced “ham” is meat slurry piped into loaf cases and baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

In the interests of saving money I’m making my own ham again instead of buying it pre-sliced. Should do this all the time really

Get nice chunky slices that way too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

smellmycheese posted:

Along with the fact that 99% of stuff sold as sliced “ham” is meat slurry piped into loaf cases and baked.

i think it’s less slurry than lots of small pieces of actual pork meat that are enzymatically glued together. i mean the difference is mostly academic but ham doesn’t generally have the texture of hot dogs ime

i love ham. used to help make them as a kid

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can live a really long time on potatoes and butter/cheese which doesn't sound like too bad of an existence all things considered, especially if Truss gets really into cheese production as promised.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You need to throw in some oats or barley every now and again to not get vitamin deficiencies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cheesy chips, cheesy jacket, cheesy mash, yeah i think i could eat that forever.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

piano chimp posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can live a really long time on potatoes and butter/cheese which doesn't sound like too bad of an existence all things considered, especially if Truss gets really into cheese production as promised.

Potatoes and onions if you want to go hardcore... i really hate potatoes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Cheesy chips, cheesy jacket, cheesy mash, yeah i think i could eat that forever.

At least until your arteries clog up.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Potatoes and onions if you want to go hardcore... i really hate potatoes.

Is a life without tatties a life worth living? I would suggest no.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I hope this kid gets a movie deal because god drat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62579788

quote:

A 13-year-old boy carried out burglaries at some of London's top luxury hotels and BBC Television Centre, a court has heard.

The boy admitted to raids on Claridge's in Mayfair, the Corinthian Hotel in Whitehall, and the Milestone and Millennium Hotels in west London.

He appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court where he pleaded guilty to 11 charges of burglary.

His 14-year-old brother also admitted his involvement in two of the raids.

The court heard items stolen during the spree included cash, bank cards, cosmetics, a MacBook, phones and a scooter.

During a burglary at one hotel, the teenager and his 14-year-old brother, then aged 13, obtained the master key and gained access to a number of rooms, the prosecution said.

quote:

The prosecution brought no evidence in relation to a further alleged burglary at a restaurant against both boys, as well as two more alleged incidents at a second restaurant and the Four Seasons Hotel in Park Lane against the younger of the two. Those charges were then dismissed.

The two brothers are due to be sentenced in September.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Communist Thoughts posted:

I love them but drat... Cmon guys. Your anthem is about freeing yourself from the English but you can't bring yourself to tick a box

Actually if the 2014 electorate excluded voters born in England, yes would have won a majority. Once again the Englishman spoils everything.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Things are pretty gloomy at the moment so if you need cheering up here's 9 French antifa routing an entire camp of fascists

https://twitter.com/DaniMayakovski/status/1561304059545636867

You do, in fact, love to see it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Aren't basically all residents in NI eligible for Irish passports too? So any of them could already relocate if they wanted to.

not all residents because some will be relatively recent immigrants. if you're born on the island of ireland you're an irish citizen, although since 2005 there are additional rules concerning your parents' nationalities

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Is a life without tatties a life worth living? I would suggest no.

So far my answer is a resounding yes. :D

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
loyalists choose not to avail of their irish citizenship but they are loving mental

do wonder if some of them these days have a sneaky passport with a big harp on it for to get through the queues easier at airports, mind

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

loyalists choose not to avail of their irish citizenship but they are loving mental

do wonder if some of them these days have a sneaky passport with a big harp on it for to get through the queues easier at airports, mind

Pretty sure a lot of the high up DUP (looking at you young Ian)/ TUV / UUP have them no matter what they say to the masses.

Beliefs are great until you want to go on holiday.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

mediaphage posted:

i think it’s less slurry than lots of small pieces of actual pork meat that are enzymatically glued together. i mean the difference is mostly academic but ham doesn’t generally have the texture of hot dogs ime

i love ham. used to help make them as a kid

I worked in a pork factory one summer as a student and they sure looked like big vats of pork mulch

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

not all residents because some will be relatively recent immigrants. if you're born on the island of ireland you're an irish citizen, although since 2005 there are additional rules concerning your parents' nationalities

On one hand, I'm against restrictive immigration rules. On the other, if it stops a bunch of FBPEs rolling up and declaring themselves Irish I can't blame them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

I worked in a pork factory one summer as a student and they sure looked like big vats of pork mulch

prolly some variation on market niche lol

like the stuff that goes into spam is definitely a slurry held together by gelatine. (not a knock, i like fried spam lol)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mourning Due posted:

Where'd you go? And would you say the national character is different/better? Completely subjective of course.

Ottawa, Canada.

Yeah people are nicer here on average. Things aren't perfect here by any stretch of the imagination but at least I can say that I've lived in two different houses here now and in both of those places all of the neighbours (and I met like, 5 or 6 sets of neighbours at my old place and about the same at my current place) have been really nice and friendly. Same goes for random people you meet e.g. if you're out for a walk or whatever.

