Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

we went from 1.5" rain forecast for today in CT to .75" to now the whole system has apparently skipped us in favor of other, more inland parts of the state. lol. i am never going to see rain again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the north east this summer has been so bad for rain predictions every ten mins they change their mind radically

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Wamsutta posted:

we went from 1.5" rain forecast for today in CT to .75" to now the whole system has apparently skipped us in favor of other, more inland parts of the state. lol. i am never going to see rain again.

same same same

i'm watchin the clouds spool up and disappear

we went from "It's gonna rain from 4am til midnight" to "I dunno a scattered shower or two, get hosed"

starting to look like that satellite photo of England around here

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1561744879381782528?s=21

https://twitter.com/nwswpc/status/1561726402608627716?s=21

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's

all

TROPICAL!!!!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
imagining 30 million armed texans migrating outward as climate refugees and lol lmao

Laterite has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Aug 22, 2022

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

There's that 1 in 1000 year thing again. Lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i'm the collin country residents getting mad when they're told they can't water because there's still a drought

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Laterite posted:

imagining 30 million armed texans migrating outward as climate refugees and lol lmao

imagining the national guard stationed on the border keeping them in

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

God must hate my ex too!

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1561040349535113217

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

things don't seem that bad... uh...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You don't even need hurricanes anymore!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the dingo ate your beibei

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/low-water-levels-danube-reveal-sunken-ww2-german-warships-2022-08-19/

quote:

PRAHOVO, Serbia, Aug 19 (Reuters) - Europe's worst drought in years has pushed the mighty river Danube to one of its lowest levels in almost a century, exposing the hulks of dozens of explosives-laden German warships sunk during World War Two near Serbia's river port town of Prahovo.

The vessels were among hundreds scuttled along the Danube by Nazi Germany's Black Sea fleet in 1944 as they retreated from advancing Soviet forces, and still hamper river traffic during low water levels.

However, this year's drought - viewed by scientists as a consequence of global warming - has exposed more than 20 hulks on a stretch of the Danube near Prahovo in eastern Serbia, many of which still contain tonnes of ammunition and explosives and pose a danger to shipping.

"The German flotilla has left behind a big ecological disaster that threatens us, people of Prahovo," said Velimir Trajilovic, 74, a pensioner from Prahovo who wrote a book about the German ships.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
lol we pulled 3 people out of the flood water outside my house in dallas last night

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stoop Kid posted:

lol we pulled 3 people out of the flood water outside my house in dallas last night

looks like it was your turn to record the disaster on your phone :D

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wamsutta posted:

Yep. It was supposed to be like six hours of downpour and we got like maybe an hour of moderate rain. Very cool.

All the trees in my area are turning and dropping leaves which is, uh, extremely lol for August.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Stereotype posted:

:wth:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Stoop Kid posted:

good job

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
So where are we at count-wise this year for massive floods just in the USA this year?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

many

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Stoop Kid posted:

Make sure you adhere to all applicable catch and release regulations and do not exceed ur bag limit

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stoop Kid posted:

:blessed: username post/combo

keep em safe on your stoop, Stoop Kid

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

jesus…..

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

:blessed: username post/combo

keep em safe on your stoop, Stoop Kid

holy poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is dallas a poverty in the low lying areas city or a rich people love creek side property city or both

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

is dallas a poverty in the low lying areas city or a rich people love creek side property city or both

both tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

would love a flood map with census crosstabs

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
deep in the floods of Texas. stay safe lonestar goons

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Every city should drill a really deep hole in the middle, it doesn't have to be too wide but if it's deep enough all the water can flow into there and no floods can form

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SorePotato posted:

Every city should drill a really deep hole in the middle, it doesn't have to be too wide but if it's deep enough all the water can flow into there and no floods can form

Like these but deeper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfJOW2PtrGk

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah but instead of a dumb underground cavern that looks like a huge waste you could go very deep with it instead. You can have the same volume if you have a meter diameter hole and drill it down a few miles. Plus you have a bunch of cool rocks afterwards that can be sold as yard stones to fund the project

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

SorePotato posted:

Yeah but instead of a dumb underground cavern that looks like a huge waste you could go very deep with it instead. You can have the same volume if you have a meter diameter hole and drill it down a few miles. Plus you have a bunch of cool rocks afterwards that can be sold as yard stones to fund the project

What if you just drill through until you get to Japan and use theirs? :thunk:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SorePotato posted:

Yeah, but then you're pretty likely to drill too deep and suddenly you're city is over run underground beings of unknowable horror or some such, also unless you dig the hole deep enough so the ground temp will evaporate the water away, that holes just gonna keep filling up with water. Then when it's done you'll just have to dig another hole.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, but then you're pretty likely to drill too deep and suddenly you're city is over run underground beings of unknowable horror or some such, also unless you dig the hole deep enough so the ground temp will evaporate the water away, that holes just gonna keep filling up with water. Then when it's done you'll just have to dig another hole.
we already drilled too deep and unleashed unimaginable horrors. then we made a pact with them to get short term power, at the cost of our very existence.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SorePotato posted:

you go down that far the rocks get pretty warm actually

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SorePotato posted:

Mister Musk, does the SEC know that you’re here?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Having a meter wide and few miles deep hole wouldn't work well anyway since you'll be limited by the amount of water being able to flow into the hole, so this design wouldn't be able to prevent flooding if there is more water piling up than would go in the hole.

How about a hole few miles wide and a meter deep instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:hmmyes: floodplain, meet floodchode