Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Kassad posted:

They just added some slides at the end of the film to show that the villain went to jail, don't do anything silly now

its well known that the censorship rule is that "criminals" have to be punished, they can be killed or they go to jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Indeed, the military worked with China to create a fighter jet.

I was talking more of the economic aspects. Shiny fighter jets get a lot of eyeballs but the PRC dumping a lot of investment in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi matters more.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Joe Biden should fo some debt trap diplomacy on my student loans.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

genericnick posted:

You start posting on the internet and suddenly you have strong opinions on Black Hammer and Jeb! Many such cases.

Who, and who?

eSports Chaebol posted:

hmm. a debt trap so insidious and 11-dimensional that it involves unconditional forgiveness of debt. say what you will about Structural Adjustment Programs, China is clearly SO evil it’s literally impossible to comprehend how they’re being evil and not good. fortunately I don’t limit myself to believing in “possible” realities

I bet the only reason China is doing this is a tax write-off.

And don't forget how much ~*~influence~*~ this buys them!

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 08:29 on Aug 23, 2022

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how is the Chinese state responding to the extreme heatwaves they've been enduring in terms of long-term adjustments in their cities?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So this happened

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202208230001
Suspect who killed 2 police arrested after manhunt

Here is the gist. I am prarapharing it from different Chinese articles. Guy got 8 year for robbery. Got transferred to a minimal security prison after 1 year. He escaped and stab 2 cops to dead when he got questioned by the cops (no shot were fired even though the cops had guns. This is not US remember)

There is other juicy detail like his mom was living with somebody and cut his penis off and was on the run for 8 years etc.

What's interesting is this minimal security prison, it's a different word in Taiwan (外役监), it's a lot more lax than the US "minimal security prison". There is no wall. It's basically a farm you work on. You rest in the weekends and you get to go home during national holidays. You just have to come back to the prison after the vacation. What other countries have super chill prison like this?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

DiscountDildos posted:

https://twitter.com/SGMWorldnews/status/1561868558396964864?s=20&t=IGPLE-ihHXvwGScn_mQUzA

Lmao just yelled at the Brits until they committed to spending billions of dollars tearing down already installed equipment

lol I love how america really put the lie to the concept of free market with how they treated the Chinese tech companies once they started feeling the heat of competition.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Gotta make your market free for American capital.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PGH is the Philippine General Hospital, and "sino po bang binoto nyo?" translates to "well, who did you vote for?"

ever since the elections, the liberals have been on a tear with adopting this mentality

- "I'm not going to donate to charities anymore, because a Marcos supporter might get it"
- "we need to set-up some kind of system so that Marcos supporters can't receive aid after typhoons"
- "if you help former VP Robredo's NGO, the government is just going to take all the credit for it"
- "since they voted for Marcos, they should ask for help from him!"
- "I'm done trying to help people - these people need to experience 'tough love' and feel the consequences of their actions"

a recurring phrase is "ginusto nyo yan", which translates to "you wanted this"

it's sickening, and it sucks, and it's just people feeling entitled to tapdance over the suffering of others

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

gradenko_2000 posted:

- "I'm not going to donate to charities anymore, because a Marcos supporter might get it"
- "we need to set-up some kind of system so that Marcos supporters can't receive aid after typhoons"
- "if you help former VP Robredo's NGO, the government is just going to take all the credit for it"
- "since they voted for Marcos, they should ask for help from him!"
- "I'm done trying to help people - these people need to experience 'tough love' and feel the consequences of their actions"

a recurring phrase is "ginusto nyo yan", which translates to "you wanted this"

it's sickening, and it sucks, and it's just people feeling entitled to tapdance over the suffering of others

Did someone plug Serbia and Philippines into the same reality generator or something? I swear, a lot of your posts about your country make me go "well doesn't that sound familiar" regarding mine, sometimes present, sometimes past. (And the ones that don't sound familiar do end up sounding familiar a few years later)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tend to think that countries and societies and our respective experiences within them tend to be more similar than we realize, especially under the broad swath of all of them being capitalist societies (or even are also developing nations)

like, I imagine most Filipinos would think that "vote-buying" is a uniquely Filipino political practice, or at least is a thing that's been eliminated in other more developed countries, and yet when I was reading that book about Ukraine, it said:

quote:

as of 2010, a quarter of its population struggled below the poverty line, while the wealth of fifty oligarchs equaled nearly half of the country’s GDP, and they owned most of the major media channels.⁴ One in five Ukrainians told a 2010 survey they were willing to sell their vote.⁵

and boy doesn't that sound familiar?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Doesn't it indeed. :(

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's interesting is this minimal security prison, it's a different word in Taiwan (外役监), it's a lot more lax than the US "minimal security prison". There is no wall. It's basically a farm you work on. You rest in the weekends and you get to go home during national holidays. You just have to come back to the prison after the vacation. What other countries have super chill prison like this?

