Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something to keep in mind is that the very notion of “government corruption” is an intensely modern one. The notion that you shouldn’t personally profit off your official position would be loving bizarre to most people in history. Note that this doesn’t mean you’re stealing from the state - that was taken very seriously indeed by many - but poo poo like bribes, kickbacks, running a business on the side that you give contracts to in your official capacity, etc was considered normal. Hell it was overtly the way the system was designed to work in poo poo like tax farming systems. Then you have things like government positions being bought and sold as a normal practice. As in you’d purchase the privilege to be Grand Lord of Cheese Measurements from the government. You did so because the expectation was that you were making an investment and would be able to recoup your expenditure and then some using the power of the office

Spitballing massively but I’d hazard a guess that at least in an American / English / German context the basic notion that government officials should be impartial and not enrich themselves using their office is a early 19th century development.

What exactly led to the change, then? Also in general it'd be interesting regardless to have a breakdown on ways early modern or medieval corruption actually worked. And on that note...

Epicurius posted:

It's not really what you're looking for, but read Plunkitt of Tammany Hall, which is George Plunkitt talking about New York politics. He does talk about corruption and what's ok and what's not. Here are his thoughts about honest and dishonest graft.

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/~bennet/graft.html

This is interesting! One of the things I find striking about corruption is that despite it being generally reviled and considered a bad thing, when you break it down it's often friends doing favors for friends in a system of mutual reliance and dependence, which in any other context most people would probably consider to be a positive thing. Which ties in with what Cyrano was saying above about how it's generally expected prior to relatively recent times - so again, I wonder what changed exactly that "doing favors for friends" started being viewed as more and more unacceptable? I get the impression also that this ties into what makes corruption so hard to eradicate - exhortations to do better for the sake of the state falls on deaf ears when doing so means being kind of a dick to the people you know and work with, and who in the context of the existing system of graft would consider not participating in the graft to be sort of a dick move.

Xiahou Dun posted:

A 甓 is more like a paving stone at this point, not like a modern brick.

Also hot drat they're really laying it on thick with this translation. I loving hate how they insist on keeping this White Guy Victoriana tone going when translating Classical.

How would you translate it, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something to keep in mind is that the very notion of “government corruption” is an intensely modern one. The notion that you shouldn’t personally profit off your official position would be loving bizarre to most people in history. Note that this doesn’t mean you’re stealing from the state - that was taken very seriously indeed by many - but poo poo like bribes, kickbacks, running a business on the side that you give contracts to in your official capacity, etc was considered normal. Hell it was overtly the way the system was designed to work in poo poo like tax farming systems. Then you have things like government positions being bought and sold as a normal practice. As in you’d purchase the privilege to be Grand Lord of Cheese Measurements from the government. You did so because the expectation was that you were making an investment and would be able to recoup your expenditure and then some using the power of the office

Spitballing massively but I’d hazard a guess that at least in an American / English / German context the basic notion that government officials should be impartial and not enrich themselves using their office is a early 19th century development.

Yeah the whole thing about the XYZ affair was that in Europe it was traditional for diplomats to give "gifts" to the foreign ministry that they were visiting and they'd make their money back by selling their access to the court to their countrymen. So when the American diplomats arrived in France to negotiate with France the local officials that controlled access to Talleyrand we're like, OK, where's our traditional bribe? And the American diplomats where so offended that they went home instead.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tomn posted:

How would you translate it, then?

"When Kan lived in Guangzhou, every morning he would take 100 flagstones* out of the hall, and move them inside at night. People would ask him what he was doing and he'd say, "I'm going to be working hard in Zhongyuan**, so if I'm idle now I won't accomplish much later : I'm just keeping busy."

It's not inaccurate on the meat of it for the most part, but it takes a very simple and straight-forward idea, expressed very directly, then it gussies it up with all this "Wherefore and lo and begat" that's not in the text, translates some stuff literally for no reason and also just adds in a bunch of weird details. All while not actually getting into any of the cool grammar poo poo, like how there's a cool contrastive co-ordinated VP juxtaposition across clauses, which might justify making the translation 8 times longer than it should be.

It's just bad and comes from weird stylistic choices about how to translate old poo poo (i.e. it should be like how we badly translate Latin) while throwing in a bunch of weird othering of The Mysterious Orient.

*Trying to translate a specific architectural word better than just "brick".

