Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AngryBooch posted:

I absolutely loved Control so much that the Alan Wake 2 announcement straight-up disappointed me.

same I just wanted more Control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Control was the best office-destruction sim since FEAR, i feel bad for the haters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Control had fantastic presentation with mind-numbingly dull gameplay.
Sure, throwing chunks of the environment looked very good but that one ability is literally all the gameplay got going for it. I suppose the was one that gameplay section near the end that's pretty neat despite the combat.

I would disagree and say that Control had the best psychic powers gameplay I've ever played.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

zoux posted:

I would disagree and say that Control had the best psychic powers gameplay I've ever played.

I quit pretty much every game I play before I get even halfway through so the fact that I exhausted Control and its DLC completely says something about its gameplay imo.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 22, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I THINK, and this is just my suspicion, that the gameplay haters were trying to play it like a cover shooter and using the gun too much. gently caress the gun!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
max payne 2 was a goat and that was also a basic shooter with gimmicks, sometimes you just need to get the fundamentals down

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zoux posted:

The powers are extremely uninspired. You have like, what, Force Push, Hover, Ground Slam, Mind Control and Shield, and that's it. You can find most of those in basically any action game with powers. Force Push is the stand out one but not because it's mechanically interesting but because they did a good job at building combat arenas around it, there's a lot of impressive looking trash objects for you to throw.
None of the enemies interact in interesting ways with your powers either. They're all just cover shooter enemies, pretty much.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Control is the best game so far that uses SCP like anomalies, don't think there is a game that does it better.
I loved reading all the reports.

And THAT pic of Alan Wake, with the accompanying text from his wife.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Control is the best game so far that uses SCP like anomalies, don't think there is a game that does it better.
I loved reading all the reports.

Yeah, I agree with that. I did play through all of Control and it was purely because I wanted to see more weird SCP poo poo.
The gameplay itself started off as mediocre at first and just went on to being a chore that was in the way of the interesting parts.

In retrospect, I think I would've had a more positive experience with the game if I just watched a playthrough.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack Trades posted:

The powers are extremely uninspired. You have like, what, Force Push, Hover, Ground Slam, Mind Control and Shield, and that's it. You can find most of those in basically any action game with powers. Force Push is the stand out one but not because it's mechanically interesting but because they did a good job at building combat arenas around it, there's a lot of impressive looking trash objects for you to throw.
None of the enemies interact in interesting ways with your powers either. They're all just cover shooter enemies, pretty much.

Okay but what if we gave you a gun and made you fight those boring enemies for the entire duration of the game, would that make it better?

Control's story was interesting if not very creative, but the combat that was most of the gameplay was very tedious. Alan Wake's combat wasn't that great either but at least it was fast.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Too Much Gun User hypothesis bearing out so far...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
skill issue

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in all seriousness "a basic shooter with fun gimmicks and a really stylish story" is basically what i want from Remedy

Max Payne was incredibly basic but it didn't matter much because it was just well done and got the fundamentals down, same with Control. by far the weakest parts of Control are the bits where they tried to make it more complicated (eg the RPG/loot stuff)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
To be honest, I can't think of any powers you could get or use that would be original and wouldn't turn you instantly into Omniman.
The gun was a loving excellent idea, make that an anomaly too, but it went overboard with weapon mods.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Alan Wake is what happens when you give the power to write reality to a guy who can't write but doesn't know it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if i were alan wake i would simply cause the town to be swarmed in catgirls until the residents broke down my door and murdered me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Max Payne was incredibly basic but it didn't matter much because it was just well done and got the fundamentals down, same with Control. by far the weakest parts of Control are the bits where they tried to make it more complicated (eg the RPG/loot stuff)

Max Payne's gameplay was so innovative at the time that it started a decade long trend of bullet time powers in games.
Control's gameplay is pretty much a carbon copy of any modern game that would fall under "action/adventure" umbrella.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I loved everything about control except playing it.

once the wow factor of the physics effects wore off, the gameplay felt extremely boring as it basically stopped evolving past the halfway point. Then there were two DLCs on top of that which made me so sick of the combat that I probably would have enjoyed them more if they’d had literally 0 fights.

game would have benefited from not having fights respawn whatsoever. Just making each fight a bigger setpiece deal that you do once and move on.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yeah, the concept of having a gun that works differently when you try to think about it differently is cool, the execution of defining "differently" as "+2% damage to things to the west of you while you are flying" was not. I loved Control but I didn't always have fun playing it, and I think it would be vastly improved by simply removing anything resembling "loot" and making the enemies not respawn when backtracking (or just limiting the respawning to specific events or something, i.e. the Hiss incursion expanding at story-specific intervals).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Control is not an easy game, and as such i assume anyone calling the gameplay dull or boring was actually just bad at it and probably quit it

flying around, tossing chunks of concrete and rock and interdimensional matter while my compelled minions shoot their friends and i’m swapping between sniping dudes across the map and shooting rockets at others scurrying on the ground below me, yeah, super boring, dude

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

in all seriousness "a basic shooter with fun gimmicks and a really stylish story" is basically what i want from Remedy

Max Payne was "basic" (wait, was it?) in that all you did was shoot mans but said shooting was really satisfying and the mans died quickly. Max Payne 2 just improved on this in every way while also refining the bullet time in very clever ways. Control's loot and leveled enemies were an active detriment to the game.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 22, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Alan Wake absolutely nailed the feeling, writing and characters of Stephen King novel (and that's not entirely a compliment :v: ) and basically allowing you to play through one and for that I will always remember it fondly. I also really liked the whole thing where the enemy was basically darkness and you had to use light to weaken and dispel it, although the idea had definitely more potential than its relatively boring and under-baked execution and if there is one thing I would want from the sequel, it is more extensive and more developed attempt at implementing it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Soul Glo posted:

flying around, tossing chunks of concrete
I mean, really it's this, the weapons all fell off despite me pretty much maxing the DPS on them while the telekinesis remained the only way to quickly dispatch enemies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
E: oops

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thing is Max Payne 1 and 2 is that you had relatively few options and we're only expected to handle at most a handful of mooks at a time because your toolbox was small and focused to a particular style of gameplay. Bullet time is both your offense and your defense and encounters are tuned around you having to know how to get the most bang for that buck.

