Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

You're telling me an octopus fried this rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Magnified Man

I was wondering why it was called 'The Magnified Man'. Was not expecting the answer to be a powerloader - especially in a strip from 1967!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Weembles posted:

You're telling me an octopus fried this rice?

Cthulhu ain’t no slouch in the cookin’ department.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Payndz posted:

I was wondering why it was called 'The Magnified Man'. Was not expecting the answer to be a powerloader - especially in a strip from 1967!

From O'Donnell's forward to this story in the collected edition;

Peter O'Donnell posted:

There's a weird contraption in this story, so weird and unlikely in its function that you might well think I dreamt it up myself to add a touch of fantasy to the scene. But I didn't; in fact I've put in a few words of dialogue hoping to show that this contraption is for real. Or rather was.

I wrote 'The Magnified Man' almost forty ears ago, after reading in some newspaper or magazine a small piece, with an illustration, about an invention that could magnify a man. Since I've never heard another word about it after all this time, I guess it was never developed, but I felt it would make a great visual feature for the strip and that I could build an unusual story around it.

When I read these stories that I wrote many years ago I rarely remember what happens next or how they work out in the end, and I have to say that this is one. I got Modesty and Willie into such a dire situation that I became very worried as to whether they'd ever get out of it. Fortunately, they managed to in the end.

Phew!

Based on O'Donnell's quote and the date this was released, I'm guessing the "contraption" O'Donnell read about was the Hardiman that was being developed by GE.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Crab Dad posted:

Cthulhu ain’t no slouch in the cookin’ department.
Culture note: He made oyakodon, a bowl of rice topped with chicken and egg, so called because "oyako" means, ghoulishly enough, "parent and child". It's yummy!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Giant Ethicist posted:

Culture note: He made oyakodon, a bowl of rice topped with chicken and egg, so called because "oyako" means, ghoulishly enough, "parent and child". It's yummy!

I don't know how ghoulish that is. But it does tickle me that egg and beef donburi is tanindon, with "tanin" meaning "strangers" to contrast with oyakodon.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

I use a cheap document scanner I got at Walmart years ago, and when I scan I weigh the book down with some paperbacks to make sure I get the page as flat as possible. Samovar's suggestion of just using a phone cam is probably all you need though.

I should add again that the books I'm getting Prince Valiant from are the excellent Fantagraphics collections, and I urge anyone who has been enjoying the strip to buy a few if they can. They are beautiful oversized collections and have some extra art and articles that I have been excluding so that anyone who buys some has extra content to look forward to.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 16, 1952)

Arn isn't big enough to be a true badass yet, but he's trying. :3:

Hey man, the family that slays together stays together.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Boss Dharma is over!? No! It's really good! Aaaaahhhh

Also whew, good job Cthu-pin!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

That really sucks with Boss Dharma ending, that really was one of my favorite strips. Thanks for translating and posting it, it's been a wonderful insight into Korean humor.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

do they mean great contemt instead of better content? makes it sound like boss dharma was bad which it wasnt!

it was pretty good!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it was Good Content

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Oh no, I love Boss Dharma! Thanks so much for translating and posting, you’ve done really excellent work.

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 23, 1919

And He Bluey! August 6, 1919

Cat Tales July 8, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 30, 1936
Spoilered for offensive racist stereotypes.

Mopsy March 12, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out July 30, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 19, 1952

Those Were the Days March 8, 1962

Wee Pals September 22, 1966

Dogbert July 27, 1967

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Cowslips Warren posted:

Q: in selkie mythos, what happens if the dude/thief of her pelt dies? Is she freed then?

I'm way behind, did this get answered? The selkie gets her pelt back and she returns to the ocean, because the man holding it hostage and hiding it from her is dead and can't stop her from looking any more. In a case like Sasha's, I suppose she'd be a cursed creature who can never find peace and would continue to stalk and obsess over Lee for the rest of her life. A fairy forced out of her natural environment with no way back is incredibly destructive, even if she's reduced to living as a human. The general advice for changelings and other suspected fairy folk is to give them wide berth

Sasha is also a little different from the traditional selkie: selkies don't fall in love with their captors. That's why their husbands steal and hide the seal skins in the first place. Most Seal Women stories, of which selkies are a type, end with the seal woman finding her pelt and abandoning her husband. Sometimes she takes their child/children with her, sometimes she leaves all or some of them behind, but she always ditches the husband

Stories of selkies falling in love with a human are local variants; those stories usually end with the selkie returning to the water after her husband dies, but not always right away

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 23, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I haven't commented much on Boss Dharma, but I've been quietly enjoying it for a long time now. My sincere thanks to you for all the work that you put into translating it for us.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (August 22-28, 1983)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Aww, Boss Dharma! Thanks for translating and sharing!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

:munch:

Old School Peanuts (Sep 28, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 15-16, 1992)

Big Nate

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

She will be such a good therapist some day

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Farewell, Chief Dharam. It was alright after all.

In today' Blueberry: So you mean to say Vigo's acting like a politician, then? nyuk-nyuk-nyuk - I should write for the Tonight show!, or Blueberry gets bad news from Vigo, or Jim makes a portentous vow

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:rip: Boss Dharma.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

:siren: GATEWAY DRUGS :siren:

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 15, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That is the least recognisable depiction of Abraham Lincoln I have ever seen.

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics
No one within the comic understands why Victor Sebastian was secretly drugging Sara Laneer, and I'm beginning to think that the author doesn't either. It's just going to end with Rex saying "sometimes drug dealers give away free drugs without even telling the person they're giving them to for no reason I guess."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for posting Boss Dharma. Maybe it will return again one day when Dharma gets another promotion unexpectedly.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 23, 1952)

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 23, 2022

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I miss my 5 1/4 in floppy of Civ2 saves.

Oh man. Great setup.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 15-16, 1992)

I absolutely adore the parent's dialogue in this one. They're having the time of their lives!

Medenmath posted:

Pleasure cruise indeed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Born 30 Years Too Soon ^^^

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/22/02

Brenda Starr 5/1/49

Smokey Stover 9/18/49

Everyday Movies 7/2/35

"Look up some place where I can get a complete rest this summer."

Bonus Ad! Another Fabulous Fab adventure and ... good Lord.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Another Fabulous Fab adventure and ... good Lord.

It was a more innocent time... I think... I hope.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

manero posted:

Nancy Sluggo is Lazy 1947

8/20

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

These are both good examples of wordy Bushmiller Nancy strips to contrast against the modern ones. Every speech bubble is either a joke or there as a foundational component of the joke, it isn't an obvious setup, two panels of filler, and then the obvious callback joke to panel 1 like in 90% of nu Nancy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Medenmath posted:

"Don't worry sir. We may have failed the mission and lost half our men but there is no way Boltar could have identified us so-"
"Sir! Boltar's ship just entered the harbor!"

Doors will open.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might only kill a few of them in the immediate vicinity, but King dad might also follow up again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Zelda

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Stop hassling Sluggo Nancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus