Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Endorph posted:

technically speaking 'ephebophile' includes 18 and 19 year olds so there is that distinction, but, somehow the people who are very insistent about that distinction arent the guys who are just into college girls.

Honestly, I'm not sure that the creeps super excited about 18th birthdays are actually any better than the creeps arguing over how it's actually ephebophilia.

It kind of even makes it creepier if you took the time to look up all the relevant legalities and loopholes on age of consent in order to justify why it's ok for you to lust after [child in question] in 3 months 5 days 12 hours and 32 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For the uninitiated, what does 35-0 mean in this context?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The number of rulings that have gone against Vic / his lolyers, I think

Caros
May 14, 2008

BobHoward posted:

The number of rulings that have gone against Vic / his lolyers, I think

I legit thought it was a 'this is how old Vic was when his victims were born' thing.

I like your version better.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure that the creeps super excited about 18th birthdays are actually any better than the creeps arguing over how it's actually ephebophilia.

It kind of even makes it creepier if you took the time to look up all the relevant legalities and loopholes on age of consent in order to justify why it's ok for you to lust after [child in question] in 3 months 5 days 12 hours and 32 minutes.

I agree 100% but if they're putting in the effort to make sure they're not blatantly committing crimes I have to...just shrug, I guess. It still ain't great, but it meets the barest minimum possible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Caros posted:

I legit thought it was a 'this is how old Vic was when his victims were born' thing.

I like your version better.

that would put them in their 20s

and as the Ladytron song goes...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

It's a sliver of restraint, more than you get from people like the legally declared sack of poo poo Vic Mignogna.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ConanThe3rd posted:

For the uninitiated, what does 35-0 mean in this context?

There were 17 claims in the lawsuit. All were thrown out, so 17-0. Then the appeals court ruled that those claims were all correctly thrown out, so 34-0. Then there was a cross-appeal by the people Vic sued saying that damages were too low and the appeals court agreed, so 35-0

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The court has filed a mail sent by a Vic stan

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1561957592544358400?t=btDw6aeUjVLYQ4Rx3AIDgQ&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what's the opposite of amicus curiae in latin

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Stanus curiae

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Alan Smithee posted:

that would put them in their 20s

and as the Ladytron song goes...

“They only want you when you’re 17
When you’re 21, you’re no fun”

For the non-Ladytron fans reading, it’s about going to a cattle call type audition where you get a photo taken. No indication of what kind of auction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, we didn't even get 'while you were studying the law I was studying the blade' this time.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

This person if/since they were Percy Ty Beard, esq.:“How dare the trial judge not consider my attempt to sandbag defense counsel by backdooring in an entirely different responsive motion through a brand new petition after Labor Day because I hosed up and missed the deadline I agreed to, complete with my three fraudulently notarized affidavits”

“Pls don’t look at how I accidentally established my defendant as a public figure in this defamation suit, and pls really don’t look at how my client admitted under oath and demonstrated on video that he likes to get real close and grab the hairs of some of his coworkers”

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 23, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shame they brought Vic back for those Full Metal Alchemist movies. They are bad films, but it's an interesting to see them try to re-create the series so dependant on sfx and a seemingly limited budget.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

Shame they brought Vic back for those Full Metal Alchemist movies. They are bad films, but it's an interesting to see them try to re-create the series so dependant on sfx and a seemingly limited budget.

Only for the first one, Ed has a new dub actor in the second movie

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Who was it, the guy who replaced him for the Rohan OVAs?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Who was it, the guy who replaced him for the Rohan OVAs?

Never saw the OVAs so I’m not sure but in the dub of the latest movie he’s voiced by Caleb Yen:

https://imdb.com/name/nm9242088/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Never saw the OVAs so I’m not sure but in the dub of the latest movie he’s voiced by Caleb Yen:

https://imdb.com/name/nm9242088/

Ooo. Neat. Funimation should go back and redub this guy over Vic in FMA 03, Brotherhood, Conquerer of Shambala, and Sacred Star of Milos.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't the first live action FMA suck out loud though? I'm amazed they made a second one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Didn't the first live action FMA suck out loud though? I'm amazed they made a second one.

