Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

I wish I could be there the first time you just rip that little triangle flap right off

Both so I could see your face when it happens, and so I could fix you a cup of tea to console you

A friend of mine was traveling and he visited a goth club that'd been recommended to him, but when he arrived he was pretty underwhelmed. Hardly any people, music was pretty quiet, not much of a vibe at all. He hung around for an hour and danced a little bit and then was getting ready to leave when he spotted someone step out of a door in the back wall he hadn't noticed. He poked his head in and found a massive nightclub in there, it turned out he'd been standing in the foyer all that time.

Similar vibe. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

Deadlifts are primarily for the glutes, not the lower back.

If you want a nice rear end you just need to bite the bullet and do hip thrusts. No other excersize is as effective

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A friend of mine was traveling and he visited a goth club that'd been recommended to him, but when he arrived he was pretty underwhelmed. Hardly any people, music was pretty quiet, not much of a vibe at all. He hung around for an hour and danced a little bit and then was getting ready to leave when he spotted someone step out of a door in the back wall he hadn't noticed. He poked his head in and found a massive nightclub in there, it turned out he'd been standing in the foyer all that time.

lmao i imagine the wardrobe handler scoffed hard

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lmao

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Like the hotel the Hills stayed in in Japan

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

Imagine Los Locos kicking four balls into outer space...

OMG I always thought it was Los Lobos. I havn't seen it since like 1990 in my defence.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I took a wrong turn at a bar I'd been to dozens of times, when coming out of the john. Turns out there was a giant nightclub at the back, with a loving SAAB 99 in there.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
greg bear and elizabeth bear are not married or related in any way!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser
Having just checked their Wikipedia pages, neither of them are bears.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bear with us as we figure out this oso confusing situation of ours

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

Bear with us as we figure out this oso confusing situation of urs

Ftfy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

But ours is already a bear pun en français!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

But ours is already a bear pun en français!

Ah well then, I have no notes, you done good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It wasn't a high Bär to clear, but thanks

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Now you're just panda-ring

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I have no problems with this, karhu on.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm sick of these puns, bern it all down

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Holy smokey, the level of discourse on these forums laid bare. Only you can prevent pun chains!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm sick of these puns, bern it all down

That punishment seems a little grizzly

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Did you know that in several ancient European cultures it was forbidden to say the word for bear lest saying its name attract the beast and kill everyone?

I wish that actually worked, specifically for every poster on this page

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Did you know that in several ancient European cultures it was forbidden to say the word for bear lest saying its name attract the beast and kill everyone?

To the point that the English word for bear doesn't, etymologically, mean "bear". It comes from the word for brown. The original word is lost.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tenebrais posted:

To the point that the English word for bear doesn't, etymologically, mean "bear". It comes from the word for brown. The original word is lost.

The proto-indo-european word means "destroyer", so in a sense there was never a word that just meant "bear" in the abstract.

Though I wonder what would happen if you applied all the sound shifts (Grimm's law etc) to *h₂r̥tḱós

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

The proto-indo-european word means "destroyer", so in a sense there was never a word that just meant "bear" in the abstract.

Though I wonder what would happen if you applied all the sound shifts (Grimm's law etc) to *h₂r̥tḱós

You'd get Arctos, the root word of 'Arctic' meaning 'bears are here' and a likely candidate for the 'lost word' per an article I read once and half remember.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Monkey posted:

You'd get Arctos, the root word of 'Arctic' meaning 'bears are here' and a likely candidate for the 'lost word' per an article I read once and half remember.

That's basically the Greek word, though. I should have said Germanic sound shifts (to get English, Scandinavian, etc), it should evolve differently in Germanic areas, no?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

flavor.flv posted:

Oh so when a lady is talking about her "unmentionables" she's probably talking about bears? Thanks, that always confused me

E: no wait now I'm even more confused

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

Ok. Greg Lost and Elizabeth Lost, then.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Poke around on Google a little and you'll find some (armchair?) linguists who have taken a shot at reconstructing the PIE word. I'm on mobile right now, or I'd post a link or two. I think somebody discussed it briefly here on SA not too long ago as well. Maybe even in this thread!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh so when a lady is talking about her "unmentionables" she's probably talking about bears? Thanks, that always confused me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Bear with me, but I just realized that Outer Worlds and Outer Wilds are two different games. For a couple years now I couldn't figure out why people were talking about the same game with wildly different gameplay.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Marcade posted:

Bear with me, but I just realized that Outer Worlds and Outer Wilds are two different games. For a couple years now I couldn't figure out why people were talking about the same game with wildly different gameplay.

I've played them both, and I could not tell you which was which off the top of my head with 100% certainty.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Outer Wilds is groundhog day in space. Outer Worlds is an Obsidian RPG in space.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Hirayuki posted:

Poke around on Google a little and you'll find some (armchair?) linguists who have taken a shot at reconstructing the PIE word. I'm on mobile right now, or I'd post a link or two. I think somebody discussed it briefly here on SA not too long ago as well. Maybe even in this thread!

nice try, you just want us to get eaten by greg bears

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The reverse of Peepee Poopoo Man is Woman Peepee Poopoo.

I'm having a hard time dealing

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Marcade posted:

Yeah, I've played both and I still have to stop and think for a bit to make sure I'm using the right name.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The lead writer of Outer Wilds then went on to be a narrative designer on a few of the DLCs for Outer Worlds, just to make it a little bit more confusing.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Outer Wilds is the one that starts in the wilderness. The Outer Worlds is the one that starts with "The".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Outer Wilds is a better name for a better game, legitimately how I remember it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hirayuki posted:

https://charlierussellbears.com/LinguisticArchaeology.html

quote:

The Latin word for bear is "ursus", from which is derived the name for the constellation Ursa Major (Big Dipper), and the English adjective "ursine", meaning "bear-like". The French word for bear, "ours", is derived from the Latin. The ancient Greek word for bear is "arktos", from which is derived the star name "Arcturus", meaning "guardian of the bear" (from its position behind the tail of the bear constellation Ursa Major), and the adjective and noun "arctic", meaning "north", again a reference to the northern constellation of the bear. The Sanskrit word for bear is "rkshas" (in ASCII transliteration; the "r" being pronounced more like a vowel than a consonant). Old Celtic had a similar bear word (*arto-), from which the Welsh word "arth" and the name "Arthur" are derived.

From these words in four separate branches of Indo-European (Italic, Greek, Indic, and Celtic), linguists have reconstructed the PIE word for bear as *rktho-, *rkto-, *rkso-, or *rtko-. An asterisk simply marks a word as being a hypothetical reconstruction. The alternative forms show that the reconstruction of Indo-European root words is not always an exact science.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i wouldn't say that out loud if i were you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I just now realized that since Americans say dog breeds and not dog races, you might've been missing a key part to why other people get so upset about using the word race for people.

Do most people globally know that there's common history between racism, eugenics, dog breeding and the word race? I'm a bit shuck now