Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My wife’s father was Cuban and so has a lot of Cuban American family. They vote R because “we came to America the right way and all those who are coming illegally should be stopped”. Lobsters in a bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

BigPaddy posted:

My wife’s father was Cuban and so has a lot of Cuban American family. They vote R because “we came to America the right way and all those who are coming illegally should be stopped”. Lobsters in a bucket.

The UK has a surprisingly large percentage of second generation immigrant politicians who are positively giddy at the prospect of competing with each other over who can kick the biggest ladders away to ensure there are no more people like them.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Glad to hear it's not working down there.
Oddly enough, the majority in the US aren't MAGA - they're just very loud, colorful idiots, but that doesn't matter because the loving Right spent decades jerrymandering the gently caress out of voting districts to collect all the gullible idiots together.
I'm astounded how Latinos are moving to the Republican party, but given how much the Dems are focusing on poo poo that's high-brow but has zero effect on day-to-day difficulties of, you know, living, it becomes somewhat understandable. Not that the Right is going to do anything about affordable housing, employment and wages, which is actually what's causing most people pain. Quite the opposite, but for some reason...

when someone is faced with the choice between the "pretends to care about you but actually makes everything worse for you on purpose" party and the "doesn't try to hide how little they're interested in making any change in either direction" party, i can see why the former might have some attraction if you don't look too close. it doesn't make that the right decision, but i can see why someone might make it

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

gently caress you, got mine. The rallying cry of the republican party.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

gently caress you, got mine. The rallying cry of the republican party the United States.

So much FYGM and doing things while only looking out for your best interests.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Darchangel posted:

I'm astounded how Latinos are moving to the Republican party, but given how much the Dems are focusing on poo poo that's high-brow but has zero effect on day-to-day difficulties of, you know, living, it becomes somewhat understandable. Not that the Right is going to do anything about affordable housing, employment and wages, which is actually what's causing most people pain. Quite the opposite, but for some reason...

It’s like the agricultural sector here in Australia votes almost exclusively for the liberal/national party, who without fail ALWAYS fucks over the agricultural and rural sectors. I don’t know whether it’s just stubbornness or ingrained stupidity at this point?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
IME (albeit from a different country) it's because farmers are all convinced that 1)if it wasn't for all the taxes and bureaucracy I could make my farm into a money printing paradise and 2) if I vote for anyone that isn't conservative or maaaaybe libertarian Lenin will literally rise from his grave to nationalize my farm and have me killed as a kulak.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Possibly should go here? Modern child labor in Hyundai subsidiary in Alabama

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ex...i51gvfP3kAv1i7E

Here's a bit of a taste -

quote:

Reuters learned of underage workers at the Hyundai-owned supplier following the brief disappearance in February of a Guatemalan migrant child from her family's home in Alabama.

The girl, who turns 14 this month, and her two brothers, aged 12 and 15, all worked at the plant earlier this year and weren't going to school, according to people familiar with their employment. Their father, Pedro Tzi, confirmed these people's account in an interview with Reuters.

Police in the Tzi family's adopted hometown of Enterprise also told Reuters that the girl and her siblings had worked at SMART. The police, who helped locate the missing girl, at the time of their search identified her by name in a public alert.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

IME (albeit from a different country) it's because farmers are all convinced that 1)if it wasn't for all the taxes and bureaucracy I could make my farm into a money printing paradise and 2) if I vote for anyone that isn't conservative or maaaaybe libertarian Lenin will literally rise from his grave to nationalize my farm and have me killed as a kulak.

Not to mention that nowadays farms are big business, or, even worse, small business

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Ferremit posted:

It’s like the agricultural sector here in Australia votes almost exclusively for the liberal/national party, who without fail ALWAYS fucks over the agricultural and rural sectors. I don’t know whether it’s just stubbornness or ingrained stupidity at this point?

Read "What's the Matter with Kansas" to understand this a bit more.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I guess it's on topic, but maybe as a counter example, perhaps a little palette cleanser if you will.

