Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Varane's problem is not being able to string appearances together before breaking into a million pieces, not sure how Casemiro helps there.

Great signing, I don't care what numbers get spent on players, better there than the Glazers loving skimming it. My only issue with the fee is we know there's only a certain amount the club is prepared to spend in any window so this absolutely writes off another decent midfield signing (definitely needed, we need more than one) and puts doubt on resolving the striker problem/getting cover on the wings/doing anything about the fullback problems.

Idk how you can say "great signing" and then the bolded part, doesn't that make it not a great signing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sourdough posted:

Idk how you can say "great signing" and then the bolded part, doesn't that make it not a great signing

"great signing" from the point of view he's a good player still within the peak of his powers and he's absolutely an upgrade in a position we sorely need. It would probably have been more accurate for me to say "great player to sign, but" in hindsight. 60m+ is a good chunk of what we're normally willing to spend in a window with lots of other positions in need but that doesn't negate how much of a vast upgrade Casemiro is on, say, McTominay.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

"great signing" from the point of view he's a good player still within the peak of his powers and he's absolutely an upgrade in a position we sorely need. It would probably have been more accurate for me to say "great player to sign, but" in hindsight. 60m+ is a good chunk of what we're normally willing to spend in a window with lots of other positions in need but that doesn't negate how much of a vast upgrade Casemiro is on, say, McTominay.

Ah I get you :hai:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Remember that Fred cost £52m? I just did

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Remember that Fred cost £52m? I just did

Honestly Fred could be fine if he's not made to play as a 6, as we saw glimpses of under Rangnick.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

reading rumours that the big Chels want Harry Maguire and while it's the most obvious clickbait unsourced pot-stirring in history I'm still lolling and lmaoing about it

dare to believe

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I remember when 24m for Didier Drogba was considered so outlandish that big transfers who weren't immediate successes were measured in Drogbas

An infograph going around about big-money sales of people over thirty showed that Batistuta cost £30 million as a thirty year old in 2000, which seems insane. Like he won them the league so fair enough but it was astronomical money for a guy that age.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reading rumours that the big Chels want Harry Maguire and while it's the most obvious clickbait unsourced pot-stirring in history I'm still lolling and lmaoing about it

dare to believe

tbf he's probably fine in a back 3 he's not organising

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Unless Chelsea bid >£40 million United can't sell Mqguire. They would be left with Martinez, Varane, Lindelof and Jones left and Martinez is the only one of them whose legs and/or back aren't made of uncooked spaghetti noodles and papier-mâché.

Also this Maguire being poo poo thing is overblown. He's pretty good with the ball at his feet and good in the air. Every CB is going to look awful playing a high line with poo poo midfielders and no sweeper keeper behind.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

There's not a snowballs chance in hell Man Utd sell Maguire for £40mil. Honestly I don't think there's a chance they sell him at all, he's their captain.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shame

Shroud
May 11, 2009

jettisonedstuff posted:

Unless Chelsea bid >£40 million United can't sell Mqguire. They would be left with Martinez, Varane, Lindelof and Jones left and Martinez is the only one of them whose legs and/or back aren't made of uncooked spaghetti noodles and papier-mâché.

Also this Maguire being poo poo thing is overblown. He's pretty good with the ball at his feet and good in the air. Every CB is going to look awful playing a high line with poo poo midfielders and no sweeper keeper behind.

Isn't Bailly still there?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shroud posted:

Isn't Bailly still there?

About to sign for Marseille

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I remember Bailly looking like a great purchase in his first few games. I hardly follow United but it seems like they just failed to develop the talent they have.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bailly has moments where he looks like the best defender in the world. Sadly he's made of glass and pure chaos, so he's just as likely to injure himself or put the goal in his own net.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1561606901716189186?s=20&t=33SVLog-8Cx21Rt3BLWXog

That could be good imo

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

How in the hell do they need yet another winger vs a defensive midfielder to cover for Partey?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

There's enough covering for Partey going on already

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
wait casemiro cost 60 million pounds for a brazilian over 30 who's entire game was based on running around a lot? lmao

im sure THIS is the galactico signing that'll turn man utd's fortunes around

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bruh

Also it sounds like the holding midfield spot rotation would include Elneny and Lokonga potentially, plus maybe pulling Xhaka back and having two of Vieira/Smith Rowe/Odegaard/Saka(??) as twin 8s.

It’ll be easier to judge the depth once we see a League Cup/Europa League lineup, but that’s my guess. Still makes me nervous, but I can see a plan.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

EC10 posted:

wait casemiro cost 60 million pounds for a brazilian over 30 who's entire game was based on running around a lot? lmao

im sure THIS is the galactico signing that'll turn man utd's fortunes around

Their scouting department hasn't upgraded from FM2018, so they're just gradually accumulating Real's champions league winning team

Looking forward to them next signing Kroos, Modric and Carvajal

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

webmeister posted:

Their scouting department hasn't upgraded from FM2018, so they're just gradually accumulating Real's champions league winning team

Looking forward to them next signing Kroos, Modric and Carvajal
They would be challenging for the title with those three tbh

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Am I right in thinking that dan james is shite? I remember everyone talking about how quick he was when he signed for utd (which is generally a bad sign). I can't remember ever watching him play (which is another).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jippa posted:

Am I right in thinking that dan james is shite? I remember everyone talking about how quick he was when he signed for utd (which is generally a bad sign). I can't remember ever watching him play (which is another).

He's a good lad who tries hard, and will be winning the World Cup this winter.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He's good when he's playing out wide where he can use the pace, I like him a lot but he is not going to win the world cup, because England are going to win that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jippa posted:

No, you're right, pace merchant with very little end product. About 19 inches tall as well. He works hard which helps him in the system Leeds play.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
chelsea's transfer window makes no sense at all, 60 millions for anthony gordon?!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
10 years from now we'll find out that 59 of the 60 million was paid direct to lampard who gave it straight back to Chelsea, and he'll be forced to step down as England manager

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

wooger posted:

How in the hell do they need yet another winger vs a defensive midfielder to cover for Partey?

They definitely need the cover for Partey but I think they probably are afraid they can't get anyone as good, and want 'internal solutions' instead (and hope that he's not sent down).

They need someone to give Saka a break is the basic idea. He's played every game he's available for for ages.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

tristeham posted:

chelsea's transfer window makes no sense at all, 60 millions for anthony gordon?!

And we need a CM because Kante can play two games before missing a month and Kovacic is a permacrock.

Leeds could’ve gone through our midfield in a potato sack last weekend.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Adnan Januzaj is still a free agent, age 27.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

Adnan Januzaj is still a free agent, age 27.

Anyone know what’s going on there? I’m not exactly a devoted La Liga watcher but I was under the impression he had proven to be competent if not great or entitled to Janusaj wages at Sociedad.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

He keeps being linked with West Ham but I think that's more the David Moyes effect than anything else

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Saw a rumor that Naby Keita is unhappy and wants a move to which I say ok sure, go ahead and leave next summer on a free.

He definitely has never lived up to his hype or price tag of 1.5x Carroll's, with so many false dawns and "maybe he's finally turned the corner" then an inevitable injury or something dumb. Probably best to move him on once there's more depth in midfield.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

sticksy posted:

Saw a rumor that Naby Keita is unhappy and wants a move to which I say ok sure, go ahead and leave next summer on a free.

He definitely has never lived up to his hype or price tag of 1.5x Carroll's, with so many false dawns and "maybe he's finally turned the corner" then an inevitable injury or something dumb. Probably best to move him on once there's more depth in midfield.

It's frustrating since if Keita leaves on a free, our bargain-hunting recruitment team now have to somehow secure yet another good midfielder. We haven't really replaced Wijnaldum yet. Thiago is still fragile. Henderson is reaching his own twilight. Milner will probably move on to coaching or just move on back to Leeds. Who knows if we finally break Fabinho. If Jones and Elliott don't move up a level this season, that's not a reliably CL level midfield.

Plus, I don't know if there is truth behind the reports about Bellingham, but if FSG is going to do what it'll take to get him (and you have to doubt that since they backed out of Tchouameni once Real jumped in for him), there won't be a lot left to spend.

I don't think my eye is good enough to know if Liverpool should be in for Tielemans or some other unsettled fellow in the PL or elsewhere. I know online fans would love a new buy right now, but Liverpool don't have a great record with panic purchases.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Newcastle are supposedly buying Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad for £60 million. Hope it goes through, would like to see how he does in the PL.

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011

Syncopated posted:

Newcastle are supposedly buying Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad for £60 million. Hope it goes through, would like to see how he does in the PL.

I thought we were looking for a wide forward who could play alongside Wilson, but looks like he plays centrally? Whoever we get will be playing in the centre for the 50% of the season Wilson is injured anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Why are Chelsea trying to spend £60m on Anthony Gordon while shipping out Hudson Odoi on loan