** "The Central Plains" is a proper noun, so actually translating it would be like saying "The Newer Shire of Hamp" or whatever.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
One thing to consider is that the limiting factor in a lot of pre-modern (and even modern) armies is calories rather than exercise.

Congress started the school lunch program in the US because so many recruits were malnourished when it came time to draft them for example.

One reason for the enduring dominance of warrior aristocracy across much of history is that the people on top get fed better and are going to be larger and more physically powerful on average than the toiling masses.

If you're recruiting from a well fed pool of men you can always get them whipped into shape within a few months of marching/drilling, if they're chronically undernourished then that's less effective. Societies that could create these large pools tended to do well militarily as they could draw from them when needed.

I think it was the Janissaries who incorporated a spoon into their uniform, which among other things represented their right to be well fed by the sultan.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xiahou Dun posted:

"When Kan lived in Guangzhou, every morning he would take 100 flagstones* out of the hall, and move them inside at night. People would ask him what he was doing and he'd say, "I'm going to be working hard in Zhongyuan**, so if I'm idle now I won't accomplish much later : I'm just keeping busy."

It's not inaccurate on the meat of it for the most part, but it takes a very simple and straight-forward idea, expressed very directly, then it gussies it up with all this "Wherefore and lo and begat" that's not in the text, translates some stuff literally for no reason and also just adds in a bunch of weird details. All while not actually getting into any of the cool grammar poo poo, like how there's a cool contrastive co-ordinated VP juxtaposition across clauses, which might justify making the translation 8 times longer than it should be.

It's just bad and comes from weird stylistic choices about how to translate old poo poo (i.e. it should be like how we badly translate Latin) while throwing in a bunch of weird othering of The Mysterious Orient.

*Trying to translate a specific architectural word better than just "brick".

** "The Central Plains" is a proper noun, so actually translating it would be like saying "The Newer Shire of Hamp" or whatever.

Thinkin bout how "The Lathe of Heaven" is such a great line and book and it results from James Legge not knowing that China did not even have lathes at all at the time of writing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It is no lathing matter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

What exactly led to the change, then? Also in general it'd be interesting regardless to have a breakdown on ways early modern or medieval corruption actually worked. And on that note...

There's no single reason why it changed, but off the top of my head two of the big are the growing bureaucratization and professionalization of state administration (which are related but not the same thing). There's a fairly large literature out there on that. It's not specifically directed at the issue of corruption, though.

I'm on a phone so not going to effort post, but search my posts in this thread and I think I've mentioned a few books on that and related subjects, usually re: the relationship between bureaucratization, the military, and the growth of modern taxation and administration to support all that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tomn posted:

Which ties in with what Cyrano was saying above about how it's generally expected prior to relatively recent times - so again, I wonder what changed exactly that "doing favors for friends" started being viewed as more and more unacceptable? I get the impression also that this ties into what makes corruption so hard to eradicate - exhortations to do better for the sake of the state falls on deaf ears when doing so means being kind of a dick to the people you know and work with, and who in the context of the existing system of graft would consider not participating in the graft to be sort of a dick move.

as systems of government became more complicated, it was increasingly non-viable to allow people to gain office because of nepotism and mutual favors than because of skill in the position. this was especially important in the modern era when people became increasingly reliant on complex systems, managed by government, to do things like make the trash disappear, keep water flowing in and sewage flowing out, make sure the electrical system stays on and won't kill you, etc

in the united states, the "progressive era" was a social movement which aimed to bring science and rationality into societal reform, which had some pretty serious downsides (eugenics, prohibition, scientific racism) but some upsides as well (women's suffrage, professionalization of bureaucracy, elimination of political corruption and machine politics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Era

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 15, 2022

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tomn posted:

This is interesting! One of the things I find striking about corruption is that despite it being generally reviled and considered a bad thing, when you break it down it's often friends doing favors for friends in a system of mutual reliance and dependence, which in any other context most people would probably consider to be a positive thing. Which ties in with what Cyrano was saying above about how it's generally expected prior to relatively recent times - so again, I wonder what changed exactly that "doing favors for friends" started being viewed as more and more unacceptable? I get the impression also that this ties into what makes corruption so hard to eradicate - exhortations to do better for the sake of the state falls on deaf ears when doing so means being kind of a dick to the people you know and work with, and who in the context of the existing system of graft would consider not participating in the graft to be sort of a dick move.