I was stoked to see M&M in the latest Mighty Car Mods video talking aboout mental health and their ambassadorship for a mental health org (reachout.com)

I think this thread, by it's nature, has the potential to be a lot of doom and gloom. It's great we're going our due diligence and making sure we know what we're consuming and who we're supporting. Perhaps it might be worthwhile looking for some bright spots too?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

slothrop posted:

I guess it's on topic, but maybe as a counter example, perhaps a little palette cleanser if you will.

I was stoked to see M&M in the latest Mighty Car Mods video talking aboout mental health and their ambassadorship for a mental health org (reachout.com)

I think this thread, by it's nature, has the potential to be a lot of doom and gloom. It's great we're going our due diligence and making sure we know what we're consuming and who we're supporting. Perhaps it might be worthwhile looking for some bright spots too?

Those two seem like genuinely good dudes and I know there are people here who've met them and have said the same.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Toyota, upset that their BEV strategy is so dismal, choosing to heavy the UK govt by threatening to shut down manufacturing if they go ahead with hybrid ban in 2035.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/30/toyota-warns-government-may-stop-manufacturing-uk-bans-hybrid/

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’m sure this isn’t a plan to get the gov’t to fund their BEV development.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The UK government will pay because there are no British mass manufacturers anymore only Japanese, German (Mini) and Stellantis who have plants in the country. I guess Ford have a Diesel engine plant in Dagenham still there unless that closed in the last decade. Lots of small sports car and super car manufacturers which is what counts right?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BigPaddy posted:

The UK government will pay because there are no British mass manufacturers anymore only Japanese, German (Mini) and Stellantis who have plants in the country. I guess Ford have a Diesel engine plant in Dagenham still there unless that closed in the last decade. Lots of small sports car and super car manufacturers which is what counts right?

I assume that the Tories can find a way to spin it as "levelling up" to only sell exclusive high dollar sports cars to rich people, not gross hatchbacks for poors.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Toyota, upset that their BEV strategy is so dismal, choosing to heavy the UK govt by threatening to shut down manufacturing if they go ahead with hybrid ban in 2035.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/30/toyota-warns-government-may-stop-manufacturing-uk-bans-hybrid/

UK are quite fine with leaving without planning, not sure how Toyota can win this?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

UK are quite fine with leaving without planning, not sure how Toyota can win this?

Yeah best case they're left selling hybrids while buyers all want EV's??

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1555316106960769024

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

W...what are these replies, but also, why am I surprised

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Someone might want to hit up Ken Block about his newest sponsor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1561765433576869888

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Ah gently caress for real? C'mon Ken, don't be a loving shithead.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You had me wondering what the hell I did there for a moment.

I wish I was even slightly surprised that someone in motorsport was like this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That thread is a big 'ol yikes

https://twitter.com/TNawtical/status/1561926634604838912?s=20&t=Ad_IQihpQ90PnwwZ34Bneg

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Guys it is just Super Sport coffee come on!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gently caress all of those people

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

Someone might want to hit up Ken Block about his newest sponsor.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1561765433576869888

lmao

I'm an idiot and like a lot of Hoovie's videos and Freddy's does have some great burgers (their shakes are to die for) but he gives off serious "cool-guy-boss-who-is-actually-a-huge-prick" vibes. No concrete proof but that's the vibe I get.

I refuse to believe that car wizard is anything but great to work for (as long as you're a competant mechanic)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Hoovie is a rich failson who inherited his grandad's franchise. IDK if he's a prick but he's definitely someone who tries way too hard to be "just one of the guys".

Wizard kinda pissed me off when he got super sniffy about some 20 year old turbo Beetle and went in on the previous owners for being neglectful monsters. Like bro, not everyone has their own shop and there's a HIGH chance that this was the only car they could afford and could probably not afford to keep it in top condition. Get off your high horse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
you want fewer chuds overrepresented in car culture, gotta start making your own content goons

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I refuse to YouTube.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’m still waiting for that OnlyVans link.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ok Comboomer posted:

you want fewer chuds overrepresented in car culture, gotta start making your own content goons

I've got a face made for radio and a voice made for silent film. Would be fun to try the content creator gravy train but it's the confidence that kills it

