Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Morpheus posted:

Introduce a new board gamer the same way I do, with a copy of Dungeon Lords and an hour of explanations on its mechanics.

This, but Space Alert. And after an hour of rules explaining, I get to say "...and also, games only take about 20 minutes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

So I'm thinking of starting up a meetup group and am anticipating the possibility of getting just one person on the first few meetups. What are the best 2 player games out there?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

swampcow posted:

So I'm thinking of starting up a meetup group and am anticipating the possibility of getting just one person on the first few meetups. What are the best 2 player games out there?

Go
Hive
Napoleons triumph

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hanamikoji and Fox in the Forest are good 2p games and very portable.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

:hmmyes:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Caper: Europe
Blitzkrieg (or if the fact that one person has to play the Axis is a turn off, Caesar! instead)
Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel
Land Vs Sea
Carcassonne
Azul (or Azul Queen's Garden for a more puzzly one)

These are our small box 2 player hits that have always been popular and well received

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions!

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I did some shopping and came away with

schotten totten 2
Under falling skies
Tiny towns: fortune
The paper tales expansion

Not a bad haul

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Street Horrrsing posted:

I did some shopping and came away with

schotten totten 2
Under falling skies
Tiny towns: fortune
The paper tales expansion

Not a bad haul

I've got (and played) Tiny Towns Fortune and Under Falling Skies. UFS is amazing!
Fortune I have only played once so far, but Tiny Towns is one of our favs with the kids, and from that play it seems pretty good. Will likely be added to the game for most plays like Villagers was.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I can't rave enough about Botanik as a 2p game. Hands down my favorite short (but longer than Schotten Totten) game. A mix of tile drafting and tile laying, with some interesting creativity and the perfect helping of meanness/hate-drafting, which is to say, just a taste.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Santorini is great at 2

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
We're looking for a long-ish game with RPG elements and someone recommended LOTR Journey to Middle Earth. Has anyone played it? How complicated is it and how hard to set up?

vv Thanks

Spermando fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 22, 2022

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Spermando posted:

We're looking for a long-ish game with RPG elements and someone recommended LOTR Journey to Middle Earth. Has anyone played it? How complicated is it and how hard to set up?

I'm playing this at the moment and absolutely love it. It's not complicated generally, there are a few slightly fiddly rules to remember about terrain but pretty much everything else important is summarised on the back of the rulebook.

Once you've set up your characters (pick one, get their deck and combine it with a set of standard cards, one random weakness and a starting profession deck) there is basically zero setup as the app tells you which map tiles to grab as necessary. It's important to keep all the bits in the box organised though, or you'll be rooting around for stuff. All the map tiles have numbers on so just make sure to keep them in order. Takes me less than a minute to unpack everything required to play, even with all the expansions.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Introduce a new board gamer the same way I do, with a copy of Dungeon Lords and an hour of explanations on its mechanics.

i dont explain anything i just make them sit there and watch while i set up shadows of brimstone with every expansion

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Spermando posted:

vv Thanks

Too Many Bones

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

Too Many Bones

I like Too Many Bones but it's not an epic campaign like Journeys in Middle Earth.

My one real gripe with JiME is that you are stuck with the same number of players for the whole campaign, unlike Gloomhaven and Descent: Legends of the Dark. It's otherwise fantastic. I love Mansions of Madness, and this is similar in gameplay but campaign based and there are no dice; your success is determined from the deck you build.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Is Too Many Bones good? I demo-ed it at Gencon, but I felt like it was way too fiddly with too many reference sheets for not enough depth.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When we gonna get "not enough bones" or "the ideal quantity of bones"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Arzaac posted:

Is Too Many Bones good? I demo-ed it at Gencon, but I felt like it was way too fiddly with too many reference sheets for not enough depth.