It sounds like something half way between probation and jail, which afaik has no parallel in the west. Norway is infamous for having those swanky prisons that are exactly like any small town, but they're also on an island so you can't leave.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tend to think that countries and societies and our respective experiences within them tend to be more similar than we realize, especially under the broad swath of all of them being capitalist societies (or even are also developing nations)

A lot of what you're describing sounds like petit bourgeois arrogance, which anybody would be familiar with. Liberals have a right to rule expectation because they're hegemonic globally, so it naturally makes sense that they ought to be in charge all the time. Then they can blame all your country's problems on the masses being too backwards or reactionary instead of investigating their own political failures.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 14:38 on Aug 23, 2022

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my dad posted:

I've mostly stopped posting in this thread since it shifted its focus, but I'll note that this is... kind of how things are in Serbia, too, although while the online aspect of it is just as USA focused, the super land of perfect everything is usually the EU.

After the collapsing my country to levels not seen since we were at war, there's still people who genuinely think the ideal would be for Germans and French to take over the government since they're clearly more enlightened and developed and we only failed in austerity because it was practiced by dirty natives.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think debt trap notions regarding China have been thoroughly debunked but is some more good stuff.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/china-forgives-debt-for-17-african-nations/news-story/28ab7f45440142634ff8efd0360b2fec

I love the comments.

Rubbish. You must have got your translation wrong. China forgives nothing...ever.

Redo your translation, read the fine print in these contracts before you misprint this rubbish. Remember the Uyghurs, Taiwan and Solomon islands and Tiananmen square. Look at their call in of debts around the world.

China DO NOT do anything for unselfish reasons. Most likely, it is part of the policy to present themselves as nice guys to the West. China is going through the 2nd cultural revolution under Xi Jinping. It is the responsibilty of every democratically minded person to question China's motives and resist their insidious tactics.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched like hundreds of hours of 4k walking videos during WFH. My expert opinion is that most of the modern cities dwellers share pretty similar living experience.

It's like using a $200 smartphone and a $800 smartphone from the same model year, the number difference look big but actual difference is pretty small.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

double nine posted:

how is the Chinese state responding to the extreme heatwaves they've been enduring in terms of long-term adjustments in their cities?

https://twitter.com/pretentiouswhat/status/1561995831909445632?s=20&t=7ekgL-e3gcZY3Yx6F5HAnQ
They're gonna nuke it maybe I dunno I'm not an energy guy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
always funny when taiwan's own ministry of defence posts these maps wailing about "intrusions"

https://twitter.com/MoNDefense/status/1562042703999008768?s=20&t=26oCJuMZLBnW_S7nmwKaXg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's like using a $200 smartphone and a $800 smartphone from the same model year, the number difference look big but actual difference is pretty small.

faildroid user spotted

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mans posted:

China DO NOT do anything for unselfish reasons. Most likely, it is part of the policy to present themselves as nice guys to the West. China is going through the 2nd cultural revolution under Xi Jinping. It is the responsibilty of every democratically minded person to question China's motives and resist their insidious tactics.

Stuff like this is always so funny to me. There is obvious return in investment for China, but the most part countries get a bunch of money for infrastructure without any of the austerity or other bullshit that the IMF imposes.

When the only 2 deals on the table are China and the IMF. It's incredibly easy to see why countries pick China almost every time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As an American I will never understand or support the Chinese state showing the police as good or jails as things that can have positive or neutral effects

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Mans posted:

After the collapsing my country to levels not seen since we were at war, there's still people who genuinely think the ideal would be for Germans and French to take over the government since they're clearly more enlightened and developed and we only failed in austerity because it was practiced by dirty natives.