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I can do the filming and editing part but I have no money for projects or road trips. The last video I made was a year ago of me driving from West Yellowstone to Big Horn, MT, is 1hr45m long and I think has like 100 views, 30 of those are easily me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

I can do the filming and editing part but I have no money for projects or road trips. The last video I made was a year ago of me driving from West Yellowstone to Big Horn, MT, is 1hr45m long and I think has like 100 views, 30 of those are easily me.

we gotta find you a goon with a project to film

what about the dude that imports old jdm trucks?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Editing is a nightmare. I also hate filming when working on a project because it distracts and makes everything take ten times as long. I also have no garage or even parking for any additional cars.

What I'm trying to say is let's start a goon project.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

I only have a GoPro and my iPhone right now for recording but I built my computer partially in mind for video editing so I can do 4k60fps poo poo no problem. I’m in Sacramento area if there actually is anyone who wants to start something but doesn’t want to do the filming and editing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

The big issues is that lets say if I did a series on say restoring a rare MY2000 Clubspec EVO4 WRX - which I am contemplating because that car is going to be a lot of interesting work - is that unless you are say MCM you have to combat the algorithm and that means mostly being the same lovely spam that yooootooobers vomit out because thats what will get pushed to people. MCM have been around so long the algorithm barely matters and also they have daytime jobs so Youtube can be a passion project and they can do whatever they want as getting the youtube bucks doesnt matter to them.

Also to do a series that will be interesting takes a lot of work to plan, script, film, edit and publish, of which can be several hours and that's not even the hour or so just it'll take me to start the car and get it into the garage to even start the project. Sure I could dash off 10 mins of gonzo footage that would be decently shot because I have photo and video skills but it would be boring as gently caress and who the hell wants to listen to some dickhead trying to come up with witty banter on the fly? SuperFastMatt spends hours/days coming up with his stuff to voiceover. Lord knows how much time Project Binky takes to film and edit.

Another point is something Roman Atwood bought up while doing a podcast with Cleetus is that controversy sells the clicks. poo poo like Whistin Dickhead are cancer but it undeniably gets the clicks. You can have the best script, camerawork and editing with best music etc and will still likely go nowhere. Start a fight with a restaurant and watch that take off.

Hey, if people want to watch some smartass Aussie restore a POS, fine (And I'll do the video anyway because that helps document where parts go in three years time). But I'll bet right now not a single video will get more than 500 views at best.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Lotta good stuff here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The big issues is that lets say if I did a series on say restoring a rare MY2000 Clubspec EVO4 WRX - which I am contemplating because that car is going to be a lot of interesting work - is that unless you are say MCM you have to combat the algorithm and that means mostly being the same lovely spam that yooootooobers vomit out because thats what will get pushed to people. MCM have been around so long the algorithm barely matters and also they have daytime jobs so Youtube can be a passion project and they can do whatever they want as getting the youtube bucks doesnt matter to them.

While there's a lot of stuff you have to do to feed the algo (Like and subscribe! The Youtuber shocked face thumbnails etc, which Matt Farah mentioned can *double* his views), those are more about driving engagement, which pleases the algo and keeps your video getting pushed to both your subscribers and new viewers. The algo doesn't like human faces in thumbnails - the actual humans doing the clicking do because we're dumb animals, which means engagement which means better promotion from the algo. It's the same reason we put humans using the product in ads, they do better than just images of the product. Like and subscribe is the "call to action", oh hey now you're engaging again.

