Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

i have no problem with spandex i am just amused/bragging about someone getting on to me for going too fast and i was using an ebike i usually use for hauling lots of groceries as a regular bike with the motor turned off

he would not be able to handle the power of my glutes if i was on a road bike

Also yeah ebikes are great and good and im glad its getting more people to get into cycling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

worse is when this happens and then you get there and realize it's all because a highway cop pulled someone over on like a bridge or some other choke-point with no proper shoulder. loving pig!!!

i salute these pigs they should do this more often

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PittTheElder posted:

lol link that poo poo

Nice try, shame on you for trying to bait someone into eating a probe

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Blockade posted:

he would not be able to handle the power of my glutes if i was on a road bike

:yosbutt:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i was thinking about car horns this morning. the default and nearly the only way to communicate to someone else while you're in a car is an angry honk. absolute psychopath design.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

cowboy beepboop posted:

i was thinking about car horns this morning. the default and nearly the only way to communicate to someone else while you're in a car is an angry honk. absolute psychopath design.

also, because cars have to be designed to be super soundproof because their lovely engines are loud as gently caress, the horns have to be incredibly loud, to the point of being painful to anyone closeby who's not in a car

they have played us all for absolute fools

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

"gotta make these sirens loud enough to wake up everyone in a 10 square block radius, someone in a luxury sound-proof bubble in the middle of the road might not hear otherwise"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Along those lines...

https://www.ajc.com/atlanta-traffic/gridlock-guy-traffic-pacing-has-gotten-out-of-hand/R5E3V6Z5VNFO7BHINJHC2UFS3Y/

Atlanta's "Gridlock Guy" is pissed that traffic is slowed down for the safety of "hardly anyone" (highway maintenance is the 16th most dangerous job in the US). What stood out to me is that his rant was directly spurred by the traffic he experienced after visiting Truist Park / The Battery in Atlanta, a place that could hardly have been more poorly designed and placed if they'd tried. You made your bed in Cobb County, sans transit, now lie in it.

Truist Park is across the street from a Red Lobster, you could not recreate the boondoggles of early 1990s land use better than they did

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

webcams for christ posted:

You can still have 500/750/1000w ebikes on EU roads, they just need to be registered as a moped. This means in some countries you need at least a moped driver's license, helmet, license plate, and liability insurance. The worst part is that fast ebikes technically aren't allowed on bicycle paths through parks and such.

I feel like Switzerland has the best compromise, which allows ebikes up to 750w to be considered essentially the same as regular bikes. Above 750w you need a license plate, insurance etc, but you can still use all normal bicycle infrastructure and trails as long as you cut off your motor or stay under 25 km/hr.

I think the fundamental issue is the weird way legislatures have decided to base e-bike regulation on nominal wattage of motors (given how a nominal 250w motor is capable of outputting much more power than that), rather than just requiring speed limiters, or making 25km/h the speed limit on bike paths. A speed limit on bike paths makes the most sense, and lower speed limits for shared paths also, 25km/h feels way too fast for me when I'm in a shared bike path area.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Square Peg posted:

also, because cars have to be designed to be super soundproof because their lovely engines are loud as gently caress, the horns have to be incredibly loud, to the point of being painful to anyone closeby who's not in a car

they have played us all for absolute fools

Modern cars are incredibly quiet even compared to cars like 30years ago. Their engines are very well tuned, very efficient, from outside the car you won't here a stationary one if you are 10ish feet away. The loudest part of car traveling is road noise, i.e. the actual wheel's rolling along the road, and the wind. But of course a huge part of car culture is the isolation that modern car design builds into them. Hearing anything outside the car is considered a design flaw with the natural result being that you shouldn't hear or see anything outside the car either. Thus we have front facing camera's, head's up displays, and we should all rely on sensors to translate the world outside the car to us.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
even low end cars are so quiet, smooth and handle so much better these days. It should be illegal

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Cars these days always have a gentle ride, spry handling, an elegant cabin, spacious seats, intuitive infotainment controls, a stellar combination of cargo and passenger space, perfect safety and reliability ratings, and available family-friendly features. They're fun to drive, comfortable, and upscale. They make every trip fun and demand very few compromises. I hate the fuckin' things.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cowboy beepboop posted:

spoken like someone who never heard this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aEnK4Hywj2k

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

cowboy beepboop posted:

:wrong:

You can do the short double beep as a friendly wake up signal, or the japanese thank you: double hazard blink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oJk8pOJNe0

But either of these or simply smiling and waving at any American driver will get a gun pulled on you most of the time regardless.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pryor on Fire posted:

You can do the short double beep as a friendly wake up signal, or the japanese thank you: double hazard blink

But either of these or simply smiling and waving at any American driver will get a gun pulled on you most of the time regardless.

I just lift a hand up to the side of my head to say "sorry" or "thank you." You can also do it out the window. Not that I ever see anybody else doing it anymore.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

cowboy beepboop posted:

that's not true you can also communicate by waving your gun at someone

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I often wonder about what it would be like if the concept of a bicycle never existed and somebody today thought of it and then tried to make it happen. Can you imagine just how impossible it would be to develop the concept of a bicycle that you can ride on the road with cars as a mode of transport in the modern world if such a thing hadn't already been grandfathered in for hundreds of years? It would absolutely never be allowed on safety grounds, no government anywhere would let you jump on a few kg of metal tubes welded together and wobble around in car traffic at a fraction of the speed limit with zero mechanisms to meet any roadworthiness or crash safety legislation.

I also then wonder how many alternative modes of transport that would be vastly better to what we currently have will just never see the light of day due to the same insurmountable regulatory hurdles (favoring vehicle occupant safety above all other considerations) that have given us the current 'arms race' of increasingly tank-like vehicles. Yes obviously the best mode of transport is not going anywhere, followed by some form of shared public transport infrastructure, but given the infrastructure we have today and without having to force people to change their behaviors too much there are so many things that we could be doing that would still be 1000 times better than what we have.

The same transport engineers who claim they would love to make the city more environmentally friendly would happily ban the concept of the bicycle if it was a contemporary invention and it makes me mad as hell.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blackhawk posted:

The same transport engineers who claim they would love to make the city more environmentally friendly would happily ban the concept of the bicycle if it was a contemporary invention and it makes me mad as hell.
just gunna stop you there, transportation engineers get very little say in anything other than being told "this is what we're doing, give us the los and curvature points". it's all management/city council/board of directors all staffed by rich ppl

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

when I was a kid watching my mom fly into her frequent cuss-filled rages in the driver's seat, I came up with the idea for a device that lets you "call" other cars nearby when you put in their license plate #, so you could amicably resolve disputes or coordinate maneuvers through traffic with the other drivers

looking back on it now i wonder if such a device would actually mitigate road rage incidents, or rather intensify them lol
we might be better off with our current system of highway communication (the hand signal scene from top gun maverick)

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

God Hole posted:

when I was a kid watching my mom fly into her frequent cuss-filled rages in the driver's seat, I came up with the idea for a device that lets you "call" other cars nearby when you put in their license plate #, so you could amicably resolve disputes or coordinate maneuvers through traffic with the other drivers

looking back on it now i wonder if such a device would actually mitigate road rage incidents, or rather intensify them lol
we might be better off with our current system of highway communication (the hand signal scene from top gun maverick)

I think it would intensify them and I think it would be extremely funny. There should be no way to decline incoming calls

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

God Hole posted:

Samuel Glompers posted:

I think it would intensify them and I think it would be extremely funny. There should be no way to decline incoming calls

You might be describing cb radio

Bike guys were the precursor of car guys and the ubiquity of cars might not have been possible without the pioneering work of them. We live in a diminished sin cursed world looking back longingly on what was considered monstrous. Makes you think

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

A speed limit on bike paths makes the most sense, and lower speed limits for shared paths also, 25km/h feels way too fast for me when I'm in a shared bike path area.

in your scenario would normal bikes be exempt from a speed limit? or would that mean all bikes now have to have speedometers equipped

I think legislating the actual motors/physical specifications of vehicles is overall safer than speed governors or other things which can be removed/modified after market. Like you should need a CDL to drive anything over 2000lbs and/or 150 horsepower and it has to be registered to a relevant business or public entity. Private personal ownership not allowed, or at least not on public roads.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

God Hole posted:

15 minutes stuck in traffic becoming 15 minutes stuck in a call of duty lobby with screaming adult children sounds like a great way to get cars banned so I'm all for it

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

fibblins posted:

15 minutes stuck in traffic becoming 15 minutes stuck in a call of duty lobby with screaming adult children sounds like a great way to get cars banned so I'm all for it

haha yeah that rules, every single driver would be waaaay too busy getting into deadly blood feuds with someone who slowed them down or cut them off or whatever to bother with boring stuff like intimidating cyclists or pedestrians.

edit-

the other day i was on a fairly normal residential street (dc goons - 11th st nw) when i hear someone honking behind me. i look back and this guy is driving on the wrong side of the street, running red lights, going down the bike lane, speeding when he can, and whenever someone momentarily blocks him, he starts honking at them. it got me thinking about how people always say 'well maybe it's an emergency' when they see driving like that, because based on the music he was blasting out of open windows and how much fun the driver looked like he was having when he passed me, it sure didn't look like an emergency.

well, yesterday a few blocks away on the same street i saw the same guy doing the exact same poo poo. it's so cool that even in the unlikely event that a police officer would be present and do anything about it, he would probably just get a relatively small ticket that he could pay off and immediately go back to driving the same way. this guy is telling us all he badly needs a time-out from driving but we aren't listening, and over time the odds that someone else is going to pay the price for that are constantly increasing.

Electro-Boogie Jack has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Aug 23, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pryor on Fire posted:

The real question is... was Larry right to beep the cop

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Xaris posted:

just gunna stop you there, transportation engineers get very little say in anything other than being told "this is what we're doing, give us the los and curvature points". it's all management/city council/board of directors all staffed by rich ppl

There is an "Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer!" thread and the OP echoed this point. Political groups have far more influence than any engineer. The funniest story I remember is a politician diverting a highway to save his favorite whore house. The highway's whore-house-diversion curve kills drivers every year.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

There is an "Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer!" thread and the OP echoed this point. Political groups have far more influence than any engineer. The funniest story I remember is a politician diverting a highway to save his favorite whore house. The highway's whore-house-diversion curve kills drivers every year.

For some reason I picture this as the Thurber's Avenue curve in Providence/I95. It goes right over the Foxy Lady and it's an incredibly dangerous curve to boot!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Doing great, thank you!

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1562058075669921792

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Aug 23, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Trust me, you don't want to know its real name

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm certain traffic engineers deserve all sorts of blame for all sorts of poo poo, as well as politicians

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

haha yeah that rules, every single driver would be waaaay too busy getting into deadly blood feuds with someone who slowed them down or cut them off or whatever to bother with boring stuff like intimidating cyclists or pedestrians.

edit-

the other day i was on a fairly normal residential street (dc goons - 11th st nw) when i hear someone honking behind me. i look back and this guy is driving on the wrong side of the street, running red lights, going down the bike lane, speeding when he can, and whenever someone momentarily blocks him, he starts honking at them. it got me thinking about how people always say 'well maybe it's an emergency' when they see driving like that, because based on the music he was blasting out of open windows and how much fun the driver looked like he was having when he passed me, it sure didn't look like an emergency.

well, yesterday a few blocks away on the same street i saw the same guy doing the exact same poo poo. it's so cool that even in the unlikely event that a police officer would be present and do anything about it, he would probably just get a relatively small ticket that he could pay off and immediately go back to driving the same way. this guy is telling us all he badly needs a time-out from driving but we aren't listening, and over time the odds that someone else is going to pay the price for that are constantly increasing.

that driver probably is a cop OP, did he have his plates scratched off? all the cops in nyc do that so the speed cameras can't get them

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

woke up this morning and just thought to myself, i hate cars.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

woke up this morning and just thought to myself, i hate cars.

Top tier thoughts good on you for having them. Try thinking about how good bollards are next it owns

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fINyjTwtPo

Some good bollard action in this video. Watch the car in the background at 2 minutes use the bus lane because they fear the power of the bollard

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fINyjTwtPo

Some good bollard action in this video. Watch the car in the background at 2 minutes use the bus lane because they fear the power of the bollard

"So it's obviously not really working perfectly"

uhhh...yeah? it is?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Maybe if the people recording all those crashes downsized their van to an ebike then they wouldn't feel like the bollards needed to be replaced

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
cars are not good

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bollards are my friend

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
those bollards are heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

leftist heap posted:

those bollards are heroes

If you just duplicated that bollard arrangement on every street, then that one intersection wouldn't have any problems anymore.