Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I appear to have splurged because I hate money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Soooo Lovely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Looks great, is that an XC bike?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

:fap::flashfap:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

VelociBacon posted:

Looks great, is that an XC bike?

wow, rude.....

our community prefers the term downcountry, thank you

e: it's a kona hei hei cr/dl. 120mm, mostly xc race/endurance by design, but it's still slacker than my 2017 fuel ex was before I accidentally overforked it. It's going to be doing double duty as my race/trail bike and as a UP Michigan gravel bike. Also I guess I have to charge my bike now, so we'll see how that goes.

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 19, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

wow, rude.....

our community prefers the term downcountry, thank you

e: it's a kona hei hei cr/dl. 120mm, mostly xc race/endurance by design, but it's still slacker than my 2017 fuel ex was before I accidentally overforked it. It's going to be doing double duty as my race/trail bike and as a UP Michigan gravel bike. Also I guess I have to charge my bike now, so we'll see how that goes.

Oh cool, I think my dad has an original hei hei.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

The titanium model??

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Who needs money when you've got a sick bike!!

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

Spime Wrangler posted:

owns

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

What the world needs are more big yellow bikes.

Sincerely,
A Yellow Bike Owner

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Spime Wrangler posted:

:krad:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Well my old bike finally gave up the ghost. Rode it too hard for too long. Seals on the forks are gone and drivetrain exploded halfway down the trail. I'm finally forced to get a new bike. I spoke with Kinetik cycles about financing and they said they use a third party company that charges as much interest as a credit card. Kind of surprising, not everybody has 8 grand burning a hole in their pocket. I think my line of credit is like 2 percent or something.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 21, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Over at a German help subreddit, someone asked how to get the bearings out of this thing:

People were speculating whether this is a flywheel of a sewing machine for whatever. Turns out this is a wheel of a "mountain bike".

loving China, man. I'm in awe.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Looking to upgrade from my Honzo and decided to try the longest travel that can still go up hill and did the Santa Cruz factory demo of a megatower. I had a good time, but probably more bike than I need so now I need to try the regular Hightower.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Newsman posted:

Does anyone have opinions on swing out hitch arms for bike racks? e.g. Kuat Pivot, RakAttach or whatever Thule/Yakima offer.

I've got a 1up double and in like 10 years I'll have to install my two add-ons for the kids.

Since I've got car seats in the back, the dog has to stay in the cargo space and tilting the bikes (or even the empty rack) out of the way so I can get the dog out is annoying enough that I think I want to be able to swing it.

I'm space limited in the apartment and no garage so leaving the rack attached in the summer makes it way easier to load the bikes and go.

If you're carrying more than 2 bikes you might want to also look at vertical racks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Had a day at Highland yesterday, first time in 3 years since I don't live in the US and it was awesome. So cool to do trails that last time scared me that this time were totally fine. Also now being able to hit every feature and clear every jump on cats paw was insanely cool. ODB/ODC are pretty chunky too huh?

Only thing that was a downer was that the bike rental was an absolute shitshow. We rented V10s because hell why not, and they were in terrible condition. The forks were in dire need of a service and were bone shaking on the breaking bumps. The brakes were weak as hell for a downhill bike and the worst thing was the shock was wayyyy too soft.

After one lap I took it back to the rental place because it was completely bottoming out on the smallest of drops and jumps, and the back tyre was buzzing the seat it was so soft. The kid at the rental place had no idea, kept telling me it was fine and that they could raise the seat if I wanted. I kept asking him to change the coil or add more compression but he just didn't get it.

Luckily we had some tools in our car so just wound the preload on more and added loads of compression which helped, but that was only after I crashed on a jump thanks to the shock completely bottoming out on takeoff and sending me sideways.

So basically if you can, bring your own bike because the rentals are garbage lol.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Had a day at Highland yesterday, first time in 3 years since I don't live in the US and it was awesome. So cool to do trails that last time scared me that this time were totally fine. Also now being able to hit every feature and clear every jump on cats paw was insanely cool. ODB/ODC are pretty chunky too huh?

Only thing that was a downer was that the bike rental was an absolute shitshow. We rented V10s because hell why not, and they were in terrible condition. The forks were in dire need of a service and were bone shaking on the breaking bumps. The brakes were weak as hell for a downhill bike and the worst thing was the shock was wayyyy too soft.

After one lap I took it back to the rental place because it was completely bottoming out on the smallest of drops and jumps, and the back tyre was buzzing the seat it was so soft. The kid at the rental place had no idea, kept telling me it was fine and that they could raise the seat if I wanted. I kept asking him to change the coil or add more compression but he just didn't get it.