I love the comments.

Rubbish. You must have got your translation wrong. China forgives nothing...ever.

Redo your translation, read the fine print in these contracts before you misprint this rubbish. Remember the Uyghurs, Taiwan and Solomon islands and Tiananmen square. Look at their call in of debts around the world.

Last year (or the year before I can't remember lol) when the pandemic was at its peak in India one of my coworker friends had just got off the phone with one of our colleagues in Hyderabad and felt compelled to come over to my desk to talk about how bad it was then he said "and you know it's way worse on China but they're just not telling us."

After some back and forth and me saying something like "dude they couldn't just hide that lmao that's ridiculous" he was like "of course they're lying the Chinese lie about EVERYTHING." He was enraged and it was bizarre.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueAnon/comments/wv04b9/ama_the_chinese_social_imperialists_are_building/

Some guy on the TrueAnon subreddit (yes I know it's reddit) did an ama about Chinese development in Ghana.

quote:

The uncles are so goddamn pissed off about that. Three of them are construction workers, for years one would go and sign in the others for the day, and they would rotate who works. The Chinese don't allow this for some reason. Probably because they don't want their projects to be bloated costly debt traps.

As for the transition to industrialization, there are currently two distinct and competing middle classes in Ghana. There are those who arose from the functionaries of the feudal aristocracy. Not the families of kings and chiefs, but their distant relatives and bureaucrats/retainers. Mind you, they have degrees and doctorates, but most of these were acquired through connections or outright bought. They expect to be hired and paid well, but not to work. So if you check the books anywhere in Africa for a Western project, you will see 10 engineers on the payroll doing the work of 2. 8 foremen on salary who have never set foot on site, etc. These people play an important role in preventing industrialization and eventually economic autonomy. They are parasites through and through. And it's not all middle class either. If you make your living selling bottled water, you don't want potable water coming out of the taps. If you own the public pit toilets (costs a few cents to use), you DO NOT WANT people to have toilets in their house! If you own the water bottle company or the plastic poo poo bag factory, Europe is your best best buddy!

Meanwhile, China refuses to play this game, and a lot of workers on their projects are locals who have either gone to school in China, or a local program run by China. The dudes building this building are at least 90% black. The engineers who designed my house were Ghanaian. But they were trained to actually do their jobs in China, and they are not related to the chief.

So TLDR: If you see hundreds of dudes, half of them sleeping in the shade, building a really hosed up bridge that will collapse in 10 years, it is probly a project of the West. There are 8 bulldozers on site and they haven't been used in weeks. There has never been a white person at this site, the only white people involved are IMF debt collectors.

If you see a normal construction project where most people are working, it is probably Chinese. There is usually one pissed off Chinese dude there shouting at everyone. This project will finish on time and on budget, and will help move the country towards economic independence and away from neocolonialism.

For a 300 page book elaborating on what I just wrote, check out Kwame Nkruma's Neo-Colonialism, the Last Stage of imperialism

at https://www.marxists.org/subject/africa/nkrumah/neo-colonialism/introduction.htm

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

As an American I will never understand or support the Chinese state showing the police as good or jails as things that can have positive or neutral effects

not all police are for protecting private property and bourgeoisie. China police and USA police have different objectives.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

not all police are for protecting private property and bourgeoisie. China police and USA police have different objectives.

Reminds me of one of my favorite wholesome china stories

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/06/27/196226493/u-s-businessman-trapped-by-chinese-workers-is-freed

quote:

American businessman Chip Starnes finally left his factory in China on Thursday after he and a union negotiator worked out severance payments for Chinese employees.

Starnes had been stuck inside his medical supply parts factory since last Friday. That's when workers, fearing they were all going to be laid off and that the company wasn't going to compensate them fairly, blocked all of the exits out of the plant. Starnes couldn't get out.

The AP notes that "it is not rare in China for managers to be held by workers demanding back pay or other benefits, often from their Chinese owners. Police are reluctant to intervene, as they consider it a business dispute."

"I just thought I'd have maybe a little more support on the outside from the local government or something, saying this isn't the right way, how to get something done," Starnes told Nightly Business Report.

