Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean it's only time consuming in the sense that it takes you a number of hours, but at the end of it you have killed hundreds of zombies you couldn't reasonably kill one at a time in the same span, even with guns.

That's true, but it's also true that walking in circles for 20 real life minutes is boring.

Under what circumstances do you wake up before a full night's sleep? I had a long-lived character that probably had insomnia, if that's a thing, but no night terrors who woke up at 2:40 am no matter what time I went to sleep. He died and my next character went to the same house immediately and did the same thing. It was the group of three houses in the far north of West Point where I don't think I've ever seen a zombie. What can cause a character to wake up?

Also, if I sleep in a not-totally-safe place, will I wake up if something tries to come in the door? I vaguely remember waking up surrounded by zombies in an early version of the game, but haven't had it happen since then. Can you even be attacked in your sleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
House might be haunted

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Probably an alarm clock in a dresser drawer

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

SexyBlindfold posted:

The one advice I can give is not to rule out the possibility of stocking up certain resources exclusively from merchants (or other players, if you're in MP). If you have a merchant right next to your base and a handful more within a day's travel or less, you're pretty much set up to make ungodly amounts of gears after a little while of dedicated crafting (selling lanterns, gems and some clothing items tends to be quite profitable, but my guy accepts bread so I made a six-oven kitchen that basically bakes money). The merchant prices seem steep at first but I've saved incalculable hours of mining and grinding by buying nearly all my bronze tools, plus lime and salt.

Also if you've already started mechanization you should get yourself a helve hammer, it's basically plate hammering on autopilot. The one negative is it doesn't store the output when done (or churn it out from a predictable direction so you can funnel it into a chest, like a blocked quern does) so you'll have to be around to pick it up when it's done.

e: anyway here's what I've been chiseling:

That's pretty cool. I never got into the chiseling in VS, is it possible to break those blocks and replace them somewhere else, or does every chiseled piece have to be worked on site?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
You can pick up and move chiseled blocks just fine.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Even if I'm relying on Vintage Story traders, having enough lime to do what I need generally isn't an issue. Maybe 1 in 4 playthroughs I actually have a chalk or limestone biome close enough to utilize the massed amounts. You don't need much lime to make a ton of mortar, and leather needs can generally be satisfied with trader lime... though with the addition of bears in 1.17 I'm finding that I've got a ton of leather that needs processing. 5 huge hides fill a barrel, in comparison to the... 12? of medium hides from wolves. Each bear also has dropped 3 huge hides for me. My kid likes to watch me play sometimes and decreed I'm not allowed to kill wild rabbits, sheep, or pigs. Only if I domesticate them first. Which means that usually, I'm hide limited lmao.

Salt though? gently caress finding salt. Halite spawns in a rather weird orientation (a large vertical spike referred to as a salt dome) a few layers under rock in sedimentary layers or in the desert as a single layer or something (salt flat) under the sand. Having usually been nowhere close to the true deserts I've not tried going for the latter, but the former (given halite doesn't pop up on local prospecting pick search) is a pain to find. Sad too that sylvite apparently spawns in those spikes, as having a nice source of potash for the potassium fertilizer would be absolutely excellent with the great crops that grow with potassium as primary (flax, soybean, carrot, rice). Even while having "good" halite hits I've yet to find a salt dome.

Luckily making do with the trader for salt needs - cheese making - is entirely possible. You just don't get to enjoy salted meat unless you really buy tons from them. The commodities trader will also have some potash on occasion, but largely it's a bonus rather than a "cover your farmland" as bone meal and eventually compost becomes.

I'd love it if they figured out a way to do the copy/paste of chiseled blocks in creative mode over to survival, somewhat similar to the, "copy last layer" of clay making. It'd be neat to have less hassle to make pretty stone lamp posts all over the place :kimchi:

I would like to find a ton of meteoric iron for shits and giggles, but digging a few blocks in every depression is... tedious even by Vintage Story standards.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Can you evaporate sea water for salt, or am I thinking of TerraFirmaCraft?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Well VS has a pretty active modding community, some of which have you covered on those areas. Workbench expansion adds a table that can make copies of chiseled blocks, provided you have materials and chisels to spare. Expanded foods lets you make a bit of salt by boiling a lot of water (VS doesn't distinguish between water sources, so just any water), but that might make it too easy (it also adds a shitload of tasty foods and condiments). Lichen adds an alternative path to leatherworking which doesn't require borax/lime.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 20, 2022

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The expanded foods salt making feels pretty balanced last time I played, since you get like, one salt from a full cauldron which takes forever to fully boil.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arven posted:

I think that's right, even if you aren't hearing it there's an alarm nearby that's going off and waking up your character. That's the only explanation for a consistent and exact time of wakeup every day.

