Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

the faces in the planes tho
Are you kidding, that’s the best part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

This was a decently filmed movie with a pretty superficial plot . If that’s what you are into this movie probably nails it. Otherwise watching top gun Star Wars bomb the Swiss while level five guys in motorcycle helmets try and shoot them down is what you get. Not my bag, but for what it is was well composed.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This was fun. Story was hella stupid and flimsy. I wish they'd spent more time on Maverick and Rooster. I enjoyed the meta-narrative about Tom Cruise.

The stunts and practical effects were amazing but they also made the more CGI heavy scenes stick out like a sore thumb. In conclusion, I'm happy that Tom Cruise is still alive despite his best efforts because Hollywood should make make more poo poo like this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Partycat posted:

This was a decently filmed movie with a pretty superficial plot . If that’s what you are into this movie probably nails it. Otherwise watching top gun Star Wars bomb the Swiss while level five guys in motorcycle helmets try and shoot them down is what you get. Not my bag, but for what it is was well composed.

It's a lot, lot more than "decently filmed" is the thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:fap:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Curious about the first act, they are making it a big point of having a plane that can go mach 10, but this was already achieved by NASA in real life in 2004?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

Curious about the first act, they are making it a big point of having a plane that can go mach 10, but this was already achieved by NASA in real life in 2004?

Wiki says that jet in 2004 was unmanned. Maybe that's the difference?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Wiki says that jet in 2004 was unmanned. Maybe that's the difference?

That is likely it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, no one in nasa has a confirmed kill, so they don’t count.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Most NASA astronauts are former airforce guys so idk if that's true.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
This was extremely well made but I fundamentally hated it.

And holy gently caress the americans in this thread defending this poo poo loving terrify me.
You would be so loving ready to support another american invasion of a sovereign country for whatever fake reason your leaders come up with, it's nuts.
Freakiest loving country on the planet.
Just as long as you get your burgs and the moving pictures that make you happy and you don't have to see the bodies of kids blown to shreds by your heroic knights in the sky or better yet, epic gamers using drones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not American. I just want to see F-18s gently caress russia up good.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Not American. I just want to see F-18s gently caress russia up good.

I'm from the Czech republic, my gf of four years is Ukrainian and is literally there right now helping with the humanitarian effort, organizing aid over the border etc. and she, as a person who has better reasons to be pissed, to say the least, about Russia would think you are completely insane. This is cartoon, or as someone upthread has correctly pointed out, sports logic.
This isn't "Conor McGregor is a jackass and I'm going to watch his fight in the hopes he gets knocked out because I don't like him and am going to cheer for Dustin Poirer when he does".
The world doesn't work like that. Did you want to see F-18s gently caress Iraq up good? Cause they did, to the tune of 2 million dead civilians.

Biden could go on tv tomorrow, announce that a strike like that happened, and everyone would forget about the WMD lie and just accept at face value, that the target was legit and the actions taken were righteous and neccessary. poo poo, he probably wouldn't have to announce it because no-one cares, because as someone else has again pointed out, strikes happen all the time. The silent part is - and no-one stateside gives a gently caress anymore how many civilian casualties there were, no-one cares that kids in Pakistan are afraid to look at the skies because of drones. USA is the good guys.

*and just preemptively - the people who are writing things like "learn to separate entertainment/art from reality, like me, an adult you baby" - gently caress you, you don't get to sweep this bulshit under the rug. Not when fascism is on the rise all over the world. One of my best friends is an openly gay man of roma descent and yesterday we had a serious conversation about him maybe coming up with plan to move to another country because it is entirely possible that a few years from now, we will have a government that will not consider him an actual human being. Hungary is almost there already.
This is absolutely a fascist loving movie, how many times does Maverick tell Rooster "Do, don't think!" - we as always go back to Eco, and the aforementioned cult of action.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 23, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Majkol posted:

This was extremely well made but I fundamentally hated it.

And holy gently caress the americans in this thread defending this poo poo loving terrify me.
You would be so loving ready to support another american invasion of a sovereign country for whatever fake reason your leaders come up with, it's nuts.
Freakiest loving country on the planet.
Just as long as you get your burgs and the moving pictures that make you happy and you don't have to see the bodies of kids blown to shreds by your heroic knights in the sky or better yet, epic gamers using drones.

