Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I've tried to check out Control a couple times on Game Pass but whatever version they uploaded to Game Pass really sucks. I've had texture issues where the entire wall or floor is a blurry mess until you pause the game, the game won't load past the splash screen, random crashing. It seems like its worth a purchase but I'm worried the steam version will have the same issue on my system.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Control seemed semi-infamous from more then one person posting angry about the game, then revealing that they completely missed some fundamental aspect of the game like not realizing you could fast travel or upgrade weapons and abilities.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I've tried to check out Control a couple times on Game Pass but whatever version they uploaded to Game Pass really sucks. I've had texture issues where the entire wall or floor is a blurry mess until you pause the game, the game won't load past the splash screen, random crashing. It seems like its worth a purchase but I'm worried the steam version will have the same issue.

I played the PS4 version my first playthru and PC the second and didn't run into any crashes, but ran into some incredibly weird bugs like teleporting back to an old checkpoint without a loading screen and having certain enemies just scream nonstop, but nothing gamebreaking. The texture not loading can be fixed with either an .ini change or mod, can't remember which, which is shown on the pcgamingwiki entry. So, you might have issues and might not and this post probably doesn't sway you either way :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Auugh, I'm about to start playing Star Wars Squadrons but there's apparently no way to disable the stupid mouse cursor and I usually play with Y-inverted. D:

Oh my god why does this suck so much?! I tried turning the mouse range down to 0 (which actually isn't zero) and now it's almost impossible to fly straight. :psyduck:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Not a game/composer crossover I was expecting.

https://twitter.com/christophertin/status/1561831423383781376

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone play the demo for that SD Gundam game dropping this week? Seems neat but I'm not sure how long it'll go before it gets kinda samey.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Oh my god why does this suck so much?! I tried turning the mouse range down to 0 (which actually isn't zero) and now it's almost impossible to fly straight. :psyduck:

OK the closest I can get seems to be to do the opposite, to set the range until max but it still feels kinda sluggish and why is there no target lead circle anyways?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anno posted:

Not a game/composer crossover I was expecting.

https://twitter.com/christophertin/status/1561831423383781376

The old EA Tiger games were so loving good

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Control's guns actually can be pretty drat effective BUT, you have to dig deep into the mod system which sucks rear end and I will not blame anyone for not wanting to do that

stack a bunch of +headshot damage mods on the sniper and it will one-shot almost any enemy in the game. Stack -ammo use while flying mods on the rocket launcher and laugh as Jessie rains down endless rockets from the sky. +pellets or choke were good for the shotgun. Couldnt really make the machine gun useful at all tho, I guess try +ammo on headshots but that still kinda sucks

Really, they should have made the mods not random and instead sprinkled around the good ones as rewards for exploration/combat challenges. Having to stop and recycle 40 mods every hour or so was incredibly tedious

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Control reminds me of Shadow Warrior 2 of all things, with a loot system that feels very tacked on and dull. I still loved it for the story and atmosphere. The graphics and destruction were great, and some of the powers were a lot of fun. It's not perfect, but I recommend it if you like the things it does well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

One of the best mods ever made is the one that lets you swap between all the guns whenever you want in Control. It both really highlights the limits of the two gun (and mod) system but also really, really, really highlights how fun they all are when you can use them whenever you want and also mod them way more freely. So you can keep the pistol as your basic run around on the ground weapon but then put airborne mods in the rocket launcher and use it when you fly.

Edit: And I just realized I only listed two weapons in a random example so just use your imagination for the shotgun, machine gun, sniper, and grenade launcher.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 23, 2022

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

stack a bunch of +headshot damage mods on the sniper and it will one-shot almost any enemy in the game. Stack -ammo use while flying mods on the rocket launcher and laugh as Jessie rains down endless rockets from the sky. +pellets or choke were good for the shotgun. Couldnt really make the machine gun useful at all tho, I guess try +ammo on headshots but that still kinda sucks

+Pellets on the shotgun was a trap iirc because it didn't actually increase your damage, it just spread the same damage out over more pellets, making it useless. They really had no idea what they were doing with the mods and just threw a bunch of random poo poo in there, but almost nothing was worth taking over plain +damage.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It's still just mystifying that they're making Alan Wake 2 before a Control sequel. It had its faults but it was much more iconic and much more positively received.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
love everyone focusing on the mods like they're a huge part of the game when i don't remember spending more than like two minutes on them

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

pentyne posted:

Control seemed semi-infamous from more then one person posting angry about the game, then revealing that they completely missed some fundamental aspect of the game like not realizing you could fast travel or upgrade weapons and abilities.