A lot of the city machines, including, in this case, Tammany Hall of New York, got powerful because of the major waves of immigration. A lot of these groups, starting with the Irish, were victims of a bunch of discrimination and nativism, and didn't have a lot of chances to progress socially. The city Demicrats saw this and saw that there was a big pool of potential Democratic voters if they could be mobilized with the promise of decent jobs and social services.

What killed Tammany and a lot of the other old urban machines were first civil service reform, which meant that potential government employees had to pass a test before hiring, limiting Tammany's ability to provide jobs, and second, the New Deal, which set up federal welfare and food programs, limiting Tammany's ability to give aid to voters in exchange for votes.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To give an idea of how recent that stuff was, the first US civil service act was in 1883. Before that, the federal bureaucracy ran on the spoils system, where everyone expected and openly stated they would give jobs to their friends, and fire anyone who didn't have connections to the current political leaders.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

golden bubble posted:

To give an idea of how recent that stuff was, the first US civil service act was in 1883. Before that, the federal bureaucracy ran on the spoils system, where everyone expected and openly stated they would give jobs to their friends, and fire anyone who didn't have connections to the current political leaders.

Even more recently, the Hatch Act (limiting the ability of government employees to engage in partisan campaigning) was passed in 1939, after credible accusations that FDR made WPA employees work on the campaigns of his supporters in 1938.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Here's a bit of an interesting story about weapons caches made at the end of 1944 when Finland was demobilizing and a bunch of officers were sure that USSR wouldn't respect the interim peace so they would have to prepare for an occupation and guerrilla warfare. This place is sparsely populated and not far from the Russian border.

quote:

A family secret about a cache of weapons lasted almost 80 years - more than 30 sturdy grenades unearthed in North Karelia with the help of family lore

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12578168

quote:

In the Lehikoinen family, it has always been known that grandpa had once been convicted of arms concealment. The location of the cache remained a mystery for decades until it was unearthed.

July 23 was an exciting day for Jari Lehikoinen and his son Jarno Lehikoinen. It was the time to start the search for a cache of weapons a few kilometres from Juua's church village.

The Lehikoinen family had known that Jari Lehikoinen's grandfather Kalle Lehikoinen had been sentenced to two months in prison for his involvement in a weapons cache. However, the cache was never found, nor was it widely discussed.

Kalle Lehikoinen's son Raimo Lehikoinen hid the cache - at his father's request - probably in the summer of 1945. The silence was due to Raimo's wish that the cache should not be searched during his lifetime.

The time was ripe for the search when the eldest of Raimo's siblings passed from time to eternity this year.

Jarno Lehikoinen's circle of acquaintances includes two military history enthusiasts from Imatra. The traditional knowledge about the cache of weapons, in turn, led to the location of the cache of weapons within an area of about half a hectare.

- The search started in the rain, and it took less than two hours before the detector started beeping," recalls Jari Lehikoinen.

The source of the beep was a cavity between stones with small stones and moss at its mouth.

- Two grenade boxes were found at a depth of about one metre. They both contained 16 pieces of rifle hand grenades, 32 in total," Lehikoinen continues.

- Most weapons caches have been found with rifles and cartridges, but this cache was a surprise to find such firepower.

After finding the grenade boxes, the Lehikoinen family called the police. The police investigated the discovery, and in turn called in Finnish Defence Force experts from the Kainuu Brigade. The hand grenades left with the defence forces for Kajaani.

In Jari Lehikoinen's opinion, it is interesting to see how big and difficult it has been for the oldest generation to take part in the arms cache.

When the local newspaper Vaarojen Sanomat published an article about the Lehikoinen' arms cache, a 92-year-old sibling of the family wondered "whether she could go to the shop now" when the newspaper read that her father had been in prison.

- But it is worth remembering that those who were involved in arms caches after the war at the time were doing their country a service. Over the years, the motive behind the act has become more understandable, especially in these times," says Jari Lehikoinen.

I do wonder what happens to TNT when stored like that for 70+ years? The boxes and grenades appear to be in great shape, would it be possible that they're still just as potent? Without fuses in place they probably wouldn't go off randomly, or would they?

Bonus picture of coffee grinding:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HE as a rule becomes more unstable with time and as it degrades.

The answer to those is to blow them in place.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cyrano4747 posted:

HE as a rule becomes more unstable with time and as it degrades.

The answer to those is to blow them in place.