This is a borderline unhinged post.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's a pretty impressive kill count for each F-18

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

weekly font posted:

This is a borderline unhinged post.

No, living in a country that exports death for profit like it's gummy bears and cheering it on is.

This article is from 2014 - you think things got better since then?
https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/americas-secret-war-134-countries/

Majkol fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 23, 2022

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit
But muh jets

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

1) the U.S. has too many foreign military adventures that end in death and destruction for pretty much everyone involved

2) this movie about airplanes was a lot of fun and I'd like to see it again

Look at me, having two different thoughts in my head like a normal adult

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Majkol posted:

No, living in a country that exports death for profit like it's gummy bears and cheering it on is.

This article is from 2014 - you think things got better since then?
https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/americas-secret-war-134-countries/

Yeah it actually does rule. We’re #1 USA USA USA

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

ninjahedgehog posted:

1) the U.S. has too many foreign military adventures that end in death and destruction for pretty much everyone involved

If the subject matter was about a bunch of rapists, who are the best rapists in the entire world and in the process of setting the greatest rape spree of all time, that was super hard to pull off and throughout the course of the mission they forged new friendships, worked out some of their issues etc., it was insanely well made, had amazing visuals, would you still feel the same way?

I am not going to put words in your mouth but I suspect not. If the answer is yes, then find something else, that for you would be over the line, and then ask yourself why american militarism is not beyond the same line. It's not satire, it's not a dark comedy. There is a line in the film where Jon Hamm's character says that the pilots they have assembled are the best of the best and Maverick tells him, that that's what they've been hearing for years, while dropping bombs from miles above. His point was that this was a different type of mission, but think about what he is saying. These cool, diverse, sexy people were probably training Saudi pilots to drop bombs really good on Yemeni civilians just a few weeks ago. Why does this not bother you the same way other things do?
Planes are cool, dudes rock, it's cool that they actually put in an age appropriate love interest for the main character, real stunts and good cinematography own. But it's still a vile loving movie.

I understand the desire to enjoy things guilt-free, but I just can't when it comes to things like this. Not if you actually fully grasp the reality behind this sugar coated propaganda.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Majkol posted:

If the subject matter was about a bunch of rapists, who are the best rapists in the entire world and in the process of setting the greatest rape spree of all time, that was super hard to pull off and throughout the course of the mission they forged new friendships, worked out some of their issues etc., it was insanely well made, had amazing visuals, would you still feel the same way?

Umm you should probably step away from your computer for a bit...

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

B-Rock452 posted:

Umm you should probably step away from your computer for a bit...

For saying that rape is bad, so is war and you shouldn't like films celebrating people who do those things? Why are movies about people who drop bombs on other people more socially acceptable than movies about heroic rapist for you?
*poo poo, it's a movie about american military, like half of the characters potrayed probably actually are sexual predators who were just not convicted because they have friends in high places or are just too drat good to convict.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 23, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Majkol posted:

For saying that rape is bad, so is war and you shouldn't like films celebrating people who do those things? Why are movies about people who drop bombs on other people more socially acceptable than movies about heroic rapist for you?

For coming up with an absolutely insane comparison involving rape squads... Also the movie is called Top Gun Maverick. If this bothers you so much why did you go see it? You had to have some idea what it was about before you paid money for it...

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Anyway, I am stepping away.
Pictured here, some kids enjoying Top Gun:Maverick.

*I didn't pay money for it. And the whole point was to make a stark comparison, to make you ask yourself why one thing bothers you more than the other. Like war is literally the worst human invention.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 23, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Majkol posted:

:chloe:

Yes, this scenario you just made up and decribed in .... bizarrely disturbing detail would indeed be bad

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/550259-ron-desantis-eyed-top-gun-streaming-release-with-latest-maverick-reboot-ad/

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

ninjahedgehog posted:

:chloe:

Yes, this scenario you just made up and decribed in .... bizarrely disturbing detail would indeed be bad

I literally just replaced military jet pilots with rapists, otherwise it's the plot of this movie. I'm leaving it to you to decide which is worse.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Me a normal person: wow this movie involving fighter jets going really fast is a lot of fun but I also know the military industrial complex is bad and I think America shouldn't bomb people.
You an insane person: WHAT IF WE REPLACED THE JETS WITH RAPISTS HOW WOULD YOU LIKE THAT MOVIE!!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You should consider logging off the comedy forums instead of inventing rapist fanfilms as a thought experiment.