The 'same lovely spam' thing applies to the content choices you make in order to attract viewers, hence "Buying and fixing the cheapest Lambo on Co-part" - those get clicks not because of the algo, but because every chucklefuck with a socket set thinks "hey maybe I could do that too". That's more about firstly building your channel, but then the next problem you hit is that your viewers came to you because you're the fixing supercars guy. On boat channels you see a similar thing, people subscribe for the dude fixing his boat on the hard, but once the fixing is done and you're off sailing, those people didn't come to watch you sail the Caribbean. Hence the proliferation of "secondary channels", because doing anything other than what your regular content is pisses off your viewers, which means what? They engage less, so the algo frowns upon you. Again, Farah has given several examples of stuff that tanks his numbers - motorbikes, cars on track in particular. Different length videos even! If all your videos are 10mins, suddenly you do a 20min video? No good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also to do a series that will be interesting takes a lot of work to plan, script, film, edit and publish, of which can be several hours and that's not even the hour or so just it'll take me to start the car and get it into the garage to even start the project. Sure I could dash off 10 mins of gonzo footage that would be decently shot because I have photo and video skills but it would be boring as gently caress and who the hell wants to listen to some dickhead trying to come up with witty banter on the fly? SuperFastMatt spends hours/days coming up with his stuff to voiceover. Lord knows how much time Project Binky takes to film and edit.

On top of all the creativity and skill that goes into ALL of the parts of filming it, you've actually got to have a personality too. Say what people will about the current Youtubers, like them or hate them, they've all mostly got strong personalities. You've got to be ON, I'm not interested in some goon droning on as they fight rusted bolts for hours, the quiet unassuming guys have to be REALLY skilled technically, or interesting in *some way*. Look at Skid Factory Al - most of the time his quiet demeanour wouldn't be a recipe for success, but he builds interesting as gently caress poo poo, knows what the hell he's talking about, and he IS a funny guy, he's quiet but not devoid of personality. Plus he's got Woody to bounce off. I'm not saying everyone has to be Richard Rawlins BIG, but it goes a long way. Demuro might be irritating but he's also the only guy who deep dives into all the little 'quirks and features' that literally no one else does. That's interesting in its own way.

As for time - conservative estimates say it doubles the time, probably even more when you're new. That's why the Irish dude who stop motioned his builds was so mindblowing, I think he estimated it at least quadrupled his time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Another point is something Roman Atwood bought up while doing a podcast with Cleetus is that controversy sells the clicks. poo poo like Whistin Dickhead are cancer but it undeniably gets the clicks. You can have the best script, camerawork and editing with best music etc and will still likely go nowhere. Start a fight with a restaurant and watch that take off.

Yup. Sure, some guys get lucky, some guys have one video go viral and it builds from there, others are smart businessmen and manage to stumble into fantastic opportunities (Cleetus a mix of that, first with the throwaway Cleetus character going big, then being in the right time and place to pick up the Freedom Factory which had the added bonus of hitting the "abandoned thing* subject, which is also a popular click grabbing subject), others have just been years of grind, others are rich kids (Some might put Shmee in this category but I highly recommend the interview he did with Jonny Smith, he grew up privileged but not supercar wealthy, he's built his fortunes through hard work and smart money management), and yet others are Whistlin Diesel.

Going back to MCM for a second, I'd suggest the other reason apart from dayjobs they can care less about the algo is they (like an increasing amount of others) have built other income streams and aren't as reliant on straight ad-rev, so merch, big sponsorships (Supercheap in MCM's case, regular ad-reads in others) and the like. The merch numbers I've seen implied for big channels are impressive - one single run of a particular print funding an entire build even.

Long story short it's hard work and a grind even for people experienced in traditional media production.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
SavageGeese have talked a bunch about their process—how the “boring” content about stuff like the KIA Telluride/etc that gets a jillion views from every dad who googles “KIA Telluride 2022 review comparison ranked car & driver consumer reports” subsidizes the enthusiast passion content like their recent Corvette documentary that might only get a few tens of thousand and took months of work to make

but/and consistency and frequency are also really important because Robots. Successful channels these days have to balance cutting 50 hours into writing/shooting/cutting a 35 minute mini movie that you can only realistically make once every few weeks without a pro team vs banging out some 10 minute subscriber Q+A clips and reactions to car news or quick tips or whatever on your phone and an uncut video recording of your podcast so you have stuff to feed the algo every week.

And if you actually are gonna make a go of monetizing it, to work on getting as much of your revenue stream away from YouTube ads (Patreon, etc) as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

It may be easier to do the "helpful indian youtuber" thing where you just do small bits on common repairs and stuff that people like me need to look up when they do work. From there you may find people egging you on for more content that will give you a better idea of if its worth doing or not.....