It's entirely possible I've just gotten very lucky of course, but then Canadians do typically have a reputation for being friendly.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

mediaphage posted:

prolly some variation on market niche lol

like the stuff that goes into spam is definitely a slurry held together by gelatine. (not a knock, i like fried spam lol)

this is what makes pek pork product the superior squashed meat in a tin imo

although like you, I ain't knocking spam, fuckin spam fritters can get in

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just stuck my first ever HRT patch to my skin a couple of minutes ago.

While I am overjoyed to have got here, I'm actually posting it because I got referred to the GIC four and a half years ago. And which is more, every appointment I've had has gone smoothly and without anyone objecting or questioning me. My GP referred me when I asked, the GIC doctors and staff have not gatekept (Except in the indirect ways that current standards of care demand) etc., I had as easy a time as it's possible to have in terms of that. And it took almost half a decade.

My dysphoria is reasonably low most of the time and I was already a fully testosterone'd adult when I hatched so little further changes could be wrought by it; in short I could stand the wait. But for people with more acute dysphoria or who haven't finished wrong puberty yet? Nightmare scenario. Absolutely disgraceful that the government has hosed things up for a sector of the population so badly, and genuinely hard to wrap my head around the fact a bunch of people think the problem is HRT is too easy to get.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Glad you're finally getting treatment Ms. A, even if it did take far too long.

It should be like, a matter of a few months max.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is loving poo poo aye, but reading that I am still just really happy for you despite that. A small flicker of good news in a churning ocean of poo poo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
how long before we're told we have to start making GBS threads in holes in the ground for the good of the country

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and people start dying of wormes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
poo poo For Victory

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

how long before we're told we have to start making GBS threads in holes in the ground for the good of the country

I've been making GBS threads in holes in the ground my whole life, except for the one I did a couple of hours ago because that was a hole in a plane

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

crispix posted:

Never as that would suggest there is a society or something greater than the individual

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've been making GBS threads in holes in the ground my whole life, except for the one I did a couple of hours ago because that was a hole in a plane
Wondered what just hit my yard with a wet thud :mad:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

You would be surprised.
From the DUP themselves:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/apply-for-irish-passport-if-you-can-advises-dup-mp-ian-paisley-34835231.html

quote:

Mr Paisley, who campaigned strongly with the DUP for a Leave result, surprised many on Twitter when he wrote: "My advice is if you are entitled to a second passport then take one.

"I sign off lots of applications for constituents."

https://www.irishpost.com/news/unionists-dup-voters-applying-irish-passports-due-scare-stories-says-mp-148996

quote:

East Antrim MP and vocal Brexiteer Sammy Wilson said he signs two or three applications for Irish passports every week, with many of them from loyalists and DUP voters.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Ms Adequate posted:

Just stuck my first ever HRT patch to my skin a couple of minutes ago.

While I am overjoyed to have got here, I'm actually posting it because I got referred to the GIC four and a half years ago. And which is more, every appointment I've had has gone smoothly and without anyone objecting or questioning me. My GP referred me when I asked, the GIC doctors and staff have not gatekept (Except in the indirect ways that current standards of care demand) etc., I had as easy a time as it's possible to have in terms of that. And it took almost half a decade.

My dysphoria is reasonably low most of the time and I was already a fully testosterone'd adult when I hatched so little further changes could be wrought by it; in short I could stand the wait. But for people with more acute dysphoria or who haven't finished wrong puberty yet? Nightmare scenario. Absolutely disgraceful that the government has hosed things up for a sector of the population so badly, and genuinely hard to wrap my head around the fact a bunch of people think the problem is HRT is too easy to get.

Congratulations, Ms A and cosign to all o'that. The reality is so insanely baroque and arcane it would make the fiction laughable if it weren't so cruel... 4 years is too long but I'm very glad you got there safely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

crispix posted:

outhouses aren’t too bad all told

the…lovely…thing is digging them in the first place

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

genuinely hard to wrap my head around the fact a bunch of people think the problem is HRT is too easy to get.

Congrats!

And this bit reminds me of my "favourite" tabloid story of "I was able to waltz in an get benefits - no questions asked ...all I had to do was lie convincingly in answer to some questions"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I remember that guy "I got a week of food from a food bank by lying my face off to them, aren't food banks terrible??"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember that too, it wasn't even a benefits office voucher, he went to a church and lied to the priest and the old lady working there and then got a voucher for the food bank and lied to them too.

On Good Friday too iirc, so just in time for them to shift to complaining how the eggs aren't allowed to say Easter on them any more because of the Marxist Muslims without a shred of self-reflection.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on UK inflation expected to hit 18.6%

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

poo poo init

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I remember that too, it wasn't even a benefits office voucher, he went to a church and lied to the priest and the old lady working there and then got a voucher for the food bank and lied to them too.

On Good Friday too iirc, so just in time for them to shift to complaining how the eggs aren't allowed to say Easter on them any more because of the Marxist Muslims without a shred of self-reflection.

If God exists I think this is probably the quickest way of getting on his shitlist short of being an absolute monster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Z the IVth posted:

If God exists I think this is probably the quickest way of getting on his shitlist short of being an absolute monster.

Anyone who would do that is already an absolute monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

mediaphage posted:

outhouses aren’t too bad all told

the…lovely…thing is digging them in the first place

Compost shitters aren't bad either. They smell a lot less than you'd think.