So it's basic in its construction, but that doesn't mean it was bad. Far from it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Yeah, the concept of having a gun that works differently when you try to think about it differently is cool, the execution of defining "differently" as "+2% damage to things to the west of you while you are flying" was not. I loved Control but I didn't always have fun playing it, and I think it would be vastly improved by simply removing anything resembling "loot" and making the enemies not respawn when backtracking (or just limiting the respawning to specific events or something, i.e. the Hiss incursion expanding at story-specific intervals).

You're completely correct but you know exactly why they added the loot system and the constantly respawning enemies. The game was already 15 hours long with those time wasting systems, if it didn't waste your time with upgrade management and repeat fights then it would've been an even harder sell for 60$.

Soul Glo posted:

Control is not an easy game, and as such i assume anyone calling the gameplay dull or boring was actually just bad at it and probably quit it

[Citation Needed]

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Mordja posted:

I mean, really it's this, the weapons all fell off despite me pretty much maxing the DPS on them while the telekinesis remained the only way to quickly dispatch enemies.

The rocket launcher equivalent could do some good work for clearing out groups, but it was still just the filler while you waited for your telekinesis juice to recharge.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they added them because they're trendy and third person games are expected to have them, which is not a good trend

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really love Control (just finished my second playthrough of it a week or two ago), but the guns/mods are the weakest part of it outside of the darkness mechanics from Alan Wake that are in the AWE DLC. If you max telekinesis pretty quickly it stays amazing for the entire game, while even with the +60-75% damage/explosion radius mods the guns/launchers just can't keep up. I still use the guns some but once you get the triple telekinesis throw there's not much reason not to just use that and maybe mind control an enemy every once in a while. Even the floating enemies that are supposed to be immune to throws you can just quickly throw a second thing at them as they're dodging and they'll die to it just fine. Would have preferred maybe no shield or mind control upgrades because there's not much use in upgrading either and for gun damage to be part of the skill tree if they insisted on keeping that in over bad RNG mods.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imo the best version of what tehy were trying to do with upgrades would have been something like Doom 2016 where each gun has two "flavors" which you can hot-swap between

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Control was the best office-destruction sim since FEAR

This.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
The year is 2022 .
Some games still not letting you choose which monitor to default to . Explain that, atheists .

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I don't know why the same posters in this thread continue to try and convince also the same posters in this thread about their opinions on Control. Some people like it, some people don't like it. But it's always the same arguments and no one ever changes their mind.

Just put the combat settings on whatever you can tolerate and go to town.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jack Trades posted:

[Citation Needed]

Enough people had trouble with Control that the devs added more checkpoints in the Ultimate edition. The difficulty was actually A Thing when it was new and prominent.

I had a much easier time myself on my second playthrough using m+kb on pc compared to playing on a controller on Xbox One at launch. I feel like I would get domed from off camera fairly often.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Pretty much, I got a random +60% damage weapon mod partway through the game (absolute lol that this exists next to “-8% recoil on the shotgun only”) and it was barely enough to make one gun close to par with throwing rocks at things, and throwing rocks is not as exciting as it sounds because it’s exactly as brainless as shooting something except you tap the button twice and less aim is required. so most of the game is just wiping the same enemies over and over with the same ability that isn’t particularly fun because there’s no thought to it, then using a weaker gun for awhile (and the shooting mechanics are no better). pause to hold down the mind control button if you haven’t already I guess

it’s not particularly hard if you lean on how overpowered throwing rocks is, other than a couple obnoxious boss fights, it just doesn’t change enough and the basic mechanics aren’t strong enough to carry it for a full game +2 DLCs of respawning fights

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Runa posted:

Alan Wake is what happens when you give the power to write reality to a guy who can't write but doesn't know it.
Thomas Zane did his best.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

part of the problem with controls difficulty is the random loot system, it's a roll of the dice how hard the game is because it all depends on which good mods you happen to get

by the end you'll be overpowered no matter what but through the early game it can swing the experience pretty significantly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember getting the impression that the extremely half-baked and nonsensically-balanced mods in control were the result of the system just not getting enough time in the oven and that if they’d had more opportunity they would have made it more compelling with interesting options. then I got to the first DLC, a natural opportunity for them to refine the system, and began receiving a new mod type that gave you ~8 pennies when you took melee damage specifically, competing for the same existing mod slots as +20% max health. just lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the first DLC just sucked, you could tell it was by different writers because suddenly Jesse is quipping like a loving Marvel rear end in a top hat

i liked the Alan Wake themed one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I have issues with the Alan Wake style darkness mechanics in AWE tho I found it pretty good overall (probably in large part due to really loving everything about Alan Wake except the gameplay) but I really didn't think Foundation was good at all.