Luckily we had some tools in our car so just wound the preload on more and added loads of compression which helped, but that was only after I crashed on a jump thanks to the shock completely bottoming out on takeoff and sending me sideways.

So basically if you can, bring your own bike because the rentals are garbage lol.

You sustained bodily injury after the bike you rented wasn't set up properly for you, and you had expressed concerns that were dismissed by the business that rented you the equipment?

I know there's a lawyer who reads this thread...

Usually shops will adjust the springrates for the size of the bike, that sucks though. In whistler people say they're often too stiff.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I always bring a few tools when renting a bike if I can. Shock pump and a multi tool can adjust most things that are an issue.

E: what I find crazy is when you go ride a bike to buy it (at least all the shops I have been to) they will look up the recommended settings for your body type and adjust it before you take it for a spin. It takes like 5 min, crazy a rental shop can't do that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The weird thing is that they asked for our weight and height when we booked the bikes so it's not like they didn't know what spring rate to use unless they just assume you're a complete beginner and make everything as soft as possible.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

In whistler people say they're often too stiff.

People often "underestimate" their weight, and as such shops tend to adjust on the stiff side.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

This could maybe go in the competitive cycling thread, but I feel like there are probably more people interested in it here, and we're already chatting about DH bikes and bike parks, so here it goes.

tl;dr: I bought a DH bike and did my first DH race yesterday and it was rad.

Longer story:

I moved to the mountains about 3 years ago and have been getting many many more mtb miles in over the summers in the past 3 years than I ever had before, and getting faster/better by quite a bit (at least, compared to 3 year old self). There are a ton of trails in town, but the vast majority of them are either on Tahoe National Forest land, or Sierra Pacific Industries land.

SPI has a bunch of property surrounding town that they use for logging, but not that often, and they have an official public access policy that allows hiking/biking, etc, and there are a bunch of trails on their plots that are excellent. Technically they don't allow the trail building, but riding the trails is fine, and they definitely know they are there.

However, over the last few years (last three summers) they've started shutting down that public access for the worst part of fire season (like, July through Sept or so).

The TNF has also been doing it (last summer and the summer before), though a smaller window. Those periods of time where both sets of properties have been closed to access are a huge bummer, as about 80% of the riding within a short drive is closed; leaving just one HOA that has their own (public) trail system, and the Northstar bike park.

Northstar allows pedaling up and riding their trails for free, so we started doing that. Then occasionally getting a day pass to get more runs in on the lifts. Then this year, decided to just buy season passes to hedge against fire season closures. So of course since we had the season passes, started riding there once a week or so.

And then I started feeling worried that I was beating my Ripmo up riding it in the park so much, so started thinking about getting a dedicated bike for it. Ultimately decided to sell my hardtail (for sale!), and replace it with a new DH bike, and splurged because I hate money:

And while I was making that decision, I went to the park on a weekend when there happened to be a DH race, part of a series that I had completely forgotten about. So I immediately went home and signed up for each race in the remainder of the series, in the cat 3 / "introduction to racing" category (I missed 2, there were 4 left).

The first race was on River Styx, a trail they built when Northstar was an EWS stop, and the first time I rode it I went over the bars on a steep loose section, so was feeling apprehensive about it. I made a point the last few days I rode there to hit that trail up and gain a bit of confidence, which worked, and I was feeling pretty good about it heading into race day yesterday.

And then I did a practice run the morning of the race, and holy hell it was blown out a lot since I'd ridden it on Thursday (not surprising). I won't lie, it got in my head a little bit, and was kinda nervous about it while waiting around for my start.

I hung out at the start and watched the pros start; right off the bat the first guy just launched up and over a series of rocks in a line that hadn't occurred to me but I felt like I could have ridden, but didn't want to try in a race for the first time without practicing. This concern was validated when the 3rd or 4th guy (also pro) later came down, hit the rock a little more dead on than the others, and stuffed his front wheel into a hole and face planted pretty hard (he was okay). I decided to stick to my practiced line.

Race run, I was wary of the first section of the course (first ~2 minutes of the run) because it was the most rocky and loose, and sure enough lost traction on the same dusty section I had previously gone OTB on and ran shoulder first into a tree. Got back up and kept going, though was a bit out of the right headspace and a little bit later made a dumb line choice heading into a left turn; was looking for a fast line through rocks without thinking about setting up for a sharp turn and went inside without leaving enough space for a fast turn and lost a bunch of speed.

Felt pretty good after that and then entered a section they'd just added a week ago to bring us back into the pro/cat1 course, so I wasn't very familiar with it. Felt like I did reasonably well, except for one crucial wider section with a bunch of line choices where I did the worst possible thing and stuffed my wheel into a rock and pretty much stopped.

The rest of the run was fast and smooth and stuff I'd ridden a bunch of times before so just pinned it the best that I could. Ended up in 3rd in my category (out of 4 starters, lol),; I think I could have gotten 2nd with a clean run barely, but 1st was well out of reach.

Super exhausting, I haven't made an all-out effort for that long in a very long time and I was coughing for about an hour afterwards, probably dust inhalation having something to do with it. But awesomely fun, a great scene, I got to know everyone I raced against while chit chatting in the start area.

My full face helmet has a gopro mount right on the visor so my gopro basically lives there, so of course I recorded it. I'm sure there are some folks here who could give some tips! Heckling/advice welcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOL4wCagf4

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

This could maybe go in the competitive cycling thread, but I feel like there are probably more people interested in it here, and we're already chatting about DH bikes and bike parks, so here it goes.

tl;dr: I bought a DH bike and did my first DH race yesterday and it was rad.

Longer story:

I moved to the mountains about 3 years ago and have been getting many many more mtb miles in over the summers in the past 3 years than I ever had before, and getting faster/better by quite a bit (at least, compared to 3 year old self). There are a ton of trails in town, but the vast majority of them are either on Tahoe National Forest land, or Sierra Pacific Industries land.

SPI has a bunch of property surrounding town that they use for logging, but not that often, and they have an official public access policy that allows hiking/biking, etc, and there are a bunch of trails on their plots that are excellent. Technically they don't allow the trail building, but riding the trails is fine, and they definitely know they are there.

However, over the last few years (last three summers) they've started shutting down that public access for the worst part of fire season (like, July through Sept or so).

The TNF has also been doing it (last summer and the summer before), though a smaller window. Those periods of time where both sets of properties have been closed to access are a huge bummer, as about 80% of the riding within a short drive is closed; leaving just one HOA that has their own (public) trail system, and the Northstar bike park.

Northstar allows pedaling up and riding their trails for free, so we started doing that. Then occasionally getting a day pass to get more runs in on the lifts. Then this year, decided to just buy season passes to hedge against fire season closures. So of course since we had the season passes, started riding there once a week or so.

And then I started feeling worried that I was beating my Ripmo up riding it in the park so much, so started thinking about getting a dedicated bike for it. Ultimately decided to sell my hardtail (for sale!), and replace it with a new DH bike, and splurged because I hate money:

And while I was making that decision, I went to the park on a weekend when there happened to be a DH race, part of a series that I had completely forgotten about. So I immediately went home and signed up for each race in the remainder of the series, in the cat 3 / "introduction to racing" category (I missed 2, there were 4 left).

The first race was on River Styx, a trail they built when Northstar was an EWS stop, and the first time I rode it I went over the bars on a steep loose section, so was feeling apprehensive about it. I made a point the last few days I rode there to hit that trail up and gain a bit of confidence, which worked, and I was feeling pretty good about it heading into race day yesterday.

And then I did a practice run the morning of the race, and holy hell it was blown out a lot since I'd ridden it on Thursday (not surprising). I won't lie, it got in my head a little bit, and was kinda nervous about it while waiting around for my start.

I hung out at the start and watched the pros start; right off the bat the first guy just launched up and over a series of rocks in a line that hadn't occurred to me but I felt like I could have ridden, but didn't want to try in a race for the first time without practicing. This concern was validated when the 3rd or 4th guy (also pro) later came down, hit the rock a little more dead on than the others, and stuffed his front wheel into a hole and face planted pretty hard (he was okay). I decided to stick to my practiced line.

Race run, I was wary of the first section of the course (first ~2 minutes of the run) because it was the most rocky and loose, and sure enough lost traction on the same dusty section I had previously gone OTB on and ran shoulder first into a tree. Got back up and kept going, though was a bit out of the right headspace and a little bit later made a dumb line choice heading into a left turn; was looking for a fast line through rocks without thinking about setting up for a sharp turn and went inside without leaving enough space for a fast turn and lost a bunch of speed.

Felt pretty good after that and then entered a section they'd just added a week ago to bring us back into the pro/cat1 course, so I wasn't very familiar with it. Felt like I did reasonably well, except for one crucial wider section with a bunch of line choices where I did the worst possible thing and stuffed my wheel into a rock and pretty much stopped.

The rest of the run was fast and smooth and stuff I'd ridden a bunch of times before so just pinned it the best that I could. Ended up in 3rd in my category (out of 4 starters, lol),; I think I could have gotten 2nd with a clean run barely, but 1st was well out of reach.

Super exhausting, I haven't made an all-out effort for that long in a very long time and I was coughing for about an hour afterwards, probably dust inhalation having something to do with it. But awesomely fun, a great scene, I got to know everyone I raced against while chit chatting in the start area.

My full face helmet has a gopro mount right on the visor so my gopro basically lives there, so of course I recorded it. I'm sure there are some folks here who could give some tips! Heckling/advice welcome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOL4wCagf4

Hell yeah! Good work! Watched the video, that's a Looooooooong DH course, drat. Tons of pedaling in the first 1/3 as well.

I'm not a professional rider (haven't raced in years) and don't really have any grounds to offer advice but I noticed you holding your breath a lot - one of the things that was drilled into me is to do like 3/4s in and 3/4 seconds out and just try to get that automatic the whole time you're riding. Easier said than done but you looked great on that lap. I think it's always tempting to do stuff you didn't practice in a race run because adrenaline etc. You did the right thing by riding what you practiced.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Hell yeah! Good work! Watched the video, that's a Looooooooong DH course, drat. Tons of pedaling in the first 1/3 as well.

I'm not a professional rider (haven't raced in years) and don't really have any grounds to offer advice but I noticed you holding your breath a lot - one of the things that was drilled into me is to do like 3/4s in and 3/4 seconds out and just try to get that automatic the whole time you're riding. Easier said than done but you looked great on that lap. I think it's always tempting to do stuff you didn't practice in a race run because adrenaline etc. You did the right thing by riding what you practiced.

Thanks! Yeah, it did seem pretty long, though of course shorter if you're faster. The fastest time on the Cat 2/3 course (a bit longer due to a routing around a rock garden) was 5:39, and the fastest time on the Pro/1 course was 4:13.

Breathing is a good thought; I'll be honest it's something I've thought about in this context approximately not at all, but almost certainly doesn't help with how tired I got towards the end of the run. Stoked for the next few races; the next two will be on much faster easier terrain (one of them is just one long jump line, no tech at all), so that'll be different.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

New bars came in!

The FasstCo Flexx MTB DH bars. They use an elastomer to take the edge off. I ordered these through a local rally moto shop and they threw a coffee crisp in the box which is some dope poo poo.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bars look a bit soft, might be hard to hold on to.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Also bars with eyes kinda freak me out. And what's that extra, wavy one for?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

Also bars with eyes kinda freak meowt. And what's that extra, wavy one for?

fixed

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I too hate money

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
drat thats nice. I assume thats the steel?

Steel hardtails are beautiful.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Taiwanese-made steel. It's the lowest end version, which is still very nice. Beautiful welds. It was a very lucky ebay find.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

I too hate money

eBay Sherpa meet your distant cousin PinkBike Sherpa.

Poor bike is currently in an awkward phase where he's being forced to break in a pair of his big brothers overly chunky tires until his indecisive owner decides on a new set of tires. If anyone has any suggestions on new rubber please let me know. Previously had a dissector/aggressor combo but not having much luck with maxxis longevity this year.

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 27, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Longevity has more to do with durometer than brand. What compound are the tires you're not happy with?

On a trail bike I'd just get high rollers or something.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Longevity has more to do with durometer than brand. What compound are the tires you're not happy with?

On a trail bike I'd just get high rollers or something.

Aggressor was dual compound. Started tearing knobs and eventually got leaks where they used to be. Never experienced this before so not sure if it was defective. I'm generally pretty nice to tires.

Dissector was maxterra, just wore down quickly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Heading to snow summit tomorrow, any goons gonna be there by chance?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I've ridden the hell out of two Assegais this year and they're holding up well so far. My partner demoed a Stumpy with Butchers up front and something else in the back and really liked how they felt

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Eliminator maybe?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Drove out from the lowland Midwest to Denver and my rear brake drained itself as soon as I pulled the trigger on a ride today. I refuse to believe the elevation change to a mere mile can gently caress up the pressure balance so I'm going to just assume poo poo seals (Shimano) and go buy new. Still though! Wtf!

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
My stumper was specced with butcher/eliminator and I just.. keep buying them. They’re great, and cheaper than maxxis.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what's the spec equivalent of a dissector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Car Hater posted:

Drove out from the lowland Midwest to Denver and my rear brake drained itself as soon as I pulled the trigger on a ride today. I refuse to believe the elevation change to a mere mile can gently caress up the pressure balance so I'm going to just assume poo poo seals (Shimano) and go buy new. Still though! Wtf!

I've gone from 5000 to about 13 without that happening. Probably just lovely seals. Any damage to the housing or calipers?