Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Genthil posted:

GOG is also doing that thing were a limited amount of digital copies of a game are available at a large discount every six hours. I remember Steam doing something like this with their Summer/Winter sales years ago and hating it. With that said I managed to get the base version of Frostpunk at 85% off last night. As of posting this, there's 8000 copies of LEGO Batman 3 at 89% off.

Those sales are probably the reason I have such a large backlog of games on GOG.

I though they were fun, thought I was glad when both they and Steam stopped doing deals like that, because constantly watching the store pages for good deals throughout the night was probably not good for my health. Plus, GOG still owes me $1.49, because I tried and failed to buy one of the copies of Startopia, but they still charged me for it.

orcane posted:

Is that the sort of sale that had, uh, Jack Keane (?) up for ages, relatively, because no one bought that even discounted?

I remember I went to eat dinner around the time it was up, and I kept running back to the computer to see if it was about to run out, and the next offer was about to start.

It was up for like four hours before all the copies were sold.

My god, has it really been nine years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

orcane posted:

Is that the sort of sale that had, uh, Jack Keane (?) up for ages, relatively, because no one bought that even discounted?

nah, this one has a timeout regardless of "stock levels"

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I though they were fun, thought I was glad when both they and Steam stopped doing deals like that, because constantly watching the store pages for good deals throughout the night was probably not good for my health.

That's pretty much why I hated it. :v:

Max Wilco posted:

God I still remember that like it was yesterday. :shepface:

Genthil fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 14, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Genthil posted:

Me too. About that time, I owned all but 5 or 6 games on GOG. This was before they started spewing out a lot more indy darling games, new AA releases and things that have been on Steam for years, though.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Genthil posted:

GOG knows exactly how to help me recapture my youth, and putting Jack Keane up on a flash sale is their ace up the sleeve

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Genthil posted:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

orcane posted:

Yep, I remember how hilarious that poo poo was.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Max Wilco posted:

It was up for like four hours before all the copies were sold.

Was it really four hours only? I thought it was up like six hours or so (like an entire night/evening), and GOG lowered the price (IIRC) even further to try to entice people to buy it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Was it really four hours only? I thought it was up like six hours or so (like an entire night/evening), and GOG lowered the price (IIRC) even further to try to entice people to buy it.

I could have sworn it was closer to 8 hours.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

IIRC it came up multiple times

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Testekill posted:

I could have sworn it was closer to 8 hours.

Yeah, it was like an entire day in the US it felt like.

Oh, no, it was 5 hours from what I remember for sure. You went to bed at like 2AM when it popped up and it was still on sale around 7-8AM on the East Coast of the US.

...I don't know about multiple times. But I do know people were starting to leave fake 5-star reviews to try to get people to buy it. It was chaos.

Reviews are still up even. Just look for November 2013 and have fun.

AnonymouseNo5 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 14, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
2013 :laffo: :ohdear:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The last couple of years have broken my perception of time completely, and I don't think it's just because I'm getting older. I would've sworn Jack Keane was like 4 years ago.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 14, 2022

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The best part of the initial Jack Keane fiasco was when, for a sale of the same style the following year, they briefly put up 18,000 copies of Jack Keane as a joke before removing it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

li'l easter egg on gog.com

Type the konami code using the arrow keys and b and a

Not much, but it's cute.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

li'l easter egg on gog.com

Type the konami code using the arrow keys and b and a

Not much, but it's cute.

That made me smile.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

The next game that's free for a limited time is BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION (yes, the title is apparently in all caps). I didn't know this game existed until now but skimming the store page it looks like an isometric point and click adventure made by people who really like Fallout 1 and 2.

Also a couple days ago GOG added their own ready-to-go version of Daggerfall Unity.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oh cool, I remember there was some hype surrounding this game when it was released. It didn't quite live up to the expectations but for free I'll take it.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Oh cool, I remember there was some hype surrounding this game when it was released. It didn't quite live up to the expectations but for free I'll take it.

Yeah. Daggerfall was quite the controversial title.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/what_have_we_learned_since_our_previous_insomnia_promo_events_d3db3 posted:

2. Reviews don’t lie – Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within is a great game
During the 2014 Fall Insomnia event, people were wondering for almost 4 hours if they were even worthy of buying such a gem. After that our forum was flooded with positive reviews (5 stars each!) from people who claimed that Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within simply changed their lives. “JACK IS LOVE! JACK IS LIFE” stated our users, “The Keaning is happening” wrote others.

After such a reception, the game sold in no time. Of course, during this Insomnia Promo, we also have some hidden gems for you to discover. ;)

Calling it right now, the last freebie is going to be Jack Keane 2

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speaking of, the current freebie for the next hours is Flashback. Redeem it from the homepage if you don't have it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

doctorfrog posted:

Calling it right now, the last freebie is going to be Jack Keane 2

The perfect troll

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

VirtuaVerse is the latest free game.