According to the story, the army took them with them. Maybe they will end up in Ukraine?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think TNT is pretty stable for long periods? Dynamite absolutely is not. It depends a lot on the physical and chemical characteristics of the explosive - like for dynamite the issue is that the explosive chemicals separate out over time and then you get a bunch of shock-sensitive HX sitting at the bottom of your jug, which is bad. I know some of the higher nitrogen explosives (not like TNT high, TNT is 3:7 N:C, I'm talking like 1-diazidocarbamoyl-5-azidotetrazole, with its utterly hideous 7:1 N:C ratio) are so sensitive that if you don't continuously stir them they explode. Unsurprisingly that one is not practical for use as a weapon.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Didn't some German chemists make some horrible nitrogen chemical that was so sensitive you couldnt measure how sensitive it was, because turning on a light in the same room made it explode

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't some German chemists make some horrible nitrogen chemical that was so sensitive you couldnt measure how sensitive it was, because turning on a light in the same room made it explode

Yes. There's an entire thread for that kind of chemistry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ponzicar posted:

Yes. There's an entire thread for that kind of chemistry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006

O gently caress you. I had poo poo to do this ever.

435 pages of cool explosion discussion : this is gonna take weeks!

(But actually thanks a mill)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

From what I remember, the usual procedure for WWII UXO found in Germany is also to transport it to a designated facility where it'll be cut into smaller pieces which are then burned/detonated one at a time. That is if the fuse can be removed safely, which is mostly the case for dud impact fuses. For chemical delayed/timed fuses they usually prefer to explode in place as those tend to be incredibly unpredictable.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anybody remember high level orders written to a maybe a Master Sergeant in the Army during WW2 at NY ports authorizing them to take whatever they needed, which was essentially a licence to steal whatever they wanted?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Don’t have it on hand but yeah. The photo attached to it was also the most stereotypical 1940_Italian_NYC.jpg ever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminder that there was a ship in the Pacific theater whose primary responsibility was making ice cream for the troops. And another one that was responsible for providing plates, cups, and silverware.

Twilight of the Gods mentioned how in 1944 at the giant Ulithi atoll every ship in the fleet got a new movie every night and there was a calendar to track the destroyer that kept hundreds of films on board to rotate between the ships.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"Grandpa what did you do in The War?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminder that there was a ship in the Pacific theater whose primary responsibility was making ice cream for the troops. And another one that was responsible for providing plates, cups, and silverware.
lmao

quote:

The craft, a concrete barge acquired from the U.S. Army and worth $1 million, was able to create 10 US gallons (38 l) of ice cream every seven minutes, or approximately 500 US gal (1,900 l) per shift, and could store 2,000 US gal (7,600 l).
if Yamamoto had managed to search n destroy this poo poo he could've ended the war in a single stroke

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ice cream barge make the ice cream large

keep folks happy with the folks in charge

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It was fascinating reading about the absurdly nice recreational facilities the Seabees were putting on places like Guam with baseball fields, 50 basketball teams, four movie screens, and five bowling alleys planned until they had to cut back as the war was ongoing and resources were needed for B-29 runways.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It was fascinating reading about the absurdly nice recreational facilities the Seabees were putting on places like Guam with baseball fields, 50 basketball teams, four movie screens, and five bowling alleys planned until they had to cut back as the war was ongoing and resources were needed for B-29 runways.
"Oh yeah, there's a war on."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Twilight of the Gods mentioned how in 1944 at the giant Ulithi atoll every ship in the fleet got a new movie every night and there was a calendar to track the destroyer that kept hundreds of films on board to rotate between the ships.

Ulithi in general and its development was an incredible achievement of fleet logistics and engineering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1560588731786137600

See, climate change isn't ALL bad

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I seem to remember an anecdote. I was wondering if someone here knows of it. It was by a national guard pilot. It was during wargames, he and his squadron were armed with century series fighter and facing air force guys in f-16s or whatever. the air force guys were smug and arrogant, so the national guard guys decided to gently caress with them. the rules of the wargame said any weapon the fighters were rated for could be used. So the national guard pilot used a Genie and wiped out the squadron.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I seem to remember an anecdote. I was wondering if someone here knows of it. It was by a national guard pilot. It was during wargames, he and his squadron were armed with century series fighter and facing air force guys in f-16s or whatever. the air force guys were smug and arrogant, so the national guard guys decided to gently caress with them. the rules of the wargame said any weapon the fighters were rated for could be used. So the national guard pilot used a Genie and wiped out the squadron.