It's very good but the rulebook is dogshit. The game really isn't that fiddly when you know how to play, but the rules are spread across multiple reference sheets which makes it annoying to learn.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Alright, that's fair, I get that. I recently bought Ark Nova (at GenCon as you might expect) and I felt like there was a similar problem, where the game itself is intuitive enough but the rulebook was extremely wordy and very dry.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

I like Too Many Bones but it's not an epic campaign like Journeys in Middle Earth.

My one real gripe with JiME is that you are stuck with the same number of players for the whole campaign, unlike Gloomhaven and Descent: Legends of the Dark. It's otherwise fantastic. I love Mansions of Madness, and this is similar in gameplay but campaign based and there are no dice; your success is determined from the deck you build.

Funny you should say that, we've been thinking of getting Mansions of Madness as an alternative.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

When we gonna get "not enough bones" or "the ideal quantity of bones"

Not Enough Bones, a game about making hillariously inaccurate dinosaur skeletons

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

armorer posted:

Santorini is great at 2

While the box states 2-4 players, it actually is a 2 player game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's very good but the rulebook is dogshit.

board games dot txt

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Got super excited when Target emailed me saying Horizons of Spirit Island was in stock,but when I went to the website it was out of stock, I'm guessing it was a freak accident as bgg isn't talking about it either. I'm guessing they are getting ready to put it up for preorder soon.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Joe Chill posted:

While the box states 2-4 players, it actually is a 2 player game.

Yeah, I agree 100%

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

apostateCourier posted:

Not Enough Bones, a game about making hillariously inaccurate dinosaur skeletons

game where everyone but one person is given enough bones and people guess who’s skeleton is bullshit

a fake archeologist goes to iran

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

apostateCourier posted:

Can't wait for the Magdeburg Unicorn expansion

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm so excited for spirit island horizons

e: tho not excited enough to get the name right lol. Horizons of spirit island

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Arzaac posted:

Alright, that's fair, I get that. I recently bought Ark Nova (at GenCon as you might expect) and I felt like there was a similar problem, where the game itself is intuitive enough but the rulebook was extremely wordy and very dry.

i've been having a poo poo of a time with Imperium's rulebook, the game itself is one of those really simple rulesets + complexity that comes from card sets, but man I had to reread the cleanup phase section about 8 times and work through it with the cards before I understood what the point of the token shuffling was (it's just a simple latch to prevent you getting the reshuffle benefit more than once a round)

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

apostateCourier posted:

Reskin Yahtzee with various bone symbols :skeltal:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
John Company 2E arrived.

Box is loving packed. Doesn't have as good a storage solution as Pax Pam 2E unfortunately.

Rules seem equally dense, can't wait to play it.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Speaking of Santorini being only a two player game, does anyone have thoughts on Santorini: New York as a multiplayer title?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

John Company 2E arrived.

Box is loving packed. Doesn't have as good a storage solution as Pax Pam 2E unfortunately.

Hell yeah, looking forward to getting mine soon. Aetherworks here in Australia sent a message a couple of weeks ago to lock down addresses but no word yet on actual shipping confirmation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Hell yeah, looking forward to getting mine soon. Aetherworks here in Australia sent a message a couple of weeks ago to lock down addresses but no word yet on actual shipping confirmation.

I'm in Sydney and my first Auspost notification only came in yesterday so there wasn't much time between the confirmation and it arriving.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, got my copy in Canberra today. Thing is dense and beautiful. Should get to play it tomorrow night, looking forward to being some despicable people!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Spermando posted:

Funny you should say that, we've been thinking of getting Mansions of Madness as an alternative.

Mansions really needs expansions in order to shine. Same might be true of JiME, no idea because I'm an insane person and bought everything at once.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I got JC2e too (also in Canberra) after having mostly forgotten I ordered it. Trying to work out online how well it scales with player count, anyone know if it’s good 2p or needs more people to shine?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

John Company 2E arrived.

Excited for mine to arrive, but I think getting mine later as I'm a Eurogoon and they're in Germany somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

board games dot txt

I think Sidreal Confluence is the game with the highest ration between terrible rulebook and game quality. Great Western Trail is a contender as well.