..I have no idea what to expect from it

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

MysticalMachineGun posted:

VirtuaVerse is the latest free game.

..I have no idea what to expect from it

Probably a decent soundtrack by MASTER BOOT RECORD.

I've had my eye on it for a while just for that fact. This was a nice surprise, thanks for the heads up.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Warhammer 40k Space Marine is now available along with a sale on all Warhammer games.

https://www.gog.com/en/promo/20220720_warhammer_sale

Dawn Of War will also be available soon.

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.
When's Dark Omen coming to gog? I mean, they have Shadow of the horned rat but not it's superior sequel.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
BGDA2 is $30 again :suicide:

I'm still going to buy it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

orcane posted:

BGDA2 is $30 again :suicide:

I'm still going to buy it.

I did and I don't regret it. I rather wish that I had skipped DA1, though. I still can't believe that a lot of people in the PS2/XBox era preferred 1 to 2. The only thing I miss from DA1 is a character who is a traditional magic-user. The equivalent in DA2 plays very differently.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They released BGDA1 on consoles, 2 on GOG. Is the PC version at least patched for modern resolutions?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guillermus posted:

They released BGDA1 on consoles, 2 on GOG. Is the PC version at least patched for modern resolutions?

Same platforms for both; I have the Switch version. The Sony version was/is delayed for ?reasons? and I'm sure that it came out on a Microsoft platform too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Turok and Turok 2 have ok price drops. Time to finish Turok 2 after abandoning it in the swamps the late nineties.* :getin:

* or get sick of it in the swamps again and quit

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I remember there was a C&C thread but it looks like it died a long time ago...

For giggles, I recorded a cover of Hell March. I figured this thread full of fans of Good Old Games might appreciate it.

It was actually a lot of fun re-watching a bunch of the old cutscenes from the original Red Alert. My god there was some appalling acting, but a surprising budget in those videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv-DnIeOrVU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A metal cover of a video game metal song? That won’t do, take it back and redo in a cappella or ska.

Kidding of course. Always neat to see it done again.

The original’s FMV cutscenes always surprise me in how straightforward and kind of boring they are. Some people, a room, telling you what’s happening or what to do. They’re easy to forget even compared to C&C3 which was also just telling the player what to do but instead it’s Michael Ironside.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I thiiiink there's a C&C/classic RTS thread in Retro Games?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

A metal cover of a video game metal song? That won’t do, take it back and redo in a cappella or ska.

A Capella Hell March would be an awful lot of "Dundadundundadun..." and it would be amazing.

I assume you've seen Van Canto but if not....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKAzE8nVft8

quote:

The original’s FMV cutscenes always surprise me in how straightforward and kind of boring they are. Some people, a room, telling you what’s happening or what to do. They’re easy to forget even compared to C&C3 which was also just telling the player what to do but instead it’s Michael Ironside.

Static camera angle, one set, actors mugging to the camera as much as possible...It's glorious. However I've seen TV shows and movies with significantly worse acting.

...Not that the cutscenes are Speilburg quality, but they held up better than I expected!

Thanks for the kind words :)

kirbysuperstar posted:

I thiiiink there's a C&C/classic RTS thread in Retro Games?

And what exactly are you suggesting by this? That now Red Alert is old? That I'm now old? How dare you attack me with such accuracy. Once I finish doing the dishes I'm gonna give you a darn stern talking to about respecting your eld-erm....people.

(Thanks for the tip! Didn't see an active one, but there's a megathread for SUPPOSEDLY OLD RTS games that I'll drop it in ;) )

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There's a free goodies collection available - it's just artbook and soundtrack stuff from the Witcher and Cyberpunk, no actual games that I can see.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Big sale with 'insomnia' deals going on now. Is the giveaway for Stasis worth picking up? It kind of looks something like an adventure game in the vein of Sanitarium.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Crowdfunded game by a creative team of two brothers, they also made Beautiful Desolation, another isometric 2D game.

Sanitarium was one of their inspirations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Kangra posted:

Big sale with 'insomnia' deals going on now. Is the giveaway for Stasis worth picking up? It kind of looks something like an adventure game in the vein of Sanitarium.

Played it a while ago. The gameplay is too simplistic for an actual P&C game, it's not scary enough to be a horror game, the story is forgettable, and the main character constantly emotes at the player instead of letting them appreciate whatever's going on at any time. But that's just like my opinion.

It's something like 7 hours, so relatively short? https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=22551

Edit: It is nice to look at.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

They added Dink Smallwood to the free old games pile. Takes me back to my AOL days.

Insomnia Deals are now an hour long.