I know the story you're thinking of, and I assure you it's better in your head. The actual story is a bunch of shallow macho bullshit about dick size. Also the story isn't any longer than what you wrote. It goes like:

"Those cocky bastards thought they had bigger dicks than us, but we showed them. In the exercise I simulated firing a genie, therefore showing that my plane had the bigger dick"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It's been reposted in the Airpower/Cold War thread a few times:

mlmp08 posted:

"DARTS vs VIPERS Two Air Defense Interceptor Pilots vs Two Tactical Fighter Pilots By S. Michael Townsend, LTC, USAF (Ret.) “Viper 1, Pierre, Bucko, Genie, FMO, Rafsob” Circa 1984

I was a Captain stationed at Tyndall AFB as an F-106 Instructor. This day my wingman, a fellow Captain and Instructor, and I were scheduled for Dissimilar Air Combat Training (DACT) with two F-16s from Shaw AFB. I was to be the Instructor for the training on the Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation Range (ACMI) over the Gulf of Mexico, a highly accurate tracking system that would record all maneuvers in the airspace by the aircraft, score all shots taken and simulate any kills. None of us had ever fought against the other type fighter. Tactical Air Command pilots considered Air Defense pilots a lesser breed.

I started the preflight briefing after introductions with the Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) and his wingman a Lieutenant (LT). The LTC immediately interrupted and informed me that he had no idea why they were scheduled for DACT with aircraft that were far inferior to the F-16 and that it would not be much of a challenge for them resulting in very little effective training. He stated that we should engage with full up all weapons capability for both fighter types even stating that though they only had heaters (heat seeking missiles) and guns he saw no disadvantage for them. I hid the fact that he had pissed us off and verified that he meant for us to use the full weapons capability of the F-106. He replied, of course you can! Obviously he had no idea what we carried between our legs, a clueless state of mind! I smiled as I looked at my wingman while stroking the inside of my thigh; this pecker checker was going to get hammered when the Genie popped up!

I briefed the LTC to take his flight to the farthest most southern point of the airspace and be prepared to attack the coastline that we would defend. We would place ourselves on “Five” (five minute alert) and scramble when we saw him takeoff giving him the advantage of being ready when we arrived. I told him to be sure to look at the F-106 ramp on takeoff to verify that we there on “Five” and this would be important during the debrief. We briefed two engagements followed by join up for 1v1 basic fighter maneuvers (BFM), him versus me and the wingmen against each other.

The fun began as they lifted off and saw us on the edge of the ramp, “communicating”, with a raised finger over two rising moons! We had a hard time getting our crew chiefs to stop laughing so we could launch. A gate (full afterburner) climb to 41,000 feet put us in the airspace in 6 minutes when I called “fight’s on”! I felt sorry for my wingman because he would not get a shot on this first engagement. One minute later I called “Fox 3, KILL, two F-16s north bound at 18,000 feet. Nock- it off, nock-it off, fights over, return to your safe area,” was immediately passed to the Viper pilots. The LTC was so confused that the ground control intercept (GCI) controller had to tell him he had been shot by a “NUC” (Genie nuclear tipped rocket) and that him and his wingman were DEAD so return to your point! I told GCI to inform him that we had one more Genie but that we wouldn’t use it on the next engagement.

Score: Darts 2, Vipers 0

I put my wingman in four mile trail as we began the next engagement from 41,000 feet at 1.2 MACH racing down to their altitude of 18,000 feet, dumb a - - he didn’t even change his altitude to make it harder on us. Since they had face heaters (firing heat seekers in our face), we cooled our jets by retarding the engines to idle power to cool them off and denying the face shot while maintaining supersonic on our downhill slide. They took the bait, the leader rolled out behind me, the wingman behind mine. We had them right where we wanted them! Not even an F-16 can sustain a climb followed by a 9 G turn and roll out 2 miles behind a supersonic target and chase them down so the missile will make the kill. The leader found himself in front of my wingman who easily “Doe popped” him with two missiles while outrunning the F-16 wingman.

