Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

The fishnets help them get warm!

I think in the expanded universe this was partially true as well as being linked to their cloaking, but that has largely fallen by the wayside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s true to me. Warm fishnets

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the near-500 pages, but have there ever been any comics/novels/ancillary materials about the original movie's xenomorph surviving being blasted out into space, and either ending up back on a planet or being found by someone?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t think there have been for the original one, but one of the Earth Hive novels has them clinging to the outside of a ship and then attacking someone who’s doing a spacewalk to fix an antenna.

And I believe in those books the original source of the alien infestation on Earth was a xeno clinging to space junk in orbit, and a cleanup crew who goes into low-orbit to destroy this junk and satellite detritus runs into it.

The Alien: Isolation digital series IGN made also has them clinging to debris from Sevastopol station at the end, after the station sheds bits of itself getting pulled into the gas giant.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 19, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
earth hiive is a fun and quick read and worth checking out imo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

earth hiive is a fun and quick read and worth checking out imo

I love the part when someone is flipping through the channels looking at what few broadcasts are still coming from earth.

And also the part earlier that talks about how the entire infestation plays out, with the unified earth government knowing what is happening but initially trying to keep it quiet, and keying on sudden rashes of unexplained disappearances to locate the hives. And then later having to nuke Jakarta when the situation there gets totally out of control, and eventually having to quarantine the entire continent of Australia.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bonk posted:

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the near-500 pages, but have there ever been any comics/novels/ancillary materials about the original movie's xenomorph surviving being blasted out into space, and either ending up back on a planet or being found by someone?

Not to my knowledge.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bonk posted:

I might be misremembering but I'm pretty sure the comic Theory of Alien Propagation either implies or straight-up says they can survive in the vacuum of space by going into a sort of hibernation. This is over panels of the queen floating around near the Sulaco, implying that she's still good to go in the astronomically-unlikely event something scoops her up.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MrMojok posted:

I love the part when someone is flipping through the channels looking at what few broadcasts are still coming from earth.

And also the part earlier that talks about how the entire infestation plays out, with the unified earth government knowing what is happening but initially trying to keep it quiet, and keying on sudden rashes of unexplained disappearances to locate the hives. And then later having to nuke Jakarta when the situation there gets totally out of control, and eventually having to quarantine the entire continent of Australia.

all of this owned

Mister Speaker posted:

I might be misremembering but I'm pretty sure the comic Theory of Alien Propagation either implies or straight-up says they can survive in the vacuum of space by going into a sort of hibernation. This is over panels of the queen floating around near the Sulaco, implying that she's still good to go in the astronomically-unlikely event something scoops her up.

this is also a cool comic worth reading if you can track it down

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrMojok posted:

And I believe in those books the original source of the alien infestation on Earth was a xeno clinging to space junk in orbit, and a cleanup crew who goes into low-orbit to destroy this junk and satellite detritus runs into it.

I think those books are based on the Dark Horse comics, so that’s mixing up two things. There is a cleanup crew who (disastrously) find a xeno in an orbiting hulk, but I think everything burns up in the atmosphere. The infestation is caused by (spoilers just in case!) a cult that forms from the psychic broadcasts of a captive queen on earth. They break into the facility and free her and willingly offer themselves to be implanted (some kind of “born again” religious mania) and everything quickly gets out of hand from there.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

david_a posted:

I think those books are based on the Dark Horse comics, so that’s mixing up two things. There is a cleanup crew who (disastrously) find a xeno in an orbiting hulk, but I think everything burns up in the atmosphere. The infestation is caused by (spoilers just in case!) a cult that forms from the psychic broadcasts of a captive queen on earth. They break into the facility and free her and willingly offer themselves to be implanted (some kind of “born again” religious mania) and everything quickly gets out of hand from there.

Isn't this exactly what Genestealers are in WH40K? Memestealers.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah. It’s been a while. I was thinking that the queen they had in the Cheyenne mountain complex came from the drone clinging onto orbiting space junk, like it got down to earth and morphed or created an egg with a royal facehugger inside, but I must be misremembering

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mister Speaker posted:

Isn't this exactly what Genestealers are in WH40K? Memestealers.

They also mutate their disciples and make weird hybrid humans AFAIK, unlike the ones in the comic who are just plain humans. Undoubtedly the Games Workshop people read those comics since they borrowed a ton of other stuff from Aliens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

They also mutate their disciples and make weird hybrid humans AFAIK, unlike the ones in the comic who are just plain humans. Undoubtedly the Games Workshop people read those comics since they borrowed a ton of other stuff from Aliens.

Hey if you want crazy mutant human-Alien hybrids, that is a thing that happens in the Colonial Marines comic series (unrelated to the videogame).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

This is in the first dark horse omnibus.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think it’s part of Orona’s presentation in Earth Hive

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i prefer the novelizations of the dark horse comics because i think they do a better job of fleshing out the characters and story but some of them like labyrinth just own as both a comic and as a novel

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 19, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i prefer the novelizations of the dark horse comics because i think they do a better job of fleshing out the characters and story but some of them like labyrinth just own as both a comic and as a novel

I much prefer Labyrinth as a comic, it’s my favorite Aliens comic by far.

Novel is cool too, though.

Edit— I still smile about facilitating a bunch of people getting to read Labyrinth, that was fun.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 20, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Earth Hive is definitely a fun read, I didn't like the second two (Nightmare Asylum and Female War) nearly as much though. But they do continue and conclude the story so worth checking out if you really dig Earth Hive.