Alarms are pretty handy but not when they're waking you up in the middle of the night

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Arven posted:

That makes sense, I usually don't do more than glance at dressers and wardrobes and the bedroom is large so I probably just can't hear it.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Regarding Vintage Story, I was enjoying the grind of searching for iron until I wasn't anymore, and also winter hit and it turned out that my house was too big to count as enclosed. I need to read up on what is required to survive winter - I had food stocks enough but no winter clothes. I read that rooms can only be max 7x7x7 tiles with doors (and not trap doors) so my 3-floor house which used trapdoors was too big and even though I had a campfire going my dude was shivering constantly. Despite the kind of lame ending I did learn more this time around - like the fact that regularly repairing your own clothes is important and it takes a lot of flax, the room size thing, winter is cold etc. I'll probably do another run once the next version comes along (soonish I hope?) and hopefully survive longer.

As far as the prospecting goes, I think it could be drastically improved by being clearer about what it reports - like I've stood in front of copper and done the density search and it said there was no copper somehow - and also by covering a larger range. It would be a big improvement if it showed the same data it does now, but instead of just for your current chunk it would show the neighbouring ones in a + pattern. I mainly want to see the change in the readings between chunks to find the local maximums and running around digging holes gets tedious. Maybe using the node search mode but with a high setting like 50+ would work ok?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I believe the default prospecting behavior matches tfc: something like 2/3rds of blocks will always say nothing nearby, you have to sample several to get an accurate read

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Koobze posted:

Maybe using the node search mode but with a high setting like 50+ would work ok?

Oof I shudder to think about the performance impact of a node search area that large. That is a whole hell of a lot of blocks to search.

E: Having burned up the durability of two shears pruning pine trees on a search for resin and finding 2 whole trees with a resin spot, I'm cheating myself some. gently caress that.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 22, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vintage Story prospecting pick density search (which needs three rocks to "triangulate")doesn't pick up surface deposits of copper or tin, which are generated separately from the deeper ores. Node search (one rock broken and you get a reading) is the one that detects specific blocks in a defined radius, but you need to toggle between the two different prospecting pick modes. In default setting, the node search is off, so you need to specifically go turn it on when creating the world to have access to node search in game. You can also use a command in chat to activate it after world creation.

The best survival clothing are the fur clothes, which are very easy to make and with the change to hide sizes in 1.17, far, far easier to obtain. Sometimes though you just live in a place where even those are insufficient in the coldest nights, so you build campfires to be near you. I've not actually thought about total room heating, just something close by. But I too like to make giant rooms, so that might be my issue there.

Prospecting Info mod saves the density search (so what the chunk was designed on) to your map so you can see where a chunk is and where to dig next. You hone the general area with density search, then you drop shafts and use node search.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I also started a Vintage Story 1.17 game recently. Tin is as rare as I remember, but thankfully I got lucky and found good amounts of Bismuth and Zinc only a day away from my house.

Koobze posted:

Regarding Vintage Story, I was enjoying the grind of searching for iron until I wasn't anymore, and also winter hit and it turned out that my house was too big to count as enclosed. I need to read up on what is required to survive winter - I had food stocks enough but no winter clothes. I read that rooms can only be max 7x7x7 tiles with doors (and not trap doors) so my 3-floor house which used trapdoors was too big and even though I had a campfire going my dude was shivering constantly. Despite the kind of lame ending I did learn more this time around - like the fact that regularly repairing your own clothes is important and it takes a lot of flax, the room size thing, winter is cold etc. I'll probably do another run once the next version comes along (soonish I hope?) and hopefully survive longer.