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit
I think the issue is that you don't actually think it's bad to bomb innocent people for America's empire

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh man yeah that’s definitely what we all think. Rack ‘em. But keep posting through this, its going great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They weren't people they were the enemy. The movie was very clear on this. Try paying attention next time

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

majkol is unironically right

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

I had a lot of fun thinking about the brown children quoted that they fear clear skies because of American air superiority as the jets got me hooting and hollering

Also, just because nasa was founded by nazis, it doesn’t mean any of the nerds working there nowadays has a confirmed kill like Maverick, which the movie goes out of its way to point out is the only one to have done so in modern combat (because it’s fantasy).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Top Gun's the highest grossing movie of the year outside of the US so the "problem" isn't just Americans.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I literally think America's drone program should be shut down and every single living President should be [REDACTED] for their crimes.

I also think that this movie ruled because it takes place in fantasy land. It's not real, and they take great pains to make it not real, and the main argument seems that the American viewer will somehow confuse reality and fantasy and suddenly think that F-18s and the USA are so cool that they can drop bombs and shoot missiles wherever they like because of this movie. My friends, they already thought that. I think the bigger problem that you're having is that America is a cruel and vicious place, a culture that deifies inflicting pain and retribution on the deserving (please see my first sentence, where I absolutely fall into this trap). After 9/11 I can't tell you how many Americans wanted to quite simply nuke the entire Middle East. This is not a sickness that's going to be exacerbated by the Top Guns.

Look I don't know if y'all are aware of this, but late empire America kind of has a thing where, when the chips are down, we make these movies with these ridiculously talented action guys inflicting violence in morally unambiguous ways as an escape from our miserable declining society. Please see the previous paragraph for why these sorts of specific fantasies land here in America. The people watching these are not being propagandized, they are under no illusions. Nobody thought a single guy could kill everyone in Val Verde to get his daughter back. Nobody thought that a single Green Beret could win the Vietnam War. Nobody thinks that F-18s deserve to fly into other countries and blow up their poo poo from watching this movie unless they already believed that. These are fantasies directly from the id of America to the big screen, not sophisticated vehicles for building support for the American Empire. That's why this is resonating with so many Americans. It's cool tech, designed by America, built by America, flown by Americans of all different backgrounds coming together to help each other for a good and justifiable reason.

It's also complete bunk, of course. That's the fantasy aspect.

I suppose you could say that Navy fighter pilots being the "good guys" is the dangerous aspect of this film, but at this point I'm tuning you out because, in the disgusting milcomplex stew of drone operators, Raytheon contractors, war-profiteering ex-generals, psycho 'operators', black sites, and lying politicians pushing war to line their pockets, "the guys and gals who fly the expensive planes on patrols" are so, so far down the list that they're nearly irrelevant.

Tainted_Node
Aug 1, 2022

by Hand Knit
I'm immune to propaganda too dude

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You're spending emotional energy virtually screaming at strangers about the Bad Plane Movie and you're making no progress at all. All that's going to happen here is that you're going to leave this thread as a total failure, but with a pointed sense of moral superiority while the world gets worse. The internet status quo remains unchanged.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

And likely written on a phone or a computer with parts made by cheap, abusive, potentially child labor. Who is the monster now? We certainly do live in a society. Ho ho I am very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

weekly font posted:

And likely written on a phone or a computer with parts made by cheap, abusive, potentially child labor. Who is the monster now? We certainly do live in a society. Ho ho I am very smart.

Because there was so much interesting discourse before their posts and this thread wasn’t wavering into falling from the first page, sure, okay.

Like, you guys can just ignore him and post about how fun the planes are for the 50th time in a row, but I guess the fun movies isn’t as fun to talk about if you have to zero in on the critique instead of posting what you like about the film (planes go brrrrr :blastu:)