Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If it isn't canceled, maybe that means you'll get a new one? Redditors have been told by Sweetwater they are getting a shipment in early October, maybe there's something more happening with the OpSix at Korg behind the scenes. But, I think it's also possible it'll end up canceled if the product is low-key discontinued. I don't know, though, I hope it works out for people. Korg has really shot themselves in the foot with this blowout and not preparing either themselves or their distribution partners for their stock situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Guitar center cancelled mine because it was back ordered. I didn't ask them to cancel it though..

Turbo Poggs
Jan 6, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

well that's some bullshit

I called Musician's Friend last week & was told mine wouldn't be shipped until 9/23. Got a "Your order is on the way" email this morning.

so who knows!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I like finding out about strange little synth gadgets, or fx pedals that do something new to me.
I stumbled on this amazing thing last night, and drunkenly ordered one.
https://youtu.be/mScGuUlhfQw
USB powered stereo electronic resonator box, with midi, included sequencer, and dual microphones!
While I'm excited to play with it, I'm also a little worried this is going to be one more thing I use to convince myself I need a field recorder. And no, I'm not getting an iPhone or cobbling together a way to put the signal into a trrs android port .

So really, the question is tascam or zoom?

Vvvv Thanks a bunch! Didn't realise Sony would be an option. Figured the zoom choices were solid, but thought tascam was competitive.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 22, 2022

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

I like finding out about strange little synth gadgets, or fx pedals that do something new to me.
I stumbled on this amazing thing last night, and drunkenly ordered one.
https://youtu.be/mScGuUlhfQw
USB powered stereo electronic resonator box, with midi, included sequencer, and dual microphones!
While I'm excited to play with it, I'm also a little worried this is going to be one more thing I use to convince myself I need a field recorder. And no, I'm not getting an iPhone or cobbling together a way to put the signal into a trrs android port .

So really, the question is tascam or zoom?

Zoom IMO. Tascam hasn't really kept up with them on the field recorder front. The H6 is a real workhorse of a field recorder, I've put mine through a lot of dumb poo poo over the years and it's still rock solid, but I think any of theirs are fine. I had a Tascam DR 40 for years and it was fine, though the preamps were impressively noisy so it was worthless with anything that required a decent amount of gain. Basically useless with dynamic mics. I'm guessing the DR-40X is better but I'm firmly in the Zoom world for portable recorders from now on I think.

That said, Zoom, Tascam, and actually Sony are all still solid options as far as I'm aware, though I think Sony has dropped a bunch of models from production in the last couple of years.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Did a quick thing with some NASA space sounds of a black hole.

https://soundcloud.com/thumposaurus...lack-hole-drone

Used VCV rack and loaded the file in a wave table oscillator. Have the file itself playing as a background drone.
The wave table oscillator and drums are controlled by a Turing machine some random lfo modulating other stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B33rChiller posted:

They're really densely packed with features, eh?
In case you didn't realize just yet, it sends pressure info as aftertouch over midi, so you've got a pressure sensitive touchplate controller.

DIY 👏🏼 Buchla

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Kaossilator Pro+ is super fun and I really wish they'd have kept going with a big / "pro" version of this product instead of making them tiny and feature-starved by way of comparison. Maybe the idea was eventually touch screen devices will be so good that the app version will be great but that does not seem to have occurred yet and anyway I really like the discrete "hardware" feel of the thing. I had a lot of fun working on a track using it today, despite its considerable limitations. I don't think I could make a very complex song with just the four built in 16-measure phrases, but using it to put some fun elements together and record them into my DAW is working well so far, and making a quick backing track to jam to on my guitar or a separate synth is very doable. Fun being able to dynamically drop out elements and just have other ones going seamlessly. I guess I should have got into Ableton ages ago and then I'd be doing all this looping poo poo with more sophistication the easy way by now but I yam what I yam.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

i’ve spent more time on patch 1 on hydrasynth than any other patch on any other synth, it truly is an instrument unto itself even without the macro knobs. with the macro knobs its an entire universe and far more than most people deserve

its very good and this also validates me loads

when I first got my hydrasynth, I remember some other muscian being all "oh thats just another fad synth they come around every year or so", but I feel that this is not true.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Thumposaurus posted:

Did a quick thing with some NASA space sounds of a black hole.

https://soundcloud.com/thumposaurus...lack-hole-drone

Used VCV rack and loaded the file in a wave table oscillator. Have the file itself playing as a background drone.
The wave table oscillator and drums are controlled by a Turing machine some random lfo modulating other stuff.

wait what? actual recording of a black hole? that’s so cool!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pillow Face posted:

wait what? actual recording of a black hole? that’s so cool!

Sorta. They picked up pressure waves of a black hole disturbing gasses in its vicinity, and in effect pitch shifted the data into something audible. The original is extremely low frequency, like dozens of octaves below what humans can hear.

It's still super neat though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah they call it sonification the original data that they used to produce the sound is something like 57 octaves below c.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/data-sonification-sounds-from-around-the-milky-way.html

https://chandra.si.edu/sound/index.html

They have some recordings of lots of stuff from around the galaxy.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I no longer regret wiping out my funbux fund to grab an Arpitecht

WMD was sold out when I bought from perfectcircuit, looks like 4 used units still on Reverb. When those are gone I bet people will be listing this stuff for $500 plus.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

xzzy posted:

Sorta. They picked up pressure waves of a black hole disturbing gasses in its vicinity, and in effect pitch shifted the data into something audible. The original is extremely low frequency, like dozens of octaves below what humans can hear.

It's still super neat though.

Thumposaurus posted:

Yeah they call it sonification the original data that they used to produce the sound is something like 57 octaves below c.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/data-sonification-sounds-from-around-the-milky-way.html

https://chandra.si.edu/sound/index.html

They have some recordings of lots of stuff from around the galaxy.

drat that’s v sick, wish i had the know how to create some galaxy wavetables

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MF canceled my opsix order. i guess it beats a broken one.

edit: they gave me a $20 credit for the cancellation though. that's nice.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 23, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Mine just came in. No screen problem. Korg was having a loving laugh selling these at close to $800, though, the hardware is inferior in overall feel to the Novation Launchkey MkIII I have nearby. Light weight plastic, keybed comparable to like $60 midi controllers. Pitch wheel is only smooth on the down motion, bit of a feeling of a "catch" in it going up. But it works, gonna dig in once I get it updated to firmware V2.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 23, 2022

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Agreed posted:

Mine just came in. No screen problem. Korg was having a loving laugh selling these at close to $800, though, the hardware is inferior in overall feel to the Novation Launchkey MkIII I have nearby. Light weight plastic, keybed comparable to like $60 midi controllers. Pitch wheel is only smooth on the down motion, bit of a feeling of a "catch" in it going up. But it works, gonna dig in once I get it updated to firmware V2.

I don't think it compares to the Digitone at it's MSRP, but it's loving great at $350.

(I say this as someone who loves keys! Digitone has so much sequencer cooked in.)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I always think of those two the other way around, the digitone is a 4-operator thing where you have to share envelopes between the two "B" operators and I think it had something weird going on with the ratios too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6tgpOFMp0

well this took an hour but most of that was me looking at actual sheet music for the first time since, oh, 1999 and realizing "I have no idea how any of this poo poo works".

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Can't update the firmware. Device manager found it with a RNDIS driver but korg's update software could not. No option that it tells me in the update instructions to use, because that was for a later firmware than this original one. And, I wasn't sure if the default RNDIS driver was right or if it needed RNDIS6 driver, figured it wouldn't hurt to check but THAT WAS WRONG, now it won't let me put the original driver back but device manager can't see it as anything anymore but fails to recognize it. No way to roll back to the previous driver, because it just doesn't show up now. So I think I'm kinda hosed here. Had to be some whacked out weird poo poo, couldn't just plug n' play like every other loving studio thing.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Pillow Face posted:

drat that’s v sick, wish i had the know how to create some galaxy wavetables

metasynth https://uisoftware.com/metasynth/ (mac only though)

izotope iris 2 https://www.izotope.com/en/products/iris.html

and my personal favorite for price and convenience, virtual ANS https://www.warmplace.ru/soft/ans/

all three can do sound generation based on images, though iris is i think more spectral focused while metasynth and virtual ANS are all about importing and doodling on images to make your noises

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Agreed posted:

Can't update the firmware. Device manager found it with a RNDIS driver but korg's update software could not. No option that it tells me in the update instructions to use, because that was for a later firmware than this original one. And, I wasn't sure if the default RNDIS driver was right or if it needed RNDIS6 driver, figured it wouldn't hurt to check but THAT WAS WRONG, now it won't let me put the original driver back but device manager can't see it as anything anymore but fails to recognize it. No way to roll back to the previous driver, because it just doesn't show up now. So I think I'm kinda hosed here. Had to be some whacked out weird poo poo, couldn't just plug n' play like every other loving studio thing.