As mentioned, the furs are amazing and only need hides and fat. If you find that 7x7 rooms are a bit too constricting, what you could do is only build one room that size and everything else normally, and then try to spend most of your time in that "warming" room during winter.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Project Zomboid( and modding) scene is severely lacking in the most common sense item that seems to be missing from every Zombie related media:

Bicycles

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
State of Decay 2 just dropped their 30th patch, might hop in, good as time as any. Mostly quality of life stuff it seems.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/495420/view/3419938619415506892

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Some of the QoL is actually pretty nice tbh, having been playing with a friend and solo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This looks OK

quote:

Sunkenland is an exciting post-apocalyptic survival and exploration game set in the near future when the ice caps melted, and global warming submerged most of the land. Explore sunken cities, build your base, craft items, trade, fight pirates, mutants and warlords as you struggle to survive on a water world plagued by hunger and violence.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2080690/Sunkenland/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgc3-wgbRDs

But then I was also dumb enough to buy this
Which is pretty much the same thing but pure unfinished junk
https://store.steampowered.com/app/617030/Landless/

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

so basically Raft but gritty and realistic. I can dig it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It looks fun but yeah I know better than to be first in with any of these. I do wonder how you control your little boat while shooting but eh :shrug:
e: who am I kidding Subnautica gave me crippling heebie jeebies

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
You know I never thought about building a wintering room. It makes some amount of sense though. It would be cooler if you could just... heat a larger space with more fuel/fires/etc.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Protocol7 posted:

State of Decay 2 just dropped their 30th patch, might hop in, good as time as any. Mostly quality of life stuff it seems.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/495420/view/3419938619415506892

every time i uninstall this game to free up some hd space they drop another huge patch :negative:

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Away all Goats posted:

The Project Zomboid( and modding) scene is severely lacking in the most common sense item that seems to be missing from every Zombie related media:

Bicycles

:goonsay: ackshually Braven's Bicycles

e: but seriously I really rate this mod, especially for stealthy burglar runs

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

You know I never thought about building a wintering room. It makes some amount of sense though. It would be cooler if you could just... heat a larger space with more fuel/fires/etc.

I agree, and in my current playthrough I've given up on the +1 degree bonus so that I'm less restricted. With a full set of cloths and furs, I'm just warm enough during winter anyway.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Just make a home in the tropics, the water has bioluminescent plankton there anyway which is really neat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Are you ready for a Triple A open world survival MMO in Frank Herbert's DUNE setting :pervert:

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1562141882565754881

e: steam listing

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172710/Dune_Awakening/

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 24, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

cant wait to squeeze the juices outta my homies when they die

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can I become a sandworm?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Press X to drink your own waste

EDIT: I feel like Arakkis is a terrible setting for a survival game, since so much of surviving on Arrakis is ingrained into the technology. You don't need to scrounge for water because most of your water is from your stillsuit. There's not much wildlife to face off of besides the worms. I'm struggling to think of what the actual survival aspects will look like.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 24, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Azhais posted:

Can I become a sandworm?

I guess that depends a lot on how long the servers stay up

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I will never insert the words Funcom and MMO into my life ever again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Kvlt! posted:

EDIT: I feel like Arakkis is a terrible setting for a survival game, since so much of surviving on Arrakis is ingrained into the technology. You don't need to scrounge for water because most of your water is from your stillsuit. There's not much wildlife to face off of besides the worms. I'm struggling to think of what the actual survival aspects will look like.

The second thing is what bothers me more than the first. What does the actual resource gathering loop look like. You're not going to have a bunch of trash mobs to harvest meat from to roast on the campfire.

I imagine this is going to be much more of an MMO than a survival game, with them talking about deploying spice harvesters and having vehicle battles and poo poo.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Get 100 spices for $99! Blueberry flavor stillsuit for 48 spices!

Everyone else dies or stuck in the village until they can afford one from farming blueberries.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kvlt! posted:

If it ends up like "survival mmo" games of the past then it'll probably end up being "sometimes you have to eat, also don't get caught in a sandstorm". But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hideo Kojima already made an MMO game which captured the best parts of traversing a desolate wasteland and called it Death Stranding :colbert:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

OgNar posted:

I will never insert the words Funcom and MMO into my life ever again.

Good policy. Funcom has a long and unbroken tradition of putting the FU in fun.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Please just go back to making The Secret World, Funcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Donnerberg posted:

Good policy. Funcom has a long and unbroken tradition of putting the FU in fun.
Conan's a good time, but then again that's not an MMO.