Lol like somebody playing all the way through an RPG without leveling and using the rusty dagger.

Otoh, imagine the skill level of the dude who can finish idk Skyrim at level 1 because he’s dumber than poo poo and never engaged any of the mechanics.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Triarii posted:

+Pellets on the shotgun was a trap iirc because it didn't actually increase your damage, it just spread the same damage out over more pellets, making it useless. They really had no idea what they were doing with the mods and just threw a bunch of random poo poo in there, but almost nothing was worth taking over plain +damage.

...that makes so much sense because I couldn't get the shotgun to work for me and you know I was stacking those pellet mods assuming it worked like you'd think it would.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doom Mathematic posted:

It's still just mystifying that they're making Alan Wake 2 before a Control sequel. It had its faults but it was much more iconic and much more positively received.

they share a universe, so they could make AW2 a stealth sequel to control if they wanted to by bringing the narratives closer together

or maybe they won't and the extent of the shared universe will just be a handful of references

who knows

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Control is Mass Effect 1 but there's procgen fetch quests and the geths respawn

Enemies Everywhere amirite :razz:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Doom Mathematic posted:

Control was well received but I don't think I'd call it iconic. And as far as I remember, Alan Wake was very positively received when it came out. The Metacritic scores are pretty similar.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mordja posted:

OK the closest I can get seems to be to do the opposite, to set the range until max but it still feels kinda sluggish and why is there no target lead circle anyways?

Because the game is not meant to be played with the mouse. It's in there because it has to be, but Squadrons is 100% a controller or joystick game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Hwurmp posted:

Control is Mass Effect 1 but there's procgen fetch quests and the geths respawn

Enemies Everywhere amirite :razz:

are you high

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maximum lulz that the new Saint's Row has big heists to perform, and when you do them... you get to wait in the car while the NPC's run off to complete them. Definitely sounds like a very complete game that wasn't rushed out.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maximum lulz that the new Saint's Row has big heists to perform, and when you do them... you get to wait in the car while the NPC's run off to complete them. Definitely sounds like a very complete game that wasn't rushed out.

:rip:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They took three years to make a game they’d already made five times before and still couldn’t pull it off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
does anyone know if Entropy Zero 2 deserves its glowing ratings, because the trailer's Portal references pushed me away somewhat

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiny Timbs posted:

They took three years to make a game they’d already made five times before and still couldn’t pull it off

game companies aren't real things, it was the same "brand" who made the last 5 games game but not the actual humans

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Doom Mathematic posted:

i would put money on alan wake 2 directly setting up the plot for a control sequel.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am mad we didn't get a Saints Row 5 that featured Jane Austen and either time travel or space adventures.

Cowards.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

why can't you people just agree on which games are good and which ones are bad, so i know what games to buy??

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mescal posted:

why can't you people just agree on which games are good and which ones are bad, so i know what games to buy??
Buy whatever is the most discounted, it's not like you're going to play the games anyway.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

repiv posted:

they share a universe, so they could make AW2 a stealth sequel to control if they wanted to by bringing the narratives closer together

or maybe they won't and the extent of the shared universe will just be a handful of references

who knows

the AWE dlc already revealed that alan created the hiss because he's a smart special boy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

always a sad day to see a friend buy domina to show support of a dipshit and clarify it with a review to make sure everyone understood its why he bought the game and all the dlc

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Ex friend i'd hope

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
re: Saints Row I'm reading/hearing a lot about how the game looks bad or old, but I think the characters and character animations are exactly what they were going for with no compromises made at all. They're not cutting-edge next-gen photorealistic but it's pretty obvious that wasn't their brief either.

They're over the top caricatures of the personalities they represent and they're really only let down by how bad the writing gets. They also forgot that Saints Row is parody-heavy and somehow made them all feel like the personification of Fortnite skins, but what can you do.

(this doesn't include the player character who always looks weird in cutscenes).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't think the graphics are a major complaint, and not many people would actually care if the game otherwise delivered. personally, i think it looks good enough.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Thymesia trip report, now that I've finished it:

Really short. Like surprisingly short. You could probably finish it in half an hour or even less if you knew where you were going, ran past enemies, and could beat the bosses/required mini-bosses in one or two tries. Feels like it's missing a third act, sort of just ends.

Still great animations though, and the five bosses that are good really do feel good; the final boss in particular is a standout that took me a couple dozen tries.

Solid 7/10 game. Not a terrible deal at 20$, given the production values.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I know I just praised the character design but if someone walked in on me during this scene I'd rather switch to Mr. Hands than let it play out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I couldn't make it past 1'30"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is some loving Wii Music @ E3 energy poo poo