Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/TLDRNewsUK/status/1562013972580147201

Let's fuckin' goooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Bonus points if you can really trash people's gardens while digging for the installations so I can come in behind and work my landscaping magic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's more than doable, especially since

Salisbury Snape posted:

if you can drive a <10t excavator
will be all of us soon :toot:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
If they let me drive an HGV the country has bigger problems haha

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Guavanaut posted:

Uh that's driving license changes Guv. Excavators are their own separate license. But hgv changes would mean you could load up a much bigger machine onto your truck and drive it around job to job.
Current licensing limits you to a 3t machine on a 500kg trailer. Most contractors run around with 1.5t diggers because it leaves you with enough excess weight to actually carry around buckets and small amounts of material.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't wait for my post-Brexit freedom to do this down a rural road with a digger on the back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

The changes being proposed will just revert driving licenses to pre 97 where we all get 7.5t allowance back on a standard license, not full articulated 40t heavy goods, that will still require a C1+E advanced driving test

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Can't wait for my post-Brexit freedom to do this down a rural road with a digger on the back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

You can already do this if you really want. Since the removal of trailer licensing you can take a vehicle and load it up to 3.5t then chuck a trailer loaded to 3.5t and drive on

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Something happening in the background on Twitter for most of us is that Chocolat, amongst other bestselling novels, writer Joanne Harris, chair of the Society of Authors, the trade union for writers, has long been a proponent of trans rights, and the usual toxic brigade have been after her throat from the get-go, and most recently between the Salman Rushdie stabbing and finding out that her son recently came out as trans (I'm assuming trans man, given the pronouns she used in announcing his coming out), they've ramped up the attacks on her.

Anyhow, she wrote a Tumblr blog about it all that's a nice read into a sane voice in the popular discourse https://twitter.com/Joannechocolat/status/1561623114689024000

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I think it's time for the government to end unnecessary red-tape & bureaucracy & let people drive any vehicle without a license or test. Stop holding Britain back

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

What they don't mention is that if they give everyone back the 7.5t limit on license, you still can't just go and get a job driving anything over the 3.5t limit we already have. You would still have to complete a £250 CPC course to allow you to drive commercially.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But it would give me the right to buy a 7 ton truck and try reversing it around the corner like it was a Fiat Uno. This is important for freedom.

forkboy84 posted:

I think it's time for the government to end unnecessary red-tape & bureaucracy & let people drive any vehicle without a license or test. Stop holding Britain back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITP93pqtdQ

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Footage from the M5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc7mxaOHY54

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Also for those that have spent tens of thousands converting VW transporters and other midi vans into day vans and campers, your investment is about to eat an entire bowl of poo poo when we can suddenly go and buy a 7.5t lorry for a couple of grand and live and drive around in it with three to four times the space of a lovely VW van.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Opens up some options for affordable accommodation I guess.
Why pay £1200 a month renting a box room from some cuntbag slumlord when you can buy a lorry and live wherever you want

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Entire M25 turned into affordable housing. Nobody notices for the first month.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So we're (belatedly) trying to sort our poo poo out before October - we hadn't given a gas reading since May and it was a pretty big lump sum to deal with, but we figured we'd be better start checking again instead of just not paying for gas for ages and then getting hosed in winter. They tried to give us a smart meter and it worked for a little while and then it stopped working (by the by, I remember someone in one of these threads saying it's really a bad idea to let them install a smart meter - why is that?)

The way things are going, we should really get on the fixed rate, like, pronto, right? My partner dislikes the idea of paying nearly double what we currently pay, but I'm telling her we'll be glad of it in four months time, let alone six. Also presumably "no exit fees" means we can switch back to variable whenever (if some miracle happens and prices come back down)?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Previous thread consensus was go with the variable rate because either the government will intervene, and the bill won't be that bad, or the government doesn't intervene, and the mass uprising will probably be the more pertinent issue.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Salisbury Snape posted:

Also for those that have spent tens of thousands converting VW transporters and other midi vans into day vans and campers, your investment is about to eat an entire bowl of poo poo when we can suddenly go and buy a 7.5t lorry for a couple of grand and live and drive around in it with three to four times the space of a lovely VW van.

I might actually be able to find a decent secondhand van for work without a seeming army of twits driving prices up thinking it's a grand plan to gentrify a vauxhall vivaro with some ikea units, a few doilies and a leaky shitter before giving up after ruining the thing and putting it on autotrader as a "nearly finished project, thousands spent"

Would prefer if the whole kerfuffle over ukraine would stop loving me over on pickup trucks though

Also not having to worry about stacks of explosives being piled up next to a soviet era nuclear reactor in a warzone would be cool, but c'mon, I want my loving hilux

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

but there's a van involved

Barry Foster posted:

(by the by, I remember someone in one of these threads saying it's really a bad idea to let them install a smart meter - why is that?)
If you have one of the ones with a contactor in it then they can theoretically cut your power off without needing a warrant to enter the premises. But they can't do that without filling out an impact report anyway, and they'd open themselves up to massive liability if they tried, so it's more in line with "don't have an outside meter because they can disconnect you without a warrant" worries.