And there’s a third one on the way now as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NWFrIQLYyhw

The second movie was slightly better paced than the first one at least but overall it still feels like someone’s fanfilm

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That looks better, my main complaint with the first movie from what I saw before I noped out, was that Alphonse was only in the movie at the beginning before they decided he was too expensive to animate, rather than trying to do something with a practical suit actor, and Edward wore a long sleeved shirt and glove the entire movie outside of the dramatic automail reveal so they wouldn't have to CG that either. Which they appear to be addressing, and also just having a lot more incidental alchemy in general. Though i'm not sure how they're planning on covering what was like, 30 episodes of the anime in a single movie?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 24, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

That looks better, my main complaint with the first movie from what I saw before I noped out, was that Alphonse was only in the movie at the beginning before they decided he was too expensive to animate, rather than trying to do something with a practical suit actor, and Edward wore a long sleeved shirt and glove the entire movie outside of the dramatic automail reveal so they wouldn't have to CG that either. Which they appear to be addressing, and also just having a lot more incidental alchemy in general. Though i'm not sure how they're planning on covering what was like, 30 episodes of the anime in a single movie?

They crammed most of the Scar arc into the second movie which covers the events from Ling’s debut up to Ed being swallowed by Gluttony and it seems like the third one will wrap it all up (it’s likely going to be rushed as hell though)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

that's only 10-12 episodes of Brotherhood depending on if they escaped from the stomach or not. "The rest of the series" is 34 episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kurieg posted:

that's only 10-12 episodes of Brotherhood depending on if they escaped from the stomach or not. "The rest of the series" is 34 episodes.

Nope, the second movie ends on a “To be continued” right after Envy shifts into his monster form

Considering the next film is called “The Final Transmutation” I assume it’s going to be a trilogy at any rate but who knows

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The shot of Ed with the rebar through his arm is from the final battle so yeah they're just gonna shotgun like... four whole arcs into one movie.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh fantastic. Can watch it guilt free then. ...tho the series is encouraging giving Brotherhood a shake which will have the same issue. Separation of art and artist I suppose.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, but in a way that's totally watchable. Sub-par action, mild-to-ok CGI, great costumes, and overly dramatic acting/script. The sequel introduces the cavalcade of other military characters, and they're surprisingly well cast. They nail Armstrong, for example. So if you liked the show, it warrants a look imo. Just go in with low expectations and enjoy it for the bollywood-esque curiosity it is.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You can always watch the subbed version. I don’t think vic got involved with that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

you should all be watching subs anyway

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, it makes it easier to ignore the bad delivery when I can't fully understand it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I legitimately can’t stand Ed’s Japanese VA, so unless I went to the effort of finding a “Garfield Minus Garfield” edit of FMA, that’s kind of a no-go. :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Regalingualius posted:

I legitimately can’t stand Ed’s Japanese VA, so

:dogbutton:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The FMAB Dub is one of the all time greats though. It sucks that Vic is the main character but the rest of the staff, as far as I know, aren't sex pests.

RIP ed baylock, your performance as King Bradley was incredible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Monaghan posted:

The FMAB Dub is one of the all time greats though. It sucks that Vic is the main character but the rest of the staff, as far as I know, aren't sex pests.

Haberkorn notwithstanding

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, the FMA dub was honestly one of the better ones I’ve seen with a great cast most of the way around

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 26, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In that case I give you permission to watch and enjoy the dub without it being an endorsement of vic and absolve you of the need to handwring about his presence

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If it helps, in Soul Eater Vic is the MC's dad and is also a giant perv. That feels even more on the nose.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
just watch fmab illegally and then youre not giving vic money by watching him, which is the only angle this conversation could even possibly matter or have any consequences in. its that simple.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I don't think he gets residuals, so he wouldn't see that money anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

just watch fmab illegally and then youre not giving vic money by watching him, which is the only angle this conversation could even possibly matter or have any consequences in. its that simple.

It’s not just about the money, though.

Like every time I’m watching it, there’s now always the lingering background thought that this was the role that springboarded him into becoming as big of a sexpest as he did because of how insanely popular both FMAs were