Score: Darts 1, Vipers 0

After a fuel check we split for 1v1 BFM. Starting from line abreast each fighter turns 45 degrees away from the other to gain spacing. At the fight’s on call the fighters turn toward each other passing canopy to canopy with no advantage. The knife fight begins in earnest as they turn to gain six o’clock on the other for a guns kill. Hands are helpful in explaining what happens next. Obviously the Viper can out turn a Dart and the LTC was behind me closing for guns! My next maneuver required exact timing or it would turn out all bad. As he closed for the shot I presented him with the infamous “F-106 Barn Door”. This is a frightening experience for anyone who has never seen the Dart act in such an unbelievable aerodynamic manner. Never attempt this maneuver at home as it should only be done by a highly trained and experienced Dart driver! With him captured solidly at my six, in a hard four G turn, closing for the kill, fangs out and dripping, I held the G while applying full opposite rudder. The Dart responds beautifully with an opposite direction roll through the vertical to a full nose down dive where I apply full afterburner and dash for the deck. From the Viper’s cockpit it looked just like someone opened a barn door in his face, nowhere to go and no idea what to do. Suddenly the Dart disappears. His only option was to call nock-it off because he lost sight having never squeezed the trigger. Meanwhile our wingman had to nock-it off because the LT was low on fuel.

Score: Darts 0, Vipers 0

I sent the Vipers home and my wingman and I played for a while. My debriefing was short and sweet. The Fighter pilots had to fly again to get some real training. It went something like this: Know your enemy. Never underestimate your enemy. Never enter a gun fight with a knife. Never engage an enemy when you don’t have a clue. Lose sight lose the fight. Pecker checkers should be well endowed. When the Genie pops up, you’re goanna die! Nothing was ever said about the moons, I believe we “communicated” effectively!

Final Score: Darts 3, Vipers 0 America remained safe from attack!!

S. Michael Townsend, LTC, USAF Ret. “Viper 1, Pierre, Bucko, Genie, FMO, Rafsob”

Source bit: https://issuu.com/f-106deltadart/docs/adc_darts_vs_tac_vipers

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Uncle Enzo posted:

I know the story you're thinking of, and I assure you it's better in your head. The actual story is a bunch of shallow macho bullshit about dick size. Also the story isn't any longer than what you wrote. It goes like:

"Those cocky bastards thought they had bigger dicks than us, but we showed them. In the exercise I simulated firing a genie, therefore showing that my plane had the bigger dick"

See also the blackbird speed check story

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

HookedOnChthonics posted:

See also the blackbird speed check story

They are both great stories and I will hear no argument to the contrary. :colbert:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Not really military history in the narrow sense, but it's got old boat stuff :

How much caulk could a caulkers mate caulk?

Like, what was their coverage on a daily basis in... square units of area? Volume? I get why you need caulking, that makes sense. And it's important enough to have a whole staff. But are they like, on deck/hand for emergencies and then, guessing, otherwise just normal sailors? Or is this like a Golden Gate Bridge situation where they're caulking constantly back and forth, never being "done"?

Caulk caulk caulkitty caulk I have never typed that word this many times jesus.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like, what was their coverage on a daily basis in... square units of area? Volume? I get why you need caulking, that makes sense. And it's important enough to have a whole staff. But are they like, on deck/hand for emergencies and then, guessing, otherwise just normal sailors? Or is this like a Golden Gate Bridge situation where they're caulking constantly back and forth, never being "done"?

Which era/type of caulking are we talking about? I often talk with folks from the Viking Ship Museum in skuldelev (Denmark), if it's lapstrake or any similar germanic iron/viking age caulking method I can ask for you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tias posted:

Which era/type of caulking are we talking about? I often talk with folks from the Viking Ship Museum in skuldelev (Denmark), if it's lapstrake or any similar germanic iron/viking age caulking method I can ask for you.

I started with mid 1800's sail ship era, but it's an interesting enough topic that I'm not gonna turn down any other periods.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

My understanding (which I'm very happy to be corrected on) was that the planks that make up a ship shift so much and grind against each other so much that on a big ship you're constantly pounding bits of old rope into cracks that weren't there yesterday then applying pitch. None of the cracks are in themselves vital, but if you fall behind you'll have to work even harder to catch up.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don’t have it on hand but yeah. The photo attached to it was also the most stereotypical 1940_Italian_NYC.jpg ever.

Late but for anyone who never saw it before - unfortunately don't have the name of the goon in question.

"ALL DOCK AREAS" for purpose of " DUTIES " during "ALL" hours :chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Late but for anyone who never saw it before - unfortunately don't have the name of the goon in question.

"ALL DOCK AREAS" for purpose of " DUTIES " during "ALL" hours :chiefsay:

Dude's name is right on the pass. It's C. E. Di Sipio. His sig is also along the left edge.

God that pass though. Literal license to steal :allears: