Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They do actually hide in 3, but it has no impact since every encounter mixes them in with multiple other enemy types and they have super low health so when they run at you it's pretty easy to just waste them without even thinking twice .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Advanced attacks are one thing, but I don't really begrudge them not hiding as much in DS3. They have become legion and don't need to ambush as much, but also it's the third game, are you still going to be falling for the "oh wow what a huge air vent hope there isn't anything in it" trick

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
What is it with horror games and unnecessary multiplayer? Dead Space 3, FEAR 3, RE6, a bunch of others I can't remember right now

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Improbable Lobster posted:

What is it with horror games and unnecessary multiplayer? Dead Space 3, FEAR 3, RE6, a bunch of others I can't remember right now

It wasn't limited to Horror games, having online multiplayer or interconnectedness was a thing of the era, even when it really didn't fit. Irrelevant and separate multiplayer modes were always there especially since the PS360 really opened up online MP to the consoles, but stuff like publishers feeling like single player games were dead, EAs project :10bux: or just the idea that's it's easier to sell more DLC if you have to show of your cosmetics to your buddy helped push it into the main single player mode. See also like stuff Mass Effect 3 initially requiring multiplayer for the best ending, MGS 5 and it's forced online interaction by limiting your max offline resources as well as it and others endlessly trying to do some kind of Dark Souls style invasions. There was also the are of the needless companion app, where a lot of fun customization or bonus items were moved onto a phone app you needed to connect to rather than just being in the game.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I'm not lying when I say that body in the cupboard in First Fear hosed me up bad when I saw it. It still unnerves me. There are some supremely well-done scares in that game and it really helps that the music is sparse but so, so good when it kicks in.

And yeah if I remember right one of the first deaths is just straight up a recreation of the stained glass hanging from Suspiria and it owns.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I'm not lying when I say that body in the cupboard in First Fear hosed me up bad when I saw it.

The fact that you have to kinda do some unintuitive stuff to even see it and that the game never even comments on it is the creepiest part to me. It really feels like the successful version of all of those "and then the game showed me PHOTOREALISTIC BLEEDING SKELETONS" stories that'd get passed around the internet decades later.

There's a reason I can't be mad at NightCry. It's not a great game and definitely isn't as good as either of the first 2 Clock Towers but it is still a game that is absolutely wearing its Dario Argento inspiration on its sleeves.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 21, 2022

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Reminds of the closet scare in the US Ring movie.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a reason I can't be mad at NightCry. It's not a great game and definitely isn't as good as either of the first 2 Clock Towers but it is still a game that is absolutely wearing its Dario Argento inspiration on its sleeves.

I really wanted to like NightCry and I've given it three attempts but it's just so janky and tedious that I always give up. That'll show me to kickstart things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

The fact that you have to kinda do some unintuitive stuff to even see it and that the game never even comments on it is the creepiest part to me. It really feels like the successful version of all of those "and then the game showed me PHOTOREALISTIC BLEEDING SKELETONS" stories that'd get passed around the internet decades later.

Most horror games are so badly in need of missable scares.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

One of the best things Silent Hill ever did was make most of the jumpscares random. So even on replays, it could catch you out.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I love Clocktower so much but even I can’t like Nightcry.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I didn't despise NightCry but that's probably because I didn't back it and I was expecting it to be a really silly and janky game that played like it was decades old. I got entertainment out of it. I'm sure it was the most disappointing thing in the world to Clock Tower fans though. There's certainly nothing to recommend it to people outside of that area of interest, much less people who do like those games.

Hearing Barry's original RE 1 voice actor again was a pretty sweet bonus though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
best Silent Hill scares

- cat school locker double fake in SH1
- running footsteps at the prison gallows in SH2
- blood room in SH3
- big giant head in SH4
- any time you go into a bathroom in most of the games

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

veni veni veni posted:

Most horror games are so badly in need of missable scares.

Randomly looking up to see that creepy bitch on the upper floor in PT. :stare:

The quick bit with the head in the fridge in American Psycho is real good too...I actually missed it the first time I watched and was wondering why my ex started hollering "DID YOU SEE THAT?!"

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Random chances of scares and/or enemy encounters scare the hell out of me. I was even kind of freaked out by the ending of Monkey Island 2 when I was a kid. Omori did it pretty well (gently caress that mirror) but I've noticed a lot more games tend to play a quick sting while I assume something scary happened just off screen? I've got really bad luck with that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

God, the SH2 gallows footsteps get me every loving time, so good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akira yamaoka puts a baseball in a plastic bucket and kicks it down a flight of stairs, scarring the minds of a generation

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I want a horror game where the twist near the end is the character you are playing isn't the one that was suppose to be "punished. " It's played completely straight, like a normal horror game. Have the protagonist just be really confused the whole game, making comments like they have been volunteering at soup kitchens and animal shelters. Have the antagonists pretty much ignore them until the "twist moment" then realize it's the wrong person.
But, you know, they put so much effort in so we'll just continue where we left off.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 23, 2022

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Latest flavor of the month, The Mortuary Assistant as reviewed by Gman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfN-HsnQoDc

You spend every shift of your job preparing bodies while a bunch of demons bug you.

I played the demo and for some reason it was extremely unsettling, to the point where I just quit playing and uninstalled. I grew up around the funeral industry so that stuff is no biggie, but the dumb demo creeped me out.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:prepop: friend bought me the resi evil bundle bc i've literally never played any of them, is there anything i should know before i start (besides that i apparently want to do 5 and 6 co-op to make them less of a slog)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Other than just "play them in release order", and yeah, do 5 and 6 co-op, you're pretty much set. That and the always golden advice for survival horror: don't fight anything you don't have to.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone else kinda hyped for Gloomwood? I played the demo last night and did the thing where I stopped playing it after half an hour cause I knew I'd want to play the game at that point, apparently it's a separate thing and not the start of the game anyway though.

Only concern is it's coming out in early access and they haven't got that little info table on the store page that says what exactly the early access release consists of, if it's just gonna be the first third of the game I'll probably wait and just play through it all when it's all out.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Mix. posted:

:prepop: friend bought me the resi evil bundle bc i've literally never played any of them, is there anything i should know before i start (besides that i apparently want to do 5 and 6 co-op to make them less of a slog)

For 6, keep in mind that using cover or lying on your back will allow you to regen your stamina a lot faster, and that if your co-op partner or you uses a healing tablet while next to each other, it will affect you both. Also keep in mind that there are a lot of enemy attacks that can be countered by you for free damage while also making you untouchable for the duration. Finally, you can turn off QTEs during cutscenes (or make them a lot easier idr) from the options menu. I think it also affects certain in-game QTEs as well, but I couldn't tell you which ones if they are.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Blockhouse posted:

best Silent Hill scares

- cat school locker double fake in SH1
- running footsteps at the prison gallows in SH2
- blood room in SH3
- big giant head in SH4
- any time you go into a bathroom in most of the games

The subtle menace of the sudden 4th-floor elevator button is my favorite.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mix. posted:

the plot just straight up does not make sense in a lot of places and that is okay

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh yeah, do not try and understand Resi's plot beyond the absolute surface stuff, diving any deeper leads to madness.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

Randomly looking up to see that creepy bitch on the upper floor in PT. :stare:

The quick bit with the head in the fridge in American Psycho is real good too...I actually missed it the first time I watched and was wondering why my ex started hollering "DID YOU SEE THAT?!"

YES! This was exactly what I was thinking of when I posted that. One of the creepiest things I've ever seen in a game. Knowing you could have just not looked up and missed it rips away any certainty I have that you know what the game will do next and makes the entire thing scarier.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Trilby's Notes did a good job of scaring me. In the beginning of the game you have to navigate between the main world and the alternate world. You get to the alternate world by going through enough screen transitions without taking pills. Once you're in the alt world, it's all typical silent hill stuff and it was creeping me out enough that I'd just keep popping pills to stay in the normal world.

By the end of the game, you'll have been experiencing numerous different hallucinations of varying intensity, but only in the normal world. The game succeeded at getting me to feel safer in the silent hill alt world than the normal world because at least in the alt world, all of the text boxes would be replaced with "it hurts" on loop and I wouldn't walk into a screen to find my sprite's been replaced with the killer's or I've suddenly walked into a room from a completely different game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

I don't actually remember that scene, but I tried to pull that on goons eons ago and it was truly the most disappointing forums exprience I've ever had. Probably 2007ish there was a thread in GBS that was "post what is in your fridge" (which was a really bad thread topic, good lord). So I pulled a halloween mask of an old mans face out of my closet, stuck it on a cantaloupe, stuck it in a bag, and then squeezed fake blood into the bag and squished it around. The result was actually somewhat convincing and super disgusting looking. So I hid it in the back corner of my fridge to make it subtle but you could still clearly see that it was a head if you looked closely. It looked real enough to work.

Then I post it, duck out of thread and cannot wait to open it again to read the ensuing chaos. Not a single person noticed it. People just kept arguing about miracle whip or whatever. Then like 5 days later finally someone quotes my post and is like "Uhhhhh. what. the gently caress. is that in the back of your fridge? And I'm like, game on baybeee. Then nothing. No one else said anything about it.

Sorry that had nothing to do with horror games.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

I don't actually remember that scene, but I tried to pull that on goons eons ago and it was truly the most disappointing forums exprience I've ever had. Probably 2007ish there was a thread in GBS that was "post what is in your fridge" (which was a really bad thread topic, good lord). So I pulled a halloween mask of an old mans face out of my closet, stuck it on a cantaloupe, stuck it in a bag, and then squeezed fake blood into the bag and squished it around. The result was actually somewhat convincing and super disgusting looking. So I hid it in the back corner of my fridge to make it subtle but you could still clearly see that it was a head if you looked closely. It looked real enough to work.

Then I post it, duck out of thread and cannot wait to open it again to read the ensuing chaos. Not a single person noticed it. People just kept arguing about miracle whip or whatever. Then like 5 days later finally someone quotes my post and is like "Uhhhhh. what. the gently caress. is that in the back of your fridge? And I'm like, game on baybeee. Then nothing. No one else said anything about it.

Sorry that had nothing to do with horror games.

The aerosol can whipped cream is better

But rip to your great gag, that's def a bummer. Goons used to scare each other all the time when the annual ghost story thread was a thing, I miss that a lot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

veni veni veni posted:

You don't know what kind of world these people live in day to day

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lols like a licker house but there no licker around

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mix. posted:

I would honestly skip 0 completely, it's just awful.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm pretty sure RE0 was the first one I ever played. I remember being pretty confused and not knowing who anyone was.

My memory of it is vague though, what made it so terrible?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty sure RE0 was the first one I ever played. I remember being pretty confused and not knowing who anyone was.

My memory of it is vague though, what made it so terrible?

It's not remotely terrible, it's just not very interesting, especially in 2022. It had a few questionable design choices and by the time it originally came out the formula was pretty stale. Playing it now, when the style and formula are even more dated is especially rough because it's probably the weakest of the tank-control bunch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How many times has umbrella murdered their entire workforce

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

How many times has umbrella murdered their entire workforce

Every time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Technically only once, if you consider it a continuous process

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It eventually had to reach a point where the new hires knew what they were getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Umbrella must have a really good student loan coverage benefit.