Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

thebardyspoon posted:

It's the opposite of fan service really though isn't it. I was like "oh yeah I had been enjoying this episode but then you reminded me that good/alright things can poo poo the bed, did you really want to do that?".
Yeah, definitely fan disservice. At least the beginning of the show reminding everyone about one of the most controversial parts of a lovely ending kind of made sense, just to really make people understand this is happening way earlier. Still, they could probably have written something about "xxx years before Jon Snow joined the Night's Watch" instead, since he's tied into the Targaryen stuff anyway, and it'd reference an event in early GoT so people aren't invited to think about the ending of GoT.

PostNouveau posted:

Just wait until spinoff #8 where we learn Arya was a Targaryen all along.
Rhaegar was somehow the father of all the Stark children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CapnAndy posted:

I choose to believe that HotD is a prequel to the books, not the TV show. It makes the prophecy make sense again. (It helps that since GRRM told them to put that bit in, it's clearly referring to the White Walker invasion happening the way it does in his head.)

I like that idea. Shame they reused the GoT theme song rather than come up with a new one. Makes it feel more like GoT part 2 than its own thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The GoT theme song gives me a shot of pure adrenaline from the show’s heydays and I can’t fault them at all for going with it. If anything I was disappointed we didn’t get more of it. D&D poo poo the bed but the theme song can do no wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This was a comedy of errors at the fantasy hospital and Ned Stark and Rhaegar got switched at birth, and in the end Jon Snow was the only actual true Stark left.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, definitely fan disservice. At least the beginning of the show reminding everyone about one of the most controversial parts of a lovely ending kind of made sense, just to really make people understand this is happening way earlier. Still, they could probably have written something about "xxx years before Jon Snow joined the Night's Watch" instead, since he's tied into the Targaryen stuff anyway, and it'd reference an event in early GoT so people aren't invited to think about the ending of GoT.

Speaking of referencing bad moments, there was a street level shot of a dragon flying overhead in KL that looked almost exactly like a similar shot from the episode "The Bells"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it was to show the viewer that this is a time where the average peasant won't even look up from their daily bullshit to stare in awe at the passing of a wondrous dragon because they do not give a poo poo and that happens every day. it was fine

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well technically this show's events don't actually depict the end of the dragons, because GRRM can't finish a story to save his legacy. The dragons die after (and ugh I guess I should spoil it now that the show has begun) Rhaenyra's sullen son presumably kills them all in the unwritten Fire and Blood sequel as a way to exorcise his trauma from watching one eat his mother

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still, they could probably have written something about "xxx years before Jon Snow joined the Night's Watch" instead, since he's tied into the Targaryen stuff anyway, and it'd reference an event in early GoT so people aren't invited to think about the ending of GoT.
Given that they faded the words out until it just said "172 years before Danerys Targaryen" and that the entire episode was centered on Rhaenerya and if she's going to inherit the throne or not, I think they chose their reference point quite deliberately. Dating it based on the first reigning Targaryen queen is a reminder that things are not going to go the way Rhaenerya wants.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 23, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And like.. the White Walkers and Daenerys aren't completely tainted just because of how they ended. There were 3-4 seasons of excellent TV surrounding both of them.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I disliked how overt the reference was to the White Walkers but maybe it's all an example of the Targaryen's retroactively absorbing Westeros myth into their own history. They must have heard about all of this from the locals/northerners and then after the fact used it to explain/understand/justify why they conquered it in the first place.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BWV posted:

I disliked how overt the reference was to the White Walkers but maybe it's all an example of the Targaryen's retroactively absorbing Westeros myth into their own history. They must have heard about all of this from the locals/northerners and then after the fact used it to explain/understand/justify why they conquered it in the first place.
Targaryens do in fact have prophetic dreams. Not many of them, and it's hard to tell because they know that and thus everyone kind of wants to believe they're one of the chosen few and believes in their own dreams, plus any given Targ may or may not be insane, plus even if they're sane and their dreams are not just regular dreams, prophecy is notoriously hard to interpret. But they can do it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jerusalem posted:

This was a comedy of errors at the fantasy hospital and Ned Stark and Rhaegar got switched at birth, and in the end Jon Snow was the only actual true Stark left.
Lyanna also got switched around, so Jon was still a Targeryan on his mother's side.

That DICK! posted:

it was to show the viewer that this is a time where the average peasant won't even look up from their daily bullshit to stare in awe at the passing of a wondrous dragon because they do not give a poo poo and that happens every day. it was fine
Yeah, that shot actually seemed to have a purpose in its reference, contrasting sharply with the last time we saw a dragon in King's Landing.

CapnAndy posted:

Given that they faded the words out until it just said "172 years before Danerys Targaryen" and that the entire episode was centered on Rhaenerya and if she's going to inherit the throne or not, I think they chose their reference point quite deliberately. Dating it based on the first reigning Targaryen queen is a reminder that things are not going to go the way Rhaenerya wants.
Spoilers??

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's funny that the dragons know the deal with Targaryen funerals. Yeah yeah, this isn't my first corpse bier mate.

Dany: "Dracarys" *instant dragon fire holocaust*

Rhanerya: "Dracarys" *lumbers down slope, taking it's drat sweet time, before lightly braising the Targ corpse*

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Targaryens do in fact have prophetic dreams. Not many of them, and it's hard to tell because they know that and thus everyone kind of wants to believe they're one of the chosen few and believes in their own dreams, plus any given Targ may or may not be insane, plus even if they're sane and their dreams are not just regular dreams, prophecy is notoriously hard to interpret. But they can do it.

Yeah my thinking was that it was like some type of syncretism where they did have prophetic dreams but their understanding of what people saw or understood gets muddled or informed (consciously or subconsciously) by local myths/lore over time.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Prophetic dreams aren't really the problem, it was the placement/delivery of the information about them that was kinda cringey. Like, for all of their flaws, even the Disney Star Wars films knew not to have a bunch of prequel stuff in them. The latter seasons of GoT should be as toxic as Attack of the Clones to the writing staff. My understanding is that White Walkers will play little/no role in this narrative, a generic speech about the burden of leadership and the importance of a strong, unified 7 Kingdoms would have worked better imo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

No one wants to willingly go North, and the one guy who was forced to left immediately to hang out with the city guard because he hates his wife.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Prophetic dreams aren't really the problem, it was the placement/delivery of the information about them that was kinda cringey. Like, for all of their flaws, even the Disney Star Wars films knew not to have a bunch of prequel stuff in them. The latter seasons of GoT should be as toxic as Attack of the Clones to the writing staff. My understanding is that White Walkers will play little/no role in this narrative, a generic speech about the burden of leadership and the importance of a strong, unified 7 Kingdoms would have worked better imo.

The comparison to Star Wars simply doesn't work. In your example everything about Darth Vader/The Chosen one could be labeled as "prequel stuff" too and that was still around in the new movies because they couldn't retcon all of Star Wars history. The White Walkers are a CENTRAL thematic part of the story, it's literally why the books are called a song of ice and fire, and they represent the other big force in this setting. You can't expect the writers to completely ignore them just because GoT bungled the final season/conclusion. It's like expecting Star Wars to ignore everything about the Jedi because Anakin's downfall was rather weak (compared to what everyone imagined).
Besides that we are talking about a very limited reference to create some connective tissue, it's not like they tried to make this a major point in the story, rather it serves to show how this part of Westeros history (and everything up to this point) is related to what we saw in GoT. I will say that it could have been handled a bit more elegant, it was certainly a moment of "exposition dump", but I have no problem with the general decission.
I also find it curious that anyone would think it's a good idea to follow Disney's example in regards to anything. If anything I'd argue the animated Clone Wars show proved that the problem wasn't the prequel (plot), it was all about execution and despite the many weaknesses of the original prequels a show addressed at kids managed to create something better than any new Star Wars movie and now we are at a point where the Star Wars TV shows are heavily influenced by these (prequel) animated shows and are successful because they follow a similar path.
So my argument is basically that you have to own the bad parts of GoT as much as the good parts and your job as writer isn't just to pretend they never happened. A skillful writer can take advantage even of such bad parts (to elevate your storyline, to give more context/complexity to your story, to show a new angle/perspective etc.).

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

lol hes been doing it for like 11 years now, can't tell the sun not to shine

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That DICK! posted:

lol hes been doing it for like 11 years now, can't tell the sun not to shine
I did not think "poo poo goes bad for the Targaryens" was a spoiler and am sorry if I was wrong.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

1) Mandalorian/Clone Wars are good, no bones being made here about that. I was specifically referring to the 3 sequel films, and even more specifically to The Force Awakens, as the first major release in a franchise following a poorly received installment. I like what they've done with the prequel elements in the TV shows, but a scene gushing over Rey's midichlorian count would have been a mistake.

2) The White Walkers are a huge part of the narrative...of a Song of Ice and Fire. I'd be with your point about embracing good and bad if the topic was dragons (obviously necessary to this narrative) as opposed to the ice zombies (which don't influence this story as far as I know).

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

1) Mandalorian/Clone Wars are good, no bones being made here about that. I was specifically referring to the 3 sequel films, and even more specifically to The Force Awakens, as the first major release in a franchise following a poorly received installment. I like what they've done with the prequel elements in the TV shows, but a scene gushing over Rey's midichlorian count would have been a mistake.

2) The White Walkers are a huge part of the narrative...of a Song of Ice and Fire. I'd be with your point about embracing good and bad if the topic was dragons (obviously necessary to this narrative) as opposed to the ice zombies (which don't influence this story as far as I know).

The Walkers don't at all. Maybe if there's ever F&B2, but lol george doesn't write anymore

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CapnAndy posted:

I did not think "poo poo goes bad for the Targaryens" was a spoiler and am sorry if I was wrong.

'poo poo goes bad for the Targaryens' is not what you said- you implied something a bit more specific

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fuligin posted:

'poo poo goes bad for the Targaryens' is not what you said- you implied something a bit more specific
They make a very big deal when Cersei takes the throne that there’s never been a ruling queen before, though. It was known information!

I’m sorry, though, I really am. I’ll edit it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mameluke posted:

Well technically this show's events don't actually depict the end of the dragons, because GRRM can't finish a story to save his legacy. The dragons die after (and ugh I guess I should spoil it now that the show has begun) Rhaenyra's sullen son presumably kills them all in the unwritten Fire and Blood sequel as a way to exorcise his trauma from watching one eat his mother

some of the dragons survive because they gently caress off on their own or else they get non-Targaryen riders because there are more dragons than family members so they offer them to volunteers and the riders just take the dragons and leave

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CapnAndy posted:

They make a very big deal when Cersei takes the throne that there’s never been a ruling queen before, though. It was known information!

I aint mad, just goons might freak

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

he said "things don't go well for [character]" which can be said about like every character in game of thrones except podrick

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it only made me lol cause in all my time on this website i put like 3 people on ignore, all of them in a 2011 youthful tizzy over game of thrones spoilers. not fyad stuff that i understood, but the "heh, wait til THIS happens" people who just couldnt help themselves. and god bless ya capn im sure your posts are good but you were one of them. and 11 years on, in the immortal words of house mormont, here we stand

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I've only read the first 3 or 4 SOIAF books, does Cersei actually take the throne in later books, or was that an invention of the show?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I've only read the first 3 or 4 SOIAF books, does Cersei actually take the throne in later books, or was that an invention of the show?

We'll find out in the Winds of Winter!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Well if you read Feast you'll know what Cersei is up to in King's Landing.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Well if you read Feast you'll know what Cersei is up to in King's Landing.

Tommen was still alive in the last book I read, so she wasn't queen in her own right yet (presumably there'd been queen regencies/regency councils before in Westerosi history).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, Tommen's still alive in the books so who knows. Cersei going "nah gently caress you lot, I'm in charge by the ancient legal precedent of My Frankenstein Will Kill You If You Say Different" is a pretty high percentage bet though, I'd say.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cranappleberry posted:

some of the dragons survive because they gently caress off on their own or else they get non-Targaryen riders because there are more dragons than family members so they offer them to volunteers and the riders just take the dragons and leave

Right, but even those folks' dragons perish during Egg 3's reign, unless you're talking about "the Burned Men worship Sheepstealer" theory or similar

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Thought this first episode was pretty good, certainly better than the last two seasons of GoT in terms of pacing and filmmaking. There was a lot of interesting visual choices being made. I also thought the drama worked quite well, and as someone who has read none of GRR Martin’s works, I was very much intrigued.

Dragon cgi was pretty bad tho.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

There's an entire subplot involving a fake Aegon seizing King's Landing that was cut from the show. It probably explains Dany's heel turn much better, because she shows up to a pretender with an adoring city fully backing him and she loses it.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I thought HBO's House Of The Dragon: A Game of Thrones Story was quite good.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MrMojok posted:

The last line in the show was about the Gurm wanting to remain relevant and telling the showrunners AKSHULLY the Targs knew way back when, from a vision and the showrunners going “Oh, YEAH! Cool!”

That will be all today, plebs. I grow weary of your tiresome complaints.
:smug:

*triumphantly stands up from sword chair and begins to walk regally down the steps*

*robes catch on sword-chair, jerks me back like a dog on the end of a leash, very embarrassing fabric-tearing sound*

Seriously though just one more reason he should stay the gently caress off TV and focus on THA BOOKS

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

The lack of wizard master itt makes me think this thread is garbage personally

Show is doomed without his disapproval

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CapnAndy posted:

The maesters framed it as "let us kill your wife and save the baby or do nothing and pray for a miracle, because right now as far as we can tell, they're both gonna die". He made a horrible but prrrrrrobably correct call, even if he did it in the weakest way possible by, y'know, not giving his wife any input on the decision or even a heads-up before they cut her to death.

GREAT BIG SPOILERS FOR PROBABLY THE WHOLE SHOW

Viserys is gonna marry Alicent and they have sons, so uh-oh, succession crisis. Viserys doesn't want to hear it because as far as he's concerned it's a settled matter, which helps nothing. Alicent's kids are of disputed parentage -- they look an awful lot like Lord Strong, the (Tarly-looking, but they're unrelated) guy on the Small Council, who Alicent is quite friendly with (or maybe his son, I'm not looking it up, whatever). Rhaenyra and Alicent become bitter, bitter rivals. Rhaenyra gets married and has sons of her own. Her sons and Alicent's sons hate each other. Their two factions are eventually named the Greens (Alicent) and the Blacks (Rhaenyra), after gowns they wore to one particular ball. Daemon is a repeated rake and gently caress-arounder, but Viserys loves him and they always make up. Rhaenyra and Criston Cole, the Dornish knight who won that tourney, become very close. Viserys keeps the peace in his own weak, not-quite-enough way.

Then he dies of old age.

Bloody civil war breaks out literally before his body is even cold.

Something happens between Rhaenyra, Daemon, and Cole. We don't know exactly what, except that from that day forth, Criston Cole is Rhaenyra's most devoted enemy and Daemon and Rhaenyra are sleeping together.

The Greens and Blacks gather up their respective loyal vassals and dragons and loving massacre each other, through open battle, secrecy, and treachery. Houses switch sides. Possession of King's Landing itself shifts multiple times. Near the very end, as King's Landing riots and is gripped by we're-all-gonna-die madness, an unknown mad preacher rises up out of nowhere, inciting a mob to storm the Dragonpit (the big round building where all the dragons live). They do and kill every dragon housed there, wiping out almost every surviving dragon that the civil war didn't already do for (and a lot of dragons are gonna die in this thing).

At the end of it, Rhaenyra's side "wins", as it's her son on the Iron Throne, but this is mostly because both sides are out of loving options -- he's the last known male Targaryen alive. He's wed to one of Alicent's descendants to seal the schism. The reigning Stark, having finally gotten his forces down from the North, rolls into town with a completely fresh army and is like "well, clearly none of you incompetent fuckers can be trusted, I'm in charge", makes himself Hand of the King, executes anyone who's still alive who was at all responsible for the war... then fucks off and goes home. Because he is smart and Starks shouldn't stay in King's Landing.

Both the new king and his wife are horribly psychologically broken by the war. Later on, she kills herself (probably) by jumping out of a window before they can even consumate the marriage. He lives a decently long time but is known as The Broken, The Unlucky, and The Dragonbane, because the few dragons who survived the war all die during his reign. (He's likely not very fond of them, having been forced to watch while Rhaenyra was fed alive to one.)

The Targaryens never really pull out of the doom spiral, although Aegon V does his best to arrest the decline and Rhaegar might've been able to do it, but Robert's warhammer never gave him a chance.

It is Rhaenyra who gets on with Strong (who is not the guy on the small council but his younger brother, a Kingsguard Knight) after the Incident with Cole, and her (Velaryon) kids who have disputed parentage and don't look Valyrian despite having that from both sides. Alicent's kids with Viserys I are clearly Targaryens, on the other hand. Daemon and Rhaenyra get it on only after the deaths of his second wife (also Velaryon) and her first husband.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I often wonder if it's just people joking or if they really think Arya being the one to strike the Night Man means the prophecy is stupid. Jon and Dany assemble the force and are the generals. Isn't that like, what the prophecy actually was?

Like when you talk about who beat Custer you mention the leaders of the force, not the person who physically killed him.