With the older generation smart meters the more practical concern was that they were poo poo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Previous thread consensus was go with the variable rate because either the government will intervene, and the bill won't be that bad, or the government doesn't intervene, and the mass uprising will probably be the more pertinent issue.

Feels like a bit of a gamble to me

and if we can go with the fixed rate and then drop out whenever we feel like it, that seems to be the best of both worlds (which does seem to suggest I'm missing something, because nothing is that easy)

Guavanaut posted:

If you have one of the ones with a contactor in it then they can theoretically cut your power off without needing a warrant to enter the premises. But they can't do that without filling out an impact report anyway, and they'd open themselves up to massive liability if they tried, so it's more in line with "don't have an outside meter because they can disconnect you without a warrant" worries.

With the older generation smart meters the more practical concern was that they were poo poo.

Gotcha. Our gas meter is outside so it seems pretty moot anyway

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Feels like a bit of a gamble to me

Oh I agree, I'm not saying it's an enviable choice whether to flip a coin as to whether you get steamrollered by the greed of capital.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
MoD review into statues of racists reveals that they're good actually and we need a few more.

https://twitter.com/FinucaneCentre/status/1561710264650702850

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/LGBwiththeT/status/1561743391905415174?s=20&t=HNQcf5ejyALkh19H9SuP0Q

Extremely lol and good - is anyone brave enough to descend into TERF twitter or Mumsnet and see the reaction?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Salisbury Snape posted:

Opens up some options for affordable accommodation I guess.
Why pay £1200 a month renting a box room from some cuntbag slumlord when you can buy a lorry and live wherever you want

Prime real estate near the coast with good transport connections.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Salisbury Snape posted:

Have fun with your insurance and fuel consumption, tho.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Yea, fuel and insurance won't be amazing, but still a lot less than forking over £14.5k a year in rent

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

If they let me drive an HGV the country has bigger problems haha
No, you've misunderstood the massive changes to HGV licenses - it'll be the licenses that are massive.

And blue. :colbert:

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I had Shell hassling me for ages to install a smart meter, I let them install it but it took two appointments because the first guy seemingly couldn’t be arsed to finish the job and handwaved about needing a part to fit the gas meter.

A few weeks later and the electricity data isn’t coming through, Shell have apparently tried to fix it remotely and it won’t work. Their solution is “sorry, technology is poo poo, you’ll have to submit meter reads again. But this will be by email as you can no longer use the app since it thinks you have a smart meter”. So I’m stuck with worst of both situations, and paying £233/month for the privilege, while they’re making billions in profit.

I managed to pressure them to get someone round to reinstall the electric meter, but who knows if that’ll fix it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

I had Shell hassling me for ages to install a smart meter, I let them install it but it took two appointments because the first guy seemingly couldn’t be arsed to finish the job and handwaved about needing a part to fit the gas meter.

A few weeks later and the electricity data isn’t coming through, Shell have apparently tried to fix it remotely and it won’t work. Their solution is “sorry, technology is poo poo, you’ll have to submit meter reads again. But this will be by email as you can no longer use the app since it thinks you have a smart meter”. So I’m stuck with worst of both situations, and paying £233/month for the privilege, while they’re making billions in profit.

I managed to pressure them to get someone round to reinstall the electric meter, but who knows if that’ll fix it.

Yeah they keep trying to get me to fit one and I keep telling them to gently caress off because meter readings work fine for me, and I’ll keep doing it until they become mandatory somehow.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The national grid is planning on making it cheaper for people of the avoid using energy between 5-8pm. So having a smart meter will be needed to take advantage of that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62626908

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Down here we have already seen a huge surge in people stocking up on solid fuels and anything that will combust for their open fires and Rayburn's/agas.
MOD site job last week and the boys had cars turning up at the end of every day to take as much green fresh cut logs as they could fit. Most of these people are fully aware that the logs are going to be terrible for burning this year but they don't care.
Builders merchants used to have skips for all the pallets and material braces, now they just dump it all out the front of the yards with a "free" sign and it's gone before you can blink.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Why don't people dry up their poop and burn that?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Because our waters are so contaminated that non-liquid poo poo will soon be a thing of the past.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
An exciting swim has been ruined by the presence of this... LIQUID FILTH!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The loathsome dung swimmer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

FromSoft knew exactly what they were doing when they decided that their failed, rotted kingdoms full of mindless, hideous beasts would be voiced exclusively by British people.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
That reminds me, innit weird how you never hear about Jimmy Saville Gary Glitter Boris Johnson anymore. Whatever happened to that guy?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tesseraction posted:

The loathsome dung swimmer.

Stephen Baxter had something like that in one of his novels, something like in the far flung future parts of humanity have turned eusocial and some humans evolved to swim in and eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

That reminds me, innit weird how you never hear about Jimmy Saville Gary Glitter Boris Johnson anymore. Whatever happened to that guy?

Died on the way to his home planet.