OPSIX more like PSYOP-SIX

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It changes categories depending on what kind of driver you picked, RNDIS is a usb networking thing so it's gonna be under either network adapters or usb devices in device manager

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Need to spin the firmware roulette this weekend. This seems like a very dramatic blowout sale, not sure how good for Korg it has been.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

its very good and this also validates me loads

when I first got my hydrasynth, I remember some other muscian being all "oh thats just another fad synth they come around every year or so", but I feel that this is not true.

nah mate it’s a stone cold instant classic. look. there are some people who want a synth because they want to make a sawtooth wave and smoosh it through a filter, because that’s what they want in their tracks because that’s what everyone’s done in their tracks. that want synths to be in the same box as clarinets and violins, a piece in an orchestra that has a known and expected part to play that has as little thought put in it as their doggerel they call lyrics.

when in fact synths were invented because ol Lev Sergeyevich Termen was tasked to make an electric watchdog by the soviets and in so doing accidentally made a very funny, extremely expressive musical instrument that transcended everyone’s
understanding of what an instrument could be.

Expressiveness is everything. A great synth should sit in the dark, lit by moonlight, vomiting your brains into sounds that could never be heard before or again because it would be worthless to any other moment. Soulful and real. A band, an audience, the cages of the metered stave and tempered scale, all superfluous at best, harmful at worst. A synth’s job is to make you laugh and your enemies weep. Always has been.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well it won't talk to my newest Alder Lake build for poo poo, but my old Sandy Bridge PC I built in 2011 works like a charm with it. Got it updated, the librarian software works fine on that one too. Absolutely weird poo poo. I guess I'll try to make it talk to my actual studio PC these days at some point but I had intended to treat it as a hardware synth and all that and not worry too much about running it on my PC so... I dunno, mission accomplished for the time being, I guess. Strange poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a show hidden device thing in device manager for things that aren't currently connected. Maybe you can remove the wrong driver through that.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Wrong driver thing was a red herring, it was indeed just failing to identify on the USB port that it was on. It seems to like a USB 2.0 port, does not get along with 3.0 ports on my Win 11 computer. 2.0, it sees the device on either the RNDIS or RNDIS6. But, it still can't talk to it at all. Maybe it is only compatible with Windows 10? ... It doesn't have any Windows 11 instructions, for drat sure, in the manual, just 7/8/10. Real peculiar. But I have it updated and will dick around with it soon as I can do so, right now I gotta feed a 9 month old :)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The wavestate is an insane device

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

OpSix is loving cool, feel kind of sad to say since folks missed out. But it's rad as hell and really does take the FM synth thing into uncharted territory. Operators get weeeeird, nice effects possibilities, intuitive to control (especially for an FM synth) - just overall a lot of fun, already making some far out sounds with it.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
If anyone here is interested in a Lyra 8 or PO-33, I listed mine in the gear trade thread

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

little jones is havin a good time with his casio keyboard that i got from goodwill. it's cool

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
So.... when are we doing another synth goons compilation? What should the theme be? Sadly, the best idea I can come up with is "Songs About Our Cats", so I think someone else should do this.

We keep talking about our synths, but we should be making actual music with them, too. :cheersbird:

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 24, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im_sorry posted:

We keep talking about our synths, but we should be making actual music with them, too. :cheersbird:

mods ban this sick filth

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

im_sorry posted:

So.... when are we doing another synth goons compilation? What should the theme be? Sadly, the best idea I can come up with is "Songs About Our Cats", so I think someone else should do this.

I kind of like those single samples people share and make tracks out of as a challenge. I'd be down to make something on my Digitakt as I've been focusing on it lately. I don't have a cat but I think I can make some techno for this, pending my release from rehab coincides with the timing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An album of songs about the piece of gear you need to unlock your creativity and finally make some music.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
songs about legos and cameras

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

im_sorry posted:

"Songs About Our Cats"

you tryin to get sued?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

xzzy posted:

An album of songs about the piece of gear you need to unlock your creativity and finally make some music.

one more for the rhodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

im_sorry posted:

Nothing I've made on my MPC or Tracker comes remotely close to being confused for music, so I think I'm exempt from posting examples for now :cool: