Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Considering a general strike is illegal & nothing about the TUC leadership even hints at a willingness to challenge Thatcher's anti-worker legislation, anyone assuming a general strike is optimistic to a fault.

I mean, a lot of things that would have to be done would be illegal. It's not this one weird trick that stops strikes. Propaganda has really done a number on this country. Even if we were in a position to really improve things a whole bunch of people who should support us would turn away from us because apparently this would have to be done completely legally and without anybody getting hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

heck most businesses are brought to a standstill just by refusing to do overtime

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

People would die from a general strike. People die from a lot of things. They're dying from the status quo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Can't wait for the TUC to announce its new range of NFTs

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

Can't wait for the TUC to announce its new range of NFTs

TUCoin

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I mean, a lot of things that would have to be done would be illegal. It's not this one weird trick that stops strikes. Propaganda has really done a number on this country. Even if we were in a position to really improve things a whole bunch of people who should support us would turn away from us because apparently this would have to be done completely legally and without anybody getting hurt.

You don't have to convince me that. I've no problem with breaking explicitly anti-worker laws but I don't think the TUC are quite that blazé

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it could be worse, we could be like ukraine and just have trade unions basically outlawed, ironically something pushed for by our own government

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

it could be worse, we could be like ukraine and just have trade unions basically outlawed, ironically something pushed for by our own government

A crosspost but relevant to yours:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

..... Ukrainian parliament did approve the law on July 19, and it got signed by Zelenskyy on August 17. The law targets SMBs (<251 headcount), rather than everyone, and only the employees of thereof with salary more than 8 times larger than the legal minimum wage. While SMBs are the majority employer, I haven’t seen the stats that would account for the salary threshold.

Another important caveat that they neglect to mention is that not only the law was unpopular with the people, but also that it was unpopular with the parliament, which did only approve it after amending it on the second reading with a clause that constrains it to being in effect only for as long as the country is under martial law. When that is lifted, this law as-is is nil and void, on the same day. Furthermore, the government claims that they’ll have adopted and implemented the acquis (“EU law”) by 2024, which, as stated, is a safeguard against 5371 getting a future amendment establishing its permanence, since at-will employment is explicitly illegal in EU.

Nevertheless, this is a problematic law for labourers while it is in effect, and does clearly signal that the government is prioritising survival of SMBs over consistent preservation of workers’ rights, even if it comes with some unexpected benefits like finally securing employee’s rights to set the duration of their holiday up to the longest duration permitted under the laws and their individual contract (before, employer could refuse you to give your 24 days off in one piece).

Sources:

https://itd.rada.gov.ua/billInfo/Bills/Card/26241
https://biz.ligazakon.net/ru/analitycs/213022_novaya-model-trudovykh-otnosheniy-s-rabotnikami-chto-izmenit-zakonoproekt-5371 (this will be readable well enough through DeepL translator)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

..... Candidate member states are under an obligation to implement the acquis communautaire significantly in advance of joining the EU, since besides adoption and implementation, in legal sense, enforcement of thereof is evaluated as well. Consequently, under assumption of continued course towards becoming an EU member state, Ukraine will need to have all EU laws fully operational years before they can formally become a member state.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

A crosspost but relevant to yours:

oh phew that’s ok then

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/the_tuc/status/1562190682424758273?s=21&t=uSG_kY_JaG2TnTfo7TeRcg

Lmfao

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well, that's about expected from the TUC unfortunately.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I dunno why I expected anything different. Fucks sake.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Weak as piss

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
let's just pretend they said general strike and carry on as if

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

*long slow fart noise*

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Is it that disappointing to campaign for a minimum wage nearly 60% higher than the current one? Immediately increasing the minimum wage to £15/hr and then implementing Labour’s (shockingly good) policy of linking it to inflation would be categorically cool and good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

£15 min wage would be very nice mind.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Halisnacks posted:

Is it that disappointing to campaign for a minimum wage nearly 60% higher than the current one? Immediately increasing the minimum wage to £15/hr and then implementing Labour’s (shockingly good) policy of linking it to inflation would be categorically cool and good.

It's a petition and some posters

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kemikalkadet posted:

Prime real estate near the coast with good transport connections.

if only the lorries realised their power against so small and few polises

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you put enough lorries on the runway you can still land planes on it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

crispix posted:

if only the lorries realised their power against so small and few polises

Anarcho-DAF Commune when?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

the problem is that "launching a campaign" for something is the equivalent of one of those petitions on Parliament's website, it's never going to achieve anything

they've said "we want £15" and the government are going to say "lol no" and that'll be the end of it

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Their aim is to get the £15 minimum wage by *2030*, ffs, as if it didn't sound milquetoast enough

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When you feel bloated and you want a good solid poo poo but all you get is a long fart interspersed with burning diarrhoea. :rolleyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Answers Me posted:

Their aim is to get the £15 minimum wage by *2030*, ffs, as if it didn't sound milquetoast enough

So (15/9.5)^(1/8) is equivalent to 5.88% inflation p.a. for 8 years.
Hm.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Penny chews will be £15 by 2030.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

If you put enough lorries on the runway you can still land planes on it.

Sure, at least once

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
it, and its hashtag, are basically the same as the US Fight For $15 campaign, so my initial Google searches all came back with the US campaign instead of the TUC's one even when i included the '£' sign

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fart for 15

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CGI Stardust posted:

it, and its hashtag, are basically the same as the US Fight For $15 campaign, so my initial Google searches all came back with the US campaign instead of the TUC's one even when i included the '£' sign

include the pound sign in quotes maybe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
(not this doesn’t mean they need to do a better job because lol at non nerds doin that)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Means tested £15/h minimum skill wallets.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Fart for 15

PM me

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1562166669652393984?t=x2S6s-pEonchWYbQbBU2Mw&s=33

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I did think about that.

That means there's not enough jobs for them?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Microplastics posted:

I did think about that.

That means there's not enough jobs for them?

I'm assuming he misspoke and meant to say it the other way around. Probably giving him to much credit though.

I mean either way he's still a prick who want's to cut benefits when people are already barely hanging on, so doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Time to get these welfare scroungers back to work, instead of paying for them to sit around drinking tea, watching Bargain Hunt on their big flatscreen colour televisions.

Pensioners, he means you. Get in the ditch. And dig it.