Bonk posted:

Very very very early on in Aliens' production I think they considered having what became the queen alien be the same one from Alien but it didn't go anywhere.

Xenomrph posted:

I think in the expanded universe this was partially true as well as being linked to their cloaking, but that has largely fallen by the wayside.

I didn't know Hideo Kojima was writing Predator expanded universe content. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 20, 2022

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I read Earth Hive in highschool after finding it in the school library.

I liked it a lot . But thought the main characters were poorly disguised copies of Newt and Hicks. :thejoke:

It wasn't until I read the comics later that I got what was going on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: the recent Alien RPG colonial marines supplement brought Wilks and the planet Rim back into the canon, as well as Spears (the antagonist from Nightmare Asylum).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just finished Prey, finally got a good predator movie. Hopefully it gets a sequel.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/Kabooski01/status/1561676365925007360?t=cmbDWIvzd5PFMVIapvblRw&s=19

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the recent Alien RPG colonial marines supplement brought Wilks and the planet Rim back into the canon, as well as Spears (the antagonist from Nightmare Asylum).

that owns

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What owns even more is I’m in the book (twice!).

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/ATRightMovies/status/1562439598990495744?t=ZdX23fM859UvSOdZREbFIQ&s=19

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I always wondered about the line "they killed him trying to take it off," or however it is Bishop explains the colonists' facehugger removal attempt. Is it simply that they just positively weep acid blood (as readily demonstrated by a simple scalpel cut), or is there something more sinister going on, some defense mechanism we haven't seen?

Edit: wait, isn't bishop's actual line "they killed him taking it off," referring to one of the facehugger specimens in the tanks?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 25, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, Bishop is talking about the Facehuggers in the tanks, they removed one of them surgically (somehow) but it probably crushed the poo poo out of the victim's neck if not his whole face and skull. Like when Ash and Dallas try to remove the one on Kane and it tightens, "That thing isn't coming off without taking his whole face off with it."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, I always took it as an either/or that they tried cutting and the acid sprayed (since they wouldn't know about the acid then), or it choked them to death as a defense machanism.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sigher posted:

Yeah, Bishop is talking about the Facehuggers in the tanks, they removed one of them surgically (somehow) but it probably crushed the poo poo out of the victim's neck if not his whole face and skull. Like when Ash and Dallas try to remove the one on Kane and it tightens, "That thing isn't coming off without taking his whole face off with it."

Yeah. I'm sure the colonists had a doc but who knows how they went about it. IIRC Xenomrph I'm sure can confirm in a lot of the expanded stuff in the 90s because of that it's considered a given that you can't remove one or remove a growing alien from you surgically and survive at all. But personally I never thought the Weyland Yutani people were lying in Alien 3 when they said it was a relatively simple procedure. They'd want Ripley alive anyway because she's effectively the only xenomorph expert in existence otherwise original Bishop wouldn't have shown up.

And then 200 years later in Resurrection you wonder why they even need to traffic unwilling victims for implantation when you can just remove a fully grown crawler from someone with a cutting laser in like five minutes. They could pay people probably a lot less than what they were giving Michael Wincott's snark squad and folks would still be lining up.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
New aliens fire team dlc drops on Tuesday. I’ve been playing over the past week to level up a few classes before it drops and no issues finding games thanks to the crossplay population.

Also, this looks great, I was expecting a pretty standard tbs but sounds more ambitious https://www.vg247.com/aliens-dark-descent-is-more-than-an-xcom-clone

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

. It’s why we as humans don’t get blinded by infrared, ultraviolet, or radio waves.

You can definitely be blinded by infrared and ultraviolet light.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SHISHKABOB posted:

You can definitely be blinded by infrared and ultraviolet light.
How? Do you mean in the sense of excessive heat frying your eyeballs, or ultraviolet light cooking them like when you get a sunburn?

I was talking more in the sense of temporarily overloading the photoreceptors, not permanent damage to the eyeball.

I’m willing to learn something new today, I’m okay with being wrong.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

How? Do you mean in the sense of excessive heat frying your eyeballs, or ultraviolet light cooking them like when you get a sunburn?

I was talking more in the sense of temporarily overloading the photoreceptors, not permanent damage to the eyeball.

I’m willing to learn something new today, I’m okay with being wrong.

Yeah I did mean permanent damage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah this is why I have to be super safe around laser cutters even if you can't see the beam. It's sort of scary the idea that if something goes wrong you can't even see where the danger is.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Just to revive this thread, I saw a bunch of xenomorph toys when I was walking around Walmart today, the packaging indicated they were exclusives but honestly they looked like rear end

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’ve been there for 3 years. They’re kids toys.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There’s no such thing as a bad aliens toy. The entire idea of xenomorph toys for kids is hilarious.

“Hey here’s a rape monster. The cool marines better shoot them! But watch out for the disfiguring acid blood, or the penio-vaginal spermatophore depositor this one will try to shove down your throat!”

“But hey, wouldn’t it be cool? What if the rape monster raped an ape? What if it impregnated this hosed up bug with claws, or impregnated, gestated, and violently, fatally brought to term its offspring in a cow?!?”

“That would be so cool! But most importantly, you should feel absolutely zero trepidation - a total lack of reservation, compunction, remorse or sympathy - about mercilessly slaughtering these evil and horrible but cool, cool organisms.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As a kid I was obsessed with Aliens and watched all the movies and tried to get as much of the toys as I could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

As a kid I was obsessed with Aliens and watched all the movies and tried to get as much of the toys as I could

Same. I never once thought about how an alien would shag a praying mantis.