Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

So hey I saw that the game was having a ten year celebration and I decided to hope in again, I haven't played since well since launch and I have a level 80 char warrior any advice on what I should be doing i'm hella confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Start a new character, but do not delete the old one(s).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
3 (?) days until free spirit shards :toot:

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Mohawk Potato posted:

So hey I saw that the game was having a ten year celebration and I decided to hope in again, I haven't played since well since launch and I have a level 80 char warrior any advice on what I should be doing i'm hella confused.

Echoing the "start a new character". It'll get you back up to speed on the game and then you can go back and forth between them whenever you want.

Then you can look on YouTube for some guides on how to get gear for 80 builds

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Extremely hosed up that the little nerdy pear-shaped goblin people get lovingly rendered heavy armor sets that blow everyone else's out of the water while the giant warrior cat people who pound metal plates together with their bare hands just get "hmmm I guess we can just take the human armor set and stretch it out to hideous proportions and then cut the bottom half of the helmet off so we don't have to worry about their muzzles."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
What, the three cultural armors aren't enough for you?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

They have like 2 heavy helmets that actually look good and one of them costs 1,000 gold.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Extremely hosed up that the little nerdy pear-shaped goblin people get lovingly rendered heavy armor sets that blow everyone else's out of the water while the giant warrior cat people who pound metal plates together with their bare hands just get "hmmm I guess we can just take the human armor set and stretch it out to hideous proportions and then cut the bottom half of the helmet off so we don't have to worry about their muzzles."

There are quite a few helmets and boots that haven't taken Asuran ears and toes into account. Like, not even hiding them, but literally just letting them clip through the surface of the armor. It looks real bad and it's ruined more than one look for me :smith:

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Drone Incognito posted:

Echoing the "start a new character". It'll get you back up to speed on the game and then you can go back and forth between them whenever you want.

Then you can look on YouTube for some guides on how to get gear for 80 builds

At which point should I worry about getting the expansions?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

so less than 2 days until the 10th birthday present, what do yall think it's gonna be?

i'm guessing we'll get a unlimited enrichment or something.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mohawk Potato posted:

At which point should I worry about getting the expansions?

If you like the game asap.

HoT gives you gliding, some decent Meta's

PoF gives you mounts that are game changing

EoD gives you........ the jade bot, with a self rez every 10 mins or so. (i really had to think of that one)

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Meskhenet posted:

This is the right answer.

All the maps for the expansions require level 80 though. They'll give you level boosts when you buy them, but I wouldn't recommend using them on your first character.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Meeko posted:

so less than 2 days until the 10th birthday present, what do yall think it's gonna be?

They did the birthday karma infusion already, but something similar that could be accessed from the legendary armory would be awesome.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Meskhenet posted:

EoD gives you........ the jade bot, with a self rez every 10 mins or so. (i really had to think of that one)

Since getting the the glide boost with max upgrade, I haven't used any other module

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I decided to finally get back into this game after 7.5 years. Was able to easily reset my old password and get my very old account. All I remembered was that I had a max-level necro plantman, and catlady princess mesmer and asura engineer alts. I log in and see they're ALL max level! Which I don't even remember doing but I guess I did.

My inventory is littered with a bunch of random items that I don't even know are for. Some are for random quests or the like and I'm pretty sure I left them there since they don't look like they're auto-placed gifts for returning players or whatever. But it's been over 7 goddamn years so I have no flippin clue! I log into my mesmer and the first thing I see is that I'm on a floating platform with a chest on it next to a blimp, with a bunch of human enemy npcs everywhere. After some time, I think I remember that this place was for logging in and getting a reward from the chest once a day or something, without having to run through the dungeon.

I'm just completely overwhelmed at the mess I left behind and I can't remember what anything is. I'm considering making a new character and just relearning everything from there, which was what I planned to do from the start. Still could use some help though. Is there a goon guild that's still alive? Any other rando guilds I should avoid? I just need help and friends.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Meeko posted:

it will probably be something disappointing that goes in the toys wardrobe. i'm thinking something like the halo but instead it's a little floating '10' icon above your character

9th birthday cake platter was an excellent gift and it would be great if they topped it. maybe a siege turtle skin that turns it into a birthday cake

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

10 spirit shards

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So I decided to finally get back into this game after 7.5 years. Was able to easily reset my old password and get my very old account. All I remembered was that I had a max-level necro plantman, and catlady princess mesmer and asura engineer alts. I log in and see they're ALL max level! Which I don't even remember doing but I guess I did.

My inventory is littered with a bunch of random items that I don't even know are for. Some are for random quests or the like and I'm pretty sure I left them there since they don't look like they're auto-placed gifts for returning players or whatever. But it's been over 7 goddamn years so I have no flippin clue! I log into my mesmer and the first thing I see is that I'm on a floating platform with a chest on it next to a blimp, with a bunch of human enemy npcs everywhere. After some time, I think I remember that this place was for logging in and getting a reward from the chest once a day or something, without having to run through the dungeon.

I'm just completely overwhelmed at the mess I left behind and I can't remember what anything is. I'm considering making a new character and just relearning everything from there, which was what I planned to do from the start. Still could use some help though. Is there a goon guild that's still alive? Any other rando guilds I should avoid? I just need help and friends.

Yes, both GOON and SFD are alive and well, details in op. Levelling another character is a good idea, just don't delete any of your old characters.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

where the red fern gropes posted:

it will probably be something disappointing that goes in the toys wardrobe. i'm thinking something like the halo but instead it's a little floating '10' icon above your character

9th birthday cake platter was an excellent gift and it would be great if they topped it. maybe a siege turtle skin that turns it into a birthday cake

When the birthday cake first came out , people didnt think it was that good.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

The blimp is a connivence area that the wiki calls lounges that there should be a ticket for somewhere in that character's inventory or shared inventory. It's not the nicest one but it used to be. Don't toss it out, either you paid real money or paid for it with grinding in game. The login rewards are just part of the login' in.

Use /wik + shift click a bunch to identify what things are and toss out things you don't want. A lot of stuff can be sold or salvaged or etc. Make sure to open the gifts as the box they come in at first is soulbound.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Flytitle posted:

The blimp is a connivence area that the wiki calls lounges that there should be a ticket for somewhere in that character's inventory or shared inventory.

Surrounded by enemy NPCs? Sounds like the end of the Aetherblade jumping puzzle.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Oh I totally missed that, you're right.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I checked this out over the weekend, after not looking at it for a year or two. Am I misremembering, or could you swap weapons during combat? Very weird. I've mapped the swap key to the space bar, so I figured I must've used it frequently.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

All professions except elementalist and engineer can swap between two weapon sets in combat

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Yeah it was Elementalist

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

HoT gives you gliding, some decent Meta's

PoF gives you mounts that are game changing

jade bot level 10 gets you 250 vit which is not nothing?

Also, for anyone with lw4 - push for the skyscale, it makes live so much easier

DoNotFeedTheBear fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 22, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

With the upcoming Steam launch, does anybody want to take a crack at making a new thread? Arus/CLAM DOWN did a good job with this one but he's not active anymore :smith:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm around but not really playing much anymore. Someone else can feel free to pick up the OP mantle, you can steal my entire post(s) and edit/update them. It's been a good 8 years playing this game, thanks for the fun all.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I've been working on one on and off, I'll see if I'm able to get it ready in a few days.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

And remember everyone

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

10th birthday rewards are out:

quote:

10 year account reward is the Delectable Dye Pack, a wardrobe unlock, 2 Anniversary Weapon Packs, and 2 Dragon Decade Weapon Packs.

10 year character reward is 5000 karma, 2 Black Lion Statuettes, 2 birthday boosters, 30 spirit shards and "Proof of Legend", trade to special vendor once the celebration begins for "special rewards".

weapons are mostly like this

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’d rock that GS

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
They didn't bother making underwater decade weapons lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Uhhhhhh, that dye kit, wardrobe unlock and the weapon packs are once per ACCOUNT.

What. The. gently caress.

edit: To be clear, when you log on with your first decade character, you'll get all the stuff listed above but it's not clear really what comes from what.
Thankfully I picked decade weapons I'll likely use but GEEZ.

Guess that means we can never complete that collection.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The last birthday package had some per account stuff, too

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
They've been doing 'once per account' unlocks for anniversaries since year 4. City themed backpacks, Luminous weapons and then armor, now this is our second year of the dye kits. Look forward to finishing this new set in 7 years!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Is it the same dye pack as last year? If they keep giving one per year it will only take what like 5 more years to complete?
My 10th bday isn't until December 26th so I'm living vicariously through y'all.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Shield owns

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Anyone else think it’s kind of stupid that these rewards are linked to account age? I guess it’s nice that they’re not time limited but it would make more sense to me for the character ones to be age specific and account ones universal for logging in during the anniversary event.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I wonder if it goes by time too, my account age is 3650 days but nothing yet for me. I probably didn't start playing until evening though.

And yeah there should be some kind of anniversary gift for everyone even if you just joined on steam today or started last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Speaking of which, are the anniversary sales just not happening this year or what?