Some Chinese workers believe direct action is the best way to solve labor matters rather than going through government channels, James Zimmerman, the former chairman of the American Chamber of Commerce China told the Wall Street Journal.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

Huh, sounds like one of those open air places in India. If you are on good behavior and are showing reform you can work outside but have to report to prison after work hours with more generous family visits (as in you can visit your family for a fortnight every once in a while)

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Dear God that sounds amazing. Here's hoping Africa and everywhere else china invests are able to accomplish cool stuff too. Despite us having pillaged the while world for the lions share of a century I don't think we've ever really benefited as much as we could from everyone else being prosperous too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

*american leftist voice* shame on china for snitching, everyone knows work sucks and the only moral thing is to let people slack off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i meant to quote the animeistrash reddit story about ghana there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lets try again

quote:

there’s a difference between confronting someone and detaining them

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DiscountDildos posted:

Last year (or the year before I can't remember lol) when the pandemic was at its peak in India one of my coworker friends had just got off the phone with one of our colleagues in Hyderabad and felt compelled to come over to my desk to talk about how bad it was then he said "and you know it's way worse on China but they're just not telling us."

After some back and forth and me saying something like "dude they couldn't just hide that lmao that's ridiculous" he was like "of course they're lying the Chinese lie about EVERYTHING." He was enraged and it was bizarre.

North Korea claims to have covid under control again and afaik they're still pursueing zero covid as policy.

So if you believe them (and boy isn't that a big if) North Korea is literally a better place to live than the rest of the world except China when it comes to covid.

But you know, these exact same things as those comments on China is what I've been told my entire life about North Korea and it is the biggest of taboo's to question that. So who is to say what is reality?

My main point here is that it seems to be that the objective of western capital and it's owned media is to copy the narrative they have so succesfully pushed about North Korea onto China. That is, "You can never trust a word they say as they constantly lie and oppress their own people in the most total and brutal of ways, so you can't even trust any Chinese people because they just say poo poo out of fear for what will happen to them/their families". In fact, the only sources you can trust on China is western sources. And let me tell you, China so very bad."

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Aug 23, 2022

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueAnon/comments/wv04b9/ama_the_chinese_social_imperialists_are_building/

Some guy on the TrueAnon subreddit (yes I know it's reddit) did an ama about Chinese development in Ghana.

surprisingly wholesome comments section for reddit. if that subreddit is like that i assume it'll get quarantined soon

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mila kunis posted:

surprisingly wholesome comments section for reddit. if that subreddit is like that i assume it'll get quarantined soon

It owns, I had no idea there was chinese walmart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wumart

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It owns, I had no idea there was chinese walmart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wumart

quote:

Chinese for "good product"

well, I'm convinced!!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mila kunis posted:

Probably at the same time as redscarepod and stupidpol, yeah.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

mila kunis posted:

op is p funny. yeah trueanon sub is alright in terms of geopolitical sympathies but detailed local stuff like this is rare

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

their police forces weren't a natural progression of slave catching squads lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

this allusion meant posted:

op is p funny. yeah trueanon sub is alright in terms of geopolitical sympathies but detailed local stuff like this is rare

It's fine although it does attract the same dogbrained personalities you are probably familiar with if you have browsed the UFO or Epstein threads.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

North Korea claims to have covid under control again and afaik they're still pursueing zero covid as policy.

So if you believe them (and boy isn't that a big if) North Korea is literally a better place to live than the rest of the world except China when it comes to covid.

But you know, these exact same things as those comments on China is what I've been told my entire life about North Korea and it is the biggest of taboo's to question that. So who is to say what is reality?

My main point here is that it seems to be that the objective of western capital and it's owned media is to copy the narrative they have so succesfully pushed about North Korea onto China. That is, "You can never trust a word they say as they constantly lie and oppress their own people in the most total and brutal of ways, so you can't even trust any Chinese people because they just say poo poo out of fear for what will happen to them/their families". In fact, the only sources you can trust on China is western sources. And let me tell you, China so very bad."

It's such an insane tactic too bc you can just like. Watch vlogs from China. Fuckoads of them every day on YouTube and twitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Someone posted these in the Succ thread

[url]https://twitter.com/Changxche/status/1524720040968396800
https://twitter.com/Changxche/status/1524720042432245761
https://twitter.com/Changxche/status/1524720044143480832
https://twitter.com/Changxche/status/1524720045645041670
[/quote][/url]